High gas prices good for DT?

Downtown, Midtown, and all parts east of 72nd.
DTO Luv
City Council
Posts: 9644
Joined: Sun Jun 06, 2004 4:22 pm

High gas prices good for DT?

Post by DTO Luv »

With gas prices going up and up, do you think it's likely that in we'll see more business heading towards DT/Midtown where they could be easier served by future mass transit?

I think the city should really take the reigns and start looking at giving incentives to employers to locate Downtown and not keep pushing west with sprawled to heck office parks.
DTO
10thstgoober
Home Owners Association
Posts: 148
Joined: Tue May 20, 2008 7:06 pm
Location: Dundee

High gas prices good for DT?

Post by 10thstgoober »

I agree. Here's an article talking about sprawl and its future:

http://www.courant.com/news/opinion/com ... 9068.story
Erik
Parks & Recreation
Posts: 1524
Joined: Wed Sep 08, 2004 12:55 am

Re: High gas prices good for DT?

Post by Erik »

DTO Luv wrote:With gas prices going up and up, do you think it's likely that in we'll see more business heading towards DT/Midtown where they could be easier served by future mass transit?

I think the city should really take the reigns and start looking at giving incentives to employers to locate Downtown and not keep pushing west with sprawled to heck office parks.

Oh yeah, I see condos and businesses for the most part expanding into DT, and I can actually see a few other downtowns emerging..

Gas prices will never go back down and for a long time people are going to need to use much less or none at all (none at all for me)..
User avatar
Omababe
Planning Board
Posts: 2467
Joined: Thu Jul 05, 2007 9:47 am

High gas prices good for DT?

Post by Omababe »

Higher gas prices are not good for anybody or anything! :(

Well, maybe to those short-sighted jerks trying to make a fast buck by "flipping futures", I will admit. :(
User avatar
Stargazer
County Board
Posts: 4182
Joined: Sat Dec 09, 2006 11:06 am
Location: Bennington

High gas prices good for DT?

Post by Stargazer »

I think it'll help downtown... but it'll help the older suburbs even more.
Shoot for the Moon... if you miss, you'll land among the stars.
User avatar
Big E
City Council
Posts: 8176
Joined: Thu Jan 27, 2005 11:12 am

High gas prices good for DT?

Post by Big E »

Stargazer wrote:I think it'll help downtown... but it'll help the older suburbs even more.
Wait until North and South O are the new hip neighborhoods...
Stable genius.
MTO
City Council
Posts: 7783
Joined: Wed Mar 09, 2005 11:49 am
Location: Dundee

High gas prices good for DT?

Post by MTO »

Yeah, so will you have a place in both then erik or just north or south side?
Erik
Parks & Recreation
Posts: 1524
Joined: Wed Sep 08, 2004 12:55 am

High gas prices good for DT?

Post by Erik »

MTO wrote:Yeah, so will you have a place in both then erik or just north or south side?

I'll probably just buy it all, then flip it!!!
DTO Luv
City Council
Posts: 9644
Joined: Sun Jun 06, 2004 4:22 pm

High gas prices good for DT?

Post by DTO Luv »

Different Eric. :)


Stargazer wrote:I think it'll help downtown... but it'll help the older suburbs even more.
True, but what good is living in Midtown if your job is in South Port or some far west Dodge business park?
DTO
User avatar
Big E
City Council
Posts: 8176
Joined: Thu Jan 27, 2005 11:12 am

High gas prices good for DT?

Post by Big E »

MTO wrote:Yeah, so will you have a place in both then erik or just north or south side?
Only if I'm commuting to Nebraska City and Missouri Valley by then.
Stable genius.