OKC - new Thunder arena

Kansas City, Denver, Minneapolis, and Coast to Coast
CBJason
Library Board
Posts: 417
Joined: Fri Apr 08, 2022 9:01 pm
Location: MEM burbs

OKC - new Thunder arena

Post by CBJason »

https://www.si.com/nba/thunder/news/thu ... le-decades

It still has to be approved by a vote but the thing that interests me most about the article is how the mayor and principal owner both talk about it being such a quality of life factor, which is often mentioned on this forum.
User avatar
Greg S
City Council
Posts: 9004
Joined: Thu Aug 26, 2004 3:46 pm

Re: OKC - new Thunder arena

Post by Greg S »

CBJason wrote: Wed Sep 13, 2023 2:39 am https://www.si.com/nba/thunder/news/thu ... le-decades

It still has to be approved by a vote but the thing that interests me most about the article is how the mayor and principal owner both talk about it being such a quality of life factor, which is often mentioned on this forum.
Wow, this is interesting. Somehow I missed this. My in-laws live in the southern portion of OKC near Norman. I remember when the Paycom (Ford Center) was built. It was before they had any idea they'd get an NBA team. Obviously it wasn't designed with an NBA team in mind. They did a remodel for the Thunder. I have been to a game there and thought it was nice. Will be interesting to see what the new place has and looks like. I imagine a lot more premium seating and suites. Smart move as they are fortunate at their size to have an NBA team in that market.

Greg
CBJason
Library Board
Posts: 417
Joined: Fri Apr 08, 2022 9:01 pm
Location: MEM burbs

Re: OKC - new Thunder arena

Post by CBJason »

Yep, all valid points. I lived in Tulsa from 2000-2004 so I remember it’s infancy. It was the era when all mid sized cities were all trying to build their own arenas to have for multiple functions not so much with a sports team in mind. If it passes I’ll be curious to see where this goes. The site of the current arena would be great for more high rise development in their core.