Scatter Joy Acres

Grand Island, Hastings, Kearney, Des Moines, and the rest of Nebraska and Iowa
User avatar
Coyote
City Council
Posts: 34366
Joined: Tue Nov 18, 2003 5:18 pm
Yahoo Messenger: jestcoyote
Location: Aksarben Village

Scatter Joy Acres

Post by Coyote »


Scatter Joy Acres provides sanctuary near Murray for animals, people




MURRAY, Neb. (KOLN) - Scatter Joy Acres is a unique sanctuary that promotes healing with animals. After the tornadoes of April 26, the place is currently treating and housing 15 pets, while their owners pick up the pieces. Among over 88 animals, the list of new residents includes dogs, ponies, goats and cats.

“I have the means. I have a truck. I have a trailer,” said Joy Barling, the founder and CEO of Scatter Joy Acres. “(I asked) ‘How can I help?’ So we just kind of jumped in and helped wherever we could.” These acts of service aren’t just in response to the storms. Scatter Joy Acres has been helping people and animals since 2006. They started out in the Omaha area, but now the ranch is at 4107 Waverly Rd. in Murray.

As long as people follow the ranch rules, they can even go into designated pens to interact with some of the animals. A USDA license allows Scatter Joy Acres to be a public petting zoo with camels, reindeer, kangaroos, wallabies and other exotic animals. But Bartling considers this work to be a part of her ministry. “In Genesis, on the sixth day, God created animals first, and then he created humans because I believe that he knew that we needed animals to get through things,” Bartling said.

If you would like to visit Scatter Joy Acres, their hours change from season to season, but you can visit their Scatter Joy Acres website for resources, events and updated hours. You can also find out more information about their EAGALA, Be Somebody and Animal Assisted Therapy programs.
User avatar
Coyote
City Council
Posts: 34366
Joined: Tue Nov 18, 2003 5:18 pm
Yahoo Messenger: jestcoyote
Location: Aksarben Village

Re: Scatter Joy Acres

Post by Coyote »

Scatter Joy Acres provides sanctuary near Murray for animals, people



The 15-acre ranch helps veterans, senior citizens and children with animal assisted therapy. A majority of the animals at the petting zoo are also rescues.