Wrestling

Metro area and region sports discussion
User avatar
Coyote
City Council
Posts: 34366
Joined: Tue Nov 18, 2003 5:18 pm
Yahoo Messenger: jestcoyote
Location: Aksarben Village

Wrestling

Post by Coyote »


Olympian and coach opening new wrestling space in Council Bluffs




COUNCIL BLUFFS, Iowa (WOWT) - Wrestlers from the Omaha metro, and from all over the country, will have a new world-class space to train in Council Bluffs. The coach is even an Olympian teaching future Olympic athletes. Georgi Ivanov, a Lewis Central graduate, has been a wrestler almost his whole life. “I wrestled since I was three and I retired from competitive wrestling when I was 26 at the Olympics in Rio,” Georgi said. “That’s the pinnacle of our sport and I actually had t-shirts that said ‘life-long mission.’ So that’s been my goal ever since I was younger and I was very fortunate to achieve that.”

And now he’s helping other wrestlers achieve their Olympic dreams. Georgi and his dad Ivan are both coaches with The Best Wrestler and soon they’ll be moving into a space at the Iowa West Field House.
They’ve already trained eight Olympic athletes. “We’ve had teams from Alaska, California, Montana, Kansas, Missouri, all over come train with us here. So this is gonna become a hub for wrestling.” The Best Wrestler is partnering with the Iowa West Foundation to bring the facility to life.