70th and Dodge
-
Coyote
- City Council
- Posts: 34366
- Joined: Tue Nov 18, 2003 5:18 pm
- Yahoo Messenger: jestcoyote
- Location: Aksarben Village
70th and Dodge
New median will prohibit left turns at 70th and Dodge
City officials plan to reduce crashes at one Omaha intersection by building a median. According to Keep Omaha Moving, operated by Omaha Public Works, the intersection of 70th and Dodge has a “significantly” higher number of crashes than the citywide average at similar intersections. Keep Omaha Moving referenced a traffic study released last September that showed an average of 16 crashes per year, when similar intersections see just 1.5 crashes a year. Currently, there is a median break at 70th and Dodge that lets traffic turn left, either off or onto Dodge Street. Drivers turning left need to cross three lanes of traffic without a stoplight.
The intersection is close to 72nd and Dodge, which sees heavy traffic flow. It also connects to several businesses. Work begins to construct the median in early June and is estimated to take one-to-two weeks to complete. Drivers can still access areas around the intersection by taking different routes through side streets.
-
daveoma
- Parks & Recreation
- Posts: 1213
- Joined: Fri Nov 07, 2014 1:18 am
Re: 70th and Dodge
That seems like a good idea.
-
Louie
- County Board
- Posts: 4939
- Joined: Fri Dec 23, 2011 10:23 pm
- Location: Dundee
-
nativeomahan
- County Board
- Posts: 6013
- Joined: Fri Nov 12, 2004 8:46 pm
- Location: Omaha and Puerto Vallarta
Re: 70th and Dodge
That can’t make the restaurants and other businesses at that intersection very happy. I think it will just move the problem to 69th Street as eastbound traffic desiring to access businesses on the north side of Dodge will have little choice but to make U-turns at 69th. There are absolutely no other options on Dodge for turning left or making a U-turn while heading eastbound.
-
Louie
- County Board
- Posts: 4939
- Joined: Fri Dec 23, 2011 10:23 pm
- Location: Dundee
Re: 70th and Dodge
If you're talking about the restaurants on the north side of Dodge, I've found access from the alley to be easier.nativeomahan wrote: Wed May 17, 2023 4:16 am That can’t make the restaurants and other businesses at that intersection very happy. I think it will just move the problem to 69th Street as eastbound traffic desiring to access businesses on the north side of Dodge will have little choice but to make U-turns at 69th. There are absolutely no other options on Dodge for turning left or making a U-turn while heading eastbound.
-
nativeomahan
- County Board
- Posts: 6013
- Joined: Fri Nov 12, 2004 8:46 pm
- Location: Omaha and Puerto Vallarta
Re: 70th and Dodge
What alley?
-
TransitOriented
- Library Board
- Posts: 379
- Joined: Wed Nov 17, 2021 2:55 pm
Re: 70th and Dodge
Capital Court
-
Louie
- County Board
- Posts: 4939
- Joined: Fri Dec 23, 2011 10:23 pm
- Location: Dundee
Re: 70th and Dodge
Bingo
-
BRoss
- IT Director
- Posts: 10003388
- Joined: Sat Aug 05, 2006 12:39 am
- Location: West Central Omaha
Re: 70th and Dodge
I wish that alley connected with 69th. But according to someone in the city I emailed, there's no plans to do that.
-
Louie
- County Board
- Posts: 4939
- Joined: Fri Dec 23, 2011 10:23 pm
- Location: Dundee
Re: 70th and Dodge
I cut through the Office Max parking lot to get to 69th all the time.BRoss wrote: Wed May 17, 2023 8:13 pm I wish that alley connected with 69th. But according to someone in the city I emailed, there's no plans to do that.
-
BRoss
- IT Director
- Posts: 10003388
- Joined: Sat Aug 05, 2006 12:39 am
- Location: West Central Omaha
Re: 70th and Dodge
NiceLouie wrote: Wed May 17, 2023 8:21 pm I cut through the Office Max parking lot to get to 69th all the time.
-
Athomsfere
- Planning Board
- Posts: 2300
- Joined: Tue Sep 15, 2015 3:03 am
Re: 70th and Dodge
Hopefully its a no U-turn spot.nativeomahan wrote: Wed May 17, 2023 4:16 am That can’t make the restaurants and other businesses at that intersection very happy. I think it will just move the problem to 69th Street as eastbound traffic desiring to access businesses on the north side of Dodge will have little choice but to make U-turns at 69th. There are absolutely no other options on Dodge for turning left or making a U-turn while heading eastbound.
-
NEDodger
- Parks & Recreation
- Posts: 1359
- Joined: Sun Apr 13, 2014 6:19 am
Re: 70th and Dodge
Athomsfere wrote: Fri May 19, 2023 10:08 pmHopefully its a no U-turn spot.nativeomahan wrote: Wed May 17, 2023 4:16 am That can’t make the restaurants and other businesses at that intersection very happy. I think it will just move the problem to 69th Street as eastbound traffic desiring to access businesses on the north side of Dodge will have little choice but to make U-turns at 69th. There are absolutely no other options on Dodge for turning left or making a U-turn while heading eastbound.
This. Those should be illegal at all major intersections, too.
-
nativeomahan
- County Board
- Posts: 6013
- Joined: Fri Nov 12, 2004 8:46 pm
- Location: Omaha and Puerto Vallarta
Re: 70th and Dodge
One of the main reasons that businesses locate along busy streets is because of the visibility it gives them to a greater number of motorists and others who happen to utilize the busy street. It is probably THE reason businesses choose to pay the higher costs associated with locating along such busy thoroughfares.
Dodge Street isn’t just a city street, it’s also a main US highway. Hwy 6.
If I as a motorist am traveling Highway 6 (also a main East-West thoroughfare in Denver/Aurora, Colorado) through Omaha and I happen to have my attention drawn to any of those businesses/restaurants near 70th Street, how would I go about actually getting to them?
I understand that the city believes there needs to be something done about a busy intersection that has an above average number of accidents. I’m just not certain that they aren’t dealing an unexpected and unwanted financial blow to many businesses by closing the intersection to essentially half the motorists who drive by these businesses. Actually the proposed closure will also effect westbound traffic that would still be able to access these businesses but would have no ready ability to head back to the east after they visit these properties.
Dodge Street isn’t just a city street, it’s also a main US highway. Hwy 6.
If I as a motorist am traveling Highway 6 (also a main East-West thoroughfare in Denver/Aurora, Colorado) through Omaha and I happen to have my attention drawn to any of those businesses/restaurants near 70th Street, how would I go about actually getting to them?
I understand that the city believes there needs to be something done about a busy intersection that has an above average number of accidents. I’m just not certain that they aren’t dealing an unexpected and unwanted financial blow to many businesses by closing the intersection to essentially half the motorists who drive by these businesses. Actually the proposed closure will also effect westbound traffic that would still be able to access these businesses but would have no ready ability to head back to the east after they visit these properties.
-
PWL73316
- Library Board
- Posts: 300
- Joined: Thu Apr 11, 2019 12:17 am
Re: 70th and Dodge
Love that some people have the attitude that if the city makes it impossible to access businesses, forcing drivers to use alternatives, the "solution" is to make the alternatives illegal and just keep making it harder and harder to get around.Athomsfere wrote: Fri May 19, 2023 10:08 pmHopefully its a no U-turn spot.nativeomahan wrote: Wed May 17, 2023 4:16 am That can’t make the restaurants and other businesses at that intersection very happy. I think it will just move the problem to 69th Street as eastbound traffic desiring to access businesses on the north side of Dodge will have little choice but to make U-turns at 69th. There are absolutely no other options on Dodge for turning left or making a U-turn while heading eastbound.
-
ita
- County Board
- Posts: 4750
- Joined: Thu Jul 12, 2018 9:11 pm
Re: 70th and Dodge
You're definitely going to need to plan ahead once the median is up, but there are still options to get to businesses on the North side of Dodge going eastbound. You make a left at 72nd and then right at Capitol Court or take the next left at 69th and go through the Office Max parking lot. I think it's much more detrimental to the businesses south of Dodge with westbound commuters having no good options.PWL73316 wrote: Wed May 24, 2023 4:05 pmLove that some people have the attitude that if the city makes it impossible to access businesses, forcing drivers to use alternatives, the "solution" is to make the alternatives illegal and just keep making it harder and harder to get around.Athomsfere wrote: Fri May 19, 2023 10:08 pmHopefully its a no U-turn spot.nativeomahan wrote: Wed May 17, 2023 4:16 am That can’t make the restaurants and other businesses at that intersection very happy. I think it will just move the problem to 69th Street as eastbound traffic desiring to access businesses on the north side of Dodge will have little choice but to make U-turns at 69th. There are absolutely no other options on Dodge for turning left or making a U-turn while heading eastbound.
-
Athomsfere
- Planning Board
- Posts: 2300
- Joined: Tue Sep 15, 2015 3:03 am
Re: 70th and Dodge
It's what we do for pedestrians and bicycles. So why not for the thing that requires so little to plan ahead or drive an extra block or two, too.PWL73316 wrote: Wed May 24, 2023 4:05 pmLove that some people have the attitude that if the city makes it impossible to access businesses, forcing drivers to use alternatives, the "solution" is to make the alternatives illegal and just keep making it harder and harder to get around.Athomsfere wrote: Fri May 19, 2023 10:08 pmHopefully its a no U-turn spot.nativeomahan wrote: Wed May 17, 2023 4:16 am That can’t make the restaurants and other businesses at that intersection very happy. I think it will just move the problem to 69th Street as eastbound traffic desiring to access businesses on the north side of Dodge will have little choice but to make U-turns at 69th. There are absolutely no other options on Dodge for turning left or making a U-turn while heading eastbound.
-
BRoss
- IT Director
- Posts: 10003388
- Joined: Sat Aug 05, 2006 12:39 am
- Location: West Central Omaha
Re: 70th and Dodge
There are already no U-turns at 69th St and 72nd. I asked the city when I emailed them back a while ago if that would be changed and they said no.
When coming from the north side to go east, you either need to cut through the Office Max parking lot or exit north on 72nd and turn around at the light turning into the parking garage for Crossroads.
For the businesses on the south side, to go west, you can go through the neighborhood to get to 72nd & Farnam.
When coming from the north side to go east, you either need to cut through the Office Max parking lot or exit north on 72nd and turn around at the light turning into the parking garage for Crossroads.
For the businesses on the south side, to go west, you can go through the neighborhood to get to 72nd & Farnam.
-
nativeomahan
- County Board
- Posts: 6013
- Joined: Fri Nov 12, 2004 8:46 pm
- Location: Omaha and Puerto Vallarta
Re: 70th and Dodge
Or, you can just say |expletive| it! I’m not wandering through a maze of alleys, neighborhoods and parking lots just to get to a restaurant. I’ll go somewhere else.BRoss wrote: Wed May 24, 2023 5:49 pm There are already no U-turns at 69th St and 72nd. I asked the city when I emailed them back a while ago if that would be changed and they said no.
When coming from the north side to go east, you either need to cut through the Office Max parking lot or exit north on 72nd and turn around at the light turning into the parking garage for Crossroads.
For the businesses on the south side, to go west, you can go through the neighborhood to get to 72nd & Farnam.
Multiply that by 1000 other motorists and you have a half dozen or more businesses going out of business.
I wonder just how much input from the affected businesses the city sought?
-
ita
- County Board
- Posts: 4750
- Joined: Thu Jul 12, 2018 9:11 pm
Re: 70th and Dodge
The bigger issue here is the Dodge is a notorious stroad. Per Strong Towns, "They're what happens when a street (a place where people interact with businesses and residences, and where wealth is produced) gets combined with a road (a high-speed route between productive places)." (https://www.strongtowns.org/journal/201 ... -it-matter)
Master Plan discussions have been at an all time high recently. In the Destination Midtown plan there is a section focusing on transforming Dodge from Midtown to 69th Street into an urban boulevard. While I don't think that is necessarily the way to go because it increases the ROW and adds more lanes of traffic, if the City ever wants to make 72nd and Dodge more pedestrian friendly, the intersection needs significant infrastructure changes. Otherwise, it will continue to languish as a nasty stroad.
Master Plan discussions have been at an all time high recently. In the Destination Midtown plan there is a section focusing on transforming Dodge from Midtown to 69th Street into an urban boulevard. While I don't think that is necessarily the way to go because it increases the ROW and adds more lanes of traffic, if the City ever wants to make 72nd and Dodge more pedestrian friendly, the intersection needs significant infrastructure changes. Otherwise, it will continue to languish as a nasty stroad.
-
BRoss
- IT Director
- Posts: 10003388
- Joined: Sat Aug 05, 2006 12:39 am
- Location: West Central Omaha
Re: 70th and Dodge
The idea of widening Dodge east of 69th died a long time ago. I remember when it came up. They were considering 6 - 8 lanes and would tear down houses/businesses on the south side of the street. Since they they've built too many things on the south side to be feasible anymore (not that it really was to begin with).
-
Dusty
- Human Relations
- Posts: 792
- Joined: Thu May 26, 2011 3:53 am
- Location: Central Florida
Re: 70th and Dodge
I love seeing more people bringing up Strong Towns. I would love Omaha to adopt more of their principles into design.
I brought up some ideas in the Crossroads thread. But we need to change the vibe of the whole area. We can't rely on cars alone anymore. I would convert one lane for dedicated transit. Also, shrink the distance walking by designing large pedestrian refuge islands. This adds more landscaping and tones down the highway/speedway vibe. Ideally, we want to change the look to more of a town center instead of a super stroad.
I brought up some ideas in the Crossroads thread. But we need to change the vibe of the whole area. We can't rely on cars alone anymore. I would convert one lane for dedicated transit. Also, shrink the distance walking by designing large pedestrian refuge islands. This adds more landscaping and tones down the highway/speedway vibe. Ideally, we want to change the look to more of a town center instead of a super stroad.
Omaha's Transit Future starts now. Let's make the change!
Omaha Transit Network
Omaha Transit Network
-
Athomsfere
- Planning Board
- Posts: 2300
- Joined: Tue Sep 15, 2015 3:03 am
Re: 70th and Dodge
I don't remember that part about the boulevard... There already isn't space on Dodge to add lanes. It needs to lose lanes there. Maybe add an elevated LRT above it and use the swing lane for the structural support and a segregated bike lane...ita wrote: Fri May 26, 2023 4:45 pm Master Plan discussions have been at an all time high recently. In the Destination Midtown plan there is a section focusing on transforming Dodge from Midtown to 69th Street into an urban boulevard. While I don't think that is necessarily the way to go because it increases the ROW and adds more lanes of traffic, if the City ever wants to make 72nd and Dodge more pedestrian friendly, the intersection needs significant infrastructure changes. Otherwise, it will continue to languish as a nasty stroad.
But alas, pipe dreams for anything better than what we have now.
-
Renovator2559
- Human Relations
- Posts: 952
- Joined: Tue May 23, 2023 7:48 pm
- Location: Midtown Omaha
Re: 70th and Dodge
Not only Strong Towns, but also Not Just Bikes. These two channels have done collabs.Dusty wrote: Fri May 26, 2023 9:29 pm I love seeing more people bringing up Strong Towns. I would love Omaha to adopt more of their principles into design.
I brought up some ideas in the Crossroads thread. But we need to change the vibe of the whole area. We can't rely on cars alone anymore. I would convert one lane for dedicated transit. Also, shrink the distance walking by designing large pedestrian refuge islands. This adds more landscaping and tones down the highway/speedway vibe. Ideally, we want to change the look to more of a town center instead of a super stroad.
Im leaving this Not Just Bikes on how ugly and impractical these stroads are. I honestly despise the problems that will be perpetuated, by what they are doing in this part of Dodge street, in adding yet another lane; just so they can facilitate car traffic from supposed pedestrian friendly Crossroads project and pedestrian friendly new Central library. I don't know about you but I see conflicting objectives that stilll end up not improving the pedestrian experience or fixing the traffic congestion.
I am not going to lie, I dread passing through this side into west Omaha, it's a wild jungle of an endless sea of grey parkinglots and obscenely expensive long bars of traffic lights.
Home sweet, home...Omaha!
-
Coyote
- City Council
- Posts: 34366
- Joined: Tue Nov 18, 2003 5:18 pm
- Yahoo Messenger: jestcoyote
- Location: Aksarben Village
Re: 70th and Dodge
Drivers navigate safer median at 70th and Dodge
City engineers closed a median to reduce hot spot for crashes.
City engineers closed a median to reduce hot spot for crashes.
-
thenewguy
- County Board
- Posts: 4347
- Joined: Sat Oct 20, 2007 2:50 am
- Location: Council Bluffs
Re: 70th and Dodge
generally speaking, medians can be a hassle in terms of convenience, but I used to work at that officemax many years ago, and witnessed first hand a number of accidents first hand. Sometimes people absolutely fly through that stretch hoping to make the light at 72nd and would hit cars trying to turn
Go Cubs Go
