Kiewit Luminarium (Riverfront Science Museum)
-
Bomaha
- Home Owners Association
- Posts: 233
- Joined: Sat Dec 04, 2004 1:36 pm
- Location: Chicago
Kiewit Luminarium (Riverfront Science Museum)
Kiewit Luminarium (Riverfront Science Museum)
I didn't know if this was already known, hence the rumor section.
The Discovery Pavilion that is eluded to in the Lewis & Clark portion of the riverfront revitalization is actually happening. Should go through the board and city council in September (At least that is what the timeline I saw shows).
$20-30 million
Didn't get a good look at when exactly construction would start, but expected completion is in 2023 sometime.
I didn't know if this was already known, hence the rumor section.
The Discovery Pavilion that is eluded to in the Lewis & Clark portion of the riverfront revitalization is actually happening. Should go through the board and city council in September (At least that is what the timeline I saw shows).
$20-30 million
Didn't get a good look at when exactly construction would start, but expected completion is in 2023 sometime.
-
Louie
- County Board
- Posts: 4936
- Joined: Fri Dec 23, 2011 4:23 pm
- Location: Dundee
Re: Riverfront "Science Museum"
Fingers crossed. Looking forward to seeing renderings.
-
omahahawk
- Parks & Recreation
- Posts: 1187
- Joined: Mon Dec 13, 2004 5:16 pm
Re: Riverfront "Science Museum"
I guess I have heard about the possibility of a science museum here but for some reason was also kind of under the impression that it might have been planned for a new Children's Museum. In any case a science museum here would be truly spectacular and a wonderful new addition to the city. Can't wait for more information on this.
-
ita
- County Board
- Posts: 4745
- Joined: Thu Jul 12, 2018 4:11 pm
Re: Riverfront "Science Museum"
Well, we can cross that off the list of the potential Heritage project. I am glad they are moving forward with it. However, I wonder how it will compete with the children's museum? Maybe more like ke Schramm Education Center that recently got a $7 million dollar renovation. Will it be more of a natural science museum aimed at a broader audience or directed more to children? If it's the latter, I feel bad that the children's museum isn't getting an upgrade, at least one that we know of. It's good fun and they have done a lot of updates to permanent exhibits, even since we moved here. But the building is remiscent to a warehouse with very little natural light, especially on the first floor. I look forward to seeing the concept for the discovery pavilion. I loved the green, rolling hills roof in the initial rendering and hope that sticks.
-
omahahawk
- Parks & Recreation
- Posts: 1187
- Joined: Mon Dec 13, 2004 5:16 pm
Re: Riverfront "Science Museum"
It would be great if it was a natural sciences museum patterned similar to the California Academy of Science, San Francisco. Great displays and a grass garden rooftop reminiscent of the one in the LC landing riverfront renderings.
https://www.calacademy.org/
https://www.calacademy.org/
-
Omahacritic
- Human Relations
- Posts: 814
- Joined: Thu Jul 18, 2019 11:10 pm
Re: Riverfront "Science Museum"
I think you are n right track. We don’t need children’s science. Something more like the World Fairs of old. Cover the higher levels.omahahawk wrote: Sat Aug 22, 2020 9:16 am It would be great if it was a natural sciences museum patterned similar to the California Academy of Science, San Francisco. Great displays and a grass garden rooftop reminiscent of the one in the LC landing riverfront renderings.
https://www.calacademy.org/
-
NEDodger
- Parks & Recreation
- Posts: 1356
- Joined: Sun Apr 13, 2014 1:19 am
Re: Riverfront "Science Museum"
Has anyone been to the combined Jazz and Negro League Museum in Kansas City? That’s what would have been my wish for the 100 million dollar facility, but with three museums in a complex on the Riverfront to draw people down there:
1. A science museum. The Cal Academy-type one would be amazing.
2. Move the Children’s Museum here, to a bigger and more modern space.
3. A College Baseball Hall of Fame.
This does two things. First, it draws different types of crowds so you maximize the number of people coming here. Second, it puts several tourist attractions in one area. That’s a big disadvantage Omaha has, in that a lot of our attractions are pretty spread out. Consolidate and you don’t have to jack around with worrying about transporting tourists. PLUS it’s more likely that they go to more things.
1. A science museum. The Cal Academy-type one would be amazing.
2. Move the Children’s Museum here, to a bigger and more modern space.
3. A College Baseball Hall of Fame.
This does two things. First, it draws different types of crowds so you maximize the number of people coming here. Second, it puts several tourist attractions in one area. That’s a big disadvantage Omaha has, in that a lot of our attractions are pretty spread out. Consolidate and you don’t have to jack around with worrying about transporting tourists. PLUS it’s more likely that they go to more things.
-
ita
- County Board
- Posts: 4745
- Joined: Thu Jul 12, 2018 4:11 pm
Re: Riverfront "Science Museum"
I really love me the idea of having consolidated museums. It's too bad this discovery pavilion seems like it would be a standalone feature. Also, that Cal Academy natural science museum is really cool. But much bigger than this pavilion would end up being or whatever the heritage project will be. That museum cost $500 million 20 years ago. I thought that this Daija River pavilion is pretty neat and seems to be closer in size and scope of the rendering of the LC discovery pavilion. https://www.floornature.com/blog/discov ... jia-14686/NEDodger wrote: Sat Aug 22, 2020 1:09 pm Has anyone been to the combined Jazz and Negro League Museum in Kansas City? That’s what would have been my wish for the 100 million dollar facility, but with three museums in a complex on the Riverfront to draw people down there:
1. A science museum. The Cal Academy-type one would be amazing.
2. Move the Children’s Museum here, to a bigger and more modern space.
3. A College Baseball Hall of Fame.
This does two things. First, it draws different types of crowds so you maximize the number of people coming here. Second, it puts several tourist attractions in one area. That’s a big disadvantage Omaha has, in that a lot of our attractions are pretty spread out. Consolidate and you don’t have to jack around with worrying about transporting tourists. PLUS it’s more likely that they go to more things.
-
omahahawk
- Parks & Recreation
- Posts: 1187
- Joined: Mon Dec 13, 2004 5:16 pm
Re: Riverfront "Science Museum"
Oh definitely, the Cal Academy is clearly way bigger in scope and cost than the discovery pavilion would be. It is a world class museum after all. I guess I'm just thinking it would be something to shoot for in terms of a smaller experience and overall vibe. They have great events and a great community outreach and there's no reason why this place shouldn't try in the same way on the scale that it has to work with. Whether it's this type of museum or a consolidated one, as long as it hits its marks it could be a great asset for the city.
-
ita
- County Board
- Posts: 4745
- Joined: Thu Jul 12, 2018 4:11 pm
Re: Riverfront "Science Museum"
For sure, I agree on all those points.omahahawk wrote: Sat Aug 22, 2020 5:09 pm Oh definitely, the Cal Academy is clearly way bigger in scope and cost than the discovery pavilion would be. It is a world class museum after all. I guess I'm just thinking it would be something to shoot for in terms of a smaller experience and overall vibe. They have great events and a great community outreach and there's no reason why this place shouldn't try in the same way on the scale that it has to work with. Whether it's this type of museum or a consolidated one, as long as it hits its marks it could be a great asset for the city.
-
Ben
- Parks & Recreation
- Posts: 1062
- Joined: Tue Nov 21, 2006 12:57 pm
- Location: Westside
Re: Riverfront "Science Museum"
In the Peter Kiewit stepping down as the Chairman of Heritage Services article in the OWH, they did make mention of a $20-30m project that was in the works without going into any additional detail. That would seem to line up with the rumors being discussed here... I know the wife and I have said several times that we'd love a true interactive science museum here, and would be a nice compliment to the younger focus of the Children's Museum.
-
ita
- County Board
- Posts: 4745
- Joined: Thu Jul 12, 2018 4:11 pm
Re: Riverfront "Science Museum"
Are you referring to the article about Walter Scott? That article hinted at a $100 million facility Heritage is working on. Here is a long discussion about that on the forum: viewtopic.php?f=2&t=20999&p=320169&hili ... on#p320169. Totally agree though; full on science museum for all audiences would be welcome.Ben wrote: Mon Aug 24, 2020 4:16 pm In the Peter Kiewit stepping down as the Chairman of Heritage Services article in the OWH, they did make mention of a $20-30m project that was in the works without going into any additional detail. That would seem to line up with the rumors being discussed here... I know the wife and I have said several times that we'd love a true interactive science museum here, and would be a nice compliment to the younger focus of the Children's Museum.
-
Omahacritic
- Human Relations
- Posts: 814
- Joined: Thu Jul 18, 2019 11:10 pm
Re: Riverfront "Science Museum"
Too late for that ship. But yes, museums slightly more centralized would nice. Balboa Park in San Diego is an excellent example. Golden Gate Park in San Francisco to a lesser extent.ita wrote: Sat Aug 22, 2020 2:41 pmI really love me the idea of having consolidated museums. It's too bad this discovery pavilion seems like it would be a standalone feature. Also, that Cal Academy natural science museum is really cool. But much bigger than this pavilion would end up being or whatever the heritage project will be. That museum cost $500 million 20 years ago. I thought that this Daija River pavilion is pretty neat and seems to be closer in size and scope of the rendering of the LC discovery pavilion. https://www.floornature.com/blog/discov ... jia-14686/NEDodger wrote: Sat Aug 22, 2020 1:09 pm Has anyone been to the combined Jazz and Negro League Museum in Kansas City? That’s what would have been my wish for the 100 million dollar facility, but with three museums in a complex on the Riverfront to draw people down there:
1. A science museum. The Cal Academy-type one would be amazing.
2. Move the Children’s Museum here, to a bigger and more modern space.
3. A College Baseball Hall of Fame.
This does two things. First, it draws different types of crowds so you maximize the number of people coming here. Second, it puts several tourist attractions in one area. That’s a big disadvantage Omaha has, in that a lot of our attractions are pretty spread out. Consolidate and you don’t have to jack around with worrying about transporting tourists. PLUS it’s more likely that they go to more things.
Not complaining about the current Omaha Museum buildings ... just bad luck they aren’t concentrated.
I often think ... Joslyn, Buffet, Scott, et al, ... they should pat to construct a modern Central High School on old Civic Auditorium) site ... then have Joslyn take over current building .... Just blue sky stuff.
-
Ben
- Parks & Recreation
- Posts: 1062
- Joined: Tue Nov 21, 2006 12:57 pm
- Location: Westside
Re: Riverfront "Science Museum"
Sorry, Yes, Walter Scott, not Peter Kiewit. Long day yesterday...ita wrote: Mon Aug 24, 2020 6:02 pmAre you referring to the article about Walter Scott? That article hinted at a $100 million facility Heritage is working on. Here is a long discussion about that on the forum: viewtopic.php?f=2&t=20999&p=320169&hili ... on#p320169. Totally agree though; full on science museum for all audiences would be welcome.Ben wrote: Mon Aug 24, 2020 4:16 pm In the Peter Kiewit stepping down as the Chairman of Heritage Services article in the OWH, they did make mention of a $20-30m project that was in the works without going into any additional detail. That would seem to line up with the rumors being discussed here... I know the wife and I have said several times that we'd love a true interactive science museum here, and would be a nice compliment to the younger focus of the Children's Museum.
-
Bomaha
- Home Owners Association
- Posts: 233
- Joined: Sat Dec 04, 2004 1:36 pm
- Location: Chicago
Re: Riverfront "Science Museum"
There's a part of me that is hoping those two projects are totally separate. The price tags obviously would say so. I could've sworn I only saw 20-30M on the riverfront project description page.
-
ita
- County Board
- Posts: 4745
- Joined: Thu Jul 12, 2018 4:11 pm
Re: Riverfront "Science Museum"
Two is better than one. I would be surprised if they are related. In any case, I am excited to see what they have in mind for the discovery pavilion at Lewis and Clark.Bomaha wrote: Wed Aug 26, 2020 5:47 am There's a part of me that is hoping those two projects are totally separate. The price tags obviously would say so. I could've sworn I only saw 20-30M on the riverfront project description page.
-
bldgengineer2015
- Home Owners Association
- Posts: 140
- Joined: Wed Jun 25, 2014 12:13 am
Re: Riverfront "Science Museum"
Time to move this out of the rumors. Also here is the $100million Heritage Services Project.
https://omaha.com/news/local/backers-ho ... -top-story
https://omaha.com/news/local/backers-ho ... -top-story
-
Taco
- Human Relations
- Posts: 514
- Joined: Mon Jul 27, 2015 10:34 am
Re: Riverfront "Science Museum"
The $100m includes a year of operating expenses and a future endowment. It doesn't fully explain the massive difference in price tags we have seen, so maybe when Kiewit got more involved, the riverfront group decided to aim bigger than 20-30 mil.
-
Greg S
- City Council
- Posts: 8988
- Joined: Thu Aug 26, 2004 10:46 am
Re: Riverfront "Science Museum"
Props to Bomaha on the scoop. Also glad it's going to be $100 million, that sounds like it will be quite the addition.
Greg
Greg
-
iamjacobm
- City Council
- Posts: 10812
- Joined: Sat Apr 10, 2010 6:52 am
- Location: Chicago
-
ita
- County Board
- Posts: 4745
- Joined: Thu Jul 12, 2018 4:11 pm
Re: Riverfront "Science Museum"
They only have a couple renderings, but I am really excited that they are putting money into a science museum. Per the article, the $100 million price tag is on top of the $300 million price tag for the Riverfront Redevelopment project and will include the first year's budget. Square footage is reported to be 82,000 between two levels (wiki puts the children's museum at 60,000, with 45,000 square feet for exhibit space, just for comparison).
Additionally, Heritage is contracting with San Francisco Exploratorium's consulting group, to give you an idea of what the exhibits will be like. A representative of the Exploratorium's team said that 2/3 of attendees are adults, so I hope our museum will have similar draws for adults and children alike. While architecturally 'boring' (I know some will complain that it's just another glass box; I personally like glass boxes), I am guessing they wanting to spend more on the programming to make it a new go-to place in Omaha and making one of the country's best. Just conjecture, but if the scaling is accurate in the exterior rendering, the building will have decent height (50~ feet, I'm guessing) for a two story. Last tidbit, Kiewit's name will be attached to museum.

Additionally, Heritage is contracting with San Francisco Exploratorium's consulting group, to give you an idea of what the exhibits will be like. A representative of the Exploratorium's team said that 2/3 of attendees are adults, so I hope our museum will have similar draws for adults and children alike. While architecturally 'boring' (I know some will complain that it's just another glass box; I personally like glass boxes), I am guessing they wanting to spend more on the programming to make it a new go-to place in Omaha and making one of the country's best. Just conjecture, but if the scaling is accurate in the exterior rendering, the building will have decent height (50~ feet, I'm guessing) for a two story. Last tidbit, Kiewit's name will be attached to museum.

Last edited by ita on Thu Aug 27, 2020 10:22 am, edited 1 time in total.
-
skinzfan23
- City Council
- Posts: 11628
- Joined: Mon Feb 09, 2004 11:26 am
- Location: Omaha/Bellevue
Re: Riverfront "Science Museum"
This is very exciting news. I do wish the building would be designed to set it apart from every other building being built these days, but I am excited either way. It will be great to see another addition to the downtown core with the completion date set of 2023, they are probably going to start working on it soon or next spring at the latest.
-
Omaha Cowboy
- The Don
- Posts: 1013719
- Joined: Wed Jan 07, 2004 5:31 am
- Location: West Omaha
Re: Riverfront "Science Museum"
Excellent news indeed!..
Now we know what the $100 million earmarked Heritage Foundation “mystery facility” is.. It figured to be a new, stand alone project..
More proof this Riverfront Plan, once completed, will be a game changer for Omaha and the downtown core
...
Ciao..LiO...Peace
Now we know what the $100 million earmarked Heritage Foundation “mystery facility” is.. It figured to be a new, stand alone project..
More proof this Riverfront Plan, once completed, will be a game changer for Omaha and the downtown core
Ciao..LiO...Peace
Go Cowboys!
-
ita
- County Board
- Posts: 4745
- Joined: Thu Jul 12, 2018 4:11 pm
Re: Riverfront "Science Museum"
One last important bit of information: ground breaking should occur this fall. Now if only we could get an update on the Joslyn Art Museum addition...
-
PotatoeEatsFish
- Human Relations
- Posts: 796
- Joined: Wed Jul 22, 2015 11:59 pm
Re: Riverfront "Science Museum"
This is very exciting because I know when I first joined the forum (around when Rick's was torn down) lots of members wanted a Science Museum.
This is the kind of attraction they needed to keep people coming back and hopefully bring some more retail/residential to the area.
This is the kind of attraction they needed to keep people coming back and hopefully bring some more retail/residential to the area.
#Save(TheBaseandSidesof)TheUglyGrainSilos2025
-
Omaha Cowboy
- The Don
- Posts: 1013719
- Joined: Wed Jan 07, 2004 5:31 am
- Location: West Omaha
Re: Riverfront "Science Museum"
Another tidbit to note.. From the W-H piece-
“The museum will bring the total value of the riverfront facelift to over $400 million, with nearly 90% of those dollars from the private sector.”..
Nearly $500 million in development and almost 90% of the costs covered from the private sector. This is what separates Omaha from other similarly sized metros- that Omaha can pull off such an important, game changing “facelift” to our downtown core..and have the taxpayer foot a minimum of the cost...
Ciao..LiO...Peace
“The museum will bring the total value of the riverfront facelift to over $400 million, with nearly 90% of those dollars from the private sector.”..
Nearly $500 million in development and almost 90% of the costs covered from the private sector. This is what separates Omaha from other similarly sized metros- that Omaha can pull off such an important, game changing “facelift” to our downtown core..and have the taxpayer foot a minimum of the cost...
Ciao..LiO...Peace
Go Cowboys!
-
Imissomaha
- New to the Neighborhood
- Posts: 26
- Joined: Sun Nov 22, 2015 10:53 pm
Re: Riverfront "Science Museum"
While they’re at it...
Please create an area that features:
1: The science center
2: The college World Series Hall of Fame… It has no business being in Lubbock, Texas.
3: World class railroad museum
If they are built within walking proximity of each other or share the same huge structure, tourists can buy a ticket to visit all three venues.I think this is a great way to get people off of interstate 80… Not just people coming in town for the college World Series.
Please create an area that features:
1: The science center
2: The college World Series Hall of Fame… It has no business being in Lubbock, Texas.
3: World class railroad museum
If they are built within walking proximity of each other or share the same huge structure, tourists can buy a ticket to visit all three venues.I think this is a great way to get people off of interstate 80… Not just people coming in town for the college World Series.
-
PotatoeEatsFish
- Human Relations
- Posts: 796
- Joined: Wed Jul 22, 2015 11:59 pm
Re: Riverfront "Science Museum"
I'm not sure how you could fit all 3 on the Riverfront though. I know the original plans called for apartments between the CHI Center and the Museum. Maybe they could incorporate the Baseball idea in Lot B.Imissomaha wrote: Thu Aug 27, 2020 2:16 pm While they’re at it...
Please create an area that features:
1: The science center
2: The college World Series Hall of Fame… It has no business being in Lubbock, Texas.
3: World class railroad museum
If they are built within walking proximity of each other or share the same huge structure, tourists can buy a ticket to visit all three venues.I think this is a great way to get people off of interstate 80… Not just people coming in town for the college World Series.
#Save(TheBaseandSidesof)TheUglyGrainSilos2025
-
skinzfan23
- City Council
- Posts: 11628
- Joined: Mon Feb 09, 2004 11:26 am
- Location: Omaha/Bellevue
Re: Riverfront "Science Museum"
It will be interesting to see if maybe some of those high-rise residences just south of 480 come to fruition with more to do down by the river. Hopefully they still also incorporate a beach area down there too.PotatoeEatsFish wrote: Thu Aug 27, 2020 2:00 pm This is very exciting because I know when I first joined the forum (around when Rick's was torn down) lots of members wanted a Science Museum.
This is the kind of attraction they needed to keep people coming back and hopefully bring some more retail/residential to the area.
-
Louie
- County Board
- Posts: 4936
- Joined: Fri Dec 23, 2011 4:23 pm
- Location: Dundee
Re: Riverfront "Science Museum"
Totally agree with the beach idea. Would be a great seasonal spot.skinzfan23 wrote: Thu Aug 27, 2020 3:47 pmIt will be interesting to see if maybe some of those high-rise residences just south of 480 come to fruition with more to do down by the river. Hopefully they still also incorporate a beach area down there too.PotatoeEatsFish wrote: Thu Aug 27, 2020 2:00 pm This is very exciting because I know when I first joined the forum (around when Rick's was torn down) lots of members wanted a Science Museum.
This is the kind of attraction they needed to keep people coming back and hopefully bring some more retail/residential to the area.
-
swgiust
- Library Board
- Posts: 308
- Joined: Tue Dec 28, 2010 10:17 am
- Location: Omaha Metro Area
Re: Riverfront "Science Museum"
I hope they also finish up on their plan to cover the train tracks east of where the Science Museum will be. Coming from the Capital district there is not really a clear shot to get there.
-
Omahacritic
- Human Relations
- Posts: 814
- Joined: Thu Jul 18, 2019 11:10 pm
Re: Riverfront "Science Museum"
You talking to me? Glass, just because it is glass, is not boring. Glass rectangles are boring. But this “concept art” is far to early to draw a judgement.ita wrote: Thu Aug 27, 2020 9:25 am They only have a couple renderings, but I am really excited that they are putting money into a science museum. Per the article, the $100 million price tag is on top of the $300 million price tag for the Riverfront Redevelopment project and will include the first year's budget. Square footage is reported to be 82,000 between two levels (wiki puts the children's museum at 60,000, with 45,000 square feet for exhibit space, just for comparison).
Additionally, Heritage is contracting with San Francisco Exploratorium's consulting group, to give you an idea of what the exhibits will be like. A representative of the Exploratorium's team said that 2/3 of attendees are adults, so I hope our museum will have similar draws for adults and children alike. While architecturally 'boring' (I know some will complain that it's just another glass box; I personally like glass boxes), I am guessing they wanting to spend more on the programming to make it a new go-to place in Omaha and making one of the country's best. Just conjecture, but if the scaling is accurate in the exterior rendering, the building will have decent height (50~ feet, I'm guessing) for a two story. Last tidbit, Kiewit's name will be attached to museum.
![]()
If they design the structure right, the design itself will be a lesson in physics, chemistry, metallurgy, and yes glass working. After all, isn’t the art of glass based on science?
From the curator perspective, the museum should serve as an incubator for Science and Technology and demonstrate Omaha, with a Nebraska’s universities, as an epicenter for innovation into mid-century. It should become the lure that gets a Jonas Salk, Elon Musk, or Edison type of person to locate here.
-
ita
- County Board
- Posts: 4745
- Joined: Thu Jul 12, 2018 4:11 pm
Re: Riverfront "Science Museum"
Haha, naw, I wasn't referring to you specifically. I don't keep track of specific member's architectural tastes. I just remember a couple times complaints about glass boxes. Maybe I am misremembering. I am excited to see this project completed, my kids (and me and my wife) are going to love it. They will run the elementary school age gamut by the time this is done, so I know they will love it. This is long unmet amenity for our metro.Omahacritic wrote: Thu Aug 27, 2020 7:38 pmYou talking to me? Glass, just because it is glass, is not boring. Glass rectangles are boring. But this “concept art” is far to early to draw a judgement.ita wrote: Thu Aug 27, 2020 9:25 am They only have a couple renderings, but I am really excited that they are putting money into a science museum. Per the article, the $100 million price tag is on top of the $300 million price tag for the Riverfront Redevelopment project and will include the first year's budget. Square footage is reported to be 82,000 between two levels (wiki puts the children's museum at 60,000, with 45,000 square feet for exhibit space, just for comparison).
Additionally, Heritage is contracting with San Francisco Exploratorium's consulting group, to give you an idea of what the exhibits will be like. A representative of the Exploratorium's team said that 2/3 of attendees are adults, so I hope our museum will have similar draws for adults and children alike. While architecturally 'boring' (I know some will complain that it's just another glass box; I personally like glass boxes), I am guessing they wanting to spend more on the programming to make it a new go-to place in Omaha and making one of the country's best. Just conjecture, but if the scaling is accurate in the exterior rendering, the building will have decent height (50~ feet, I'm guessing) for a two story. Last tidbit, Kiewit's name will be attached to museum.
![]()
If they design the structure right, the design itself will be a lesson in physics, chemistry, metallurgy, and yes glass working. After all, isn’t the art of glass based on science?
From the curator perspective, the museum should serve as an incubator for Science and Technology and demonstrate Omaha, with a Nebraska’s universities, as an epicenter for innovation into mid-century. It should become the lure that gets a Jonas Salk, Elon Musk, or Edison type of person to locate here.
-
Omahacritic
- Human Relations
- Posts: 814
- Joined: Thu Jul 18, 2019 11:10 pm
Re: Riverfront "Science Museum"
Just having some fun.
But I’m hoping this is mostly above the small kids. OG that they should be ignored completely.
Interesting factoid .. Tranquility Park at 120th Maple was originally conceived at time of Lunar landings. (Tranquility Park on Earth). It was meant to have tributes.
This place ... anticipate being back on the Moon about time it would open.
But I’m hoping this is mostly above the small kids. OG that they should be ignored completely.
Interesting factoid .. Tranquility Park at 120th Maple was originally conceived at time of Lunar landings. (Tranquility Park on Earth). It was meant to have tributes.
This place ... anticipate being back on the Moon about time it would open.
-
Omaha Cowboy
- The Don
- Posts: 1013719
- Joined: Wed Jan 07, 2004 5:31 am
- Location: West Omaha
Re: Riverfront "Science Museum"
There have been so many rumored considerations for Lot B over the last decade..This may not be a bad idea..PotatoeEatsFish wrote: Thu Aug 27, 2020 2:41 pmI'm not sure how you could fit all 3 on the Riverfront though. I know the original plans called for apartments between the CHI Center and the Museum. Maybe they could incorporate the Baseball idea in Lot B.Imissomaha wrote: Thu Aug 27, 2020 2:16 pm While they’re at it...
Please create an area that features:
1: The science center
2: The college World Series Hall of Fame… It has no business being in Lubbock, Texas.
3: World class railroad museum
If they are built within walking proximity of each other or share the same huge structure, tourists can buy a ticket to visit all three venues.I think this is a great way to get people off of interstate 80… Not just people coming in town for the college World Series.
In any case, this “Science Museum” is in a great location spot imo..and as the W-H article mentions- it fills a long needed void in the Omaha cultural amenities area...
Ciao..LiO...Peace
Go Cowboys!
-
ita
- County Board
- Posts: 4745
- Joined: Thu Jul 12, 2018 4:11 pm
Re: Riverfront "Science Museum"
I would agree; we already have a children's museum. Unless they intend this thing to replace our current children's museum, I would hope it would be more of a for-all-ages destination. Thankfully, with a science museum, it doesn't take much to have exhibits that are for-all-ages.Omahacritic wrote: Thu Aug 27, 2020 9:55 pm Just having some fun.
But I’m hoping this is mostly above the small kids. OG that they should be ignored completely.
Interesting factoid .. Tranquility Park at 120th Maple was originally conceived at time of Lunar landings. (Tranquility Park on Earth). It was meant to have tributes.
This place ... anticipate being back on the Moon about time it would open.
-
Athomsfere
- Planning Board
- Posts: 2300
- Joined: Mon Sep 14, 2015 10:03 pm
Re: Riverfront "Science Museum"
I've already seen the comments on the OWH about "How would we park there?". I think it's a great time to get some LR / Streetcar going in the area too. Make the Old Market, CWS, River Front car-light.
-
ita
- County Board
- Posts: 4745
- Joined: Thu Jul 12, 2018 4:11 pm
Re: Riverfront "Science Museum"
Obiviously those people either haven't been to Lewis and Clark before. It is currently 1/3 parking, 1/3 lawns and 1/3 sea of concrete. And it doesn't look like parking spaces are being reduced under the redevelopment plan. Plus isn't there public parking at the CHI center? I would definitely like to see any urban circulator that the folks at the chamber are working on to go by here.Athomsfere wrote: Fri Aug 28, 2020 9:34 am I've already seen the comments on the OWH about "How would we park there?". I think it's a great time to get some LR / Streetcar going in the area too. Make the Old Market, CWS, River Front car-light.
-
Omahacritic
- Human Relations
- Posts: 814
- Joined: Thu Jul 18, 2019 11:10 pm
Re: Riverfront "Science Museum"
Don’t count on public transport. Virus has set that back at least 5 years.ita wrote: Fri Aug 28, 2020 10:26 amObiviously those people either haven't been to Lewis and Clark before. It is currently 1/3 parking, 1/3 lawns and 1/3 sea of concrete. And it doesn't look like parking spaces are being reduced under the redevelopment plan. Plus isn't there public parking at the CHI center? I would definitely like to see any urban circulator that the folks at the chamber are working on to go by here.Athomsfere wrote: Fri Aug 28, 2020 9:34 am I've already seen the comments on the OWH about "How would we park there?". I think it's a great time to get some LR / Streetcar going in the area too. Make the Old Market, CWS, River Front car-light.
And don’t forget, newer pedestrian bridge on north end of CHI.
-
Big E
- City Council
- Posts: 8176
- Joined: Thu Jan 27, 2005 11:12 am
Re: Riverfront "Science Museum"
Omaha should change it's slogan from "Omaha: We Don't Coast" to "Omaha: Yea But What About Parking".Athomsfere wrote: Fri Aug 28, 2020 9:34 amI've already seen the comments on the OWH about "How would we park there?".
Stable genius.
