CVS, Walgreens and Rite Aid are closing thousands of stores. Here’s why
https://www.cnn.com/2023/10/16/business ... index.html
So, the chains drove all of the independent pharmacies out of business as they rapidly expanded over the last 40 years and now they're closing like crazy and creating pharmacy deserts.
It seems procrastinating adults swinging by Walgreens to buy an unpopular toy on the way to the birthday party aren't providing enough revenue. lol
I used to get my prescriptions at CVS. We go to Hy-Vee now. Mostly for the convenience. The farthest southwest chain pharmacy in the Omaha metro is probably the Walgreens at 180th & Q, so the Walgreens and CVSs of the world have never been particularly convenient for western Sarpy county.
Pharmacies Closing
-
Brad
- Photographer
- Posts: 1036613
- Joined: Sun Feb 29, 2004 12:03 am
- Location: Omaha, NE
Re: Pharmacies Closing
We finally gave up on Walgreens and switched to HyVee. My monthly RX ended up being cheaper at HyVee and you get the fuel points for it.

Omaha Skyline Photos, Omaha Aerial Photos, and More.
Website: www.bradwilliamsphotography.com
Facebook: www.facebook.com/bradwilliamsphotography
Twitter: www.twitter.com/bradwphoto
Instagram: www.instagram.com/bradwilliamsphotography
YouTube: www.youtube.com/@bradwilliamsphoto
-
jessep28
- Planning Board
- Posts: 2820
- Joined: Wed Sep 03, 2008 9:10 pm
- Location: Omaha Metro Area
Re: Pharmacies Closing
I switched to an indie pharmacy from Walgreens last year. The hours kind of stink with my work schedule, but the service is always super quick and helpful. Not waiting in line because the tech had to get a gallon of milk for someone in drive-thru is a plus.
Verbum Domini Manet in Aeternum
-
ChadJK
- Planning Board
- Posts: 2518
- Joined: Tue Feb 19, 2019 8:51 pm
Re: Pharmacies Closing
I know it's a service they offer and so the customers should be able to request it, but I always thought customers that asked the pharmacy techs to run and grab anything other than prescription meds were jerks. If the pharmacy staff has to leave the enclosed pharmacy area to fetch something for a customer in the drive-thru then that customer is a a$$. If it's not even remotely health related (OTC meds and whatnot) and is a grocery or snack item then that customer is an even bigger a$$. (I'll make an exception for handicapped customers.)jessep28 wrote: Thu Oct 19, 2023 1:03 pm Not waiting in line because the tech had to get a gallon of milk for someone in drive-thru is a plus.
-
damonhynes
- Parks & Recreation
- Posts: 1280
- Joined: Wed Aug 27, 2014 12:35 am
- Location: Montgomery County, Texas
Re: Pharmacies Closing
I was with CVS for years because my company insurance is with Aetna and I thought there'd be synergies due to CVS's ownership. I soon tired of the relentless emails/texts that could not be permanently turned off, not to mention their insistence on auto-filling my scrips.
My company is changing insurance providers, and my wife is on Medicare, so the problem solved itself.
My company is changing insurance providers, and my wife is on Medicare, so the problem solved itself.
-
jessep28
- Planning Board
- Posts: 2820
- Joined: Wed Sep 03, 2008 9:10 pm
- Location: Omaha Metro Area
Re: Pharmacies Closing
The nonstop robocalls wanting me to sign up for a refill syncing service was a large reason why I left Walgreens.damonhynes wrote: Thu Oct 19, 2023 2:49 pm I was with CVS for years because my company insurance is with Aetna and I thought there'd be synergies due to CVS's ownership. I soon tired of the relentless emails/texts that could not be permanently turned off, not to mention their insistence on auto-filling my scrips.
My company is changing insurance providers, and my wife is on Medicare, so the problem solved itself.
Verbum Domini Manet in Aeternum
-
ChadJK
- Planning Board
- Posts: 2518
- Joined: Tue Feb 19, 2019 8:51 pm
Re: Pharmacies Closing
CVS really pushes the auto-refilling and will enroll you in it without asking. After all, they're doing you a favor.
As with all things companies want you to do these days, it's easy to enroll but a pain in the arse to unenroll.
-
ChadJK
- Planning Board
- Posts: 2518
- Joined: Tue Feb 19, 2019 8:51 pm
Re: Pharmacies Closing
As mentioned in other threads and on Grow Omaha... Add the Walgreens at 24th & L to the list of closures.
-
Bob from Omaha
- Planning Board
- Posts: 3079
- Joined: Wed Sep 08, 2004 8:00 pm
- Location: Metro Detroit Michigan
Re: Pharmacies Closing
Within a 2 mile radius from us at least 3 RiteAids closed along with a CVS & a Wallgreens (though a new one opened six months later) Crazy
Bob from Omaha