I am kind of Suprised there was not a topic for Benson Park Plaza, except that it may have been built before the Fall of 2003 when eomaha came along
Benson Park Plaza wins more tax incentives
Benson Park Plaza has received Omaha City Council approval for $2.7 million in additional tax incentives to finish the project.
The commercial development had sued the City of Omaha over another project by a different developer at 72nd Street and Sorensen Parkway.
The city and developers reached a settlement. Part of the agreement was that if the city granted the additional financing, Benson Park Plaza would drop its legal claims
.
Last edited by Brad on Tue Aug 31, 2010 1:00 pm, edited 1 time in total.
I have noticed that they have been doing dirt work on the area just north of Home Depot on 72nd in the past month or so, but I dont think any signs up.
Omaha World Herald wrote:The $2.4 million project will add 33,000 square feet, including a 15,000-square-foot Hancock Fabrics store that is scheduled to open next spring, said Randy Lenhoff, Seldin's president and chief executive. Other local and national retailers are expected to fill out the space, he said. Other retailers include a Baker's, a Home Depot and six restaurants.
Benson Park Plaza is a redevelopment project that involved the demolition of an abandoned Kmart store and the reconstruction of the intersection of 72nd Street with Ames and Military Avenues. The project received $5.8 million in tax-increment financing.
Kinda disappointing if you ask me. You would think Seldin would try to come up with something better to compete with Sorensen Park, and the Crown Point Shops. There is so much opportunity there.
I noticed just this week that there is a coming soon sign for CiCis Pizza on the end of the building that Hancock Fabrics is in. I tried to see if this was listed anywhere else but no search brought it up anywhere.
I believe that Steve and Barry's had to close some of their stores. The last I knew the one on 84th St was still open but this one has just been sitting here empty.
ladyred wrote:I believe that Steve and Barry's had to close some of their stores. The last I knew the one on 84th St was still open but this one has just been sitting here empty.
Lavista has been closed a while, I'm just happy the finished the building in Benson Park Plaza...
ladyred wrote:I believe that Steve and Barry's had to close some of their stores. The last I knew the one on 84th St was still open but this one has just been sitting here empty.
www.omaha.com wrote:Goodwill Industries announced plans Wednesday to relocate its corporate headquarters to a new building in the Benson Park Plaza near 72nd Street and Ames Avenue.
www.omaha.com wrote:The new 70,000-square-foot corporate headquarters will sit on eight acres and house the administrative branches as well as numerous programs of Goodwill. A 25,000-square-foot retail and donation center also will be part of the new headquarters.
I was in the Goodwill store over by the VA Hospital last week and there was a sign posted there that they would be moving to Benson beginning September 5.
They had sold most of the merchandise out of that store and it was over half empty then. Seems weird to me they would open on Sunday though?
ladyred wrote:I was in the Goodwill store over by the VA Hospital last week and there was a sign posted there that they would be moving to Benson beginning September 5.
They had sold most of the merchandise out of that store and it was over half empty then. Seems weird to me they would open on Sunday though?
The new Goodwill store is immediately to the north of Home Depot, on 72nd & Ames. Not sure if it's open yet, but it has to be getting pretty close.
It is open now and very nice! It looks like they are going to open some type of internet/computer room as there is a glassed off room at the back with a sign that says Internet Cafe.
Excited to see that there is still some activity taking place and life is returning to the building. Still did not find anything on Google about what could be going here.