





I just read a story on the history of Saddle Creek, and actually that building is much older, 1875. It used to be a mill of some sort, powered by the creek. https://beacon.schneidercorp.com/Applic ... 0716290003mgoett wrote: Sat May 04, 2024 4:45 am According to Adam this bridge Is a WPA bridge built in 1935. I t,hink it needs major work. The building is from the same year. I would hope repairs to both bridge and this building could happen.
The Civil Works Administration was responsible for funding and building the Saddle Creek Underpass on Dodge Street in 1934. Alternately called a bridge and even a subway, today it is officially called the Saddle Creek Underpass. Working from the CCC camp at Carter Lake, federal workers built the underpass as a civic works project designed to support Omaha’s growth and put more people to work nationwide during the Great Depression. During that project, workers repurposed old stone curbs from Dodge Street by cleaning them and installing them as facing on the archway in the underpass. They had to lower Saddle Creek Road significantly, and moved almost 1,200 cubic yards of dirt from below the 50-foot-long bridge. In plans for the underpass, the Nebraska Department of Roads referred to the project as including, “a complete, modern street light system, and interlocking traffic control signal system, two pedestrian subways, and a grade separation of Dodge Street and Saddle Creek Boulevard.” The Saddle Creek Underpass was listed on the National Register of Historic Places in 1992. The stone curbs are still visible today; the pedestrian underpasses were removed.mgoett wrote: Sat May 04, 2024 4:45 am According to Adam this bridge Is a WPA bridge built in 1935. I t,hink it needs major work. The building is from the same year. I would hope repairs to both bridge and this building could happen.

The article talks about Omaha Cash Register being in there in 1963. Then followed by Figure Fair into the 70's. Omaha Cash did not vacate that building then for someone else.yman97 wrote: Fri Aug 16, 2024 3:20 pm I wrote a history of the old mill for anybody interested: https://omahaexploration.com/2023/08/11/sutters-mill/
In researching through newspaper archives, there were times that multiple tenants were in the building. I pieced together as best I could given the information available but certainly not an exhaustive history.Greg S wrote: Fri Aug 16, 2024 4:19 pmThe article talks about Omaha Cash Register being in there in 1963. Then followed by Figure Fair into the 70's. Omaha Cash did not vacate that building then for someone else.yman97 wrote: Fri Aug 16, 2024 3:20 pm I wrote a history of the old mill for anybody interested: https://omahaexploration.com/2023/08/11/sutters-mill/
I can tell you that Omaha Cash Register was still there deep into the 70's and I believe at least the mid 80's but possibly until at least 1990-95. My Dad worked for Omaha Cash Register, which actually became Data Systems Inc/Retail Data Systems. They are still in Omaha to this day.
I used to go with my Dad to work as a kid on Saturdays in the building in the mid to late 70's. He was there comptroller from the 70's into the 90's. I played in every inch of that building, was very quirky inside.
Omaha Cash owned the building. You also reference Omaha Shade and Blind. If that's the same company, and was owned by I believe Bill Christy? My Dad was friends with the owner of the blinds company. They made a fortune after the tornado in 1975. They leased space in there from Omaha Cash while my Dad's office was there.
The business employees eventually moved to an office near the Interlude 76th and Pacific(it was the basement facing what is now Fernando's) then into one on Leavenworth across from Bronco's. After my Dad retired the whole company moved out west near 118th and I 80.
Greg
They served soba noodles? I’d always heard it was contemporary american food.nativeomahan wrote: Fri Aug 16, 2024 9:56 pm The BBC was located where Jinya and Jason’s Deli are now. It was such a fun restaurant. My introduction to soba noodles.