Record $159 Million in TIF Awarded in 2022

Discussion of current events, news, the latest happenings in Omaha
User avatar
skinzfan23
City Council
Posts: 11628
Joined: Mon Feb 09, 2004 11:26 am
Location: Omaha/Bellevue

Record $159 Million in TIF Awarded in 2022

Post by skinzfan23 »

Omaha had record-breaking year in 2022 with $159 million in TIF loans
From 2015 to 2021, total TIF approvals averaged $42.3 million per year.

Since 2000, the highest single-year total was in 2016. Thirty projects yielded nearly $70 million in TIF loans that year.
Obviously, the numbers are misleading somewhat, because the majority of TIF ($68.6 Million was awarded to Mutual, which is building our first new skyscraper since 2004)
Athomsfere
Planning Board
Posts: 2300
Joined: Mon Sep 14, 2015 10:03 pm

Re: Record $159 Million in TIF Awarded in 2022

Post by Athomsfere »

Obviously partisan news.

You'd expect in a city with TIF, every year would be be the record as the city grows and inflation does too.

Also, this maybe belongs in Discussion?
User avatar
Brad
Photographer
Posts: 1036554
Joined: Sat Feb 28, 2004 6:03 pm
Location: Omaha, NE

Re: Record $159 Million in TIF Awarded in 2022

Post by Brad »

If you want to hear it straight from the city, you can start watching this video at the 30:05 mark and it runs through the 45:40, then some people talk.

Then at 54:25 TIF is clarified. If you don't understand TIF, start watching at the 54:25 mark.

User avatar
Big E
City Council
Posts: 8176
Joined: Thu Jan 27, 2005 11:12 am

Re: Record $159 Million in TIF Awarded in 2022

Post by Big E »

Brad wrote: Mon May 01, 2023 9:23 pmIf you don't understand TIF, start watching at the 54:25 mark.
What if I dont understand TIF but simultaneously DON'T want to understand TIF, because then I might realize all my blustering was ill-informed all this time and if I'm wrong about that I could also be wrong about other things...? Did you think about that, Brad? Did you?
Stable genius.
Louie
County Board
Posts: 4936
Joined: Fri Dec 23, 2011 4:23 pm
Location: Dundee

Re: Record $159 Million in TIF Awarded in 2022

Post by Louie »

Big E wrote: Tue May 02, 2023 6:43 am
Brad wrote: Mon May 01, 2023 9:23 pmIf you don't understand TIF, start watching at the 54:25 mark.
What if I dont understand TIF but simultaneously DON'T want to understand TIF, because then I might realize all my blustering was ill-informed all this time and if I'm wrong about that I could also be wrong about other things...? Did you think about that, Brad? Did you?
Wow, Brad, I can't believe you've done this...
User avatar
thenewguy
County Board
Posts: 4329
Joined: Fri Oct 19, 2007 9:50 pm
Location: Council Bluffs

Re: Record $159 Million in TIF Awarded in 2022

Post by thenewguy »

Big E wrote: Tue May 02, 2023 6:43 am
Brad wrote: Mon May 01, 2023 9:23 pmIf you don't understand TIF, start watching at the 54:25 mark.
What if I dont understand TIF but simultaneously DON'T want to understand TIF, because then I might realize all my blustering was ill-informed all this time and if I'm wrong about that I could also be wrong about other things...? Did you think about that, Brad? Did you?
won't someone *please* think of the children?
Go Cubs Go
Athomsfere
Planning Board
Posts: 2300
Joined: Mon Sep 14, 2015 10:03 pm

Re: Record $159 Million in TIF Awarded in 2022

Post by Athomsfere »

thenewguy wrote: Tue May 02, 2023 8:12 am
Big E wrote: Tue May 02, 2023 6:43 am
Brad wrote: Mon May 01, 2023 9:23 pmIf you don't understand TIF, start watching at the 54:25 mark.
What if I dont understand TIF but simultaneously DON'T want to understand TIF, because then I might realize all my blustering was ill-informed all this time and if I'm wrong about that I could also be wrong about other things...? Did you think about that, Brad? Did you?
won't someone *please* think of the children?
I was told children are TIF exempt.

Joke aside, I love TIF. It might not be perfect, but it's a fine tool.
User avatar
Brad
Photographer
Posts: 1036554
Joined: Sat Feb 28, 2004 6:03 pm
Location: Omaha, NE

Re: Record $159 Million in TIF Awarded in 2022

Post by Brad »

Big E wrote: Tue May 02, 2023 6:43 am
Brad wrote: Mon May 01, 2023 9:23 pmIf you don't understand TIF, start watching at the 54:25 mark.
What if I dont understand TIF but simultaneously DON'T want to understand TIF, because then I might realize all my blustering was ill-informed all this time and if I'm wrong about that I could also be wrong about other things...? Did you think about that, Brad? Did you?
LOL! No, I didn't think about being wrong about other things. I do think there are people that refuse to learn about it because they have been griping about it so long...