https://ndor.maps.arcgis.com/apps/MapTo ... 014d321507 (Page 15)NDOT wrote:This pilot project is tenatively scheduled to begin in spring 2021 and be completed in fall 2022. Harney St from Dewey Ave to 10th St will have lane restrictions due to construction of a two-way protected bike facility along the south side of the roadway.
Market-to-Midtown Bikeway
-
BRoss
- IT Director
- Posts: 10003397
- Joined: Sat Aug 05, 2006 12:39 am
- Location: West Central Omaha
Market-to-Midtown Bikeway
NDOT's Moving the Metro came out for 2021 and it lists the Harney Street Bike Way as occurring this year.
-
Taco
- Human Relations
- Posts: 514
- Joined: Mon Jul 27, 2015 3:34 pm
Re: Harney Street Bike Way
Happy to hear, but this project should not take 18 months. I was excited for the temporary project because it would create induced demand and demonstrate the need for this infrastructure, but now we will have to wait. Two steps forward, one step back.HR Paperstacks wrote: Thu Apr 01, 2021 12:53 am NDOT's Moving the Metro came out for 2021 and it lists the Harney Street Bike Way as occurring this year.
https://ndor.maps.arcgis.com/apps/MapTo ... 014d321507 (Page 15)NDOT wrote:This pilot project is tenatively scheduled to begin in spring 2021 and be completed in fall 2022. Harney St from Dewey Ave to 10th St will have lane restrictions due to construction of a two-way protected bike facility along the south side of the roadway.
-
ita
- County Board
- Posts: 4752
- Joined: Thu Jul 12, 2018 9:11 pm
Re: Harney Street Bike Way
Yeah, agreed. I am glad the testing phase is moving forward, but bummed it will take so long.Taco wrote: Thu Apr 01, 2021 4:59 pmHappy to hear, but this project should not take 18 months. I was excited for the temporary project because it would create induced demand and demonstrate the need for this infrastructure, but now we will have to wait. Two steps forward, one step back.HR Paperstacks wrote: Thu Apr 01, 2021 12:53 am NDOT's Moving the Metro came out for 2021 and it lists the Harney Street Bike Way as occurring this year.
https://ndor.maps.arcgis.com/apps/MapTo ... 014d321507 (Page 15)NDOT wrote:This pilot project is tenatively scheduled to begin in spring 2021 and be completed in fall 2022. Harney St from Dewey Ave to 10th St will have lane restrictions due to construction of a two-way protected bike facility along the south side of the roadway.
-
Omaha Cowboy
- The Don
- Posts: 1013720
- Joined: Wed Jan 07, 2004 11:31 am
- Location: West Omaha
Re: Harney Street Bike Way
From today’s W-H-
“Cyclists in Omaha could be pedaling down the city’s first protected bike lane by May.
A proposed pilot program calls for bike lane infrastructure to be installed along a stretch of Harney Street that would run from 10th Street in downtown Omaha to Turner Boulevard near 31st Street.
“Let’s get it in place, let’s see what we can learn from it so that if and when these permanent installations are made, we’ve got some best practices established,” Andersen said.
The council is scheduled to consider the pilot at its April 13 meeting. Construction of the lane could begin yet this month.“..
The complete W-H story link:
https://omaha.com/news/local/pilot-coul ... the-latest
Ciao..LiO...Peace
“Cyclists in Omaha could be pedaling down the city’s first protected bike lane by May.
A proposed pilot program calls for bike lane infrastructure to be installed along a stretch of Harney Street that would run from 10th Street in downtown Omaha to Turner Boulevard near 31st Street.
“Let’s get it in place, let’s see what we can learn from it so that if and when these permanent installations are made, we’ve got some best practices established,” Andersen said.
The council is scheduled to consider the pilot at its April 13 meeting. Construction of the lane could begin yet this month.“..
The complete W-H story link:
https://omaha.com/news/local/pilot-coul ... the-latest
Ciao..LiO...Peace
Go Cowboys!
-
Taco
- Human Relations
- Posts: 514
- Joined: Mon Jul 27, 2015 3:34 pm
Re: Harney Street Bike Way
This article was so frustrating to read. I can't believe they didn't mention how this exact same idea has been brought up both last year (along with a second lane by Creighton) and ~10 years ago. By ignoring the history of delays and obfuscation by the city it reads like a PR piece. If it can't even report local news right the OWH deserves its continued slide into irrelevancy.Omaha Cowboy wrote: Sun Apr 04, 2021 2:27 pm From today’s W-H-
“Cyclists in Omaha could be pedaling down the city’s first protected bike lane by May.
A proposed pilot program calls for bike lane infrastructure to be installed along a stretch of Harney Street that would run from 10th Street in downtown Omaha to Turner Boulevard near 31st Street.
“Let’s get it in place, let’s see what we can learn from it so that if and when these permanent installations are made, we’ve got some best practices established,” Andersen said.
The council is scheduled to consider the pilot at its April 13 meeting. Construction of the lane could begin yet this month.“..
The complete W-H story link:
https://omaha.com/news/local/pilot-coul ... the-latest
Ciao..LiO...Peace
-
Busguy2010
- City Council
- Posts: 7334
- Joined: Sun Apr 10, 2011 12:32 am
- Location: North Central Omaha
Re: Harney Street Bike Way
You'd have to be an avid and very in shape cyclist to even consider using this. Your average joe out for a stroll to get groceries will be huffing and puffing and walking most of the way, thus rendering the lane useless for that portion. Don't get me wrong, I love the idea, I just think the practicality of it is limited, at least on this street. It is practically all uphill from Downtown on out.
-
Taco
- Human Relations
- Posts: 514
- Joined: Mon Jul 27, 2015 3:34 pm
Re: Harney Street Bike Way
You're forgetting about e-bikes, scooters, etc. I am excited to see this come to fruition and think it will be surprisingly popular.Busguy2010 wrote: Sun Apr 04, 2021 7:36 pm You'd have to be an avid and very in shape cyclist to even consider using this. Your average joe out for a stroll to get groceries will be huffing and puffing and walking most of the way, thus rendering the lane useless for that portion. Don't get me wrong, I love the idea, I just think the practicality of it is limited, at least on this street. It is practically all uphill from Downtown on out.
Proper cycling infrastructure has shown to be like the field of dreams again and again..."if you build it..."
-
Busguy2010
- City Council
- Posts: 7334
- Joined: Sun Apr 10, 2011 12:32 am
- Location: North Central Omaha
Re: Harney Street Bike Way
Like I said, don't get me wrong. This is a limited-spending way of increasing bicycling infrastructure, and that is good. I'm just doubting its real practicality. Half the year it is too hot, half the year there is snow in the road. So you are really limited to maybe April-June, and September - some of November. And that is if you care to ride the hills... And aren't motorized vehicles prohibited on sidewalks and trails?
Again, I'm not against it.
Again, I'm not against it.
-
ita
- County Board
- Posts: 4752
- Joined: Thu Jul 12, 2018 9:11 pm
Re: Harney Street Bike Way
It has been done over and over again in other cities with bike infrastructure; provide than some kind of barrier against traffic, and bikers will notice and use it. It's true for other types of infrastructure projects. I will be not surprised that this pilot project becomes permanent because of induced demand.Taco wrote: Mon Apr 05, 2021 3:07 amYou're forgetting about e-bikes, scooters, etc. I am excited to see this come to fruition and think it will be surprisingly popular.Busguy2010 wrote: Sun Apr 04, 2021 7:36 pm You'd have to be an avid and very in shape cyclist to even consider using this. Your average joe out for a stroll to get groceries will be huffing and puffing and walking most of the way, thus rendering the lane useless for that portion. Don't get me wrong, I love the idea, I just think the practicality of it is limited, at least on this street. It is practically all uphill from Downtown on out.
Proper cycling infrastructure has shown to be like the field of dreams again and again..."if you build it..."
-
BRoss
- IT Director
- Posts: 10003397
- Joined: Sat Aug 05, 2006 12:39 am
- Location: West Central Omaha
-
Athomsfere
- Planning Board
- Posts: 2300
- Joined: Tue Sep 15, 2015 3:03 am
Re: Harney Street Bike Way
I do the bike things. To me there is no such thing as too hot. Only too cold. I know people who think only a real bike person rides year round.Busguy2010 wrote: Mon Apr 05, 2021 3:34 am Like I said, don't get me wrong. This is a limited-spending way of increasing bicycling infrastructure, and that is good. I'm just doubting its real practicality. Half the year it is too hot, half the year there is snow in the road. So you are really limited to maybe April-June, and September - some of November. And that is if you care to ride the hills... And aren't motorized vehicles prohibited on sidewalks and trails?
Again, I'm not against it.
The hills can be rough though, heading west. But 100% doable with a little practice.
-
Busguy2010
- City Council
- Posts: 7334
- Joined: Sun Apr 10, 2011 12:32 am
- Location: North Central Omaha
Re: Harney Street Bike Way
I've ridden my bike to work countless times, and it is just a 10 minute ride all downhill. If it is anything over 70 something, I am literally sweating though my clothes and am almost not decent enough to work at that point. I'm not out of shape at all either, but I am also not an extreme bicyclist.Athomsfere wrote: Wed Apr 21, 2021 1:56 pm I do the bike things. To me there is no such thing as too hot. Only too cold. I know people who think only a real bike person rides year round.
The hills can be rough though, heading west. But 100% doable with a little practice.
I couldn't imagine living at 13th & Harney and riding my bike to work at 36th & Harney or vice versa. That would be a really solid deal breaker for me. Those hills are no joke.
-
yard salad
- Home Owners Association
- Posts: 61
- Joined: Wed Nov 11, 2015 4:01 pm
- Location: midtown
Re: Harney Street Bike Way
I rode down Harney today and this project is well underway. Striping was nearly completed from 31st to about 26th. In my opinion, Harney is a good choice because even though it is hillier than Leavenworth/St Mary, it is much closer to downtown and Midtown Crossing. Having protection is in my opinion, worth the extra effort. That being said, I ride an e-bike and the hills are not an issue.
-
mistergutierrez
- Home Owners Association
- Posts: 143
- Joined: Wed Mar 27, 2013 2:28 am
- Location: Omaha Metro Area
Re: Harney Street Bike Way
Actually Harney is a very steady climb, inclination barely changes all way from 13th to 26th. Farnam, Saint Mary and Leavenworth have very steep sections. I think is the best route bike wise between DT and Midtown.
-
Athomsfere
- Planning Board
- Posts: 2300
- Joined: Tue Sep 15, 2015 3:03 am
Re: Harney Street Bike Way
I rode by this yesterday too (and it's on my route for the gym via bike).
I didn't see the protected lane, just paint. Is a barrier still coming?
I didn't see the protected lane, just paint. Is a barrier still coming?
-
mistergutierrez
- Home Owners Association
- Posts: 143
- Joined: Wed Mar 27, 2013 2:28 am
- Location: Omaha Metro Area
-
ita
- County Board
- Posts: 4752
- Joined: Thu Jul 12, 2018 9:11 pm
Re: Harney Street Bike Way
Thanks for the photo update. It looks good!mistergutierrez wrote: Wed Jul 14, 2021 3:59 pm They were adding barriers today starting on the west side. The whole project looks neat.
![]()
-
Busguy2010
- City Council
- Posts: 7334
- Joined: Sun Apr 10, 2011 12:32 am
- Location: North Central Omaha
Re: Harney Street Bike Way
This is actually a really progressive move for the city. Like I said, I'd probably never use it, but it is cool to see.
-
Busguy2010
- City Council
- Posts: 7334
- Joined: Sun Apr 10, 2011 12:32 am
- Location: North Central Omaha
Re: Harney Street Bike Way
Also, I just don't know, but is making Harney two way a part of this? It kinda looks like there's only room for one lane of traffic if they don't remove the parking on the north curb.
-
Cermak
- Planning Board
- Posts: 2334
- Joined: Thu Nov 29, 2018 7:02 pm
Re: Harney Street Bike Way
I saw this yesterday, I didn’t even know about this project. I was impressed with how it looks so far. I would like try it sometime. As long as there aren’t any real steep inclines it shouldn’t be a problem. If it has gradual inclines then most riders should be able to handle it. Good idea for Omaha. I would think someone who was involved in picking the street rode the route before it was picked.
-
yard salad
- Home Owners Association
- Posts: 61
- Joined: Wed Nov 11, 2015 4:01 pm
- Location: midtown
Re: Harney Street Bike Way
I don't think so. There are still two lanes of one-way traffic that go eastbound and two parking lanes, even with the bikeway.Busguy2010 wrote: Wed Jul 14, 2021 8:14 pm Also, I just don't know, but is making Harney two way a part of this? It kinda looks like there's only room for one lane of traffic if they don't remove the parking on the north curb.
I rode the finished section this morning going east. The paint is down and the bollards are up from 31st to 24th. It was really great to not have to worry about getting doored or about drivers wandering into my lane. I haven't tried riding it west, though, which seems tricky to me because of the lack of traffic lights.
-
mistergutierrez
- Home Owners Association
- Posts: 143
- Joined: Wed Mar 27, 2013 2:28 am
- Location: Omaha Metro Area
Re: Harney Street Bike Way
I rode both ways yesterday as I went to Wohlners for groceries. For westbound rides you can follow the pedestrian crossing lights. Pleasant experience, I felt safe. Also, reducing Harney to two lanes decreases the speed of cars, which helps the feeling of safety.yard salad wrote: Tue Jul 20, 2021 2:43 pmI don't think so. There are still two lanes of one-way traffic that go eastbound and two parking lanes, even with the bikeway.Busguy2010 wrote: Wed Jul 14, 2021 8:14 pm Also, I just don't know, but is making Harney two way a part of this? It kinda looks like there's only room for one lane of traffic if they don't remove the parking on the north curb.
I rode the finished section this morning going east. The paint is down and the bollards are up from 31st to 24th. It was really great to not have to worry about getting doored or about drivers wandering into my lane. I haven't tried riding it west, though, which seems tricky to me because of the lack of traffic lights.
Omaha has four handicaps for using bikes for commuting purposes:
1) The hills
2) The weather
3) The urbanism
4) The lack of infrastructure
It is nice to see the city trying to fix the issues that can be fixed.
A similar project along 24th would be great too.
-
yard salad
- Home Owners Association
- Posts: 61
- Joined: Wed Nov 11, 2015 4:01 pm
- Location: midtown
Re: Harney Street Bike Way
The bike lane is open all the way to 15th street with a protected detour around the Justice Center construction. The opening ceremony was held the other day too.
-
Athomsfere
- Planning Board
- Posts: 2300
- Joined: Tue Sep 15, 2015 3:03 am
Re: Harney Street Bike Way
I biked the extra block or two to take this the other day.
Man, this lane is amazing. 9/10 really. As the potholes and storm drains on Harney are still there and worse on a bike stuck in the gutter. But otherwise, loved it!
Man, this lane is amazing. 9/10 really. As the potholes and storm drains on Harney are still there and worse on a bike stuck in the gutter. But otherwise, loved it!
-
Brad
- Photographer
- Posts: 1036609
- Joined: Sun Feb 29, 2004 12:03 am
- Location: Omaha, NE
Re: Harney Street Bike Way
Looks great and I can't wait to ride it soon. Curious though, what happens to all those cones (Or whatever they are called) when they plow the snow?

Omaha Skyline Photos, Omaha Aerial Photos, and More.
Website: www.bradwilliamsphotography.com
Facebook: www.facebook.com/bradwilliamsphotography
Twitter: www.twitter.com/bradwphoto
Instagram: www.instagram.com/bradwilliamsphotography
YouTube: www.youtube.com/@bradwilliamsphoto
-
yard salad
- Home Owners Association
- Posts: 61
- Joined: Wed Nov 11, 2015 4:01 pm
- Location: midtown
Re: Harney Street Bike Way
I took it today from Turner to 14th Street today. There are indeed some serious potholes, hopefully they will patch those up. But otherwise it's a great system and actually made the commute relatively peaceful.Athomsfere wrote: Fri Jul 30, 2021 1:21 pm I biked the extra block or two to take this the other day.
Man, this lane is amazing. 9/10 really. As the potholes and storm drains on Harney are still there and worse on a bike stuck in the gutter. But otherwise, loved it!
There are also a few strategically placed counters (air hoses across the lanes), so they are tracking the usage of the bikeway.
-
Athomsfere
- Planning Board
- Posts: 2300
- Joined: Tue Sep 15, 2015 3:03 am
Re: Harney Street Bike Way
Yes, I made sure to hit those both ways.yard salad wrote: Fri Jul 30, 2021 2:43 pmI took it today from Turner to 14th Street today. There are indeed some serious potholes, hopefully they will patch those up. But otherwise it's a great system and actually made the commute relatively peaceful.Athomsfere wrote: Fri Jul 30, 2021 1:21 pm I biked the extra block or two to take this the other day.
Man, this lane is amazing. 9/10 really. As the potholes and storm drains on Harney are still there and worse on a bike stuck in the gutter. But otherwise, loved it!
There are also a few strategically placed counters (air hoses across the lanes), so they are tracking the usage of the bikeway.
And it was very nice to not have to watch as much traffic.
-
yard salad
- Home Owners Association
- Posts: 61
- Joined: Wed Nov 11, 2015 4:01 pm
- Location: midtown
Re: Harney Street Bike Way
The worst of the potholes have been filled. There are still some nasty drainage grates that will snag you if you're not careful.
I've been cycling this to work and back twice a day for the last several days, and I'm very happy with it. I used to take the bicycle gutters on Leavenworth/St. Mary. The bikeway is much calmer and has a longer stretch without traffic lights. It's also more shaded from trees and tall buildings, which is an unexpectedly nice benefit.
Harney is, like another poster mentioned, still hilly but much more gradual than Leavenworth and really takes the bite out of the westbound climb from downtown.
I've been cycling this to work and back twice a day for the last several days, and I'm very happy with it. I used to take the bicycle gutters on Leavenworth/St. Mary. The bikeway is much calmer and has a longer stretch without traffic lights. It's also more shaded from trees and tall buildings, which is an unexpectedly nice benefit.
Harney is, like another poster mentioned, still hilly but much more gradual than Leavenworth and really takes the bite out of the westbound climb from downtown.
-
Brad
- Photographer
- Posts: 1036609
- Joined: Sun Feb 29, 2004 12:03 am
- Location: Omaha, NE
Re: Harney Street Bike Way
Tuesday night I rode the Bike Way from 10th to Midtown and Back. It was great. Seems longer until you actually ride it.
On the next Grow Omaha Construction Update (coming out any time now), there will be a time lapse from 10th to Midtown town and Back from my handle bars.
On the next Grow Omaha Construction Update (coming out any time now), there will be a time lapse from 10th to Midtown town and Back from my handle bars.

Omaha Skyline Photos, Omaha Aerial Photos, and More.
Website: www.bradwilliamsphotography.com
Facebook: www.facebook.com/bradwilliamsphotography
Twitter: www.twitter.com/bradwphoto
Instagram: www.instagram.com/bradwilliamsphotography
YouTube: www.youtube.com/@bradwilliamsphoto
-
buildomaha
- Human Relations
- Posts: 700
- Joined: Wed Jun 01, 2016 12:06 am
Re: Harney Street Bike Way
In regards to the hills that worry many:mistergutierrez wrote: Tue Jul 20, 2021 3:34 pmOmaha has four handicaps for using bikes for commuting purposes:yard salad wrote: Tue Jul 20, 2021 2:43 pmI don't think so. There are still two lanes of one-way traffic that go eastbound and two parking lanes, even with the bikeway.Busguy2010 wrote: Wed Jul 14, 2021 8:14 pm Also, I just don't know, but is making Harney two way a part of this? It kinda looks like there's only room for one lane of traffic if they don't remove the parking on the north curb.
I rode the finished section this morning going east. The paint is down and the bollards are up from 31st to 24th. It was really great to not have to worry about getting doored or about drivers wandering into my lane. I haven't tried riding it west, though, which seems tricky to me because of the lack of traffic lights.
1) The hills
2) The weather
3) The urbanism
4) The lack of infrastructure
It is nice to see the city trying to fix the issues that can be fixed.
A similar project along 24th would be great too.
E-bikes
They will be transformative for a city like Omaha.
#gohawks
-
ita
- County Board
- Posts: 4752
- Joined: Thu Jul 12, 2018 9:11 pm
Re: Harney Street Bike Way
https://m.facebook.com/ModeShiftOmaha/p ... &source=48
Advocates were able to get an amendment in the CIP to include additional funds, when there were none, for bike and pedestrian infrastructure. There is now money set aside to make this permanent.
Advocates were able to get an amendment in the CIP to include additional funds, when there were none, for bike and pedestrian infrastructure. There is now money set aside to make this permanent.
-
BRoss
- IT Director
- Posts: 10003397
- Joined: Sat Aug 05, 2006 12:39 am
- Location: West Central Omaha
Re: Harney Street Bike Way
I hope they pass those amendments. This is a pretty cool project and I wish I had it when I lived down there.
-
Athomsfere
- Planning Board
- Posts: 2300
- Joined: Tue Sep 15, 2015 3:03 am
Re: Harney Street Bike Way
Ugh, I sort of hope e bikes go away.buildomaha wrote: Fri Aug 13, 2021 12:55 amIn regards to the hills that worry many:mistergutierrez wrote: Tue Jul 20, 2021 3:34 pmOmaha has four handicaps for using bikes for commuting purposes:yard salad wrote: Tue Jul 20, 2021 2:43 pmI don't think so. There are still two lanes of one-way traffic that go eastbound and two parking lanes, even with the bikeway.Busguy2010 wrote: Wed Jul 14, 2021 8:14 pm Also, I just don't know, but is making Harney two way a part of this? It kinda looks like there's only room for one lane of traffic if they don't remove the parking on the north curb.
I rode the finished section this morning going east. The paint is down and the bollards are up from 31st to 24th. It was really great to not have to worry about getting doored or about drivers wandering into my lane. I haven't tried riding it west, though, which seems tricky to me because of the lack of traffic lights.
1) The hills
2) The weather
3) The urbanism
4) The lack of infrastructure
It is nice to see the city trying to fix the issues that can be fixed.
A similar project along 24th would be great too.
E-bikes
They will be transformative for a city like Omaha.
Our hills really aren't THAT bad.
-
buildomaha
- Human Relations
- Posts: 700
- Joined: Wed Jun 01, 2016 12:06 am
Re: Harney Street Bike Way
They aren’t that bad, but Americans are lazy. In order for biking to become mainstream it has to be as effortless as possible.Athomsfere wrote: Mon Aug 16, 2021 6:08 pmUgh, I sort of hope e bikes go away.buildomaha wrote: Fri Aug 13, 2021 12:55 amIn regards to the hills that worry many:mistergutierrez wrote: Tue Jul 20, 2021 3:34 pmOmaha has four handicaps for using bikes for commuting purposes:yard salad wrote: Tue Jul 20, 2021 2:43 pmI don't think so. There are still two lanes of one-way traffic that go eastbound and two parking lanes, even with the bikeway.Busguy2010 wrote: Wed Jul 14, 2021 8:14 pm Also, I just don't know, but is making Harney two way a part of this? It kinda looks like there's only room for one lane of traffic if they don't remove the parking on the north curb.
I rode the finished section this morning going east. The paint is down and the bollards are up from 31st to 24th. It was really great to not have to worry about getting doored or about drivers wandering into my lane. I haven't tried riding it west, though, which seems tricky to me because of the lack of traffic lights.
1) The hills
2) The weather
3) The urbanism
4) The lack of infrastructure
It is nice to see the city trying to fix the issues that can be fixed.
A similar project along 24th would be great too.
E-bikes
They will be transformative for a city like Omaha.
Our hills really aren't THAT bad.
I personally love using e-bikes. They make it possible for anyone to bike to work without sweating all the way through your outfit!
#gohawks
-
Athomsfere
- Planning Board
- Posts: 2300
- Joined: Tue Sep 15, 2015 3:03 am
Re: Harney Street Bike Way
I don't generally mind them, on for example the bike paths. But I fear this protected lane is too narrow for a 30+ mph e bike going up a hill. against traffic.buildomaha wrote: Mon Aug 16, 2021 6:24 pm They aren’t that bad, but Americans are lazy. In order for biking to become mainstream it has to be as effortless as possible.
I personally love using e-bikes. They make it possible for anyone to bike to work without sweating all the way through your outfit!
I haven't run into it yet, but I'd prefer the bike lanes (vs bike paths) stay non-motorized. Maybe I'll change my tune eventually too.
-
ita
- County Board
- Posts: 4752
- Joined: Thu Jul 12, 2018 9:11 pm
Re: Harney Street Bike Way
Your concern is valid. Several states have adopted a class system for e-bikes, including Nebraska. It seems like we are safe from 30+ mph e-bikes taking over as long as there is some enforcement on trails and bike lanes. My half butt internet research tells me that even in progressive California, bike lanes are limited to Class 1 and 2 e-bikes, ones that are motor assisted up to 20 mph. Class 3, which is motor assisted up to 28 mph are prohibited on bike lanes unless local rules allow otherwise. In Nebraska, e-bikes are any motor assisted bicycles up to 20 mph and they are allowed anywhere a bicycle is. Based on my 6th grade level research, anything that is assisted above 20 mph would not be consider an e-bike and therefore would not be allowed in a bike lane (or trail, for that matter).Athomsfere wrote: Mon Aug 16, 2021 6:34 pmI don't generally mind them, on for example the bike paths. But I fear this protected lane is too narrow for a 30+ mph e bike going up a hill. against traffic.buildomaha wrote: Mon Aug 16, 2021 6:24 pm They aren’t that bad, but Americans are lazy. In order for biking to become mainstream it has to be as effortless as possible.
I personally love using e-bikes. They make it possible for anyone to bike to work without sweating all the way through your outfit!
I haven't run into it yet, but I'd prefer the bike lanes (vs bike paths) stay non-motorized. Maybe I'll change my tune eventually too.
-
Athomsfere
- Planning Board
- Posts: 2300
- Joined: Tue Sep 15, 2015 3:03 am
Re: Harney Street Bike Way
I've already seen people try to restrict ebikes from the Omaha trails, and I don't like it at all. For one, I can hit 28mph on my bike on the keystone. (GPS has confirmed) but there is also plenty of visibility and room to slow down, move over etc..ita wrote: Mon Aug 16, 2021 6:48 pmYour concern is valid. Several states have adopted a class system for e-bikes, including Nebraska. It seems like we are safe from 30+ mph e-bikes taking over as long as there is some enforcement on trails and bike lanes. My half butt internet research tells me that even in progressive California, bike lanes are limited to Class 1 and 2 e-bikes, ones that are motor assisted up to 20 mph. Class 3, which is motor assisted up to 28 mph are prohibited on bike lanes unless local rules allow otherwise. In Nebraska, e-bikes are any motor assisted bicycles up to 20 mph and they are allowed anywhere a bicycle is. Based on my 6th grade level research, anything that is assisted above 20 mph would not be consider an e-bike and therefore would not be allowed in a bike lane (or trail, for that matter).Athomsfere wrote: Mon Aug 16, 2021 6:34 pmI don't generally mind them, on for example the bike paths. But I fear this protected lane is too narrow for a 30+ mph e bike going up a hill. against traffic.buildomaha wrote: Mon Aug 16, 2021 6:24 pm They aren’t that bad, but Americans are lazy. In order for biking to become mainstream it has to be as effortless as possible.
I personally love using e-bikes. They make it possible for anyone to bike to work without sweating all the way through your outfit!
I haven't run into it yet, but I'd prefer the bike lanes (vs bike paths) stay non-motorized. Maybe I'll change my tune eventually too.
So the more I think on this, the more I think the best solution is to take another lane / the parking spots for the bike lanes and give ebikes and bikes the safer area to cycle. But, being Omaha I doubt this could actually happen.
-
buildomaha
- Human Relations
- Posts: 700
- Joined: Wed Jun 01, 2016 12:06 am
Re: Harney Street Bike Way
The only e bikes I have used must have been class 1. Seems that keeping only low-power e bikes is a great solution!
#gohawks
-
Garrett
- County Board
- Posts: 4709
- Joined: Thu Nov 27, 2008 12:29 am
- Location: New York City
Re: Harney Street Bike Way
In NYC, the Citi Bike system has a bunch of pedal assisted e-bikes which I feel like are a good compromise. I use them most of the time when I'm going places and don't want to sweat and be out of breath when I get there.
OMA-->CHI-->NYC
-
Busguy2010
- City Council
- Posts: 7334
- Joined: Sun Apr 10, 2011 12:32 am
- Location: North Central Omaha
Re: Harney Street Bike Way
I commend all who have used this route, in this heat so far. I don't have any reason to use it, and probably never will, but if I were to, I'd imagine I would prefer to walk the hills, or just walk the whole distance, which is probably why it isn't my avenue. I'd argue that the hills in Omaha are that bad, which is why unless you are an avid bicycle commuter -which some of you seem to be- you probably wouldn't frequently use this thing. Which brings me to the E-bike thing... I would have no issue with E-bikes if it is not rented, and they couldn't exceed a certain speed. Brings me back to my original point, if you're worried about E-bikes zipping by you going up a hill, then the hills are that bad. If you have to stand up, full out pedal up a hill to maintain speed, then it is a considerable hill. I mean, I'm just trying to get to work, not use my commute as a cross-fit workout.
If I ever do use it just out of curiosity, it will be around the first freeze ~ first or second week of October when its like 50-60 degrees, or at night it'll get down to 30's, before the snow falls too. It would be a very narrow window of use for me. I think October- the first sizeable snow would be the only usable time, so maybe if lucky, October 1st - mid November.
If I ever do use it just out of curiosity, it will be around the first freeze ~ first or second week of October when its like 50-60 degrees, or at night it'll get down to 30's, before the snow falls too. It would be a very narrow window of use for me. I think October- the first sizeable snow would be the only usable time, so maybe if lucky, October 1st - mid November.
