South Omaha building questions?

Downtown, Midtown, and all parts east of 72nd.
User avatar
Omababe
Planning Board
Posts: 2467
Joined: Thu Jul 05, 2007 9:47 am

South Omaha building questions?

Post by Omababe »

Ok, last Saturday was the first non-yucky day in a long time when I was in the city, and I spent a couple hours doing a photo walk-through of the South Omaha 24th. St. area.

I'm going through the photos now, going to do a blog thing on the area (yes, I'll post some of them here too if you want) and I admit I'm very weak on the history of the area. I really wish I knew more of the history of some of those buildings. The only building I know anything of the history of is the defunct Roseland Theater.

I very distinctly remember Philips (Phillips? Phillipps?) Department store, with a supermarket downstairs and kind of like a mini K-Mart upstairs, but when walking through I could not place where it is, and none of the extant buildings looked like it.

I seem to remember it was on the northeast corner of some intersection, but I may be mistaken.

I was talking to a girlfriend about it, and she says she thought it was on the block just south of Eddie's, but wasn't really sure. I did walk that entire block and there's a big gap for a parking lot in there, was that it?

I seem to recall it was more than one story above ground, with a lower level opening to a parking lot in the rear.

Anybody remember exactly where it was for sure?

Thanks. :)
User avatar
zedmib
Home Owners Association
Posts: 128
Joined: Tue Feb 10, 2004 7:50 am

South Omaha building questions?

Post by zedmib »

If it's the same place I'm thinking of it was on the east side of 24th street half way between L and Q. I can't remember the exact address but I think the tan stone facade is still there.
I remember when I was in cub scouts and boy scouts (mid 70's to early 80's) that was the place that had all the supplies, uniforms, badges, books etc.. . After they closed we went to Canfields for those items.
To Growth! When do we get a Supertall! :mrgreen:
Zed
ricko
Parks & Recreation
Posts: 1452
Joined: Mon Dec 11, 2006 9:54 pm

South Omaha building questions?

Post by ricko »

Phillips was next to the old Packer's National Bank building on the northeast corner of 24th and 'O', and directly across the street from the old Roseland Theater building (the name of the theater is still etched in stone on the top of the facade. The store took up about three different 'storefronts' due to expansions over the years. What's there now? I haven't been down that street in a while.
User avatar
Omababe
Planning Board
Posts: 2467
Joined: Thu Jul 05, 2007 9:47 am

South Omaha building questions?

Post by Omababe »

ricko wrote:Phillips was next to the old Packer's National Bank building on the northeast corner of 24th and 'O', and directly across the street from the old Roseland Theater building (the name of the theater is still etched in stone on the top of the facade. The store took up about three different 'storefronts' due to expansions over the years. What's there now? I haven't been down that street in a while.
Thanks, Ricko. :)

Here's the Packers National Bank building, now a law office:

Image

Directly north of the old bank building is this one: ...

Image

Which holds a Rent-A-Center, a State Probation Office, and ...

Image

... a tax service. I guess this is it, huh?

As I think back, I can't visualize the front of the building. The time I was there, we came in the back from a parking lot. I kind of thought it was on a corner, but I guess I was mistaken.

That would put Phillips north of Eddie's. I guess Jan was mistaken too. :) :)

Thanks again! :)
ricko
Parks & Recreation
Posts: 1452
Joined: Mon Dec 11, 2006 9:54 pm

South Omaha building questions?

Post by ricko »

Yup

That's it. Even though it's weathered a bit, the facade is the same. Thanks for the pix.
User avatar
Omababe
Planning Board
Posts: 2467
Joined: Thu Jul 05, 2007 9:47 am

South Omaha building questions?

Post by Omababe »

ricko wrote:That's it. Even though it's weathered a bit, the facade is the same. Thanks for the pix.
Thank YOU! :)

That one was stumping me. :)
mattg
New to the Neighborhood
Posts: 18
Joined: Mon Apr 02, 2007 12:35 am

South Omaha building questions?

Post by mattg »

Thankyou Omababe. The Packers Bank is where I got my first drivers license. So that would have been 84 or 85 I am guessing. I'll be interested in reading your blog. Thankyou Matt
ricko
Parks & Recreation
Posts: 1452
Joined: Mon Dec 11, 2006 9:54 pm

South Omaha building questions?

Post by ricko »

Actually, Matt, you most likely got your driver's license at the building directly catty-corner from the building shown above, on the southwest corner of the same intersection. This was the old City of South Omaha Courthouse and jail (any pix Omahababe?). 24th & 'O' was an interesting intersection back then---they used to perform public hangings there until the second decade of the 20th century. I also got my first license there in 19---uh, let's just say it was back in the dark ages.
User avatar
Omababe
Planning Board
Posts: 2467
Joined: Thu Jul 05, 2007 9:47 am

South Omaha building questions?

Post by Omababe »

ricko wrote:This was the old City of South Omaha Courthouse and jail (any pix Omahababe?).
If you mean the old South Omaha City Hall, yes, I have two shots I'm putting in the blog entry. If you REALLY wanna see them I'll post them. :)
they used to perform public hangings there until the second decade of the 20th century.
EEEWwwwww!
User avatar
Omababe
Planning Board
Posts: 2467
Joined: Thu Jul 05, 2007 9:47 am

Another South Omaha (possibly stupid) building question?

Post by Omababe »

What building is this?

Image

Yeah, I know I should know, but I'm not from the area. My friend is stumped too, even though her dentist used to be in the area. I think it may have been a post office. Anybody know for sure? What is it now?

TIA! :)
ricko
Parks & Recreation
Posts: 1452
Joined: Mon Dec 11, 2006 9:54 pm

South Omaha building questions?

Post by ricko »

That's the South Omaha post office---unless something else is there now.
User avatar
Omababe
Planning Board
Posts: 2467
Joined: Thu Jul 05, 2007 9:47 am

South Omaha building questions?

Post by Omababe »

ricko wrote:That's the South Omaha post office---unless something else is there now.
Thanks, that's what we both thought it was.

I guess I could have just grabbed the Phone Book! There it is, 4730 S. 24.

Thanks again. :)
User avatar
nebugeater
City Council
Posts: 110956
Joined: Wed Aug 04, 2004 6:07 pm
Location: Gretna NE

South Omaha building questions?

Post by nebugeater »

Post Office

I mailed a certified package from there last week.
For the record  NEBUGEATER does not equal BUGEATER    !!!!!!!
mattg
New to the Neighborhood
Posts: 18
Joined: Mon Apr 02, 2007 12:35 am

South Omaha building questions?

Post by mattg »

I think the year I got my license they may have leased the Packers Bank for tests. I am sure that is where I took my license and driving/vision test. Anyway I am glad that that is still standing.
User avatar
Brad
Photographer
Posts: 1036559
Joined: Sat Feb 28, 2004 6:03 pm
Location: Omaha, NE

South Omaha building questions?

Post by Brad »

'This is a Hoppin' Area:' Brothers moved business from downtown to south O

http://www.omaha.com/index.php?u_page=1 ... d=10571553
CHRISTINE LAUE WORLD-HERALD STAFF WRITER wrote:A year ago, the public saw the renovations under way at 4825 S. 25th St. at a reception kicking off Restore Omaha, a yearly conference organized by a group of volunteers who have a passion for preservation, restoration and pre-1950s houses.

On Friday, the Proutys play host to the annual event's kick-off reception again, except this time the public can see the finished product - or nearly finished, in some areas.

It's not just an example of an old-building rehab but also the trend of live-work spaces.

First-floor businesses operate between sky-blue floors and sunny yellow walls, while stairs cloaked in leopard-print carpeting lead up to John's 4,000-square-foot, black-painted condominium.
User avatar
thenewguy
County Board
Posts: 4333
Joined: Fri Oct 19, 2007 9:50 pm
Location: Council Bluffs

South Omaha building questions?

Post by thenewguy »

in the article, they said that they wanted to get away from the 'loud downtown nightlife'--hoppin as it gets downtown, i don't know that i'd so much consider it 'loud'.

We went to joe tess place on Friday (first time) and i will agree though, south Omaha was pretty hoppin. It was a little chilly and sort of windy, but people were out with their families walking from store to store none-the-less. I had never been in south Omaha at night like that (always during the day), and i was impressed by the number of people down there. If Omaha were ever to have ethnic villages (like a China-town, little Italy, etc), i'd say south Omaha would be much more prevalent.
Go Cubs Go