Gretna new library

West Omaha, Sarpy and Nebraska metro counties.
User avatar
Coyote
City Council
Posts: 34366
Joined: Tue Nov 18, 2003 11:18 am
Location: Aksarben Village

Gretna new library

Post by Coyote »


Gretna leaders begin campaign for new library




GRETNA, Neb. (KMTV) — "A new library in Gretna is long overdue," said Gretna Mayor Mike Evans. "We're currently operating out of two facilities right now. Two smaller buildings. It's just not efficient. It's underserving our community." The city is using a capital campaign, where money for the building comes from community donations.

"It's really important to us that we see the community invested in this effort," said Gretna Public Library Director Krissy Reed. "It only makes sense as the community uses the library. The support is also surrounding the library from the community." Similarly, part of the funds for Omaha's new library at 72nd and Dodge also came from a capital campaign.
Gangdalf
New to the Neighborhood
Posts: 22
Joined: Mon Mar 06, 2023 5:46 pm

Re: Gretna new library

Post by Gangdalf »

"The building is expected to be completed in 2027."

Wow that's a long way out when they are closing the fundraiser in early 2024.
User avatar
nebugeater
City Council
Posts: 110956
Joined: Wed Aug 04, 2004 6:07 pm
Location: Gretna NE

Re: Gretna new library

Post by nebugeater »

Gangdalf wrote: Wed Nov 22, 2023 8:41 pm "The building is expected to be completed in 2027."

Wow that's a long way out when they are closing the fundraiser in early 2024.
Too long, IMO this is much needed and overdue.
For the record  NEBUGEATER does not equal BUGEATER    !!!!!!!
ChadJK
Planning Board
Posts: 2504
Joined: Tue Feb 19, 2019 2:51 pm

Re: Gretna New Library

Post by ChadJK »

I don't know. As a Gretna resident I want us to have a cool library because I have this old school notion that libraries are these symbols of knowledge. However, I've been to the Gretna library a few times and there was nobody there. So, how much money should we dump into a library that few people patronize?
User avatar
nebugeater
City Council
Posts: 110956
Joined: Wed Aug 04, 2004 6:07 pm
Location: Gretna NE

Re: Gretna New Library

Post by nebugeater »

ChadJK wrote: Mon Nov 27, 2023 1:15 am I don't know. As a Gretna resident I want us to have a cool library because I have this old school notion that libraries are these symbols of knowledge. However, I've been to the Gretna library a few times and there was nobody there. So, how much money should we dump into a library that few people patronize?
I am at the Gretna library ( not the youth one) probably about every three weeks. I am never the only one there. Might have something to do with the time of day. I go as I come home from work or on Sat after Noon when they are open for their Saturday hours. I saw a report a year or so ago that was tied to the proposal for the new facility that reported circulation numbers. They were solid. I will have to see if I can find it.


Also, and I am not opposed at all, if Gretna can spend millions on sports fields, they can support a library too.
For the record  NEBUGEATER does not equal BUGEATER    !!!!!!!