Plaza North (90th and Fort)

West Omaha, Sarpy and Nebraska metro counties.
User avatar
Brad
Photographer
Posts: 1036557
Joined: Sat Feb 28, 2004 6:03 pm
Location: Omaha, NE

Plaza North (90th and Fort)

Post by Brad »

Plaza North (90th and Fort)

Shopping center is firm's 3rd in Omaha

http://www.omaha.com/index.php?u_page=1 ... d=10461095
JOHN KEENAN WORLD-HERALD STAFF WRITER wrote:Plaza North Shopping Center, north of 90th and Fort Streets, has been purchased by Phillips Edison & Co., a retail real-estate firm that specializes in acquiring and redeveloping under-performing shopping centers anchored by a grocery.

The company, said chief operating officer Mark Addy, typically buys grocery-anchored centers with vacancies or "deferred maintenance" and brings in tenants, buying and holding the properties to increase their value.

"Across the country, even when you're in recessionary times, the grocery-anchored centers are the mainstay," Addy said.
JOHN KEENAN WORLD-HERALD STAFF WRITER wrote:Plaza North is Phillips Edison's third acquisition in Omaha and the second Kroger-anchored shopping center. The company owns Baker's-anchored Deerfield Place at 5222 S. 136th St. and Applewood Center, with a Hy-Vee anchor, near 96th and Q Streets.
User avatar
TitosBuritoBarn
Planning Board
Posts: 3275
Joined: Mon Nov 08, 2004 7:08 pm
Location: St. Louis

Re: Plaza North (90th and Fort)

Post by TitosBuritoBarn »

What is their strategy for redeveloping underperforming properties? By doing jack-nothing to them? If memory serves me, both Deerfield and Applewood are still the same as they were 15 years ago with Deerfield still struggling to find tennants because it faces a street that nobody drives down.
windsor
Human Relations
Posts: 815
Joined: Fri Sep 19, 2008 12:04 am
Location: Omaha

Re: Plaza North (90th and Fort)

Post by windsor »

Plaza North is an interesting property. I think that anytime you use retail space for office you are already tying one arm behind your back. That old Gordmans building that is currently occupied by ConAgra is a very large building, most likely larger than anything that Gordmans currently has. I also think Plaza North has poor access and visibility.
where the corn meets the concrete
Cermak
Planning Board
Posts: 2330
Joined: Thu Nov 29, 2018 1:02 pm

Re: Plaza North (90th and Fort)

Post by Cermak »

I forgot about the Bakers up there at 90th and Fort and it’s recently been remodeled. It’s impressive that Bakers is still hanging around after all these years. Although they aren’t expanding anymore. But most of the stores are in good locations.
User avatar
Uffda
County Board
Posts: 4621
Joined: Sun Jun 12, 2005 9:52 pm
Location: Land o Lakes, FL

Re: Plaza North (90th and Fort)

Post by Uffda »

Cermak wrote: Thu Aug 15, 2019 9:37 pm I forgot about the Bakers up there at 90th and Fort and it’s recently been remodeled..
The outside of the Bakers was remodeled to go along with the rest of that development but very little changed inside.
We are the people our parents warned us about.

Jimmy Buffett
BIGO88
Library Board
Posts: 467
Joined: Sun Nov 04, 2018 7:16 pm

Re: Plaza North (90th and Fort)

Post by BIGO88 »

It looks like Fowling Warehouse is proposed for 5585 N. 90th St. It is a game thats a mix between football and bowling and super fun. Kind of a weird area for the place but should be a good addition to the area.

https://fowlingwarehouse.com/
ricko
Parks & Recreation
Posts: 1452
Joined: Mon Dec 11, 2006 9:54 pm

Re: Plaza North (90th and Fort)

Post by ricko »

Sounds like fun, but what I’d pay money to see is people playing football with bowling balls.
User avatar
Brad
Photographer
Posts: 1036557
Joined: Sat Feb 28, 2004 6:03 pm
Location: Omaha, NE

Re: Plaza North (90th and Fort)

Post by Brad »

Busguy2010 wrote: Wed Sep 10, 2025 11:38 pm My memory is fuzzy on 90th & Fort. I've never been there. Now, correct me if I'm not remembering it accurately. Did, at one point Baker's occupy a different unit in that same shopping center? I seem to faintly remember it was previously in the bigger unit next door of the north end or the strip mall.
No, to the north was Richman Gordman. After Richman Gordman went all in on the half price stores, Richman Gordman closed as there was already a half price store right up the street. After Richman Gordman left, that part turned in to office space for a while (I think First Data was in there) before going back in to retail. Bakers has always been mostly in the same spot. Before they were Kroger, they expanded in to the strip mall to the south, but not sure of that part is still there or not.
zippy
Library Board
Posts: 301
Joined: Wed Mar 09, 2005 5:55 pm
Location: Harvey Oaks

Re: Plaza North (90th and Fort)

Post by zippy »

Brad wrote: Thu Sep 11, 2025 9:12 am
Busguy2010 wrote: Wed Sep 10, 2025 11:38 pm My memory is fuzzy on 90th & Fort. I've never been there. Now, correct me if I'm not remembering it accurately. Did, at one point Baker's occupy a different unit in that same shopping center? I seem to faintly remember it was previously in the bigger unit next door of the north end or the strip mall.
No, to the north was Richman Gordman. After Richman Gordman went all in on the half price stores, Richman Gordman closed as there was already a half price store right up the street. After Richman Gordman left, that part turned in to office space for a while (I think First Data was in there) before going back in to retail. Bakers has always been mostly in the same spot. Before they were Kroger, they expanded in to the strip mall to the south, but not sure of that part is still there or not.
First Data did have an office in the RG space. HR/training were in there; I'm not sure of anything else.
ProgKingHughesker
Home Owners Association
Posts: 178
Joined: Sat Jun 02, 2018 7:32 pm

Re: Plaza North (90th and Fort)

Post by ProgKingHughesker »

Brad wrote: Thu Sep 11, 2025 9:12 am
Busguy2010 wrote: Wed Sep 10, 2025 11:38 pm My memory is fuzzy on 90th & Fort. I've never been there. Now, correct me if I'm not remembering it accurately. Did, at one point Baker's occupy a different unit in that same shopping center? I seem to faintly remember it was previously in the bigger unit next door of the north end or the strip mall.
No, to the north was Richman Gordman. After Richman Gordman went all in on the half price stores, Richman Gordman closed as there was already a half price store right up the street. After Richman Gordman left, that part turned in to office space for a while (I think First Data was in there) before going back in to retail. Bakers has always been mostly in the same spot. Before they were Kroger, they expanded in to the strip mall to the south, but not sure of that part is still there or not.
Would the produce department be what was originally the other store, it always felt kinda different in there
stadsborgare
Library Board
Posts: 443
Joined: Sun Feb 01, 2009 9:33 am
Location: Omaha Metro Area

Re: Plaza North (90th and Fort)

Post by stadsborgare »

When I was a kid, a Woolco was in that spot on the north side of the plaza. I bought my first cassette tape there with my own money.
User avatar
nativeomahan
County Board
Posts: 6013
Joined: Fri Nov 12, 2004 2:46 pm
Location: Omaha and Puerto Vallarta

Re: Plaza North (90th and Fort)

Post by nativeomahan »

It’s definitely an odd layout inside that Baker’s.
User avatar
TheSeventhBrat
Home Owners Association
Posts: 214
Joined: Wed Dec 04, 2013 10:59 pm

Re: Plaza North (90th and Fort)

Post by TheSeventhBrat »

nativeomahan wrote: Fri Sep 12, 2025 4:55 pm It’s definitely an odd layout inside that Baker’s.
They expanded to the south several years ago. I forget what was there originally.
BIGO88
Library Board
Posts: 467
Joined: Sun Nov 04, 2018 7:16 pm

Re: Plaza North (90th and Fort)

Post by BIGO88 »

I saw that another Platos Closet location will be opening up here.