The Kansas Department of Health and Environment has issued a health advisory for the upcoming range burning season in the Flint Hills.
The burning is done in March and April, and it’s a tool used by landowners and managers to help preserve the tallgrass prairie ecosystem, control invasive species, reduce woody encroachment from species such as Eastern Red Cedar and provide better forage for cattle. Prescribed burning also reduces the risk of wildfires and is effective in managing rangeland resources. Smoke from the burns can influence the air quality of downwind areas.
Kansas Flint Hills burning season is coming up!
-
Candleshoe
- Human Relations
- Posts: 916
- Joined: Sat Apr 01, 2006 12:30 pm
- Location: Hutchinson, KS
Kansas Flint Hills burning season is coming up!
https://www.kfdi.com/2024/03/04/kansas- ... re-season/
-
Brad
- Photographer
- Posts: 1036554
- Joined: Sat Feb 28, 2004 6:03 pm
- Location: Omaha, NE
Re: Kansas Flint Hills burning season is coming up!
Oh boy... Thanks for the heads up.
I really like the good effects burning does to the wild lands, but the smoke is annoying...
I really like the good effects burning does to the wild lands, but the smoke is annoying...

Omaha Skyline Photos, Omaha Aerial Photos, and More.
Website: www.bradwilliamsphotography.com
Facebook: www.facebook.com/bradwilliamsphotography
Twitter: www.twitter.com/bradwphoto
Instagram: www.instagram.com/bradwilliamsphotography
YouTube: www.youtube.com/@bradwilliamsphoto
-
skinzfan23
- City Council
- Posts: 11628
- Joined: Mon Feb 09, 2004 11:26 am
- Location: Omaha/Bellevue
Re: Kansas Flint Hills burning season is coming up!
Yes, I always wonder, with people having more breathing complications, is this really worth it? It doesn't affect me so much, but there are some days, people with air sensitivity issues are really struggling.
-
Brad
- Photographer
- Posts: 1036554
- Joined: Sat Feb 28, 2004 6:03 pm
- Location: Omaha, NE
Re: Kansas Flint Hills burning season is coming up!
Its been happening long before we were here.skinzfan23 wrote: Fri Mar 08, 2024 11:32 am Yes, I always wonder, with people having more breathing complications, is this really worth it? It doesn't affect me so much, but there are some days, people with air sensitivity issues are really struggling.

Omaha Skyline Photos, Omaha Aerial Photos, and More.
Website: www.bradwilliamsphotography.com
Facebook: www.facebook.com/bradwilliamsphotography
Twitter: www.twitter.com/bradwphoto
Instagram: www.instagram.com/bradwilliamsphotography
YouTube: www.youtube.com/@bradwilliamsphoto
-
Louie
- County Board
- Posts: 4936
- Joined: Fri Dec 23, 2011 4:23 pm
- Location: Dundee
Re: Kansas Flint Hills burning season is coming up!
Yep, wild prairies had regular fires naturally before europans settled here its very healthy for the ecosystem.Brad wrote: Fri Mar 08, 2024 11:37 amIts been happening long before we were here.skinzfan23 wrote: Fri Mar 08, 2024 11:32 am Yes, I always wonder, with people having more breathing complications, is this really worth it? It doesn't affect me so much, but there are some days, people with air sensitivity issues are really struggling.
-
Busguy2010
- City Council
- Posts: 7327
- Joined: Sat Apr 09, 2011 7:32 pm
- Location: North Central Omaha
Re: Kansas Flint Hills burning season is coming up!
I agree it's a natural thing and itll happen regardless, but it's not quite natural when they're prescribed by us humans. Let a lightning strike happen or something.Louie wrote: Fri Mar 08, 2024 12:20 pmYep, wild prairies had regular fires naturally before europans settled here its very healthy for the ecosystem.Brad wrote: Fri Mar 08, 2024 11:37 amIts been happening long before we were here.skinzfan23 wrote: Fri Mar 08, 2024 11:32 am Yes, I always wonder, with people having more breathing complications, is this really worth it? It doesn't affect me so much, but there are some days, people with air sensitivity issues are really struggling.
I have noted that we tend to have a lot more smoke in Omaha the last 3-5 years. I'm not super sensitive, but I'd rather not have it.
-
Louie
- County Board
- Posts: 4936
- Joined: Fri Dec 23, 2011 4:23 pm
- Location: Dundee
Re: Kansas Flint Hills burning season is coming up!
With prescribed burns, you lessen the chance that houses and buildings near the prairies burn as well. We can no longer count on nature in this instance.Busguy2010 wrote: Sun Mar 10, 2024 11:12 pmI agree it's a natural thing and itll happen regardless, but it's not quite natural when they're prescribed by us humans. Let a lightning strike happen or something.Louie wrote: Fri Mar 08, 2024 12:20 pmYep, wild prairies had regular fires naturally before europans settled here its very healthy for the ecosystem.Brad wrote: Fri Mar 08, 2024 11:37 amIts been happening long before we were here.skinzfan23 wrote: Fri Mar 08, 2024 11:32 am Yes, I always wonder, with people having more breathing complications, is this really worth it? It doesn't affect me so much, but there are some days, people with air sensitivity issues are really struggling.
I have noted that we tend to have a lot more smoke in Omaha the last 3-5 years. I'm not super sensitive, but I'd rather not have it.
-
Busguy2010
- City Council
- Posts: 7327
- Joined: Sat Apr 09, 2011 7:32 pm
- Location: North Central Omaha
Re: Kansas Flint Hills burning season is coming up!
Yea, I know why they do it. Humans invaded the land and its to protect the new houses and buildings. I don't particularly care about those properties enough to affect the air quality of a whole region.Louie wrote: Sun Mar 10, 2024 11:20 pmWith prescribed burns, you lessen the chance that houses and buildings near the prairies burn as well. We can no longer count on nature in this instance.Busguy2010 wrote: Sun Mar 10, 2024 11:12 pmI agree it's a natural thing and itll happen regardless, but it's not quite natural when they're prescribed by us humans. Let a lightning strike happen or something.Louie wrote: Fri Mar 08, 2024 12:20 pmYep, wild prairies had regular fires naturally before europans settled here its very healthy for the ecosystem.Brad wrote: Fri Mar 08, 2024 11:37 amIts been happening long before we were here.skinzfan23 wrote: Fri Mar 08, 2024 11:32 am Yes, I always wonder, with people having more breathing complications, is this really worth it? It doesn't affect me so much, but there are some days, people with air sensitivity issues are really struggling.
I have noted that we tend to have a lot more smoke in Omaha the last 3-5 years. I'm not super sensitive, but I'd rather not have it.
-
jessep28
- Planning Board
- Posts: 2819
- Joined: Wed Sep 03, 2008 4:10 pm
- Location: Omaha Metro Area
Re: Kansas Flint Hills burning season is coming up!
If you're an asthmatic and have been taking a break from your controller medication over the winter, it'll be a good idea to start back up on it.
Verbum Domini Manet in Aeternum
-
nebugeater
- City Council
- Posts: 110947
- Joined: Wed Aug 04, 2004 6:07 pm
- Location: Gretna NE
Re: Kansas Flint Hills burning season is coming up!
I thnk some of the "more smoke" over the last couple if years anyway, are not coming from Kansas but the big fires in Canda that impacted a lot of area.Busguy2010 wrote: Sun Mar 10, 2024 11:12 pmI agree it's a natural thing and itll happen regardless, but it's not quite natural when they're prescribed by us humans. Let a lightning strike happen or something.Louie wrote: Fri Mar 08, 2024 12:20 pmYep, wild prairies had regular fires naturally before europans settled here its very healthy for the ecosystem.Brad wrote: Fri Mar 08, 2024 11:37 amIts been happening long before we were here.skinzfan23 wrote: Fri Mar 08, 2024 11:32 am Yes, I always wonder, with people having more breathing complications, is this really worth it? It doesn't affect me so much, but there are some days, people with air sensitivity issues are really struggling.
I have noted that we tend to have a lot more smoke in Omaha the last 3-5 years. I'm not super sensitive, but I'd rather not have it.
For the record NEBUGEATER does not equal BUGEATER !!!!!!!
-
Busguy2010
- City Council
- Posts: 7327
- Joined: Sat Apr 09, 2011 7:32 pm
- Location: North Central Omaha
Re: Kansas Flint Hills burning season is coming up!
It's been both for sure. I recall a couple from KS and a couple from Canada.nebugeater wrote: Mon Mar 11, 2024 6:21 amI thnk some of the "more smoke" over the last couple if years anyway, are not coming from Kansas but the big fires in Canda that impacted a lot of area.Busguy2010 wrote: Sun Mar 10, 2024 11:12 pmI agree it's a natural thing and itll happen regardless, but it's not quite natural when they're prescribed by us humans. Let a lightning strike happen or something.Louie wrote: Fri Mar 08, 2024 12:20 pmYep, wild prairies had regular fires naturally before europans settled here its very healthy for the ecosystem.Brad wrote: Fri Mar 08, 2024 11:37 amIts been happening long before we were here.skinzfan23 wrote: Fri Mar 08, 2024 11:32 am Yes, I always wonder, with people having more breathing complications, is this really worth it? It doesn't affect me so much, but there are some days, people with air sensitivity issues are really struggling.
I have noted that we tend to have a lot more smoke in Omaha the last 3-5 years. I'm not super sensitive, but I'd rather not have it.
-
Brad
- Photographer
- Posts: 1036554
- Joined: Sat Feb 28, 2004 6:03 pm
- Location: Omaha, NE
Re: Kansas Flint Hills burning season is coming up!
I feel like the Kansas Flint Hills smoke clears out a lot faster than the smoke coming all the way from Western Kansas.nebugeater wrote: Mon Mar 11, 2024 6:21 am I think some of the "more smoke" over the last couple if years anyway, are not coming from Kansas but the big fires in Canda that impacted a lot of area.

Omaha Skyline Photos, Omaha Aerial Photos, and More.
Website: www.bradwilliamsphotography.com
Facebook: www.facebook.com/bradwilliamsphotography
Twitter: www.twitter.com/bradwphoto
Instagram: www.instagram.com/bradwilliamsphotography
YouTube: www.youtube.com/@bradwilliamsphoto
-
Candleshoe
- Human Relations
- Posts: 916
- Joined: Sat Apr 01, 2006 12:30 pm
- Location: Hutchinson, KS
