Opt In
-
ita
- County Board
- Posts: 4746
- Joined: Thu Jul 12, 2018 4:11 pm
Opt In
There is a new initiative being rolled out by our Chamber in cooperation with the Lincoln Chamber to try to lure people from outside the region to the designated "super region" of Lincoln-Omaha, specifically for tech jobs. The initiative is called OPTiN: Opportunities in Tech, and it starts with a job board for tech jobs in both Lincoln and Omaha metros. It is the first step, so I am excited to see what else they have planned. This has been talked about before in the forum, but I am glad that Lincoln and Omaha are starting to make concerted efforts to sell Omaha and Lincoln as one region, in terms of economics, talent, and workforce. Formal roll out is Friday. Here's the KETV article about it.
https://www.ketv.com/article/will-job-b ... n/28200151
https://www.ketv.com/article/will-job-b ... n/28200151
-
Doctor Fate
- Parks & Recreation
- Posts: 1276
- Joined: Tue Feb 20, 2018 5:31 pm
- Location: DC Metro
Re: The Omaha Chamber of Commerce
This is promising! Thanks for sharing.ita wrote: Thu Jun 27, 2019 1:22 pm There is a new initiative being rolled out by our Chamber in cooperation with the Lincoln Chamber to try to lure people from outside the region to the designated "super region" of Lincoln-Omaha, specifically for tech jobs. The initiative is called OPTiN: Opportunities in Tech, and it starts with a job board for tech jobs in both Lincoln and Omaha metros. It is the first step, so I am excited to see what else they have planned. This has been talked about before in the forum, but I am glad that Lincoln and Omaha are starting to make concerted efforts to sell Omaha and Lincoln as one region, in terms of economics, talent, and workforce. Formal roll out is Friday. Here's the KETV article about it.
https://www.ketv.com/article/will-job-b ... n/28200151
I'm interested to see what cities we try to poach talent from.
-
Doctor Fate
- Parks & Recreation
- Posts: 1276
- Joined: Tue Feb 20, 2018 5:31 pm
- Location: DC Metro
Re: The Omaha Chamber of Commerce
'This is a tech hub': Omaha, Lincoln to launch ad campaign aimed at luring workers from four cities
The "Opt In" campaign sponsored by the Omaha and Lincoln chambers seeks to lure workers from Chicago, Detroit, Denver and Sioux Falls to help address the region's shortage of tech workers.
With big-name Fortune 500 companies and a new wave of ambitious startups, "we have more jobs than we do people," reads the site's pitch. "That’s where you come in. Join us as we step into a bold, new era for Omaha and Lincoln — it’s tech-focused, people-fueled — and your next career step-up is waiting."
-
buildomaha
- Human Relations
- Posts: 700
- Joined: Tue May 31, 2016 7:06 pm
Re: The Omaha Chamber of Commerce
This has been a long time coming! Great for the Chamber(s) to finally initiate SOMETHING to address the brain drain.
From another point of view, hopefully the partnership on this project will open the door for the two metros and the Chambers to start thinking more collaboratively overall. They should continue to carry the 'super-region' thinking into everyone project they pursue. They should also start pushing for the federal government (census) and public opinion nationally to start thinking of one cohesive region in Eastern Nebraska between the two cities.
From another point of view, hopefully the partnership on this project will open the door for the two metros and the Chambers to start thinking more collaboratively overall. They should continue to carry the 'super-region' thinking into everyone project they pursue. They should also start pushing for the federal government (census) and public opinion nationally to start thinking of one cohesive region in Eastern Nebraska between the two cities.
#gohawks
-
Omaha Cowboy
- The Don
- Posts: 1013719
- Joined: Wed Jan 07, 2004 5:31 am
- Location: West Omaha
Re: Opt In
I think this initiative- which is a collaborative effort by the Omaha and Lincoln Chamber of Commerce’s deserves its own thread..
I’ve always believed from a business and economic standpoint, Omaha/Lincoln should join forces and market the area as a growing combined area of nearly 1.4 million in population..
This is excellent
...
Ciao..LiO...Peace
I’ve always believed from a business and economic standpoint, Omaha/Lincoln should join forces and market the area as a growing combined area of nearly 1.4 million in population..
This is excellent
Ciao..LiO...Peace
Go Cowboys!
-
RockHarbor
- Planning Board
- Posts: 2083
- Joined: Wed Mar 23, 2005 7:42 am
- Location: Silver State
Re: Opt In
I like this!! Usually, when people get together as a team, and develop a more aggressive, goal-orientated mindset, things happen more. They might still have their work cut out for them, but a team can make things happen.
I can just see it:
Dallas-Fort Worth, TX
Minneapolis-St Paul, MN
Seattle-Tacoma, WA
San Francisco-Oakland, CA
Tampa-St Petersburgh, FL
Omaha-Lincoln, NE
I think most of us like the idea of Omaha & Lincoln merged as one "powerhouse." Sometimes, I even wish they would just continually develop land (subdivisions, strip malls, restaurants, businesses) right along I-80 between Omaha and Lincoln, so it visually looks like one big sprawling city as you drive it. That "one big sprawling city" effect is mostly there when you drive between Austin and San Antonio. Dumb idea, and like it ever happen.
The thing I'm trying to understand is the four cities: Denver, Chicago, Sioux Falls, Detroit (I think I read). Why do they leave out Des Moines, Kansas City, Minneapolis, Topeka, Wichita, ect.? I don't get it. What does it matter where they lure the "talent?" Does that show that Omaha has better relationships with some cities, and not others, therefore they don't dare try to lure talent away from them?
I can just see it:
Dallas-Fort Worth, TX
Minneapolis-St Paul, MN
Seattle-Tacoma, WA
San Francisco-Oakland, CA
Tampa-St Petersburgh, FL
Omaha-Lincoln, NE
I think most of us like the idea of Omaha & Lincoln merged as one "powerhouse." Sometimes, I even wish they would just continually develop land (subdivisions, strip malls, restaurants, businesses) right along I-80 between Omaha and Lincoln, so it visually looks like one big sprawling city as you drive it. That "one big sprawling city" effect is mostly there when you drive between Austin and San Antonio. Dumb idea, and like it ever happen.
The thing I'm trying to understand is the four cities: Denver, Chicago, Sioux Falls, Detroit (I think I read). Why do they leave out Des Moines, Kansas City, Minneapolis, Topeka, Wichita, ect.? I don't get it. What does it matter where they lure the "talent?" Does that show that Omaha has better relationships with some cities, and not others, therefore they don't dare try to lure talent away from them?
I can get pushed out because I'm "too much" for some. Then, an observer of me comes suddenly swooping in to "fill my shoes." People are always more accepting of the new one, because their feathers aren't truly ruffled by them. (Yawn) I can count on it every time.
-
RockHarbor
- Planning Board
- Posts: 2083
- Joined: Wed Mar 23, 2005 7:42 am
- Location: Silver State
Re: Opt In
By the way, the two major cities of Nebraska may merge together quickly IF they ever build an international airport between the two, like Dallas-Fort Worth, Seattle-Tacoma, ect. Just a thought... (I couldn't simply add this to my prior comment, because of limited edits now -- apparently.)
I can get pushed out because I'm "too much" for some. Then, an observer of me comes suddenly swooping in to "fill my shoes." People are always more accepting of the new one, because their feathers aren't truly ruffled by them. (Yawn) I can count on it every time.
-
Omaha Cowboy
- The Don
- Posts: 1013719
- Joined: Wed Jan 07, 2004 5:31 am
- Location: West Omaha
Re: Opt In
From the W-H piece-RockHarbor wrote: Sat Jun 29, 2019 12:19 pm I like this!!
The thing I'm trying to understand is the four cities: Denver, Chicago, Sioux Falls, Detroit (I think I read). Why do they leave out Des Moines, Kansas City, Minneapolis, Topeka, Wichita, ect.? I don't get it.
“The four initial metro areas for the campaign were chosen in part because they’re in the region, have significant numbers of tech workers and offer pay that is similar to or less than what it is here. Kansas City will soon be added as a fifth market.”...
Ciao..LiO...Peace
Go Cowboys!
-
RockHarbor
- Planning Board
- Posts: 2083
- Joined: Wed Mar 23, 2005 7:42 am
- Location: Silver State
Re: Opt In
Thanks. Kansas City, eh? Omaha's friendly big sister?
Is that right to do, to specifically target cities to steal their workers, rather than just a "Jobs Are In Omaha! We need workers!" campaign that goes out across the Midwest and to every corner of the country? Other cities can't get upset over the second reasonable & fair action, but they can over the greedy-seeming, aggressive first action. Or, are cities completely out for themselves nowadays, and that attitude is totally understandable in today's market?
I just Omaha doesnt get "overboard aggressive" in luring people, where it is almost desperate-seeming and creepy, and backfires ultimately. ((That Tulsa campaign is almost creepy & weird to me. I dont look at the city better now, then I did before.)
Why dont these tech companies just train local people that are already there? Believe me, those jobs dont take 4 years of school to learn. Yet, the degree is a requirment still, and that system is in place.
"We Don'r Coast" and "It's Not For Everbody" are local slogans that I dont feel helps the situation either. Is that not defensive and insecure sounding? It's one thing to have healthy & balanced self-esteem as a Midwest city, it's another to have big pride in yourself, with purposefully closed eyes, so much so, that you blatanly disregard anybody or anything that comes along that can "burst your bubble." Sometimes, I get that slight impression of Omaha. I think because it has strong civic pride, many things that puts it on the map, its somehow on the national radar, and its name is out there several.places in lights, surprisingly more so than other average Midwest cities, that it has probably dealt with some jealousy from the "Wichitas" and "Topekas." So, it gets a "big head" in a way. But, then you sit yourself down in very urban, sophisticated, tower-clad, salty aired Seattle or San Francisco or New York, and think of Omaha, and it seems another world away, and it isnt anything to be really jealous of, imo.
Omaha has its limitations, like any place does -- and it shouldnt get defensive over them, imo. All the Midwest cities have faced the sting of that limitation, especially Chicago and Minneapolis, I think. How do you think the local growth & economic team in little, quiet, cold & frozen Bismark, ND feels? (Even the greatest cities have limitations. Seattle is very rainy. New York is too crowded. Dallas is too hot. Ect. Ect.)
Now, I love Omaha. I grew up in Omaha, I understand it, and I root for it. But, I post a thread of exciting, bustling, mind-bogggling Tokyo, Japan here, and nobody says a thing. That's Omaha for you. Yet, Kansas City's World of Fun or Nebraska City's Cider Days creates enthusiastic, perky conversation, though. (My point: It is not "international." Compare Dallas-FW and Houston. Coastal Houston is much more international. So, Omaha is correct: "We Dont Coast.") Omaha and Nebraska probably seem like some land-locked, noninternational "Red Football Jersey Convention" on the plains, in some ways. The Huskers are a "religion." That's just Nebraska for you. Not everybody is comfortable with that. I wouldnt want to see Nebraska lose that unique spirit, though.
Anyways, go Omaha-Lincoln.
Is that right to do, to specifically target cities to steal their workers, rather than just a "Jobs Are In Omaha! We need workers!" campaign that goes out across the Midwest and to every corner of the country? Other cities can't get upset over the second reasonable & fair action, but they can over the greedy-seeming, aggressive first action. Or, are cities completely out for themselves nowadays, and that attitude is totally understandable in today's market?
I just Omaha doesnt get "overboard aggressive" in luring people, where it is almost desperate-seeming and creepy, and backfires ultimately. ((That Tulsa campaign is almost creepy & weird to me. I dont look at the city better now, then I did before.)
Why dont these tech companies just train local people that are already there? Believe me, those jobs dont take 4 years of school to learn. Yet, the degree is a requirment still, and that system is in place.
"We Don'r Coast" and "It's Not For Everbody" are local slogans that I dont feel helps the situation either. Is that not defensive and insecure sounding? It's one thing to have healthy & balanced self-esteem as a Midwest city, it's another to have big pride in yourself, with purposefully closed eyes, so much so, that you blatanly disregard anybody or anything that comes along that can "burst your bubble." Sometimes, I get that slight impression of Omaha. I think because it has strong civic pride, many things that puts it on the map, its somehow on the national radar, and its name is out there several.places in lights, surprisingly more so than other average Midwest cities, that it has probably dealt with some jealousy from the "Wichitas" and "Topekas." So, it gets a "big head" in a way. But, then you sit yourself down in very urban, sophisticated, tower-clad, salty aired Seattle or San Francisco or New York, and think of Omaha, and it seems another world away, and it isnt anything to be really jealous of, imo.
Omaha has its limitations, like any place does -- and it shouldnt get defensive over them, imo. All the Midwest cities have faced the sting of that limitation, especially Chicago and Minneapolis, I think. How do you think the local growth & economic team in little, quiet, cold & frozen Bismark, ND feels? (Even the greatest cities have limitations. Seattle is very rainy. New York is too crowded. Dallas is too hot. Ect. Ect.)
Now, I love Omaha. I grew up in Omaha, I understand it, and I root for it. But, I post a thread of exciting, bustling, mind-bogggling Tokyo, Japan here, and nobody says a thing. That's Omaha for you. Yet, Kansas City's World of Fun or Nebraska City's Cider Days creates enthusiastic, perky conversation, though. (My point: It is not "international." Compare Dallas-FW and Houston. Coastal Houston is much more international. So, Omaha is correct: "We Dont Coast.") Omaha and Nebraska probably seem like some land-locked, noninternational "Red Football Jersey Convention" on the plains, in some ways. The Huskers are a "religion." That's just Nebraska for you. Not everybody is comfortable with that. I wouldnt want to see Nebraska lose that unique spirit, though.
Anyways, go Omaha-Lincoln.
I can get pushed out because I'm "too much" for some. Then, an observer of me comes suddenly swooping in to "fill my shoes." People are always more accepting of the new one, because their feathers aren't truly ruffled by them. (Yawn) I can count on it every time.
-
Coyote
- City Council
- Posts: 34366
- Joined: Tue Nov 18, 2003 11:18 am
- Location: Aksarben Village
Re: Opt In
[youtube]
[/youtube]
[/youtube]
-
RockHarbor
- Planning Board
- Posts: 2083
- Joined: Wed Mar 23, 2005 7:42 am
- Location: Silver State
Re: Opt In
BTW, I just came across this thread today. I haven't read it all, but many who relocated to Omaha painted Omaha in a pretty favorable light.
http://www.city-data.com/forum/omaha/27 ... omaha.html
I think the City Data forum is a good place to hear people's opinions, and learn what people feel about places. Then, the city knows what to maybe work on, ect.
http://www.city-data.com/forum/omaha/27 ... omaha.html
I think the City Data forum is a good place to hear people's opinions, and learn what people feel about places. Then, the city knows what to maybe work on, ect.
I can get pushed out because I'm "too much" for some. Then, an observer of me comes suddenly swooping in to "fill my shoes." People are always more accepting of the new one, because their feathers aren't truly ruffled by them. (Yawn) I can count on it every time.
-
EastCB
- Library Board
- Posts: 383
- Joined: Thu Oct 05, 2006 11:30 am
- Location: Council Bluffs
Re: Opt In
City Data forum is very biased.RockHarbor wrote: Sat Jun 29, 2019 7:05 pm BTW, I just came across this thread today. I haven't read it all, but many who relocated to Omaha painted Omaha in a pretty favorable light.
http://www.city-data.com/forum/omaha/27 ... omaha.html
I think the City Data forum is a good place to hear people's opinions, and learn what people feel about places. Then, the city knows what to maybe work on, ect.
-
RockHarbor
- Planning Board
- Posts: 2083
- Joined: Wed Mar 23, 2005 7:42 am
- Location: Silver State
Re: Opt In
Biased in what way? Comments come from all over the USA (maybe even world), from different walks of life. How could it possibly be biased?
There are mostly positive comments about Omaha. There are always gonna be some negative comments. I think there is some accuracy, though. I noticed a post about Albuquerque vs where I live now, and I think some comments were very accurate.
I take it all as a grain of salt, anyways. People like discussion. People like advice. Or, people like attention. They are excited by their job move to a new city, and start a post about it, inviting people in to share in their excitement.
Numbers & figures & statistics only matter so much, too. New York City and Chicago don't often show impressive growth numbers, but their skylines always have new buildings rising upward, with cranes here and there.
I can get pushed out because I'm "too much" for some. Then, an observer of me comes suddenly swooping in to "fill my shoes." People are always more accepting of the new one, because their feathers aren't truly ruffled by them. (Yawn) I can count on it every time.
-
RockHarbor
- Planning Board
- Posts: 2083
- Joined: Wed Mar 23, 2005 7:42 am
- Location: Silver State
Re: Opt In
By the way, I don't know if Omaha wants to strive to be more of a "global city" -- or not. (I know a coast & port nearby is a huge factor in that equation, but Chicago is technically an international Midwestern "global city" not on the ocean.) What are all the pros and cons of being an international city? I'm not sure.RockHarbor wrote: Sat Jun 29, 2019 4:27 pm Now, I love Omaha. I grew up in Omaha, I understand it, and I root for it. But, I post a thread of exciting, bustling, mind-bogggling Tokyo, Japan here, and nobody says a thing. That's Omaha for you. Yet, Kansas City's World of Fun or Nebraska City's Cider Days creates enthusiastic, perky conversation, though. (My point: It is not "international." Compare Dallas-FW and Houston. Coastal Houston is much more international. So, Omaha is correct: "We Dont Coast.")
I read research shows that Houston is just as much a global city now as New York and Tokyo. Houston and Dallas-Fort Worth are definitely different because of this factor, and you can learn that from talking to people that have lived & worked in both.
Just for something to think about. I don't know if that is something important for Omaha to strive for, or not.
https://www.houstonpublicmedia.org/arti ... obal-city/
https://www.smartcitiesdive.com/ex/sust ... ity/15661/
I can get pushed out because I'm "too much" for some. Then, an observer of me comes suddenly swooping in to "fill my shoes." People are always more accepting of the new one, because their feathers aren't truly ruffled by them. (Yawn) I can count on it every time.
-
Omaha Cowboy
- The Don
- Posts: 1013719
- Joined: Wed Jan 07, 2004 5:31 am
- Location: West Omaha
Re: Opt In
I agree. City Data is not a site I pay much attention to as it relates to Omaha. I believe on that site, Omaha is one of the most overlooked, minimized, and misrepresented metropolitan areas..EastCB wrote: Sat Jun 29, 2019 9:22 pmCity Data forum is very biased.RockHarbor wrote: Sat Jun 29, 2019 7:05 pm BTW, I just came across this thread today. I haven't read it all, but many who relocated to Omaha painted Omaha in a pretty favorable light.
http://www.city-data.com/forum/omaha/27 ... omaha.html
I think the City Data forum is a good place to hear people's opinions, and learn what people feel about places. Then, the city knows what to maybe work on, ect.
Most “opinions” on that site land on “the bigger the city/metro, the better”.. Check their city vs city forum and see there is a Greenville, SC vs Omaha thread and Greenville is winning that poll. Although Omaha has always been the more important and from a GDP standpoint, bigger economic powerhouse than Greenville could ever aspire to be. Here is a link to that frustrating thread-
http://www.city-data.com/forum/city-vs- ... e-s-c.html
I saw another recent poll pitting Omaha vs Richmond, VA and Richmond is the run away winner in that poll. Whatever..
The vast majority of opinions people on that site have of Omaha (if they’ve actually spent anytime here) are completely inaccurate and totally irrelevant imo. But to each their own..
In any case, back to the Opt In plan- I love the idea that we need to spread the word and not be apprehensive about getting the Omaha/Lincoln area out there and in the forefront. The old adage that Omaha was the nations “best kept secret” has done damage in trying to recruit people to move here. Now is the time to be boastful about our metro and communicate that Omaha/Lincoln plays second fiddle to no one..
Like I’ve stated before, I’m a big fan of this plan...
Ciao..LiO...Peace
Go Cowboys!
-
RockHarbor
- Planning Board
- Posts: 2083
- Joined: Wed Mar 23, 2005 7:42 am
- Location: Silver State
Re: Opt In
I clicked on the link to the survey between Omaha and Greenville, SC, to witness this "terribly biased site CITY-DATA.COM", and that survey has Omaha and Greenville basically tied (one point away from another), and I see plenty of great comments about Omaha.
(????) What are you worried about again? I still like the City-Data forum. I don't visit it that often, but I'm glad it is around. It fills a needed site space on the web.
I don't think people are "out to get Omaha" (or any city) on that site. People are just sharing their experiences and perceptions, and sharing their input when asked questions, about ANY CITY. Any town on there is drilled with some negativity and criticism. So what. That will always be there. So what if not everybody in the world loves Omaha -- or has something good to say. All these years, prior to the shinier Omaha we see today, Omaha continually grew as a city. Through colder winters, a terrible tornado, the more boring look it had, before it was a decent big size, before its name was really out there, through criticism, it grew and grew. So, what are people even worried about if some dumb survey on City-Data puts Greenville, SC one flippin' point ahead of Omaha? Nobody really pays that much attention to it all, at the end of the day, I don't think.
I doubt big cities like Houston, and "Hotlanta", are worried about any little comment on there that the "traffic is sooo bad."
(????) What are you worried about again? I still like the City-Data forum. I don't visit it that often, but I'm glad it is around. It fills a needed site space on the web.
I don't think people are "out to get Omaha" (or any city) on that site. People are just sharing their experiences and perceptions, and sharing their input when asked questions, about ANY CITY. Any town on there is drilled with some negativity and criticism. So what. That will always be there. So what if not everybody in the world loves Omaha -- or has something good to say. All these years, prior to the shinier Omaha we see today, Omaha continually grew as a city. Through colder winters, a terrible tornado, the more boring look it had, before it was a decent big size, before its name was really out there, through criticism, it grew and grew. So, what are people even worried about if some dumb survey on City-Data puts Greenville, SC one flippin' point ahead of Omaha? Nobody really pays that much attention to it all, at the end of the day, I don't think.
I doubt big cities like Houston, and "Hotlanta", are worried about any little comment on there that the "traffic is sooo bad."
I can get pushed out because I'm "too much" for some. Then, an observer of me comes suddenly swooping in to "fill my shoes." People are always more accepting of the new one, because their feathers aren't truly ruffled by them. (Yawn) I can count on it every time.
-
RockHarbor
- Planning Board
- Posts: 2083
- Joined: Wed Mar 23, 2005 7:42 am
- Location: Silver State
Re: Opt In
Also, keep in mind: Greenville and Richmond are located on the very urbanized East Coast, therefore they have more population out there to put in a vote for them on those surveys, over Omaha. They probably will ALWAYS win.
Personally, I'm surprised Greenville and Omaha are even being compared, because Greenville doesn't seem like much to me. But, I've only seen a picture. I haven't been there. It doesn't sound big. But, I"m sure it is bigger and more impressive than I think -- like Omaha is to people when they first visit it from a far. Now, I have that limited (and likely inaccurate) perception, and equally, we have to allow East Coast people to have their perceptions of Omaha.
That City-Data forum has been around for some 20 years now. Through all the nice remarks and mudslinging both going on, on daily basis on that site, Omaha has grown a lot in the last 20 years -- if not faster than it ever has. So, what does that tell you?
Personally, I'm surprised Greenville and Omaha are even being compared, because Greenville doesn't seem like much to me. But, I've only seen a picture. I haven't been there. It doesn't sound big. But, I"m sure it is bigger and more impressive than I think -- like Omaha is to people when they first visit it from a far. Now, I have that limited (and likely inaccurate) perception, and equally, we have to allow East Coast people to have their perceptions of Omaha.
That City-Data forum has been around for some 20 years now. Through all the nice remarks and mudslinging both going on, on daily basis on that site, Omaha has grown a lot in the last 20 years -- if not faster than it ever has. So, what does that tell you?
I can get pushed out because I'm "too much" for some. Then, an observer of me comes suddenly swooping in to "fill my shoes." People are always more accepting of the new one, because their feathers aren't truly ruffled by them. (Yawn) I can count on it every time.
-
Omaha Cowboy
- The Don
- Posts: 1013719
- Joined: Wed Jan 07, 2004 5:31 am
- Location: West Omaha
Re: Opt In
City Data is City Data. You have your opinion of it as do I..
What I am excited about is this collaborative Opt In plan. As the next months and several years go by, it’ll be interesting to see how it’s “measured” to see if the plan has made a difference and is successful. I can’t imagine it being a flop...
Ciao..LiO...Peace
What I am excited about is this collaborative Opt In plan. As the next months and several years go by, it’ll be interesting to see how it’s “measured” to see if the plan has made a difference and is successful. I can’t imagine it being a flop...
Ciao..LiO...Peace
Go Cowboys!
-
RockHarbor
- Planning Board
- Posts: 2083
- Joined: Wed Mar 23, 2005 7:42 am
- Location: Silver State
Re: Opt In
Yes, City Data is City Data. Skyscraperpage is Skyscraperpage. Skyscrapercity is Skyscrapercity. And, although I'm glad they are there, I'm glad I'm not involved in any of those three, like I used to be. Why? Because when I occasionally visit them, I see many of those same people are there, people that were there 20 years ago, spending much of their lives on a forum, hopping between the three, sitting on their tush, typing entries. No thanks to that (for me). I spend way too much time here, on this forum, as it is, and I'm gonna start to limit my time here. And, with that, I need to run...
I agree. I think this "OPT IN" is for Omaha and Lincoln is strategic, fun, and cool. It's funny when Lincoln is finally getting a new skyline-topper building, Omaha and Lincoln are ready to be marketed as "ONE powerhouse on the PLAINS." I just hope "Omaha - Fort Lincoln" keeps a good business relationship with those 5 cities mentioned.
I agree. I think this "OPT IN" is for Omaha and Lincoln is strategic, fun, and cool. It's funny when Lincoln is finally getting a new skyline-topper building, Omaha and Lincoln are ready to be marketed as "ONE powerhouse on the PLAINS." I just hope "Omaha - Fort Lincoln" keeps a good business relationship with those 5 cities mentioned.
I can get pushed out because I'm "too much" for some. Then, an observer of me comes suddenly swooping in to "fill my shoes." People are always more accepting of the new one, because their feathers aren't truly ruffled by them. (Yawn) I can count on it every time.
-
Omaha Cowboy
- The Don
- Posts: 1013719
- Joined: Wed Jan 07, 2004 5:31 am
- Location: West Omaha
Re: Opt In
Agree with both of your points there
..
I’ve always thought it was smart for Omaha/Lincoln to “join forces” if you will..
Omaha/Lincoln, only 45 minutes apart, basically function as a 1.4 million CSA.. even though the “experts” in Washington DC with the US Census don’t see it that way.. but from an economic powerhouse standpoint- it’s about time for this collab. I love seeing both chambers working together for the entire corridor. This can only achieve positive results. Hindsight is always 20/20, but my only regret is that this idea wasn’t hatched 20 years ago..
But better late than never!...
Ciao..LiO...Peace
I’ve always thought it was smart for Omaha/Lincoln to “join forces” if you will..
Omaha/Lincoln, only 45 minutes apart, basically function as a 1.4 million CSA.. even though the “experts” in Washington DC with the US Census don’t see it that way.. but from an economic powerhouse standpoint- it’s about time for this collab. I love seeing both chambers working together for the entire corridor. This can only achieve positive results. Hindsight is always 20/20, but my only regret is that this idea wasn’t hatched 20 years ago..
But better late than never!...
Ciao..LiO...Peace
Go Cowboys!
-
RockHarbor
- Planning Board
- Posts: 2083
- Joined: Wed Mar 23, 2005 7:42 am
- Location: Silver State
Re: Opt In
Well, I agree. It still hits me weird (in some moments) that Nebraska has a second largest, decent-sized city, just 45 (more precisely 46.83 miles) from Omaha, that is bigger than both Sioux Falls, SD and Topeka, KS.
Since they widened I-80 between the two, I've always liked driving between Omaha and Lincoln a lot more, feeling like they were more tied together, the nicer, wider freeway suggesting what's to come.
The "Twin Cities" logo rightfully belongs to Minneapolis-St Paul, because their downtowns are less than 10 miles apart on the same meandering river -- a Downtown Omaha to Boys Town Distance. (I thought they were 10 miles apart, but according to Google, they are 8.72 miles apart.)
Dallas and Fort Worth are 32.4 miles apart -- too distant from each other for a "Twin Cities" nickname. "Metroplex" works well.
Seattle and Tacoma are 24.97 miles apart by a straight line, but 33 miles apart by car. (I always thought Seattle and Tacoma were more like 40 miles apart.) "Sea-Tac" works well.
San Francisco and Oakland ("The Bay Area") and Tampa and St Petersburg (the "Tampa Bay Area") are seperated by bays and bridges.
What kind of convenient nickname could we/they come up for Omaha-Lincoln?
Since they widened I-80 between the two, I've always liked driving between Omaha and Lincoln a lot more, feeling like they were more tied together, the nicer, wider freeway suggesting what's to come.
The "Twin Cities" logo rightfully belongs to Minneapolis-St Paul, because their downtowns are less than 10 miles apart on the same meandering river -- a Downtown Omaha to Boys Town Distance. (I thought they were 10 miles apart, but according to Google, they are 8.72 miles apart.)
Dallas and Fort Worth are 32.4 miles apart -- too distant from each other for a "Twin Cities" nickname. "Metroplex" works well.
Seattle and Tacoma are 24.97 miles apart by a straight line, but 33 miles apart by car. (I always thought Seattle and Tacoma were more like 40 miles apart.) "Sea-Tac" works well.
San Francisco and Oakland ("The Bay Area") and Tampa and St Petersburg (the "Tampa Bay Area") are seperated by bays and bridges.
What kind of convenient nickname could we/they come up for Omaha-Lincoln?
I can get pushed out because I'm "too much" for some. Then, an observer of me comes suddenly swooping in to "fill my shoes." People are always more accepting of the new one, because their feathers aren't truly ruffled by them. (Yawn) I can count on it every time.
-
ita
- County Board
- Posts: 4746
- Joined: Thu Jul 12, 2018 4:11 pm
Re: Opt In
If anyone is interested, this is the new OptiN website:
https://www.optinomalnk.com/
Cursory glance, there's about 180 jobs posted already in a wide range of occupations and with several companies in the region.
https://www.optinomalnk.com/
Cursory glance, there's about 180 jobs posted already in a wide range of occupations and with several companies in the region.