Hi All,
My family and I are relocating to Omaha from the East Coast this summer, and I'm trying to narrow in on good neighborhoods where we might live. We have a young son who will be in elementary school, and my husband will be working at Offutt.
Your opinions needed: what neighborhoods would have good schools, with walkability to parks, a welcoming atmosphere where people know each other/kids play outside, and the ability to bike to Offutt?
Thanks!
Neighborhoods/Schools for Family
-
Brad
- Photographer
- Posts: 1036559
- Joined: Sat Feb 28, 2004 6:03 pm
- Location: Omaha, NE
Re: Neighborhoods/Schools for Family
I think Papillion hits everything on your list.
There is a bike lane along Caphart Road from the south gate at Offutt west to the bike trail along the creek. From that bike trail you can get about anywhere, including to Papillion. From Halleck Park in Papillion there is a trail that runs due west along Lincoln and hits Prairie Queen as well as two soon to be lakes in between (WP6 and WP7).
Papillion has good schools, friendly neighborhoods, and lots of parks.
There is a bike lane along Caphart Road from the south gate at Offutt west to the bike trail along the creek. From that bike trail you can get about anywhere, including to Papillion. From Halleck Park in Papillion there is a trail that runs due west along Lincoln and hits Prairie Queen as well as two soon to be lakes in between (WP6 and WP7).
Papillion has good schools, friendly neighborhoods, and lots of parks.

Omaha Skyline Photos, Omaha Aerial Photos, and More.
Website: www.bradwilliamsphotography.com
Facebook: www.facebook.com/bradwilliamsphotography
Twitter: www.twitter.com/bradwphoto
Instagram: www.instagram.com/bradwilliamsphotography
YouTube: www.youtube.com/@bradwilliamsphoto
-
backtothemidwest
Re: Neighborhoods/Schools for Family
Thanks for the info! We'll take a look around Papillion.
Thoughts on Bellevue? Houses seem slightly more affordable...
Thoughts on Bellevue? Houses seem slightly more affordable...
-
Brad
- Photographer
- Posts: 1036559
- Joined: Sat Feb 28, 2004 6:03 pm
- Location: Omaha, NE
Re: Neighborhoods/Schools for Family
I don't know a lot about Bellevue. They have some nice neighborhoods, but I know nothing about their schools. Sorry.

Omaha Skyline Photos, Omaha Aerial Photos, and More.
Website: www.bradwilliamsphotography.com
Facebook: www.facebook.com/bradwilliamsphotography
Twitter: www.twitter.com/bradwphoto
Instagram: www.instagram.com/bradwilliamsphotography
YouTube: www.youtube.com/@bradwilliamsphoto
-
***
Re: Neighborhoods/Schools for Family
Bellevue is a much more established older city, so older and cheaper homes are more abundant there. There are some older affordable homes northeast of the base, but it does have a bit of a backwater vibe in that sector. Look southwest of base for newer homes. I also cannot attest to the quality of Bellevue Schools.
-
skinzfan23
- City Council
- Posts: 11629
- Joined: Mon Feb 09, 2004 11:26 am
- Location: Omaha/Bellevue
Re: Neighborhoods/Schools for Family
We have lived in Bellevue for the past 6 years and for the most part, love it. We sent our daughter to St. Matthews for pre-k and really liked it but are going to try the public schools. I have heard good things about them from a lot of reliable sources, so I am sure that it will be fine. Not sure what price point you are looking for with a house, but there are at least 5-6 large developments building southwest of Offutt. We live in Hyda Hills and they are just starting Hyda Hills II which will be houses in the $285 - $375,000 range.
-
ChadJK
- Planning Board
- Posts: 2504
- Joined: Tue Feb 19, 2019 2:51 pm
Re: Neighborhoods/Schools for Family
Papillion has sort of become the darling of Sarpy County. It seems to be where current military at Offutt recommends most often to the military families transferring to Offutt. I grew up in Bellevue, but I'd have to say Bellevue has gone downhill in the last 20 years or so. Not horribly so, but no longer the community I remember. Reduced demand 's probably why houses are a little cheaper in Bellevue. There are no bad school districts in Sarpy County. Personally, I'd recommend Gretna, but that is a bit of a haul to Offutt everyday (probably 25 mins), but it's a great community.