Basil’s Italian and Ice Cream - Gretna (former 5 Thirty-One)

Omaha's dining, arts and music scene
User avatar
nebugeater
City Council
Posts: 110956
Joined: Wed Aug 04, 2004 6:07 pm
Location: Gretna NE

Basil’s Italian and Ice Cream - Gretna (former 5 Thirty-One)

Post by nebugeater »

Lansky's Gretna posted this on their Facbook page about an hour ago.

Sometime this summer, they are changing names to 5 Thirty-One Pizza and Phillies.
Same ownership, management, and staff.


There is not a lot more information at this time. I wonder what, if anything, changes at the other locations. Also, I wonder what drives this change as it looks on the surface like it is not a major menu change.


Image


EDIT:
I now see there are some new comments on this post.
This is only for the Gretna Location
They will be moving away from any Pasta on the menu
Will expand Pizza and Philly options, Continue with Salad bar.
For the record  NEBUGEATER does not equal BUGEATER    !!!!!!!
omaha79
Parks & Recreation
Posts: 1635
Joined: Fri Nov 13, 2015 3:46 pm

Re: Lansky's - Multiple Metro Locations

Post by omaha79 »

nebugeater wrote: Tue Apr 02, 2024 11:39 am Lansky's Gretna posted this on their Facbook page about an hour ago.

Sometime this summer, they are changing names to 5 Thirty-One Pizza and Phillies.
Same ownership, management, and staff.


There is not a lot more information at this time. I wonder what, if anything, changes at the other locations. Also, I wonder what drives this change as it looks on the surface like it is not a major menu change.


Image


EDIT:
I now see there are some new comments on this post.
This is only for the Gretna Location
They will be moving away from any Pasta on the menu
Will expand Pizza and Philly options, Continue with Salad bar.
Wondering if the Lansky's name is not working out West and seen as not cool. Maybe people out there are seeing the menu as too overpriced for a more Omaha legacy brand like Lansky's and they are trying to rebrand as something fresh? My only guess. If they aren't changing, let's say 50th and L, that tells me what I need to know as that location seems to have a built in audience of more elderly and blue collar.
User avatar
nebugeater
City Council
Posts: 110956
Joined: Wed Aug 04, 2004 6:07 pm
Location: Gretna NE

Re: Lansky's - Multiple Metro Locations

Post by nebugeater »

omaha79 wrote: Tue Apr 02, 2024 11:58 am
nebugeater wrote: Tue Apr 02, 2024 11:39 am Lansky's Gretna posted this on their Facbook page about an hour ago.

Sometime this summer, they are changing names to 5 Thirty-One Pizza and Phillies.
Same ownership, management, and staff.


There is not a lot more information at this time. I wonder what, if anything, changes at the other locations. Also, I wonder what drives this change as it looks on the surface like it is not a major menu change.


Image


EDIT:
I now see there are some new comments on this post.
This is only for the Gretna Location
They will be moving away from any Pasta on the menu
Will expand Pizza and Philly options, Continue with Salad bar.
Wondering if the Lansky's name is not working out West and seen as not cool. Maybe people out there are seeing the menu as too overpriced for a more Omaha legacy brand like Lansky's and they are trying to rebrand as something fresh? My only guess. If they aren't changing, let's say 50th and L, that tells me what I need to know as that location seems to have a built in audience of more elderly and blue collar.
We go there or get takeout often, IMO they do not need to rebrand for the area. It is typically busy. Their prices are no better or worse than others in the category.
For the record  NEBUGEATER does not equal BUGEATER    !!!!!!!
ChadJK
Planning Board
Posts: 2504
Joined: Tue Feb 19, 2019 2:51 pm

Re: Lansky's - Multiple Metro Locations

Post by ChadJK »

nebugeater wrote: Tue Apr 02, 2024 11:39 am EDIT:
I now see there are some new comments on this post.
This is only for the Gretna Location
They will be moving away from any Pasta on the menu
Will expand Pizza and Philly options, Continue with Salad bar.
My daughter will be disappointed to hear about the pasta. That was usually what she opted for when we ate there. My favorite thing are their cookies. They make a damn good cookie. Their pizzas are good, but I don't get too excited about them. I'm not sure I've ever had one of their cheesesteak sandwiches.
User avatar
nebugeater
City Council
Posts: 110956
Joined: Wed Aug 04, 2004 6:07 pm
Location: Gretna NE

Re: Lansky's - Multiple Metro Locations

Post by nebugeater »

ChadJK wrote: Tue Apr 02, 2024 2:15 pm
nebugeater wrote: Tue Apr 02, 2024 11:39 am EDIT:
I now see there are some new comments on this post.
This is only for the Gretna Location
They will be moving away from any Pasta on the menu
Will expand Pizza and Philly options, Continue with Salad bar.
My daughter will be disappointed to hear about the pasta. That was usually what she opted for when we ate there. My favorite thing are their cookies. They make a damn good cookie. Their pizzas are good, but I don't get too excited about them. I'm not sure I've ever had one of their cheesesteak sandwiches.
I saw a reply that they will still have the cookies.

The Pizzas I like from there are the Butcher Special, The Primo, and the Buffalo Chicken
For the record  NEBUGEATER does not equal BUGEATER    !!!!!!!
ChadJK
Planning Board
Posts: 2504
Joined: Tue Feb 19, 2019 2:51 pm

Re: Lansky's - Multiple Metro Locations

Post by ChadJK »

I spoke with a lady working this afternoon. The Gretna Lansky’s closes June 10th and reopens June 13th as 5 Thirty-One.
User avatar
nebugeater
City Council
Posts: 110956
Joined: Wed Aug 04, 2004 6:07 pm
Location: Gretna NE

Re: Lansky's - Multiple Metro Locations

Post by nebugeater »

ChadJK wrote: Fri May 31, 2024 4:08 pm I spoke with a lady working this afternoon. The Gretna Lansky’s closes June 10th and reopens June 13th as 5 Thirty-One.
Thanks

I figured they were getting close but had not seen a date anywhere. They have been "introducing" new menu items on their FB page for the last week or two.
For the record  NEBUGEATER does not equal BUGEATER    !!!!!!!
User avatar
nebugeater
City Council
Posts: 110956
Joined: Wed Aug 04, 2004 6:07 pm
Location: Gretna NE

Re: 5 Thirty-One Gretna

Post by nebugeater »

I split this off into a new thread for "5 Thirty-One Gretna" now that they are no longer Lansky's. These are the recent posts from the Lansky's Multiple Locations thread.

They have now rebranded and are open under their new name and menu.


Image

Image
For the record  NEBUGEATER does not equal BUGEATER    !!!!!!!
User avatar
nativeomahan
County Board
Posts: 6013
Joined: Fri Nov 12, 2004 2:46 pm
Location: Omaha and Puerto Vallarta

Re: 5 Thirty-One Gretna

Post by nativeomahan »

Does the new name refer to their address? Or is it just something that no one will have a clue as to its meaning?
User avatar
nebugeater
City Council
Posts: 110956
Joined: Wed Aug 04, 2004 6:07 pm
Location: Gretna NE

Re: 5 Thirty-One Gretna

Post by nebugeater »

nativeomahan wrote: Thu Jun 13, 2024 11:09 am Does the new name refer to their address? Or is it just something that no one will have a clue as to its meaning?
The area code for their phone number. It was the overlay area code for 402 from a few years ago when they decided not to split and renumber part of 402, for those that do not remember. It seems they have finally reached the point where 531 is being used a bunch now.
For the record  NEBUGEATER does not equal BUGEATER    !!!!!!!
User avatar
nativeomahan
County Board
Posts: 6013
Joined: Fri Nov 12, 2004 2:46 pm
Location: Omaha and Puerto Vallarta

Re: 5 Thirty-One Gretna

Post by nativeomahan »

Yes one of our Cox cell phones has the 531 area code.
User avatar
nebugeater
City Council
Posts: 110956
Joined: Wed Aug 04, 2004 6:07 pm
Location: Gretna NE

Re: 5 Thirty-One Gretna

Post by nebugeater »

5 Thirty-One ( former Lansky's) in Gretna has a new owner as of Jan 16.

https://www.facebook.com/5THIRTYONE.531


Image
For the record  NEBUGEATER does not equal BUGEATER    !!!!!!!
ChadJK
Planning Board
Posts: 2504
Joined: Tue Feb 19, 2019 2:51 pm

Re: 5 Thirty-One Gretna

Post by ChadJK »

5 Thirty-One wasn't much of a change from Lansky's. Outside of dropping the pasta off the menu, it was basically a rebranded Lansky's. Personally, I think their pizza sauce is subpar, but pizza opinions vary wildly so that may just be a me thing. I hope the new owners get creative.
User avatar
nebugeater
City Council
Posts: 110956
Joined: Wed Aug 04, 2004 6:07 pm
Location: Gretna NE

Re: 5 Thirty-One Gretna

Post by nebugeater »

ChadJK wrote: Mon Feb 03, 2025 9:14 am 5 Thirty-One wasn't much of a change from Lansky's. Outside of dropping the pasta off the menu, it was basically a rebranded Lansky's. Personally, I think their pizza sauce is subpar, but pizza opinions vary wildly so that may just be a me thing. I hope the new owners get creative.
It was a change in name and a slight adjustment to the menu, as you stated—same people and manager.


Looking back at it now I would suspect that it was done with the total intention of selling it off.
For the record  NEBUGEATER does not equal BUGEATER    !!!!!!!
User avatar
nebugeater
City Council
Posts: 110956
Joined: Wed Aug 04, 2004 6:07 pm
Location: Gretna NE

Re: 5 Thirty-One Gretna now Basil’s Italian and Ice Cream

Post by nebugeater »

Basil’s Italian and Ice Cream


This place changed ownership, and with that, another new name recently. Believe it was late April.

Have not tried the new iteration yet, so the jury is still out.

I'm a little concerned about what they are trying to be, though. Opened with Italian that ties to the old names, but with a reduced menu. Added Ice cream to the mix, and it appears to be not just a little ice cream, but a more extensive menu. Claim that the ice cream is homemade. Now they are announcing the addition of a lounge / bar. It seems to be in the old meeting room or a reserved area.

Can they be successful at all three phases, especially in a place that is not overly large? Time will tell.



https://www.facebook.com/profile.php?id=61575671127090
For the record  NEBUGEATER does not equal BUGEATER    !!!!!!!
ChadJK
Planning Board
Posts: 2504
Joined: Tue Feb 19, 2019 2:51 pm

Re: Basil's Italian & Ice Cream

Post by ChadJK »

I was told this place no longer has anything to do with the people behind 5 Thirty-One and Lansky's. This is a new venture by new owners. Anyone know for sure?
User avatar
nebugeater
City Council
Posts: 110956
Joined: Wed Aug 04, 2004 6:07 pm
Location: Gretna NE

Re: Basil's Italian & Ice Cream

Post by nebugeater »

ChadJK wrote: Mon Jun 16, 2025 10:59 am I was told this place no longer has anything to do with the people behind 5 Thirty-One and Lansky's. This is a new venture by new owners. Anyone know for sure?
Yes, that is correct. It was stated on some of the last social media posts when it was still 531. They were closed for a few days, too, for the transition.
For the record  NEBUGEATER does not equal BUGEATER    !!!!!!!
ChadJK
Planning Board
Posts: 2504
Joined: Tue Feb 19, 2019 2:51 pm

Re: Basil's Italian & Ice Cream

Post by ChadJK »

They’re now offering an All You Can Eat Soup, Salad, and Pizza Buffet for $12. Looks like weekday lunches only.

Also, new restaurant should probably have its own thread.
User avatar
nebugeater
City Council
Posts: 110956
Joined: Wed Aug 04, 2004 6:07 pm
Location: Gretna NE

Re: Basil's Italian & Ice Cream

Post by nebugeater »

ChadJK wrote: Mon Jan 19, 2026 6:41 pm They’re now offering an All You Can Eat Soup, Salad, and Pizza Buffet for $12. Looks like weekday lunches only.

Also, new restaurant should probably have its own thread.
This place changes names and owners often enough that this thread is fine and tracks that issue. The thread title covers what they are now


Interesting about the all-you-can-eat soup and salad. Did they put the salad bar back, or is it being brought to the table? They made a big deal out of taking the salad bar out as they took over.
For the record  NEBUGEATER does not equal BUGEATER    !!!!!!!
djc311
Planning Board
Posts: 2139
Joined: Tue Mar 09, 2004 10:44 pm
Location: Omaha

Re: Basil’s Italian and Ice Cream - Gretna (former 5 Thirty-One)

Post by djc311 »

I'm assuming when they started off as another Lansky's they simply weren't getting the business they were hoping for? I never went (so apparently I didn't help their efforts) but I thought a lot of people liked the 50th & L St location.
ChadJK
Planning Board
Posts: 2504
Joined: Tue Feb 19, 2019 2:51 pm

Re: Basil’s Italian and Ice Cream - Gretna (former 5 Thirty-One)

Post by ChadJK »

djc311 wrote: Tue Jan 20, 2026 8:40 am I'm assuming when they started off as another Lansky's they simply weren't getting the business they were hoping for? I never went (so apparently I didn't help their efforts) but I thought a lot of people liked the 50th & L St location.
I'm not sure of the details. But this location basically went from Lansky's to 5 Thirty-One to Basil's. Lansky's and 5 Thirty-One were the same owners. Basil's is a different owner. I'm not sure what happened to cause the rebranding from Lansky's to 5 Thirty-One, but it didn't last long. I have a suspicion that Basil's isn't doing very well either. It feels like they keep trying new things to draw people in (kids eat free on these nights, lunch buffet...). They have no visibility from Hwy 370 and that's problematic. They're on the south end of the Hillside strip mall in the SWC of 168th & Hwy 370. Ideally they should be on the north end where Athletico is. Restaurants need visibility. Chain physical therapy clinics do not.
User avatar
nebugeater
City Council
Posts: 110956
Joined: Wed Aug 04, 2004 6:07 pm
Location: Gretna NE

Re: Basil’s Italian and Ice Cream - Gretna (former 5 Thirty-One)

Post by nebugeater »

As Lanskey's, they were fine. Seemed busy when we went occasionally.
The 531 was just a rename with basically the same menu. Same experience going there when we went. I believe it was renamed as spun off because of a shift in ownership within the owner group ( maybe family)

As Basil's I haven't been liking what I see when trying it a couple of times. They are trying to figure out what they are, an Italian place, an ice cream shop, and a lounge to have a drink. No idea.

The prices are up ( not alone there). Quality of food does not match what it was under the other brands, and portions seem smaller

I am done trying them; there are better options around.


I do agree that the location is not ideal, but they seemed busy enough under other names. The big digital sign on the highway gives them good visibility for the traffic, and they are cycling on it a lot. There is a lot of daily traffic that should know they are there, and if they are a draw, would be there in a heartbeat. IF it is the location, then how does Lighthouse Bar and Grill and El Munchach Aleegre stay packed in the strip plazas they are in? Off of 168th near Tiboron
For the record  NEBUGEATER does not equal BUGEATER    !!!!!!!
ChadJK
Planning Board
Posts: 2504
Joined: Tue Feb 19, 2019 2:51 pm

Re: Basil’s Italian and Ice Cream - Gretna (former 5 Thirty-One)

Post by ChadJK »

nebugeater wrote: Tue Jan 20, 2026 10:59 am IF it is the location, then how does Lighthouse Bar and Grill and El Munchach Aleegre stay packed in the strip plazas they are in? Off of 168th near Tiboron
168th north of Highway 370 gets a lot more traffic than 168th south of Highway 370.
User avatar
nebugeater
City Council
Posts: 110956
Joined: Wed Aug 04, 2004 6:07 pm
Location: Gretna NE

Re: Basil’s Italian and Ice Cream - Gretna (former 5 Thirty-One)

Post by nebugeater »

ChadJK wrote: Tue Jan 20, 2026 11:46 am
nebugeater wrote: Tue Jan 20, 2026 10:59 am IF it is the location, then how does Lighthouse Bar and Grill and El Munchach Aleegre stay packed in the strip plazas they are in? Off of 168th near Tiboron
168th north of Highway 370 gets a lot more traffic than 168th south of Highway 370.
YOu miss the point. The visibility is from 370 PLENTY of traffic opportunity
For the record  NEBUGEATER does not equal BUGEATER    !!!!!!!