I-70 Through Denver
-
mrsticka
- Planning Board
- Posts: 2501
- Joined: Sat Apr 07, 2012 12:31 am
- Location: Lincoln
I-70 Through Denver
For those old enough to remember Denver's old Stapleton Airport which closed in 1995, one of its runways actually went over I-70. Remember that?
-
nebugeater
- City Council
- Posts: 110950
- Joined: Wed Aug 04, 2004 6:07 pm
- Location: Gretna NE
Re: I-70 Through Denver
Sure, do. That was interesting, to say the least.mrsticka wrote: Thu May 04, 2023 11:50 pm For those old enough to remember Denver's old Stapleton Airport which closed in 1995, one of its runways actually went over I-70. Remember that?
On a side note, I connected through Denver on a flight on what I believe was day 3 of the new airport in operation, I know for sure it was week one but fairly confident it was day 3.
For the record NEBUGEATER does not equal BUGEATER !!!!!!!
-
mrsticka
- Planning Board
- Posts: 2501
- Joined: Sat Apr 07, 2012 12:31 am
- Location: Lincoln
Re: I-70 Through Denver
I only went through Stapleton once. That was back in December 1994 just 2 months before it closed. I had a layover there. In a strange way, it reminded me of Minneapolis' airport. It just had that feeling to it. I can't accurately explain it.
Now about I-70. Originally when it was first built, it was intended to end in Denver. I guess because they felt the Rockies didn't have enough stable terrain for it to navigate through.
Now about I-70. Originally when it was first built, it was intended to end in Denver. I guess because they felt the Rockies didn't have enough stable terrain for it to navigate through.
-
Cermak
- Planning Board
- Posts: 2330
- Joined: Thu Nov 29, 2018 1:02 pm
Re: I-70 Through Denver
I changed planes at Stapleton a few times. it was cool seeing the planes on the bridge when driving on I-70.
-
nativeomahan
- County Board
- Posts: 6013
- Joined: Fri Nov 12, 2004 2:46 pm
- Location: Omaha and Puerto Vallarta
Re: I-70 Through Denver
I well remember Stapleton. They were hemmed in and unable to expand, which was a primary reason why the government spent huge sums of money building an entirely new airport out in what was the empty Colorado High Plains. I’m sure they recouped a chunk of the cost of the new airport by selling off the lucrative land underneath the old airport. Look at aerial maps today and you would be hard pressed to know that there ever was an airport situated just a couple of miles east of downtown.
DEN is now one of the very busiest airports in the entire world.
DEN is now one of the very busiest airports in the entire world.
-
damonhynes
- Parks & Recreation
- Posts: 1278
- Joined: Tue Aug 26, 2014 7:35 pm
- Location: Montgomery County, Texas
Re: I-70 Through Denver
It's amazing to drive E-470. There is barely any way of telling you're on airport property, might as well be a hundred miles away from one. Wild.nativeomahan wrote: Tue May 23, 2023 10:25 am I well remember Stapleton. They were hemmed in and unable to expand, which was a primary reason why the government spent huge sums of money building an entirely new airport out in what was the empty Colorado High Plains. I’m sure they recouped a chunk of the cost of the new airport by selling off the lucrative land underneath the old airport. Look at aerial maps today and you would be hard pressed to know that there ever was an airport situated just a couple of miles east of downtown.
DEN is now one of the very busiest airports in the entire world.
The Gaylord Resort/Convention Center is frikkin' yuge, too.