Vehicle Registration Costs in Iowa

Visitors and Residents can ask Questions about Omaha here
User avatar
SabrinaFaire
Home Owners Association
Posts: 188
Joined: Sat Feb 16, 2008 9:20 am
Location: NW Omaha

Vehicle Registration Costs in Iowa

Post by SabrinaFaire »

OK first off, I've got a headache just trying to figure this out. In Illinois it's a straight fee for all passenger cars as long as you don't have special license plates. I never knew how good we had it.

So in Iowa it's based on the weight of the vehicle and a % of the purchase price/how old the car is? Is that right?

Secondly, does anyone know if Iowa gives a credit if you had to pay for registration or whatnot very recently in a different state? My car may not make it until our move and I'm nervous at the thought of driving all the way out there. (not sure how much it would cost to transport) We thought of just selling it here and then buying a car when we get there but we won't have jobs for awhile so I'm not sure if we could get financing. But I don't want to buy a car here, give Illinois my tax and title fees and then turn around and have to pay it to Iowa again when we move. Any suggestions or ideas?
nebport5
Planning Board
Posts: 2803
Joined: Sun Jun 06, 2004 3:13 pm
Location: 68102

Vehicle Registration Costs in Iowa

Post by nebport5 »

You should have a 30 day grace period here after you move. hopefully that'll help with finding jobs and buying a new car. I've lived in all three states and have blown it off for awhile post moving. Also, you may want to look up the Iowa DOT web site, where you ought to be able to find a phone number with someone who could give you a bit of advice on these questions. I don't think I'd buy a car in Illinois, I bet you can find a better deal in the Omaha area and not have to license it twice.
cdub
Parks & Recreation
Posts: 1216
Joined: Tue May 23, 2006 1:38 pm
Location: Tempe. AZ

Vehicle Registration Costs in Iowa

Post by cdub »

I have never heard of Iowa being as uptight as Neb about the licensing issue. You may well be able to keep the thing until it expires. Check the IDOT site, as suggested.
icejammer
County Board
Posts: 3569
Joined: Tue Oct 05, 2004 11:39 am
Location: Council Bluffs

Vehicle Registration Costs in Iowa

Post by icejammer »

Tax and title fees you should have no problem with if the vehicle has already been purchased elsewhere. The annual registration fee in Iowa is on a sliding scale for autos and SUVs - part of the fee is based on weight of the vehicle and part of the fee is based on vehicle worth/age.

Check the DOT's website here: All Your Questions Answered Here for more info.
"Destiny is not a matter of chance, it is a matter of choice; it is not a thing to be waited for, it is a thing to be achieved."

--William Jennings Bryan