The other day happened upon a crew who have been working along Pacific Street, near Regency, installing fiber optic cable lines. I first thought they were OPPD related, and I asked a couple of the workers what they were up to. They both said they were hired to install the fiber optic lines for Verizon.
I guess I am not tech savvy enough to know if this is related to the upcoming 5G upgrade or something completely unrelated. Maybe someone on here has some insight.
Verizon
-
Padre
- Human Relations
- Posts: 929
- Joined: Thu Jul 27, 2017 9:53 pm
- Location: Omaha
Re: Verizon
They’ve been doing the same thing on 52nd street. They put some sort of wiring/junction box in on my front parking. I have no idea what it is.nativeomahan wrote: Fri Oct 11, 2019 8:00 pm The other day happened upon a crew who have been working along Pacific Street, near Regency, installing fiber optic cable lines. I first thought they were OPPD related, and I asked a couple of the workers what they were up to. They both said they were hired to install the fiber optic lines for Verizon.
I guess I am not tech savvy enough to know if this is related to the upcoming 5G upgrade or something completely unrelated. Maybe someone on here has some insight.
-
SiliconFarmer
- New to the Neighborhood
- Posts: 46
- Joined: Wed Jul 25, 2018 2:30 pm
- Location: Downtown
Re: Verizon
Verizon 5G has been officially announced for parts of downtown Omaha like the Old Market, Orpheum Theater, Durham Museum, Central High School, and Creighton University.
-
ScrattyB
- Library Board
- Posts: 359
- Joined: Fri Nov 16, 2018 2:16 pm
Re: Verizon
Official announcement:SiliconFarmer wrote: Fri Oct 25, 2019 11:38 am Verizon 5G has been officially announced for parts of downtown Omaha like the Old Market, Orpheum Theater, Durham Museum, Central High School, and Creighton University.
https://www.verizon.com/about/news/veri ... ore-cities
-
stormchaser
- Planning Board
- Posts: 2380
- Joined: Fri Jun 01, 2018 8:14 am
Verizon Has 5G Service in Parts of Omaha
Verizon has rolled out 5G service in parts of Omaha (mainly the downtown area for now). Anyone try it yet that has a compatible device?
More info:
https://www.omaha.com/news/local/verizo ... 14b09.html
More info:
https://www.omaha.com/news/local/verizo ... 14b09.html
-
Omaha Cowboy
- The Don
- Posts: 1013719
- Joined: Wed Jan 07, 2004 5:31 am
- Location: West Omaha
Re: Verizon
Great newsScrattyB wrote: Fri Oct 25, 2019 2:29 pmOfficial announcement:SiliconFarmer wrote: Fri Oct 25, 2019 11:38 am Verizon 5G has been officially announced for parts of downtown Omaha like the Old Market, Orpheum Theater, Durham Museum, Central High School, and Creighton University.
https://www.verizon.com/about/news/veri ... ore-cities
Ciao..LiO...Peace
Go Cowboys!
-
Uffda
- County Board
- Posts: 4621
- Joined: Sun Jun 12, 2005 9:52 pm
- Location: Land o Lakes, FL
Re: Verizon
Looks like they are pushing it out everywhere
Verizon: 5G will be live in Sioux Falls by year's end
https://www.argusleader.com/story/news/ ... 111957002/
Verizon: 5G will be live in Sioux Falls by year's end
https://www.argusleader.com/story/news/ ... 111957002/
We are the people our parents warned us about.
Jimmy Buffett
Jimmy Buffett
-
ScrattyB
- Library Board
- Posts: 359
- Joined: Fri Nov 16, 2018 2:16 pm
Re: Verizon
If by everywhere you mean a few selected spots around the US, then yes. Millimeter wave range is very small.Uffda wrote: Sat Nov 02, 2019 6:45 am Looks like they are pushing it out everywhere
Verizon: 5G will be live in Sioux Falls by year's end
https://www.argusleader.com/story/news/ ... 111957002/
-
nativeomahan
- County Board
- Posts: 6013
- Joined: Fri Nov 12, 2004 2:46 pm
- Location: Omaha and Puerto Vallarta
Re: Verizon
Again, excuse my ignorance, but are 5G phones even being sold at this point? I know that Apple isn’t on board yet.
-
lonnie
- Library Board
- Posts: 322
- Joined: Sat Sep 18, 2004 9:30 pm
5G Wireless
5G won’t change everything, or at least probably not your thingsnativeomahan wrote: Tue Nov 12, 2019 10:32 pm Again, excuse my ignorance, but are 5G phones even being sold at this point? I know that Apple isn’t on board yet.
https://arstechnica.com/information-tec ... ur-things/
A good read covering 5G, albeit not just Verizon related.