Valentino's Pizza
-
nebugeater
- City Council
- Posts: 110975
- Joined: Wed Aug 04, 2004 11:07 pm
- Location: Gretna NE
Valentino's Pizza
Searched for a thread to fit this in and didn't really find one so here is a Val's Pizza thread.
When did the Valentino's buffet on 132nd and Center close? I drove down 132 last night and noticed that the signs where off the building. I knew they had opened a takeout across the street int he new strip mall where AAA also relocated. I knew that they were opening a take out place but had also heard that they were remaining open across the street as a buffet but obviously this was not the case.
There is a buffet around 180 & L. that I think is still open. Where else are they still open in Omaha as a sit down place? I know the CB location across from the Mall on the other side of the interstate closed some time ago.
When they went from a menu drive place with a buffet as an option I have not gone there as often. I think there Pizza is good, it got me through college many years ago, but I do think there quality and consistency has slipped.
When did the Valentino's buffet on 132nd and Center close? I drove down 132 last night and noticed that the signs where off the building. I knew they had opened a takeout across the street int he new strip mall where AAA also relocated. I knew that they were opening a take out place but had also heard that they were remaining open across the street as a buffet but obviously this was not the case.
There is a buffet around 180 & L. that I think is still open. Where else are they still open in Omaha as a sit down place? I know the CB location across from the Mall on the other side of the interstate closed some time ago.
When they went from a menu drive place with a buffet as an option I have not gone there as often. I think there Pizza is good, it got me through college many years ago, but I do think there quality and consistency has slipped.
For the record NEBUGEATER does not equal BUGEATER !!!!!!!
-
nativeomahan
- County Board
- Posts: 6013
- Joined: Fri Nov 12, 2004 8:46 pm
- Location: Omaha and Puerto Vallarta
Valentino's Pizza
It closed a few months back. Sad. It was the first Val's in Omaha.
-
UNOstudent
- Human Relations
- Posts: 583
- Joined: Mon Nov 08, 2004 4:27 am
Valentino's Pizza
I think the Val's buffet at 102nd and Maple is still open.
-
Brad
- Photographer
- Posts: 1036592
- Joined: Sun Feb 29, 2004 12:03 am
- Location: Omaha, NE
Valentino's Pizza
They recently remodeled the maple location.
With that said, I usually only eat vals at husker games.
With that said, I usually only eat vals at husker games.

Omaha Skyline Photos, Omaha Aerial Photos, and More.
Website: www.bradwilliamsphotography.com
Facebook: www.facebook.com/bradwilliamsphotography
Twitter: www.twitter.com/bradwphoto
Instagram: www.instagram.com/bradwilliamsphotography
YouTube: www.youtube.com/@bradwilliamsphoto
-
almighty_tuna
- City Council
- Posts: 106383
- Joined: Tue Apr 13, 2004 6:34 pm
- Location: Somewhere between downtown and Colorado
Valentino's Pizza
vals isn't bad, but we always ask for it "well done". otherwise, the pizza comes out *barely* cooked and pretty doughy in the middle. meh
-
omahastylee459
- Parks & Recreation
- Posts: 1017
- Joined: Sat Dec 25, 2004 10:48 pm
- Location: Nashua, NH
Valentino's Pizza
I grew up about a block from that Valentinos buffet, we used to go there all the time and it was busy a lot. Maybe its because I havent been there a while, but I believe more and more people stopped going there and their takeout was more profitable than the buffet. Thats pure speculation though. The buffet closed down around the same time as the takeout location opened across the street.
-
barattataxicab
- New to the Neighborhood
- Posts: 16
- Joined: Mon Aug 17, 2009 11:54 am
- Location: Omaha, NE
Valentino's Pizza
Valentino's has the best pizza, but all the food is great. It's a integral part of my weight maintenance program.
Free taxi fare! Contest for a limited time! Barattataxi.comTwitter:Follow Us Free Online Taxi Rate Calculator:Get Rates for any Company
-
Coyote
- City Council
- Posts: 34366
- Joined: Tue Nov 18, 2003 5:18 pm
- Yahoo Messenger: jestcoyote
- Location: Aksarben Village
Re: Valentino's Pizza
The original Valentino's restaurant will close Sunday
Sarah Baker Hansen: World-Herald staff writer wrote:The restaurant, at 3457 Holdrege St. since 1957, will close Sunday. Twelve days later, on May 23, the restaurant will reopen at 3535 Holdrege in a new location.
-
Omababe
- Planning Board
- Posts: 2467
- Joined: Thu Jul 05, 2007 2:47 pm
Re: Valentino's Pizza
Some of my very first memories of the area include doing a concert at the Pershing Auditorium and (the original) Valentinos for din-din. Too bad to see it close, but I'm glad that they are opening just down the street from the original.
-
nativeomahan
- County Board
- Posts: 6013
- Joined: Fri Nov 12, 2004 8:46 pm
- Location: Omaha and Puerto Vallarta
Re: Valentino's Pizza
There is a newspaper review of the brand new -- and retro, it seems -- Valentino's on Holdredge Street.
http://journalstar.com/entertainment/di ... f5209.html" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
http://journalstar.com/entertainment/di ... f5209.html" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
-
ChadJK
- Planning Board
- Posts: 2505
- Joined: Tue Feb 19, 2019 8:51 pm
Re: Valentino's Pizza
So, is it confirmed that Valentino's Buffet on 108th (between L and Q) is closing?
-
nebugeater
- City Council
- Posts: 110975
- Joined: Wed Aug 04, 2004 11:07 pm
- Location: Gretna NE
Re: Valentino's Pizza
yes it isChadJK wrote: Fri May 08, 2020 4:51 pm So, is it confirmed that Valentino's Buffet on 108th (between L and Q) is closing?
For the record NEBUGEATER does not equal BUGEATER !!!!!!!
-
nativeomahan
- County Board
- Posts: 6013
- Joined: Fri Nov 12, 2004 8:46 pm
- Location: Omaha and Puerto Vallarta
Re: Valentino's Pizza
I don’t think buffet restaurants will be able to reopen as buffets.
-
Brad
- Photographer
- Posts: 1036592
- Joined: Sun Feb 29, 2004 12:03 am
- Location: Omaha, NE
Re: Valentino's Pizza
Did the location on Maple close? Just drove by and it looked like all the signs had been taken down.

Omaha Skyline Photos, Omaha Aerial Photos, and More.
Website: www.bradwilliamsphotography.com
Facebook: www.facebook.com/bradwilliamsphotography
Twitter: www.twitter.com/bradwphoto
Instagram: www.instagram.com/bradwilliamsphotography
YouTube: www.youtube.com/@bradwilliamsphoto
-
nativeomahan
- County Board
- Posts: 6013
- Joined: Fri Nov 12, 2004 8:46 pm
- Location: Omaha and Puerto Vallarta
Re: Valentino's Pizza
Yes I believe sometime in the second half of 2021 that location closed.
I remember (from my youth) how when Valentino’s first opened in Omaha (late 1970s?) they were extremely popular.
Just another example of changing public tastes.
I remember (from my youth) how when Valentino’s first opened in Omaha (late 1970s?) they were extremely popular.
Just another example of changing public tastes.
-
Brad
- Photographer
- Posts: 1036592
- Joined: Sun Feb 29, 2004 12:03 am
- Location: Omaha, NE
Re: Valentino's Pizza
Oh yeah, In the mid 80’s, when we were kids we went to that 102 and Maple location all the time. I bet I haven’t been back in there for 25-30 years.

Omaha Skyline Photos, Omaha Aerial Photos, and More.
Website: www.bradwilliamsphotography.com
Facebook: www.facebook.com/bradwilliamsphotography
Twitter: www.twitter.com/bradwphoto
Instagram: www.instagram.com/bradwilliamsphotography
YouTube: www.youtube.com/@bradwilliamsphoto
-
bigredmed1
- Parks & Recreation
- Posts: 1689
- Joined: Tue May 30, 2017 3:16 am
Re: Valentino's Pizza
It was the goto pizza in Lincoln. It was up against Godfathers and a cluster of crappy chain joints. It had the marketing advantage of all the UNL grads and was lighter.nativeomahan wrote: Sat Mar 26, 2022 2:58 pm Yes I believe sometime in the second half of 2021 that location closed.
I remember (from my youth) how when Valentino’s first opened in Omaha (late 1970s?) they were extremely popular.
Just another example of changing public tastes.
Like Big Fred's. Super popular in the 70's and 80's due to a gross lack of edible pizza in west Omaha and Millard. That was the key to their start.
-
nativeomahan
- County Board
- Posts: 6013
- Joined: Fri Nov 12, 2004 8:46 pm
- Location: Omaha and Puerto Vallarta
Re: Valentino's Pizza
Well like the saying goes, mediocre pizza is like mediocre sex. It’s still pizza and people will eat it…if nothing better can be obtained. It’s been 10 years or so since I last had Valentino’s. I used to crave it, but now it never even crosses my mind to order it. There’s nothing wrong with it, it’s just that I like a lot of other pizza places more.bigredmed1 wrote: Sat Mar 26, 2022 7:05 pmIt was the goto pizza in Lincoln. It was up against Godfathers and a cluster of crappy chain joints. It had the marketing advantage of all the UNL grads and was lighter.nativeomahan wrote: Sat Mar 26, 2022 2:58 pm Yes I believe sometime in the second half of 2021 that location closed.
I remember (from my youth) how when Valentino’s first opened in Omaha (late 1970s?) they were extremely popular.
Just another example of changing public tastes.
Like Big Fred's. Super popular in the 70's and 80's due to a gross lack of edible pizza in west Omaha and Millard. That was the key to their start.
-
guy4omaha
- Parks & Recreation
- Posts: 1278
- Joined: Wed Feb 25, 2004 10:06 pm
- Location: The Big O
Re: Valentino's Pizza
It’s often a bit of a daunting task to remember the “good old days” accurately. But my memory is that the original Valentino’s prior to the franchising and maybe for first year or two of the first few locations had a much better pie. But then it all went rapidly downhill. This, or good old days memory bias at work.
My old signature got too old. So old it was getting almost as old me as me. Yeah, it was up there in years.
-
bigredmed1
- Parks & Recreation
- Posts: 1689
- Joined: Tue May 30, 2017 3:16 am
Re: Valentino's Pizza
It was never in Omaha before franchising. It was said in Lincoln that it was best when it was just in the East Campus location.guy4omaha wrote: Tue Mar 29, 2022 9:40 pm It’s often a bit of a daunting task to remember the “good old days” accurately. But my memory is that the original Valentino’s prior to the franchising and maybe for first year or two of the first few locations had a much better pie. But then it all went rapidly downhill. This, or good old days memory bias at work.
-
Bob from Omaha
- Planning Board
- Posts: 3079
- Joined: Wed Sep 08, 2004 8:00 pm
- Location: Metro Detroit Michigan
Re: Valentino's Pizza
I remember Val's original Lincoln location. I'd been going there since the early 70s. In high school we'd drive down almost every weekend to eat there. When did they open their first Omaha location? Of course it was after I started at UNL.
The food at the original when there was only one location (& even when they opened in East Lincoln at 70th south of O) was good, the garlic rolls were amazing. There wasn't really anything like their pizza in Omaha. In Omaha we had Big Fred's, Sortino's, Caniglia's, & a few others. Godfathers was just starting at their original location around 99th & Q and it wasn't as good as Val's, though it was better than after they started franchising.
Bottom line to me is the same for both Godfathers & Valentino's: Neither are remotely as good as when they had one location. Quality practically vanished. Quantity over quality. No consistency. The buffets were a hog trough. (Seriously? Tacos???) Stuff yourself & pay in a few hours. I seriously doubt that at 63 years old I could handle eating at Valentino's.
It's sad. The fact is that I can count the number of restaurants that have grown a large number of locations and have the same quality on one hand and have plenty of fingers left over.
The food at the original when there was only one location (& even when they opened in East Lincoln at 70th south of O) was good, the garlic rolls were amazing. There wasn't really anything like their pizza in Omaha. In Omaha we had Big Fred's, Sortino's, Caniglia's, & a few others. Godfathers was just starting at their original location around 99th & Q and it wasn't as good as Val's, though it was better than after they started franchising.
Bottom line to me is the same for both Godfathers & Valentino's: Neither are remotely as good as when they had one location. Quality practically vanished. Quantity over quality. No consistency. The buffets were a hog trough. (Seriously? Tacos???) Stuff yourself & pay in a few hours. I seriously doubt that at 63 years old I could handle eating at Valentino's.
It's sad. The fact is that I can count the number of restaurants that have grown a large number of locations and have the same quality on one hand and have plenty of fingers left over.
-
bigredmed1
- Parks & Recreation
- Posts: 1689
- Joined: Tue May 30, 2017 3:16 am
Re: Valentino's Pizza
The Vals on 132 and Center is ok. Not like the original.
-
guy4omaha
- Parks & Recreation
- Posts: 1278
- Joined: Wed Feb 25, 2004 10:06 pm
- Location: The Big O
Re: Valentino's Pizza
Yes, my sentence wasn’t clear. I wasn’t trying to say Vals was in Omaha prior to franchising. Bob’s post above this one said more clearly what I meant to say. And I agree that the East campus location was the best. But it went downhill to once they lost focus it seems with franchising.bigredmed1 wrote: Wed Mar 30, 2022 12:19 amIt was never in Omaha before franchising. It was said in Lincoln that it was best when it was just in the East Campus location.guy4omaha wrote: Tue Mar 29, 2022 9:40 pm It’s often a bit of a daunting task to remember the “good old days” accurately. But my memory is that the original Valentino’s prior to the franchising and maybe for first year or two of the first few locations had a much better pie. But then it all went rapidly downhill. This, or good old days memory bias at work.
My old signature got too old. So old it was getting almost as old me as me. Yeah, it was up there in years.
-
nativeomahan
- County Board
- Posts: 6013
- Joined: Fri Nov 12, 2004 8:46 pm
- Location: Omaha and Puerto Vallarta
Re: Valentino's Pizza
Oh the memories!
Back when I was a half silly high schooler (as opposed to now being a half senile retiree) my buddies and I would regularly drive one of our gas guzzlers down I-80 on a Friday evening to dine at Val’s on South 70th. We ate there enough to be regulars, often enduring 45 minute waits just to secure a table in their large dining room. We craved the soft doughy slices of scrumptious pizza! To this day I still recall a sign hanging over the prep area in the Val’s Take Out area at 132 and Arbor. It read “Every Valentino’s pizza must be absolutely perfect!” When they honored that rule their pizzas were superb.
I think what led to their downfall was over expansion and franchising, which led to the start of their buffets. No buffet pizza will ever attain the goal of being “absolutely perfect”.
Does anyone remember their Grinder sandwiches? OMG were they ever good. But when they switched to being mostly a buffet those sandwiches disappeared from the menu, never to return.
Until Valentino’s returns to their roots they will remain in the “also ran” category of pizzerias.
Back when I was a half silly high schooler (as opposed to now being a half senile retiree) my buddies and I would regularly drive one of our gas guzzlers down I-80 on a Friday evening to dine at Val’s on South 70th. We ate there enough to be regulars, often enduring 45 minute waits just to secure a table in their large dining room. We craved the soft doughy slices of scrumptious pizza! To this day I still recall a sign hanging over the prep area in the Val’s Take Out area at 132 and Arbor. It read “Every Valentino’s pizza must be absolutely perfect!” When they honored that rule their pizzas were superb.
I think what led to their downfall was over expansion and franchising, which led to the start of their buffets. No buffet pizza will ever attain the goal of being “absolutely perfect”.
Does anyone remember their Grinder sandwiches? OMG were they ever good. But when they switched to being mostly a buffet those sandwiches disappeared from the menu, never to return.
Until Valentino’s returns to their roots they will remain in the “also ran” category of pizzerias.
-
swinquest
- Home Owners Association
- Posts: 191
- Joined: Mon Mar 31, 2014 4:46 am
Re: Valentino's Pizza
Their website shows that they are still open at this location.nativeomahan wrote: Sat Mar 26, 2022 2:58 pm Yes I believe sometime in the second half of 2021 that location closed.
I remember (from my youth) how when Valentino’s first opened in Omaha (late 1970s?) they were extremely popular.
Just another example of changing public tastes.
102nd and Maple – To-Go
(402) 571-1400 — Contact Location
10190 Maple Street
Omaha, Nebraska 68134
Get Directions ❯
Menus:
Carry-Out Menu
Express Lunch Menu
Broasted Chicken Menu
Catering Menu
Hours:
Carryout & Delivery
Sun – Thur: 11am to 9pm
Fri – Sat: 11am to 10pm
-
nativeomahan
- County Board
- Posts: 6013
- Joined: Fri Nov 12, 2004 8:46 pm
- Location: Omaha and Puerto Vallarta
Re: Valentino's Pizza
Yes. But they closed the restaurant. It is a carry out kitchen only. No longer a restaurant.
-
ChadJK
- Planning Board
- Posts: 2505
- Joined: Tue Feb 19, 2019 8:51 pm
Re: Valentino's Pizza
The Valentino's in Springfield closed. I'm not sure when. It was near 144th & Platteview Rd.
-
djc311
- Planning Board
- Posts: 2144
- Joined: Wed Mar 10, 2004 4:44 am
- Location: Omaha
Re: Valentino's Pizza
That's a bummer... not for me personally, but I like a little Val's here and there.ChadJK wrote: Thu Feb 26, 2026 5:46 pm The Valentino's in Springfield closed. I'm not sure when. It was near 144th & Platteview Rd.
Unfortunately they've kinda priced themselves out of our pizza rotation. I also used to buy their frozen pizzas and lasagna at HyVee but that's gone up in price multiple times over the past 2 years as well.
-
nebugeater
- City Council
- Posts: 110975
- Joined: Wed Aug 04, 2004 11:07 pm
- Location: Gretna NE
Re: Valentino's Pizza
Was it a quick takeout place in a gas station? Not sureChadJK wrote: Thu Feb 26, 2026 5:46 pm The Valentino's in Springfield closed. I'm not sure when. It was near 144th & Platteview Rd.
There is one like that in Cersco.
For the record NEBUGEATER does not equal BUGEATER !!!!!!!
-
ChadJK
- Planning Board
- Posts: 2505
- Joined: Tue Feb 19, 2019 8:51 pm
Re: Valentino's Pizza
Close. It wasn't *IN* the gas station, but occupied the same building. The building housed Mega Saver (formerly B&D Pitstop), Valentino's, and Black Sheep Coffeehouse. Mega Saver and Black Sheep remain.nebugeater wrote: Thu Feb 26, 2026 6:53 pmWas it a quick takeout place in a gas station? Not sureChadJK wrote: Thu Feb 26, 2026 5:46 pm The Valentino's in Springfield closed. I'm not sure when. It was near 144th & Platteview Rd.
There is one like that in Cersco.
I think they're all sort of takeout only places these days, but the Springfield location was smaller than most.
-
OverlookedFarm
- Home Owners Association
- Posts: 184
- Joined: Wed Apr 13, 2016 10:13 pm
Re: Valentino's Pizza
It closed last September.ChadJK wrote: Thu Feb 26, 2026 5:46 pm The Valentino's in Springfield closed. I'm not sure when. It was near 144th & Platteview Rd.
Had great lunch deals. Need some better options in Springfield.
-
jag42
- Human Relations
- Posts: 543
- Joined: Sat Mar 14, 2009 6:29 pm
- Location: Omaha Metro Area
Re: Valentino's Pizza
I just wish there was still a Valentino's buffet in Omaha/Council Bluffs.
-
CrankyOldDude
- Home Owners Association
- Posts: 80
- Joined: Mon Feb 09, 2026 9:58 pm
Re: Valentino's Pizza
In the 80s Val's started another chain called Piece of the Pie. It was a slice to go with a drive thru. Started in 1982 and when they sold it in 1985 it already had 45 locations. The had one on 72nd near Farnam. Honestly, for a slice to go it was pretty good. Nothing like Val's pizza if you can believe that but I thought it was good.
-
GenX
- Parks & Recreation
- Posts: 1232
- Joined: Fri Feb 05, 2016 2:16 am
- Location: Omaha
Re: Valentino's Pizza
I wish Godfather’s still offered slices to go, it was a frequent lunch stop. Last one I knew of was 120 & Center.CrankyOldDude wrote: Fri Feb 27, 2026 12:09 am In the 80s Val's started another chain called Piece of the Pie. It was a slice to go with a drive thru. Started in 1982 and when they sold it in 1985 it already had 45 locations. The had one on 72nd near Farnam. Honestly, for a slice to go it was pretty good. Nothing like Val's pizza if you can believe that but I thought it was good.
-
Greg S
- City Council
- Posts: 8998
- Joined: Thu Aug 26, 2004 3:46 pm
Re: Valentino's Pizza
I grew up about 5 blocks east of that Piece of the Pie on 72nd. It shared that building with our neighborhood WC Franks. Great memories.CrankyOldDude wrote: Fri Feb 27, 2026 12:09 am In the 80s Val's started another chain called Piece of the Pie. It was a slice to go with a drive thru. Started in 1982 and when they sold it in 1985 it already had 45 locations. The had one on 72nd near Farnam. Honestly, for a slice to go it was pretty good. Nothing like Val's pizza if you can believe that but I thought it was good.
-
CrankyOldDude
- Home Owners Association
- Posts: 80
- Joined: Mon Feb 09, 2026 9:58 pm
Re: Valentino's Pizza
The Arbys on 72nd was a Red Barn originally. There was also a Schlotzkys nearby. In its prime 72nd was called The Strip. Ross', Kenny's, so many others. Sortino's at 72nd & Pacific. It was amazing.Greg S wrote: Fri Feb 27, 2026 3:33 pmI grew up about 5 blocks east of that Piece of the Pie on 72nd. It shared that building with our neighborhood WC Franks. Great memories.CrankyOldDude wrote: Fri Feb 27, 2026 12:09 am In the 80s Val's started another chain called Piece of the Pie. It was a slice to go with a drive thru. Started in 1982 and when they sold it in 1985 it already had 45 locations. The had one on 72nd near Farnam. Honestly, for a slice to go it was pretty good. Nothing like Val's pizza if you can believe that but I thought it was good.
-
Greg S
- City Council
- Posts: 8998
- Joined: Thu Aug 26, 2004 3:46 pm
Re: Valentino's Pizza
Wow I don't remember the Red Barn there (the two I remember was 84th and Dodge and one down on Center that might be where the Runza is now). I worked at Kenny's as a busboy during this time while in high school. I think Schlotzkys went where WC Franks used to be but there was a Don and Millies in there in-between.CrankyOldDude wrote: Fri Feb 27, 2026 4:50 pmThe Arbys on 72nd was a Red Barn originally. There was also a Schlotzkys nearby. In its prime 72nd was called The Strip. Ross', Kenny's, so many others. Sortino's at 72nd & Pacific. It was amazing.Greg S wrote: Fri Feb 27, 2026 3:33 pmI grew up about 5 blocks east of that Piece of the Pie on 72nd. It shared that building with our neighborhood WC Franks. Great memories.CrankyOldDude wrote: Fri Feb 27, 2026 12:09 am In the 80s Val's started another chain called Piece of the Pie. It was a slice to go with a drive thru. Started in 1982 and when they sold it in 1985 it already had 45 locations. The had one on 72nd near Farnam. Honestly, for a slice to go it was pretty good. Nothing like Val's pizza if you can believe that but I thought it was good.
-
djc311
- Planning Board
- Posts: 2144
- Joined: Wed Mar 10, 2004 4:44 am
- Location: Omaha
Re: Valentino's Pizza
Ahhh... WC Franks! I used to eat at Schlotzkys when I worked at the Mart... I miss Godfathers at 76th & Pacific. Loved the multi-level dining options (although they seemed to close off the top levels regularly, probably to keep annoying kids out of there). That's where I would play Cyclone pinball under their staircase... loved that game enough that I tracked one down on eBay about 20 years ago (glad I did it when I did because they're stupid expensive now!)Greg S wrote: Fri Feb 27, 2026 4:54 pmWow I don't remember the Red Barn there (the two I remember was 84th and Dodge and one down on Center that might be where the Runza is now). I worked at Kenny's as a busboy during this time while in high school. I think Schlotzkys went where WC Franks used to be but there was a Don and Millies in there in-between.CrankyOldDude wrote: Fri Feb 27, 2026 4:50 pmThe Arbys on 72nd was a Red Barn originally. There was also a Schlotzkys nearby. In its prime 72nd was called The Strip. Ross', Kenny's, so many others. Sortino's at 72nd & Pacific. It was amazing.Greg S wrote: Fri Feb 27, 2026 3:33 pmI grew up about 5 blocks east of that Piece of the Pie on 72nd. It shared that building with our neighborhood WC Franks. Great memories.CrankyOldDude wrote: Fri Feb 27, 2026 12:09 am In the 80s Val's started another chain called Piece of the Pie. It was a slice to go with a drive thru. Started in 1982 and when they sold it in 1985 it already had 45 locations. The had one on 72nd near Farnam. Honestly, for a slice to go it was pretty good. Nothing like Val's pizza if you can believe that but I thought it was good.
-
CrankyOldDude
- Home Owners Association
- Posts: 80
- Joined: Mon Feb 09, 2026 9:58 pm
Re: Valentino's Pizza
I think I misspoke about Red Barn. You're right about it being at 84th & Dodge.
-
bbinks
- Parks & Recreation
- Posts: 1553
- Joined: Thu Sep 14, 2006 9:10 pm
Re: Valentino's Pizza
The Center location is currently a Subway, still in the barn building. The Runza was originally a Runza Hut, owned by a different family member as Runza. The 72nd st location accros from the above mentioned Arby's was also a Runza Hut in the 80s.Greg S wrote: Fri Feb 27, 2026 4:54 pmWow I don't remember the Red Barn there (the two I remember was 84th and Dodge and one down on Center that might be where the Runza is now). I worked at Kenny's as a busboy during this time while in high school. I think Schlotzkys went where WC Franks used to be but there was a Don and Millies in there in-between.CrankyOldDude wrote: Fri Feb 27, 2026 4:50 pmThe Arbys on 72nd was a Red Barn originally. There was also a Schlotzkys nearby. In its prime 72nd was called The Strip. Ross', Kenny's, so many others. Sortino's at 72nd & Pacific. It was amazing.Greg S wrote: Fri Feb 27, 2026 3:33 pmI grew up about 5 blocks east of that Piece of the Pie on 72nd. It shared that building with our neighborhood WC Franks. Great memories.CrankyOldDude wrote: Fri Feb 27, 2026 12:09 am In the 80s Val's started another chain called Piece of the Pie. It was a slice to go with a drive thru. Started in 1982 and when they sold it in 1985 it already had 45 locations. The had one on 72nd near Farnam. Honestly, for a slice to go it was pretty good. Nothing like Val's pizza if you can believe that but I thought it was good.