Best Cell Phone Service in Omaha?
-
AlmostinOmaha
- Home Owners Association
- Posts: 92
- Joined: Tue Feb 22, 2005 12:34 pm
- Location: Physically:Omaha, Historically: California
Best Cell Phone Service in Omaha?
Hey Everyone - We made it to Omaha, despite getting almost getting stuck in a freak snowstorm in Colorado last week!
I have Cingular cell phone service and it doesn't work so well at my house (near Chalco). Any suggestions on which carrier covers Omaha the best?
Thanks!
I have Cingular cell phone service and it doesn't work so well at my house (near Chalco). Any suggestions on which carrier covers Omaha the best?
Thanks!
-
TechnicalDisaster
- Parks & Recreation
- Posts: 1649
- Joined: Mon Nov 08, 2004 4:47 pm
- Location: I got old...
Best Cell Phone Service in Omaha?
I have used Alltell, Cingular, and Verizon. Verizon has been hands down the best out of the three. (I live in Chalco and have never had a dropped call.)
-
omahastylee459
- Parks & Recreation
- Posts: 1017
- Joined: Sat Dec 25, 2004 4:48 pm
- Location: Nashua, NH
Best Cell Phone Service in Omaha?
i would second verizon. I have US cellular and although it works excellent where I live (central omaha), i sometimes have difficulty in west omaha. Nearly all the people I know with verizon never seem to have any problems.
-
Coyote
- City Council
- Posts: 34366
- Joined: Tue Nov 18, 2003 11:18 am
- Location: Aksarben Village
Best Cell Phone Service in Omaha?
I would third Verizon. I asked around last year about this and everyone also said that Verizon has the best signal in Nebraska. I have had it for a year now and haven't found a place where I couldn't get a signal.
-
Big E
- City Council
- Posts: 8176
- Joined: Thu Jan 27, 2005 11:12 am
Best Cell Phone Service in Omaha?
Verizon is abysmal between about Elkhorn/Bennington and Fremont. I think there's a vortex of negative juju hanging over Valley.
-Big E
-Big E
Stable genius.
-
Will
- Home Owners Association
- Posts: 249
- Joined: Mon Feb 09, 2004 4:49 pm
- Location: Elkhorn
Best Cell Phone Service in Omaha?
I have no problems with Cingular, both in and out of Omaha
Go west young man.
-
MTO
- City Council
- Posts: 7783
- Joined: Wed Mar 09, 2005 11:49 am
- Location: Dundee
Best Cell Phone Service in Omaha?
Coverage; Alltel and Verizon
Superior; Sprint and Verizon
Oh and you can call up Cingular and request a PRL (preferred roaming list) update. When carriers add new towers over time you can take advantage of this by receiving a PRL update.
Keep in mind GSM (Cingular and T-MIbile) doesn’t work very good in the Midwest you better stick to CDMA, you will be much happier.
Superior; Sprint and Verizon
Oh and you can call up Cingular and request a PRL (preferred roaming list) update. When carriers add new towers over time you can take advantage of this by receiving a PRL update.
Keep in mind GSM (Cingular and T-MIbile) doesn’t work very good in the Midwest you better stick to CDMA, you will be much happier.
15-17, 26, 32
-
nebugeater
- City Council
- Posts: 110950
- Joined: Wed Aug 04, 2004 6:07 pm
- Location: Gretna NE
Best Cell Phone Service in Omaha?
Sprint
Check the coverage area. If it works for you it cannot be beat
Check the coverage area. If it works for you it cannot be beat
-
OmahaRules
- Library Board
- Posts: 263
- Joined: Wed Oct 27, 2004 10:48 pm
- Location: Lincoln (school)
Best Cell Phone Service in Omaha?
Sprint has horrible customer service. I'm sorry but when they make you wait an hour just to look at your phone its a big waste of time. I'd say no to Sprint I hate it and can't wait until my contract is up.
-
Asten
- Human Relations
- Posts: 689
- Joined: Thu Dec 09, 2004 8:25 am
- Location: Physically: Chicagoland. Historically: Omaha
Best Cell Phone Service in Omaha?
In Chicago, I've got a Tmobile phone... it works *great* in the eastern 2/3rds of Omaha, not so hot west of 680... As in 0 bars most of the time. They claim to have service on their maps, but then again, T-Mobile doesn't even sell in Omaha.pkiphd wrote:Coverage; Alltel and Verizon
Superior; Sprint and Verizon
Oh and you can call up Cingular and request a PRL (preferred roaming list) update. When carriers add new towers over time you can take advantage of this by receiving a PRL update.
Keep in mind GSM (Cingular and T-MIbile) doesn’t work very good in the Midwest you better stick to CDMA, you will be much happier.
-
icejammer
- County Board
- Posts: 3569
- Joined: Tue Oct 05, 2004 11:39 am
- Location: Council Bluffs
Best Cell Phone Service in Omaha?
I would 4th the motion for Verizon and 2nd the motion that Sprint has terrible customer service - it took 6 weeks and a call from one of the bigwigs at the FCC to finally get them to migrate my wife's # over to Verizon.
-
eomaha
- County Board
- Posts: 4176
- Joined: Thu Nov 13, 2003 10:29 am
- Location: West Omaha
Best Cell Phone Service in Omaha?
I like Sprint as well.
I guess I've never had a reason to have to talk to customer service... so I wouldn't know if it's good or bad.
I guess I've never had a reason to have to talk to customer service... so I wouldn't know if it's good or bad.
-
MTO
- City Council
- Posts: 7783
- Joined: Wed Mar 09, 2005 11:49 am
- Location: Dundee
Best Cell Phone Service in Omaha?
Sprint notoriously has bad CS. In fact a couple years ago they set the record in Nebraska for the most complaint about a wireless provider. However they all suck and don’t expect to be treated like royalty, no matter where you go. All that in mind I would personally recommend Sprint together with Nextel.
15-17, 26, 32
-
Harpoon
- Human Relations
- Posts: 556
- Joined: Wed May 18, 2005 8:46 pm
Best Cell Phone Service in Omaha?
Verizon worked well for me until I got a new Motorola phone, now I can barely drive two blocks without losing a call. Had Alltel before that and it was average.
-
nebport5
- Planning Board
- Posts: 2803
- Joined: Sun Jun 06, 2004 3:13 pm
- Location: 68102
Best Cell Phone Service in Omaha?
Yeah, Harpoon has a good point.
Be careful confusing your coverage with your phone's reception quality.
I have Cingular and never had a problem in Omaha(chalco included) when I lived there. I had reception problems once when I had a crappy nokia.
what kind of phone do you have Almost in Omaha?
Be careful confusing your coverage with your phone's reception quality.
I have Cingular and never had a problem in Omaha(chalco included) when I lived there. I had reception problems once when I had a crappy nokia.
what kind of phone do you have Almost in Omaha?
-
Omaha Cowboy
- The Don
- Posts: 1013719
- Joined: Wed Jan 07, 2004 5:31 am
- Location: West Omaha
Best Cell Phone Service in Omaha?
And I'll 4th Verizon..
I've had their cell service for nearly 3 years now..Good service and signal both inside and outside of Omaha..Large coverage area as well..
..Ciao..LiO....Peace
I've had their cell service for nearly 3 years now..Good service and signal both inside and outside of Omaha..Large coverage area as well..
..Ciao..LiO....Peace
Go Cowboys!
-
icejammer
- County Board
- Posts: 3569
- Joined: Tue Oct 05, 2004 11:39 am
- Location: Council Bluffs
Best Cell Phone Service in Omaha?
No you won't, I already did!And I'll 4th Verizon..
-
Asten
- Human Relations
- Posts: 689
- Joined: Thu Dec 09, 2004 8:25 am
- Location: Physically: Chicagoland. Historically: Omaha
Best Cell Phone Service in Omaha?
Take it into Verizon and gripe... most likely there's a tower and/or software update.. But this is unusual with any recent phone we've got on Verizon. They're winning plenty of laurels for reception.Harpoon wrote:Verizon worked well for me until I got a new Motorola phone, now I can barely drive two blocks without losing a call. Had Alltel before that and it was average.
</motorolan>
-
Omaha Cowboy
- The Don
- Posts: 1013719
- Joined: Wed Jan 07, 2004 5:31 am
- Location: West Omaha
Best Cell Phone Service in Omaha?
Oops..icejammer wrote:No you won't, I already did!And I'll 4th Verizon..
Okay, I'll..I'll..I know!..I'll 5th it!!..
..Ciao..LiO....Peace
Go Cowboys!
-
Swift
- Planning Board
- Posts: 2887
- Joined: Thu Oct 28, 2004 2:13 pm
- Location: NYC
Best Cell Phone Service in Omaha?
I read some artical recently about how people opinions of the service they get from cellphones has plummeted in recent years.
That being said: I used to have Verizon and I couldn't get a signal in my basement (168th and Center, roughly). Now I have Sprint and I can't get a signal in my apartment here in SF.
C'est la vie.
That being said: I used to have Verizon and I couldn't get a signal in my basement (168th and Center, roughly). Now I have Sprint and I can't get a signal in my apartment here in SF.
C'est la vie.
-
Coyote
- City Council
- Posts: 34366
- Joined: Tue Nov 18, 2003 11:18 am
- Location: Aksarben Village
Best Cell Phone Service in Omaha?
Cowboy - I thought you always have a fifth waitingOmaha Cowboy wrote:
Oops....
Okay, I'll..I'll..I know!..I'll 5th it!!..
..
-
Asten
- Human Relations
- Posts: 689
- Joined: Thu Dec 09, 2004 8:25 am
- Location: Physically: Chicagoland. Historically: Omaha
Best Cell Phone Service in Omaha?
Okay, from a technical standpoint, you have to be realistic. Cellular networks and phones aren't *designed* to work in the basement. There's stuff called the ground which is terribly hard on radio signals.Swift wrote:I read some artical recently about how people opinions of the service they get from cellphones has plummeted in recent years.
That being said: I used to have Verizon and I couldn't get a signal in my basement (168th and Center, roughly). Now I have Sprint and I can't get a signal in my apartment here in SF.
C'est la vie.
Of course, then there's the Verizon CEO who says "nobody should expect cellular coverage in their house". That's a little extreme.
*end motorolan rant*
-
Omaha Cowboy
- The Don
- Posts: 1013719
- Joined: Wed Jan 07, 2004 5:31 am
- Location: West Omaha
Best Cell Phone Service in Omaha?
I resemble that remark..I'll plead 'the fifth' on any commentCoyote wrote: Cowboy - I thought you always have a fifth waiting
..Ciao..LiO....Peace
Go Cowboys!
-
AlmostinOmaha
- Home Owners Association
- Posts: 92
- Joined: Tue Feb 22, 2005 12:34 pm
- Location: Physically:Omaha, Historically: California
Best Cell Phone Service in Omaha?
I have a motorola phone and have always had good luck with Cingular - I've used them for the past 10 years (before they were even Cingular!)
My Mom has a Sony Ericsson phone with Cingular service and her calls drop here in Chalco too...so I'm betting it's a Cingular problem, not a phone reception problem.
Thanks for all your help, sounds like Verizon might be the way to go.
My Mom has a Sony Ericsson phone with Cingular service and her calls drop here in Chalco too...so I'm betting it's a Cingular problem, not a phone reception problem.
Thanks for all your help, sounds like Verizon might be the way to go.
-
TechnicalDisaster
- Parks & Recreation
- Posts: 1649
- Joined: Mon Nov 08, 2004 4:47 pm
- Location: I got old...
Best Cell Phone Service in Omaha?
I was at Platte River State park yesterday, and called my wife. Call was crystal clear and didn't drop. (Verizon Wireless)
Oh yeah, here is a teaser of what is to come:
You should view the larger image at pbase here:
http://www.pbase.com/fantasmic03/image/50982367

Oh yeah, here is a teaser of what is to come:
You should view the larger image at pbase here:
http://www.pbase.com/fantasmic03/image/50982367

-
almighty_tuna
- City Council
- Posts: 106375
- Joined: Tue Apr 13, 2004 1:34 pm
- Location: Somewhere between downtown and Colorado
Best Cell Phone Service in Omaha?
How exciting! Nice pano - is it a crop or did you use Canon's Photostitch?
-
TechnicalDisaster
- Parks & Recreation
- Posts: 1649
- Joined: Mon Nov 08, 2004 4:47 pm
- Location: I got old...
Best Cell Phone Service in Omaha?
Its a 5 image stitch. I use Arcsofts Panorma Maker 3 for OSX.
-
almighty_tuna
- City Council
- Posts: 106375
- Joined: Tue Apr 13, 2004 1:34 pm
- Location: Somewhere between downtown and Colorado
Best Cell Phone Service in Omaha?
You and your Mac... ;) cool, thanks.bradley414 wrote:Its a 5 image stitch. I use Arcsofts Panorma Maker 3 for OSX.
-
TechnicalDisaster
- Parks & Recreation
- Posts: 1649
- Joined: Mon Nov 08, 2004 4:47 pm
- Location: I got old...
Best Cell Phone Service in Omaha?
Heh. I switched less then a year ago, and I'll never go back. Unfortunately, my favorite panorama software is not available for MacYou and your Mac...
Canon Photostitch and Adobe Panorama are weak compared to Panaorama Factory.
-
nebugeater
- City Council
- Posts: 110950
- Joined: Wed Aug 04, 2004 6:07 pm
- Location: Gretna NE
Best Cell Phone Service in Omaha?
http://www.cellreception.com/towers/index.html
Here is a site that can be usefull. I have used it a few times, exp. when looking at carriers for wrk phones. If you look around here you will see you can find tower locations based on FCC infor. You can also find coverage info posted by users. There a re phone reviews too. Give it a look. I don't think teh layout is great but seems to have a bunch of info
Here is a site that can be usefull. I have used it a few times, exp. when looking at carriers for wrk phones. If you look around here you will see you can find tower locations based on FCC infor. You can also find coverage info posted by users. There a re phone reviews too. Give it a look. I don't think teh layout is great but seems to have a bunch of info
-
nebport5
- Planning Board
- Posts: 2803
- Joined: Sun Jun 06, 2004 3:13 pm
- Location: 68102
Best Cell Phone Service in Omaha?
phonescoop.com is also a site with good phone info, esp. about models of phones.
-
MTO
- City Council
- Posts: 7783
- Joined: Wed Mar 09, 2005 11:49 am
- Location: Dundee
Best Cell Phone Service in Omaha?
So does PhoneArena.com and CNet
http://www.phonearena.com/htmls/home.php
http://reviews.cnet.com/2001-3504_7-0.html?tag=dir-ph
But I won’t even start about individual handsets, it is a passion/hobby/job of mine and I could go on and on and on…
http://www.phonearena.com/htmls/home.php
http://reviews.cnet.com/2001-3504_7-0.html?tag=dir-ph
But I won’t even start about individual handsets, it is a passion/hobby/job of mine and I could go on and on and on…
15-17, 26, 32
-
shengs75
- Home Owners Association
- Posts: 119
- Joined: Tue Mar 15, 2005 12:18 pm
- Location: I'm west of 72nd, so I guess that's West Omaha.
Verizon...Cingular
I would also recommend Verizon. If you go with Cingular, make sure you get a Quad-Band phone. This was it can get 850/900/1800/1900. Most of the towers now are 850 in the U.S.
I'd choose Verizon over Sprint for the coverage, but I really don't like any of the phones they offer. Sprint usually have decent phones, but I like Cingular the most since it's GSM, and I can buy and unlocked GSM phones and use it with Cingular.
Also, be aware with Verizon and Cingular they charge for outgoing Text messaging and web browsing. With Sprint it's a buffet-type service Vision plan.
If you plan to live out west, go with Verizon. Cingular has a bad signal around 168 and Harrison. Sprint has a bad signal around 114th and Dodge. Verizon works everywhere, even in Bismark, ND.
I'd choose Verizon over Sprint for the coverage, but I really don't like any of the phones they offer. Sprint usually have decent phones, but I like Cingular the most since it's GSM, and I can buy and unlocked GSM phones and use it with Cingular.
Also, be aware with Verizon and Cingular they charge for outgoing Text messaging and web browsing. With Sprint it's a buffet-type service Vision plan.
If you plan to live out west, go with Verizon. Cingular has a bad signal around 168 and Harrison. Sprint has a bad signal around 114th and Dodge. Verizon works everywhere, even in Bismark, ND.
-
Brad
- Photographer
- Posts: 1036557
- Joined: Sat Feb 28, 2004 6:03 pm
- Location: Omaha, NE
Best Cell Phone Service in Omaha?
Thread Revival...
Its been 4 years since the last post, so now in 2009, who do you recommend for cell phone service WITH A DATA PLAN?
I have Version, who I love, but my cell phone is really getting old and I need something new. My contract has been up for a few years now so if I need to switch, I need to do it now.
I REALLY want to stay with Version but I don't want to Spend $110 a month for Voice/Text/Data. I heard I get a 20% discount through my work, so that might be the deal breaker.
I looked at the AT&T with the Iphone, but Again, I don't want to spent $105 a month for everything.
I won't even step foot in to a sprint store, because Sprint is a piece of |expletive| and every time I had to deal with anyone for the one year I had them it was pure heck... Screw Sprint!
Anyone Else? Altell is Verison now, so I didn't look there.
Its been 4 years since the last post, so now in 2009, who do you recommend for cell phone service WITH A DATA PLAN?
I have Version, who I love, but my cell phone is really getting old and I need something new. My contract has been up for a few years now so if I need to switch, I need to do it now.
I REALLY want to stay with Version but I don't want to Spend $110 a month for Voice/Text/Data. I heard I get a 20% discount through my work, so that might be the deal breaker.
I looked at the AT&T with the Iphone, but Again, I don't want to spent $105 a month for everything.
I won't even step foot in to a sprint store, because Sprint is a piece of |expletive| and every time I had to deal with anyone for the one year I had them it was pure heck... Screw Sprint!
Anyone Else? Altell is Verison now, so I didn't look there.

Omaha Skyline Photos, Omaha Aerial Photos, and More.
Website: www.bradwilliamsphotography.com
Facebook: www.facebook.com/bradwilliamsphotography
Twitter: www.twitter.com/bradwphoto
Instagram: www.instagram.com/bradwilliamsphotography
YouTube: www.youtube.com/@bradwilliamsphoto
-
nativeomahan
- County Board
- Posts: 6013
- Joined: Fri Nov 12, 2004 2:46 pm
- Location: Omaha and Puerto Vallarta
Best Cell Phone Service in Omaha?
I have had Verizon and their predecessor Airtouch or whatever for over 10 years and have almost no problem with reception, other than at the baggage claim at Eppley, which for whatever reason I always get a dropped call, or two. Or three. I pay about $60 a month for 3 phones, but have a deal through my office.
-
Uffda
- County Board
- Posts: 4621
- Joined: Sun Jun 12, 2005 9:52 pm
- Location: Land o Lakes, FL
Best Cell Phone Service in Omaha?
what kind of plan do you need?
I get a 20% company discount on my iphone with ATT and it is about $70. That is 450 min plus rollover unlimited data 5000 weekend and evenings and 200 text.
I get a 20% company discount on my iphone with ATT and it is about $70. That is 450 min plus rollover unlimited data 5000 weekend and evenings and 200 text.
-
Brad
- Photographer
- Posts: 1036557
- Joined: Sat Feb 28, 2004 6:03 pm
- Location: Omaha, NE
Best Cell Phone Service in Omaha?
That plan would be perfect, however thats the plan I looked at and they told me $105Uffda wrote:what kind of plan do you need?
I get a 20% company discount on my iphone with ATT and it is about $70. That is 450 min plus rollover unlimited data 5000 weekend and evenings and 200 text.

Omaha Skyline Photos, Omaha Aerial Photos, and More.
Website: www.bradwilliamsphotography.com
Facebook: www.facebook.com/bradwilliamsphotography
Twitter: www.twitter.com/bradwphoto
Instagram: www.instagram.com/bradwilliamsphotography
YouTube: www.youtube.com/@bradwilliamsphoto
-
thenewguy
- County Board
- Posts: 4332
- Joined: Fri Oct 19, 2007 9:50 pm
- Location: Council Bluffs
Best Cell Phone Service in Omaha?
the plan i had was $85/month, with unlimited In texting, (i think) 700 anytime minutes, unlimited nights and weekends, free In calling, and the data plan. I too receive a 20% discount through my work, but if i remember right the data plan was $29.99/month. I watched a lot of youtube and stuff (which uses a lot of data) and was never charged additional amounts for overages. I can't remember if it was a national or regional plan (i think that all plans have since switched to national, so you may not get a choice), but i hope it helps.
Go Cubs Go
-
Uffda
- County Board
- Posts: 4621
- Joined: Sun Jun 12, 2005 9:52 pm
- Location: Land o Lakes, FL
-
Bosco55David
- Parks & Recreation
- Posts: 1392
- Joined: Wed Oct 22, 2008 1:25 am
- Location: Tampa, FL (formerly Omaha and Council Bluffs)
Best Cell Phone Service in Omaha?
I have AT&T. Pretty happy with them and will probably stick with them when I move back to Omaha.