Well DH and I decided this weekend that traveling back and forth to the Omaha/CB metro area for interviews is not cost effective. So we're picking up and moving there June 1 whether or not we have job. The idea of quitting this job makes me positively GIDDY with excitement! Best Monday I've had in years! But anyway... we're planning on settling in Council Bluffs and are on the search for an apartment there. I've found several complexes online, through rent.com or forrent.com etc. and I've been monitoring Craigslist and the local papers BUT I'm wanting to know if there's something else I might be missing. Here in Chicago we have "The Reader" as a good source for apartments in the city and out by me there's a classified ad paper called the Advertiser. Anything like that out there? A lot of times they'll list independent type of apartments or houses for rent. Basically any source is welcome!
We need something under $600 or so that takes cats and does NOT require that they get declawed (Broadmoor and Lund both have this requirement and that's just not going to happen).
apartments.com would help you out a bit, too, but i recommend river park apartments (it's like 2 min from downtown Omaha), deer park apartments, deer field (I lived there and they are nice, but some of the college kids that also live there can be |donkeys| and like to throw parties at all times of the day/night), and i hear chapel ridge is decent but i think it's income based, and there are some low rent people there. It's like that anywhere really but still. If you're willing to spend a hair more than $600, valley view apartments by the mall of the bluffs are always rated number 1 in the city for quality, and it's about 15 min from downtown. there are a lot that are under 600, but they're most likely dumpy and/or filled with shady folk. best bet is if you find one that you think looks nice, let us know on here and (more than likely) we have lived there or know someone who has and could tell you if it is worth it. If you were willing to go across the river, and pay a little more, you can find many more options in Omaha...but it all depends on your absolute maximum. Good luck!
DTO Luv wrote:We do have the Reader here but I'm not real knowledgeable on CB apartments.
The Reader is definately not the same as it is in Chicago. :)
SabrinaFaire...have you heard about the new laser procedure for declawing? It's far less painful than traditional methods. We still trim or use soft paws, but a friend of mine had it done and her cat was good to go after the surgery.
For apartments in CB, I'd look through the Daily Nonpareil.
Ingersoll1978 wrote:SabrinaFaire...have you heard about the new laser procedure for declawing? It's far less painful than traditional methods. We still trim or use soft paws, but a friend of mine had it done and her cat was good to go after the surgery.
I have, but I'm still not cool with it. I'm fine with softpaws/trimming but I refuse to declaw him.
Unfortunately it's my husband that doesn't want to spend much. He wants to keep it as close to around $500 as possible, I'm willing to push it up to $600. We're looking for a 1 bedroom. Unfortunately Valley View starts at $700 and River Park is owned by Broadmoor and requires declawing. Copper Creek doesn't require declawing, not sure if they're any good. Anyone know? I'm not sure what they start at.
Copper Creek is a nearly new complex, nice. Not sure on prices or anything. There's a nice new complex down on Hwy 92/275, the name of which is escaping me right now....newguy or someone else might be able to spout off the name. Greenbreier is a little older complex, but I think the rent's are reasonable and they've kept the place up, a little quieter complex than some of the others.
"Destiny is not a matter of chance, it is a matter of choice; it is not a thing to be waited for, it is a thing to be achieved."
Anyone know anything about Lindsay Manor? It's on Bennett Ave behind the mall. It's under new owners and they are supposed to be remodeling. It's well within our price range and that seems to be a decent neighborhood. Unfortunately I don't think we're going to be able to come to CB before we move out there and this wasn't one of the places we looked at in March. We're also looking at Parkwild (thanks Brad!) It's a bit more than Lindsay, but has nice scenery. Lindsay is closer to the interstate though which is a definite bonus.
I'm not sure on the remodeling, but let's just say it needs some updating. If they are remodeling, it might be alright then, certainly a nice enough area. The downside to Park Wild is the proximity to railyard and the occasional air traffic taking off from Eppley going overhead, but it is a pretty nice area as well, although not as easy to get to places you'll want to get to.
You might try contacting a local realtor to help you pick out a decent place if you're having a hard time nailing it down. They would certainly be able to give you the lowdown on most of these places.
"Destiny is not a matter of chance, it is a matter of choice; it is not a thing to be waited for, it is a thing to be achieved."
It's a bit more than Lindsay, but has nice scenery
Are you sure you and Brad share the same idea of what scenery is.
I guess if you look beyond what is across the street... you're okay... and it is on the 'right' side of the tracks.
What are you talking about Jeff?
Park Wild has some units far enough up on the hill that you probably have a great view of Omaha and western CB. You would probably have to really look down to see the tracks.
Brad wrote:Park Wild has some units far enough up on the hill that you probably have a great view of Omaha and western CB. You would probably have to really look down to see the tracks.
Very true!
"Destiny is not a matter of chance, it is a matter of choice; it is not a thing to be waited for, it is a thing to be achieved."
Park wild isn't bad...friends and family of mine have lived there and i don't remember it being terrible; i got irritated when some of the bugs got in (there are a lot of trees around it so there are ladybugs and stuff, but at least there weren't roaches) but then again i didn't live there. It's very near to big lake, somewhat easy access to Hy-Vee (regional grocer), close to broadway, and if you take big lake road to Nash Boulevard, you can hit the interstate in no time to get to Omaha. Really, nothing in Council Bluffs is that far from anything because there are a lot of access points to main roads.
And if all else fails, like icejammer said, call a realtor