Private High Schools Recruting for Sports>
-
OmahaDevelopmentMan
- Human Relations
- Posts: 593
- Joined: Tue Nov 09, 2004 6:12 pm
- Location: Omaha, someplace in middle America
Private High Schools Recruting for Sports>
Since winning the state championship a few weeks ago, I have heard a lot of people talking about how private high schools recruit their football teams. As a Prep alumnist and father of a current Prep student, I know that this does not happen. What do you think, do they recruit for sports?
-
Coyote
- City Council
- Posts: 34366
- Joined: Tue Nov 18, 2003 11:18 am
- Location: Aksarben Village
Private High Schools Recruting for Sports>
As another Prep grad - I do know that CP does not have the school district boundaries as the public schools do so they can accept students from around the entire Omaha metro. I actually thought that CP did 'recruit' players.
Last edited by Coyote on Thu Dec 02, 2004 5:08 pm, edited 1 time in total.
-
Finn
- Parks & Recreation
- Posts: 1387
- Joined: Thu Mar 25, 2004 9:54 pm
- Location: DC
Private High Schools Recruting for Sports>
I am also a Prep grad and I remember hearing about this when I was in school. Some claimed that we had recruited a basketball player at the time. I don't read too much into this. I know Prep sent students to my grade school to encourage us to apply and look at Prep. Maybe they tell some kids of the work/aid program and say you can come to school here eventhough you thought you could not afford the tuition. Iremember students from various area high schools "recruiting" at my grade school.
-
OmahaDevelopmentMan
- Human Relations
- Posts: 593
- Joined: Tue Nov 09, 2004 6:12 pm
- Location: Omaha, someplace in middle America
Private High Schools Recruting for Sports>
I do remember being recruited at my grade school where a bunch of different are a schools came and talked to us. I'm pretty sure it was all about school though. It just seems to me that people who go to public schools, try to make the fact that private schools recruit, and turn it around so that it is only for athletic purposes.
-
jsheets
- Human Relations
- Posts: 596
- Joined: Tue Jul 06, 2004 12:06 pm
- Location: West Papio Lakes
Private High Schools Recruting for Sports>
In Lincoln, even public high schools recruited because of open enrollement, even though it was official not supposed to happen. When I was in school in the mid 90's everyone knew that the best basketball players transferred to NE and best football players to SE. The NE basketball coach was even rumored to give junior high kids rides home after school...
-
OmahaDevelopmentMan
- Human Relations
- Posts: 593
- Joined: Tue Nov 09, 2004 6:12 pm
- Location: Omaha, someplace in middle America
Private High Schools Recruting for Sports>
CreepyThe NE basketball coach was even rumored to give junior high kids rides home after school...
-
jsheets
- Human Relations
- Posts: 596
- Joined: Tue Jul 06, 2004 12:06 pm
- Location: West Papio Lakes
Private High Schools Recruting for Sports>
It wasn't meant to be creepy. As in snowy and low wind chill weather this would be a huge recruiting tool, as it showed that a coach would go out of his way to help his future players. Unfair if you ask me, and definitely not meant to sound creepy.
-
OmahaDevelopmentMan
- Human Relations
- Posts: 593
- Joined: Tue Nov 09, 2004 6:12 pm
- Location: Omaha, someplace in middle America
Private High Schools Recruting for Sports>
I know what you ment jsheets, I was just being sarcastic.
-
Ingersoll1978
- Library Board
- Posts: 490
- Joined: Sat May 22, 2004 5:27 pm
- Location: Des Moines
Private High Schools Recruting for Sports>
I can say Dowling in West Des Moines surely does. That's why they have won many championships in football and basketball. Maybe Nebraska has laws or something against this...I dunno.
-
eomaha
- County Board
- Posts: 4176
- Joined: Thu Nov 13, 2003 10:29 am
- Location: West Omaha
Private High Schools Recruting for Sports>
I'd like to know how a little 8-man-2 school like Lindsay Holy Family (Catholic) recruits? (a former colleague of mine is a graduate) They have like maybe 100 kids in the entire school (K-12)... and they're consistently at the state playoffs. Maybe it's that German blood or something.
-
OhioStreetKid
- Home Owners Association
- Posts: 162
- Joined: Sun Aug 29, 2004 8:16 pm
- Location: Omaha, NE
Private High Schools Recruting for Sports>
Why just private schools, Westside in recent years has put into gear a major recruiting operation.
-
mike
Private High Schools Recruting for Sports>
Idk, maybe I'm jsut shocked to find out that high schools are turning into being all about sports. I mean I just cant believe that kids who are freakin 13 and 14 are being recruited to play sports. I mean a lot can change in those years from frosh and soph teams to varsity, who knows, if their big in 8th grade doesn't mean they'll be big in 11 and 12 grade for varsity.
-
icejammer
- County Board
- Posts: 3569
- Joined: Tue Oct 05, 2004 11:39 am
- Location: Council Bluffs
Private High Schools Recruting for Sports>
Not to dispute your opinion, but that is just pure jealousy on the part of other DSM-area schools for the last 30+ years. When Valley started doing really well (after open enrollment), they were accused of recruiting as well.Ingersoll1978 wrote:I can say Dowling in West Des Moines surely does. That's why they have won many championships in football and basketball. Maybe Nebraska has laws or something against this...I dunno.
What it all boils down to, imo, is that the most successful schools are generally the schools that have the most parental involvement, and more often than not, those are the private schools, as well as the public schools in the affluent suburbs.
-
DMRyan
- Human Relations
- Posts: 644
- Joined: Sun Feb 08, 2004 8:07 pm
- Location: Des Moines, IA
Private High Schools Recruting for Sports>
It is well known that Dowling pulls some of the top athletes from all over the metro. There are poor north and east Des Moines kids that could never afford to attend a private catholic school, but some how miraculously end up there...starting for the basketball or football team.
DesMoines Forum: https://urbandsm.com/forum/