Waterfall and Leafs (PRSP)

Share your photographs and videos taken from around the metro
User avatar
Brad
Photographer
Posts: 1036595
Joined: Sun Feb 29, 2004 12:03 am
Location: Omaha, NE

Waterfall and Leafs (PRSP)

Post by Brad »

Waterfall and Leafs at Platte River State Park.

After sitting at home all week with the crummy weather. It was time to get out and Shoot. Josh and I headed down to Platte River State park. I have not been to the waterfall in 2 decades and Josh had not been there in a long time either.

1. Waterfall
Image

2. Leafs
Image

3. Josh shooting a photo
Image
the1wags
County Board
Posts: 3854
Joined: Thu Dec 02, 2004 1:43 am
Location: Denver

Waterfall and Leafs (PRSP)

Post by the1wags »

Here's one I got out there. Nothing too fantastic but was good to get outta the house.

Image
User avatar
Coyote
City Council
Posts: 34366
Joined: Tue Nov 18, 2003 5:18 pm
Yahoo Messenger: jestcoyote
Location: Aksarben Village

Waterfall and Leafs (PRSP)

Post by Coyote »

:thumb:
User avatar
thenewguy
County Board
Posts: 4347
Joined: Sat Oct 20, 2007 2:50 am
Location: Council Bluffs

Waterfall and Leafs (PRSP)

Post by thenewguy »

were you guys taking any pictures of the sunset? I saw a photographer on an overpass taking a picture of the sunset near the platte river...

Damned good pictures guys.
Go Cubs Go
User avatar
Brad
Photographer
Posts: 1036595
Joined: Sun Feb 29, 2004 12:03 am
Location: Omaha, NE

Waterfall and Leafs (PRSP)

Post by Brad »

Not me... I wish because that sunset was spectacular!
User avatar
S33
County Board
Posts: 4430
Joined: Wed May 07, 2008 5:15 pm

Waterfall and Leafs (PRSP)

Post by S33 »

Cool pictures, I had no idea we had landscape like that around here. I may have to check it out sometime.
almighty_tuna
City Council
Posts: 106383
Joined: Tue Apr 13, 2004 6:34 pm
Location: Somewhere between downtown and Colorado

Waterfall and Leafs (PRSP)

Post by almighty_tuna »

Cool photos! I don't think i've been down to the falls since i was 10yrs old.
StreetsOfOmaha
City Council
Posts: 6854
Joined: Sun Feb 08, 2004 10:46 pm

Waterfall and Leafs (PRSP)

Post by StreetsOfOmaha »

Thanks guys. Those are gorgeous. Makes me want to get down there yet this fall.
"The right to have access to every building in the city by private motorcar in an age when everyone possesses such a vehicle is actually the right to destroy the city."
Lewis Mumford, The Highway and the City, 1963
User avatar
Brad
Photographer
Posts: 1036595
Joined: Sun Feb 29, 2004 12:03 am
Location: Omaha, NE

Waterfall and Leafs (PRSP)

Post by Brad »

StreetsOfOmaha wrote:Makes me want to get down there yet this fall.
Thanks Streets, I think today MIGHT be the last day of fall...
StreetsOfOmaha
City Council
Posts: 6854
Joined: Sun Feb 08, 2004 10:46 pm

Waterfall and Leafs (PRSP)

Post by StreetsOfOmaha »

Well, you know what I mean.

S33, you should get out more often. Omaha is pretty much surrounded on at least three sides by such geography.
"The right to have access to every building in the city by private motorcar in an age when everyone possesses such a vehicle is actually the right to destroy the city."
Lewis Mumford, The Highway and the City, 1963
User avatar
S33
County Board
Posts: 4430
Joined: Wed May 07, 2008 5:15 pm

Waterfall and Leafs (PRSP)

Post by S33 »

StreetsOfOmaha wrote:Well, you know what I mean.

S33, you should get out more often. Omaha is pretty much surrounded on at least three sides by such geography.
Dude, I grew up in the Loess Hills. I've never in my life seen stone landscape with waterfalls. I didn't think the limestone (i think that's what it is) was visible until just south of Rockport.
User avatar
Coyote
City Council
Posts: 34366
Joined: Tue Nov 18, 2003 5:18 pm
Yahoo Messenger: jestcoyote
Location: Aksarben Village

Waterfall and Leafs (PRSP)

Post by Coyote »

I also heard that tomorrow will be back to cold overcast - so I went out there to take a look myself - I haven't been there since they widened Hwy 50. Just have to say - why the |expletive| didn't you warn us about all those freaking bugs out there.
User avatar
Brad
Photographer
Posts: 1036595
Joined: Sun Feb 29, 2004 12:03 am
Location: Omaha, NE

Waterfall and Leafs (PRSP)

Post by Brad »

No bugs when we were there?
User avatar
Coyote
City Council
Posts: 34366
Joined: Tue Nov 18, 2003 5:18 pm
Yahoo Messenger: jestcoyote
Location: Aksarben Village

Waterfall and Leafs (PRSP)

Post by Coyote »

Brad wrote:No bugs when we were there?
Those fricken Asian Beatles were all over the place. I had a few in the car I tried to get rid of out of an open window and almost had a head on collision.

Any way - here is all that I came home with - color almost all gone after the rain/wind the other day. But thanks none-the-less for getting me out of the office - I really needed to be in the sun for one more day. I heard the other day - we only had one sunny day in the first half of October w-t-f with that?

Image

Image

Image

Image

Image
User avatar
Brad
Photographer
Posts: 1036595
Joined: Sun Feb 29, 2004 12:03 am
Location: Omaha, NE

Waterfall and Leafs (PRSP)

Post by Brad »

Great Stuff Mark! :thumb:
User avatar
Coyote
City Council
Posts: 34366
Joined: Tue Nov 18, 2003 5:18 pm
Yahoo Messenger: jestcoyote
Location: Aksarben Village

Waterfall and Leafs (PRSP)

Post by Coyote »

Thanks Brad - I saturated the |expletive| out of those to get the colors as you can see. I had not recharged the battery for my real camera - had 9 minutes left - so I had to go out with my Sony Cyber-shoot and no Pod. I just found out I cannot change photo speed length on this camera - so it is normal speed. I had to go back and see yours and Wags photos to see what colors were there. I have no idea why I haven't been back there in YEARS. Thanks for the suggestion - I needed the afternoon out.
the1wags
County Board
Posts: 3854
Joined: Thu Dec 02, 2004 1:43 am
Location: Denver

Waterfall and Leafs (PRSP)

Post by the1wags »

Cool Mark. The beetles must have come out today from the warmth, no bugs there the other day. It is a pretty nice area, glad you got out and about. :)
StreetsOfOmaha
City Council
Posts: 6854
Joined: Sun Feb 08, 2004 10:46 pm

Waterfall and Leafs (PRSP)

Post by StreetsOfOmaha »

S33 wrote:Dude, I grew up in the Loess Hills. I've never in my life seen stone landscape with waterfalls.
Then I guess you learned something new. :)

There are areas of exposed rock outcroppings in the area around Plattsmouth in the south Metro. I'll admit I've never seen these particular waterfalls.

Thanks for the additional photos, Coyote!
"The right to have access to every building in the city by private motorcar in an age when everyone possesses such a vehicle is actually the right to destroy the city."
Lewis Mumford, The Highway and the City, 1963
User avatar
Stargazer
County Board
Posts: 4182
Joined: Sat Dec 09, 2006 5:06 pm
Location: Bennington

Waterfall and Leafs (PRSP)

Post by Stargazer »

I like Platte River so much more than Mahoney... which is so horribly over commercialized. I just wish they had some camping space (other than the teepee's). If you're in to the modern cabin thing... definitely a better place to go than Mahoney.
Shoot for the Moon... if you miss, you'll land among the stars.
TechnicalDisaster
Parks & Recreation
Posts: 1649
Joined: Mon Nov 08, 2004 10:47 pm
Location: I got old...

Waterfall and Leafs (PRSP)

Post by TechnicalDisaster »

Stargazer wrote:I like Platte River so much more than Mahoney... which is so horribly over commercialized. I just wish they had some camping space (other than the teepee's). If you're in to the modern cabin thing... definitely a better place to go than Mahoney.
What's wrong with having a lot of activities? My family loves Mahoney soooo much more.
StreetsOfOmaha
City Council
Posts: 6854
Joined: Sun Feb 08, 2004 10:46 pm

Waterfall and Leafs (PRSP)

Post by StreetsOfOmaha »

bradley414 wrote:
Stargazer wrote:I like Platte River so much more than Mahoney... which is so horribly over commercialized. I just wish they had some camping space (other than the teepee's). If you're in to the modern cabin thing... definitely a better place to go than Mahoney.
What's wrong with having a lot of activities? My family loves Mahoney soooo much more.
The state parks start to resemble amusement parks. There's nothing wrong with it, and that's why Mahoney is so popular. But it's nice to have other great options in the region that offer a more "pristine" experience.
"The right to have access to every building in the city by private motorcar in an age when everyone possesses such a vehicle is actually the right to destroy the city."
Lewis Mumford, The Highway and the City, 1963
icejammer
County Board
Posts: 3569
Joined: Tue Oct 05, 2004 4:39 pm
Location: Council Bluffs

Waterfall and Leafs (PRSP)

Post by icejammer »

S33 wrote:Dude, I grew up in the Loess Hills. I've never in my life seen stone landscape with waterfalls. I didn't think the limestone (i think that's what it is) was visible until just south of Rockport.

Actually, there are quite a few places in western Iowa with bedrock outcrops, mainly along the larger streams. If you go to extreme nowrthwest Iowa, you'll find some Precambrian outcrops, some of the oldest you'll find anywhere. I've tried to find a map I saw a long time ago that showed outcroppings in the state, which was really nice to know if you were going to fossil hunt, but to no avail. If you're into geology, there are a number of places in the Loess Hills where you can see a layer of volcanic ash from the Yellowstone eruption about 70000 yrs ago.

Eastern Iowa, on the other hand, is chock-full of places with exposed bedrock.
"Destiny is not a matter of chance, it is a matter of choice; it is not a thing to be waited for, it is a thing to be achieved."

--William Jennings Bryan
User avatar
Brad
Photographer
Posts: 1036595
Joined: Sun Feb 29, 2004 12:03 am
Location: Omaha, NE

Waterfall and Leafs (PRSP)

Post by Brad »

Any Waterfalls Icejammer?
TechnicalDisaster
Parks & Recreation
Posts: 1649
Joined: Mon Nov 08, 2004 10:47 pm
Location: I got old...

Waterfall and Leafs (PRSP)

Post by TechnicalDisaster »

Coyote wrote:Thanks Brad - I saturated the |expletive| out of those to get the colors as you can see. I had not recharged the battery for my real camera - had 9 minutes left - so I had to go out with my Sony Cyber-shoot and no Pod. I just found out I cannot change photo speed length on this camera - so it is normal speed. I had to go back and see yours and Wags photos to see what colors were there. I have no idea why I haven't been back there in YEARS. Thanks for the suggestion - I needed the afternoon out.
Real camera? I thought you only had the cyber shot?
User avatar
Brad
Photographer
Posts: 1036595
Joined: Sun Feb 29, 2004 12:03 am
Location: Omaha, NE

Waterfall and Leafs (PRSP)

Post by Brad »

Image
User avatar
thenewguy
County Board
Posts: 4347
Joined: Sat Oct 20, 2007 2:50 am
Location: Council Bluffs

Waterfall and Leafs (PRSP)

Post by thenewguy »

very clever Brad :)
Go Cubs Go
User avatar
Brad
Photographer
Posts: 1036595
Joined: Sun Feb 29, 2004 12:03 am
Location: Omaha, NE

Waterfall and Leafs (PRSP)

Post by Brad »

thenewguy wrote:very clever Brad :)
I should have waited until tonight and done it in photos shop, it could have looked Awesome!
icejammer
County Board
Posts: 3569
Joined: Tue Oct 05, 2004 4:39 pm
Location: Council Bluffs

Waterfall and Leafs (PRSP)

Post by icejammer »

Brad wrote:Any Waterfalls Icejammer?
Most Iowa waterfalls would be found in northeastern Iowa. There are a few places in western Iowa where a rock outcrop across a river leaves a couple feet drop across part of the channel, but I wouldn't call that a waterfall.
"Destiny is not a matter of chance, it is a matter of choice; it is not a thing to be waited for, it is a thing to be achieved."

--William Jennings Bryan
User avatar
Coyote
City Council
Posts: 34366
Joined: Tue Nov 18, 2003 5:18 pm
Yahoo Messenger: jestcoyote
Location: Aksarben Village

Waterfall and Leafs (PRSP)

Post by Coyote »

bradley414 wrote:Real camera? I thought you only had the cyber shot?
My 'real camera' is an old Sony F717. I bought the Cyber-Shot a few years ago for portability. Of course my real camera is an ancient Canon AE1. I don't know the last time I dusted that one off.
User avatar
Coyote
City Council
Posts: 34366
Joined: Tue Nov 18, 2003 5:18 pm
Yahoo Messenger: jestcoyote
Location: Aksarben Village

Waterfall and Leafs (PRSP)

Post by Coyote »

Brad wrote:Image



:P Yeah - they really bugged me.
icejammer
County Board
Posts: 3569
Joined: Tue Oct 05, 2004 4:39 pm
Location: Council Bluffs

Waterfall and Leafs (PRSP)

Post by icejammer »

Brad wrote:Any Waterfalls Icejammer?
Here's a couple shots of the rock cut near Hitchcock House (Underground Railroad stop) on the Nishnabotna River, just as an example of what I'm talking about in western Iowa:

Image
Approaching chute from upstream

Image
Going thru the chute

Image
Looking back up at the rock ledge, about 3 feet high, just for scale
"Destiny is not a matter of chance, it is a matter of choice; it is not a thing to be waited for, it is a thing to be achieved."

--William Jennings Bryan
User avatar
Brad
Photographer
Posts: 1036595
Joined: Sun Feb 29, 2004 12:03 am
Location: Omaha, NE

Waterfall and Leafs (PRSP)

Post by Brad »

Thanks for the photos. The waterfall in Platte River State Park is only 4' high.
User avatar
Coyote
City Council
Posts: 34366
Joined: Tue Nov 18, 2003 5:18 pm
Yahoo Messenger: jestcoyote
Location: Aksarben Village

Waterfall and Leafs (PRSP)

Post by Coyote »

the1wags wrote:Cool Mark. The beetles must have come out today from the warmth, no bugs there the other day. It is a pretty nice area, glad you got out and about. :)
Looks like they waited for my visit:

Asian lady beetles on the march
Pilot-Tribune & Enterprise wrote:Thousands of tiny, winged insects descending upon isolated farmhouses, beating at glass paned windows with delicate bodies, smashing against siding and doors, swarming into any open crevice, blocking out the sun in a black mass of insect doom. That's exactly what Monday afternoon felt like for some Washington County residents. "They're pretty common," said UNL Extension Educator Steve Tonn. "On Monday it was a nice day, so they were flying around looking for a place for protection, and they're attracted to homes and siding. It's not an unusual occurrence."

Asian lady beetles, used as a biological control in the U.S. since 1988, feed on insect pests in orchards, forests and row crops. The beetles are commonly used as a natural pesticide against aphids, scale and other soft-bodied arthropods. The multicolored bugs are native to Asia.
User avatar
Coyote
City Council
Posts: 34366
Joined: Tue Nov 18, 2003 5:18 pm
Yahoo Messenger: jestcoyote
Location: Aksarben Village

Re: Waterfall and Leafs (PRSP)

Post by Coyote »

User avatar
Brad
Photographer
Posts: 1036595
Joined: Sun Feb 29, 2004 12:03 am
Location: Omaha, NE

Re: Waterfall and Leafs (PRSP)

Post by Brad »

Cool, Never knew about Fort Falls.

I have been to Smith, Stair Step, and Berry Falls. Snake River has been on my list, but now it looks like there are two on my list out there.

Smith Falls is cool, largest waterfall in the state. Its fun you can go back in behind the water on the right side of it. The water is really cold, but feels good after you have been out in the canoe for a while.

Berry is neat, on the downstream side of it there is hole that a full sized adult can climb down in and only your head is sticking out above the water. The waterfall is pouring down on top of you too. Lot of fun!

Stair Step is cool because its set back in the trees and different than most of the falls in the Nioabrara area.