Valentine's Merritt Reservoir designated International Dark Sky Park

Grand Island, Hastings, Kearney, Des Moines, and the rest of Nebraska and Iowa
User avatar
Stargazer
County Board
Posts: 4182
Joined: Sat Dec 09, 2006 11:06 am
Location: Bennington

Valentine's Merritt Reservoir designated International Dark Sky Park

Post by Stargazer »

Kind of old news for those of us to which it's near and dear..

Merritt Reservoir south of Valentine was named the 200th International Dark Sky Park in the world.

This is not an easy designation to obtain, took diligent efforts by a number of people in Nebraska, including members of the Omaha Astronomical Society and representatives of Nebraska Game and Parks.

There was some controversy, in that the organization considering and designating these sites was ready to give the area a larger, International Dark Sky -Preserve- designation, covering WMA's surrounding the state park (only 17 designated 'preserve' in the WORLD).. but rumors were that area representatives were worried there'd be some kind of huge influx of visitors, which might disrupt other 'more important' hunting/fishing activities (which is ridiculous, just not that many astronomy enthusiasts).

https://darksky.org/news/merritt-reserv ... fied-idsp/

Sagittarius region from Snake River campground at Merritt
Image
Shoot for the Moon... if you miss, you'll land among the stars.
almighty_tuna
City Council
Posts: 106377
Joined: Tue Apr 13, 2004 1:34 pm
Location: Somewhere between downtown and Colorado

Re: Valentine's Merritt Reservoir designated International Dark Sky Park

Post by almighty_tuna »

Old news or not, this is definitely good news. With any luck it'll get a "preserve" designation in the future. We're lucky to have that area nearby.
User avatar
Busguy2010
City Council
Posts: 7331
Joined: Sat Apr 09, 2011 7:32 pm
Location: North Central Omaha

Re: Valentine's Merritt Reservoir designated International Dark Sky Park

Post by Busguy2010 »

I went there the third week of October last year. I went there partly for the purpose of stargazing, other part for fishing. It was amazing how clearly I could see the stars, and I could even see the milky way. I camped on the south end of the lake, and it was only me and one other group in the campground. Beautifully isolated and quiet outside of some boats coming in late and going out early. I plan to make it a regular thing to spend a week out there every year or two.

I would hate to go there when it's packed though, so I can see why there'd be a concern of attracting too many people.
ChadJK
Planning Board
Posts: 2504
Joined: Tue Feb 19, 2019 2:51 pm

Re: Valentine's Merritt Reservoir designated International Dark Sky Park

Post by ChadJK »

Is that where they do the Nebraska Star Party?
User avatar
Busguy2010
City Council
Posts: 7331
Joined: Sat Apr 09, 2011 7:32 pm
Location: North Central Omaha

Re: Valentine's Merritt Reservoir designated International Dark Sky Park

Post by Busguy2010 »

ChadJK wrote: Wed Aug 16, 2023 11:56 am Is that where they do the Nebraska Star Party?
Yes.

Like I said, I wouldn't be interested in going during that. It's packed. The stars are great no matter when you go.
ChadJK
Planning Board
Posts: 2504
Joined: Tue Feb 19, 2019 2:51 pm

Re: Valentine's Merritt Reservoir designated International Dark Sky Park

Post by ChadJK »

Busguy2010 wrote: Wed Aug 16, 2023 12:07 pm
ChadJK wrote: Wed Aug 16, 2023 11:56 am Is that where they do the Nebraska Star Party?
Yes.

Like I said, I wouldn't be interested in going during that. It's packed. The stars are great no matter when you go.
We went to Hyde Observatory in Lincoln a few weeks ago. It was neat, but with the almost full moon at the time and the late sunset this time of year it's hard to see a variety of stuff during public viewing. We also want to check out Branched Oak Observatory.
User avatar
Coyote
City Council
Posts: 34366
Joined: Tue Nov 18, 2003 11:18 am
Location: Aksarben Village

Re: Valentine's Merritt Reservoir designated International Dark Sky Park

Post by Coyote »

Merritt Reservoir SRA:
International Dark Sky Park




⭐ Do you want a chance to truly appreciate the allure of night? Merritt Reservoir State Recreation Area is the perfect location. Merritt was designated an International Dark Sky Park in 2022 for its exceptional quality of starry nights and nocturnal environment. Every eight years, light pollution around the world doubles! Today, 8 out of 10 children will grow up never seeing the Milky Way. You can change those statistics by visiting Merritt and doing your part to combat light pollution in your home.