Blockbuster/Hollywood Video Closings
-
Brad
- Photographer
- Posts: 1036569
- Joined: Sat Feb 28, 2004 6:03 pm
- Location: Omaha, NE
Blockbuster/Hollywood Video Closings
How dos that song go?
Video killed the radio star... In-Demand killed the video store.
I noticed that blockbuster closed up its 90th and Maple Location, Hollywood closed its Papillion location. The old blockbuster turned something else in fredrick square closed. I am sure there is more.
Video killed the radio star... In-Demand killed the video store.
I noticed that blockbuster closed up its 90th and Maple Location, Hollywood closed its Papillion location. The old blockbuster turned something else in fredrick square closed. I am sure there is more.
Last edited by Brad on Tue May 11, 2010 9:46 am, edited 1 time in total.

Omaha Skyline Photos, Omaha Aerial Photos, and More.
Website: www.bradwilliamsphotography.com
Facebook: www.facebook.com/bradwilliamsphotography
Twitter: www.twitter.com/bradwphoto
Instagram: www.instagram.com/bradwilliamsphotography
YouTube: www.youtube.com/@bradwilliamsphoto
-
bbinks
- Parks & Recreation
- Posts: 1552
- Joined: Thu Sep 14, 2006 4:10 pm
Re: In-Demand killed the video store
Brad wrote:How dos that song go?
Video killed the radio star... In-Demand killed the video store.
I noticed that blockbuster closed up its 90th and Maple Location, Hollywood closed its Papillion location. The old blockbuster turned something else in fredrick square closed. I am sure there is more.
That plus most new movies are on DVD in as little as 6 months. Plus stores like Wal-Mart have many good DVDs in their $5 and $7.50 selection. Just yesterday I picked up Collateral Damage and Look Who's Talking for $5 each.
I can't remember the last time I was in a video store. Long enough to know that the majority of their selection was VHS. You can probably buy for what the rental fees are now too.
-
Uffda
- County Board
- Posts: 4621
- Joined: Sun Jun 12, 2005 9:52 pm
- Location: Land o Lakes, FL
Blockbuster/Hollywood Video Closings
Long enough to know that the majority of their selection was VHS.
That must have been a long time ago.
I tend not to buy DVDs. I think I only have about 4 that I own as I don't watch them more than once or twice.
I had found a DVD kiosk at Bakers on N 90th that you could rent a movie for $1 per night. Just slide in your credit card and out pops the movie you selected. Unfortunately it was removed from that Bakers as it didn't generate much business. BUT there are still ones at 132nd and Maple and I think 72nd and Ames.
-
Brad
- Photographer
- Posts: 1036569
- Joined: Sat Feb 28, 2004 6:03 pm
- Location: Omaha, NE
Blockbuster/Hollywood Video Closings
I was so mad when I left there last week. That place is only 6 blocks north of my house and I make it there about once a year, after last week, it may be more than a year this time.Uffda wrote:...at Bakers on N 90th ......

Omaha Skyline Photos, Omaha Aerial Photos, and More.
Website: www.bradwilliamsphotography.com
Facebook: www.facebook.com/bradwilliamsphotography
Twitter: www.twitter.com/bradwphoto
Instagram: www.instagram.com/bradwilliamsphotography
YouTube: www.youtube.com/@bradwilliamsphoto
-
Big E
- City Council
- Posts: 8176
- Joined: Thu Jan 27, 2005 11:12 am
Re: In-Demand killed the video store
Yeah, but what about the good movies?bbinks wrote:Plus stores like Wal-Mart have many good DVDs in their $5 and $7.50 selection. Just yesterday I picked up Collateral Damage and Look Who's Talking for $5 each.
Anyone remember Applause by Big Fred's on 120th and Pacific? Remember when you could rent laser discs there?
Anyway, brick and mortar only video rental places are a dying breed - if not dead already. Netflix and iTunes signaled that. The only old-school renter I see surviving is Blockbuster, and that is because they adapted to the changing market.
Of course, it's all over when WalMart partners with Amazon and decides to get into the online rental and in-store combo game.
-Big E
Stable genius.
-
gisbuxfan
- Library Board
- Posts: 483
- Joined: Thu Jan 04, 2007 9:12 pm
- Location: Grand Island, NE
Blockbuster/Hollywood Video Closings
I loved Applause video, it was the only video rental place you could get freshly, over buttered, popped popcorn! Oh, but is was good!
-
thenewguy
- County Board
- Posts: 4336
- Joined: Fri Oct 19, 2007 9:50 pm
- Location: Council Bluffs
Re: In-Demand killed the video store
I don't think i would necessarily consider them good moviesbbinks wrote:Plus stores like Wal-Mart have many good DVDs in their $5 and $7.50 selection. Just yesterday I picked up Collateral Damage and Look Who's Talking for $5 each.
-
thenewguy
- County Board
- Posts: 4336
- Joined: Fri Oct 19, 2007 9:50 pm
- Location: Council Bluffs
Re: In-Demand killed the video store
Big E wrote:Yeah, but what about the good movies?bbinks wrote:Plus stores like Wal-Mart have many good DVDs in their $5 and $7.50 selection. Just yesterday I picked up Collateral Damage and Look Who's Talking for $5 each.![]()
Anyone remember Applause by Big Fred's on 120th and Pacific? Remember when you could rent laser discs there?
Anyway, brick and mortar only video rental places are a dying breed - if not dead already. Netflix and iTunes signaled that. The only old-school renter I see surviving is Blockbuster, and that is because they adapted to the changing market.
Of course, it's all over when WalMart partners with Amazon and decides to get into the online rental and in-store combo game.
-Big E
Dammit Big E, you made some of the same points i was trying to make while i was typing up my blog
-
HskrFanMike
- Parks & Recreation
- Posts: 1321
- Joined: Tue Jun 21, 2005 12:40 pm
Blockbuster/Hollywood Video Closings
Actually, the next innovation will be hooking an AppleTV or TiVO-like DVR to the internet and having programming downloaded overnight directly to you. That will kill DVDs for the most part; NetFlix might survive if they alter their delivery method. (Use internet instead of post office...)
This may also kill most of your cable TV channels as well, except for the ones that provide live programming (ESPN, News channels, etc.) In the future, programming will just be dumped to your TV device directly and you'll choose what to watch.
This may also kill most of your cable TV channels as well, except for the ones that provide live programming (ESPN, News channels, etc.) In the future, programming will just be dumped to your TV device directly and you'll choose what to watch.
-
Uffda
- County Board
- Posts: 4621
- Joined: Sun Jun 12, 2005 9:52 pm
- Location: Land o Lakes, FL
Blockbuster/Hollywood Video Closings
So what kind of time does it take to download a movie over the internet on a regular cable line? I don't know as I have never done it.
-
Brad
- Photographer
- Posts: 1036569
- Joined: Sat Feb 28, 2004 6:03 pm
- Location: Omaha, NE
Blockbuster/Hollywood Video Closings
I have no idea, but I would guess if you get a movie off of cox in-demand, it would be about the same. Its the same line and all?Uffda wrote:So what kind of time does it take to download a movie over the internet on a regular cable line? I don't know as I have never done it.

Omaha Skyline Photos, Omaha Aerial Photos, and More.
Website: www.bradwilliamsphotography.com
Facebook: www.facebook.com/bradwilliamsphotography
Twitter: www.twitter.com/bradwphoto
Instagram: www.instagram.com/bradwilliamsphotography
YouTube: www.youtube.com/@bradwilliamsphoto
-
Uffda
- County Board
- Posts: 4621
- Joined: Sun Jun 12, 2005 9:52 pm
- Location: Land o Lakes, FL
Blockbuster/Hollywood Video Closings
But wouldn't Cox in demand streaming video? I don't know as I have never used that.
-
Big E
- City Council
- Posts: 8176
- Joined: Thu Jan 27, 2005 11:12 am
Blockbuster/Hollywood Video Closings
On-demand movies are like instantaneous Pay Per View. You select "Buy" and it starts. My guess is there's a central broadcasting server of some sort at Cox (or your cable provider) and it just fires up when you say so. This is why the selection of on-demand is limited.
Downloading a movie is actually downloading a movie, and the selection is theoretically limited only to the number of movies ever made - assuming your service wants to license them all.
That's it in a nutshell.
-Big E
Downloading a movie is actually downloading a movie, and the selection is theoretically limited only to the number of movies ever made - assuming your service wants to license them all.
That's it in a nutshell.
-Big E
Stable genius.
-
nativeomahan
- County Board
- Posts: 6013
- Joined: Fri Nov 12, 2004 2:46 pm
- Location: Omaha and Puerto Vallarta
Blockbuster/Hollywood Video Closings
Here's another thing to consider. Cox will be expanding their Hi-Def lineup in the next few days. Ever since I got my big hi-def TV last Christmas that's about all I watch, and it will be nice to see more popular channels like HGTV, Cinemax and the Food Network show up on Hi Def, along with all the sports channels that are already on Hi Def.
My guess is that by 2009 most cable channels will be offered on Hi-Def TV.
Now, if I could just punch a button on my remote control and pop myself off my sofa and into one of those luscious travelogues of the South Seas islands or the Caribbean this winter!
My guess is that by 2009 most cable channels will be offered on Hi-Def TV.
Now, if I could just punch a button on my remote control and pop myself off my sofa and into one of those luscious travelogues of the South Seas islands or the Caribbean this winter!
-
Asten
- Human Relations
- Posts: 689
- Joined: Thu Dec 09, 2004 8:25 am
- Location: Physically: Chicagoland. Historically: Omaha
Blockbuster/Hollywood Video Closings
I remember going to applause at Harvey Oaks Plaza so long ago we would rent a VCR from them cause the beta war hadn't even happened yet. And renting Nintendo games there. Then blockbuster bought them, prices doubled overnight.. *sigh*gisbuxfan wrote:I loved Applause video, it was the only video rental place you could get freshly, over buttered, popped popcorn! Oh, but is was good!
-
omahastylee459
- Parks & Recreation
- Posts: 1017
- Joined: Sat Dec 25, 2004 4:48 pm
- Location: Nashua, NH
Blockbuster/Hollywood Video Closings
Big E wrote:On-demand movies are like instantaneous Pay Per View. You select "Buy" and it starts. My guess is there's a central broadcasting server of some sort at Cox (or your cable provider) and it just fires up when you say so. This is why the selection of on-demand is limited.
Downloading a movie is actually downloading a movie, and the selection is theoretically limited only to the number of movies ever made - assuming your service wants to license them all.
That's it in a nutshell.
-Big E
There are regional servers throughout the country that serve Cox customers. When you go to chnl 998 and press select you are accessing this server. There is only so much limited space on it so obviously you cant have an unlimited amount of movies on there.
-
Big E
- City Council
- Posts: 8176
- Joined: Thu Jan 27, 2005 11:12 am
Blockbuster/Hollywood Video Closings
Holy |expletive|... I was actually right about that?omahastylee459 wrote:There are regional servers throughout the country that serve Cox customers. When you go to chnl 998 and press select you are accessing this server. There is only so much limited space on it so obviously you cant have an unlimited amount of movies on there.
-Big E
Stable genius.
-
Uffda
- County Board
- Posts: 4621
- Joined: Sun Jun 12, 2005 9:52 pm
- Location: Land o Lakes, FL
Blockbuster/Hollywood Video Closings
http://www.thenewrelease.comDVD kiosk at Bakers
Several Bakers stores have them
http://tinyurl.com/yoajh6
-
the1wags
- County Board
- Posts: 3853
- Joined: Wed Dec 01, 2004 7:43 pm
- Location: Denver
Blockbuster/Hollywood Video Closings
Why is this in the rumors section?
-
Brad
- Photographer
- Posts: 1036569
- Joined: Sat Feb 28, 2004 6:03 pm
- Location: Omaha, NE
Blockbuster/Hollywood Video Closings
I wasn't sure why they were closing, I was thinking some guests would chime in an give us some some more info about other video stores closing?the1wags wrote:Why is this in the rumors section?

Omaha Skyline Photos, Omaha Aerial Photos, and More.
Website: www.bradwilliamsphotography.com
Facebook: www.facebook.com/bradwilliamsphotography
Twitter: www.twitter.com/bradwphoto
Instagram: www.instagram.com/bradwilliamsphotography
YouTube: www.youtube.com/@bradwilliamsphoto
-
Swift
- Planning Board
- Posts: 2887
- Joined: Thu Oct 28, 2004 2:13 pm
- Location: NYC
Blockbuster/Hollywood Video Closings
They're in the same category as newspapers.
I used to work and independent video store in San Francisco and it closed last year. Netflix is the main culprit (netflix is the sweetest thing to happen to movies since color, btw), but highspeed video downloads will hasten the process (you can stream movies through XBOX 360 to watch them on your tv, for example).
I used to work and independent video store in San Francisco and it closed last year. Netflix is the main culprit (netflix is the sweetest thing to happen to movies since color, btw), but highspeed video downloads will hasten the process (you can stream movies through XBOX 360 to watch them on your tv, for example).
-
Guest
Blockbuster/Hollywood Video Closings
A while back, when I was looking at commercial spaces for rent, I noticed all the Hollywood Video spaces. Are they even around anymore? I was told they were looking to sub-lease all their spaces and would be closing up when they did (or the leases we up).
-
Swift
- Planning Board
- Posts: 2887
- Joined: Thu Oct 28, 2004 2:13 pm
- Location: NYC
Blockbuster/Hollywood Video Closings
The one on Saddle Creek is still open, I think, but it's a little run down. The Blockbuster across the street is in fine condition though.
It's disappointing because Hollywood had a good selection of foreign, obscure and nc-17 (don't laugh, some of the best movies of the past 20 years have been nc-17).
It's disappointing because Hollywood had a good selection of foreign, obscure and nc-17 (don't laugh, some of the best movies of the past 20 years have been nc-17).
-
a42887
- Home Owners Association
- Posts: 60
- Joined: Mon Jan 08, 2007 11:08 am
Blockbuster/Hollywood Video Closings
All closed up.


-
Uffda
- County Board
- Posts: 4621
- Joined: Sun Jun 12, 2005 9:52 pm
- Location: Land o Lakes, FL
Blockbuster/Hollywood Video Closings
I mentioned the rental video cube at some of the Bakers stores --- http://www.thenewrelease.com/locations. ... &radius=15
I recently saw another one -- http://www.redbox.com/ -- The Red Box in a couple of HYVEE stores.
I have some times rented from the Bakers Kiosk but find a lot of movies already rented out. With Red Box I guess you can reserve the movie online and then go in and get it.
I recently saw another one -- http://www.redbox.com/ -- The Red Box in a couple of HYVEE stores.
I have some times rented from the Bakers Kiosk but find a lot of movies already rented out. With Red Box I guess you can reserve the movie online and then go in and get it.
-
Guest
Blockbuster/Hollywood Video Closings
The redboxes are nice. You can get 1-day rentals pretty much every day if you want with the free codes out on the net.
-
Uffda
- County Board
- Posts: 4621
- Joined: Sun Jun 12, 2005 9:52 pm
- Location: Land o Lakes, FL
Blockbuster/Hollywood Video Closings
where can i get the free codes? 
-
theurge
- Home Owners Association
- Posts: 59
- Joined: Tue May 29, 2007 6:45 pm
- Location: Ralston
-
Uffda
- County Board
- Posts: 4621
- Joined: Sun Jun 12, 2005 9:52 pm
- Location: Land o Lakes, FL
Blockbuster/Hollywood Video Closings
thank you :D
-
bargainhunter
- Library Board
- Posts: 256
- Joined: Wed Jul 30, 2008 7:58 pm
- Location: CB
Hollywood Video Closed
Noticed this weekend that Hollywood video at 1823 W Broadway is closed.
http://www.loopnet.com/property/1552937 ... -BROADWAY/
http://www.loopnet.com/property/1552937 ... -BROADWAY/
-
almighty_tuna
- City Council
- Posts: 106377
- Joined: Tue Apr 13, 2004 1:34 pm
- Location: Somewhere between downtown and Colorado
Blockbuster/Hollywood Video Closings
on a related note, Blockbuster at 96th & Q is also closing up shop.
-
thenewguy
- County Board
- Posts: 4336
- Joined: Fri Oct 19, 2007 9:50 pm
- Location: Council Bluffs
Blockbuster/Hollywood Video Closings
that's weird. My wife and i drove by there saturday and it was opened, but had a bunch of stuff on the windows that said something about all dvd's $5. She didn't let me go in, however. That'd have been a good opportunity to expand my collection 
Go Cubs Go
-
justnick
- Human Relations
- Posts: 892
- Joined: Mon Sep 01, 2008 3:47 pm
- Location: Downtown
Blockbuster/Hollywood Video Closings
30th and Forest Lawn, too.almighty_tuna wrote:on a related note, Blockbuster at 96th & Q is also closing up shop.
-
Brad
- Photographer
- Posts: 1036569
- Joined: Sat Feb 28, 2004 6:03 pm
- Location: Omaha, NE
Blockbuster/Hollywood Video Closings
Netflix and In demand.
I saw the CB Hollywood video closed the other day and I had a good Idea for the location, but now I can't remember what it was.
I saw the CB Hollywood video closed the other day and I had a good Idea for the location, but now I can't remember what it was.

Omaha Skyline Photos, Omaha Aerial Photos, and More.
Website: www.bradwilliamsphotography.com
Facebook: www.facebook.com/bradwilliamsphotography
Twitter: www.twitter.com/bradwphoto
Instagram: www.instagram.com/bradwilliamsphotography
YouTube: www.youtube.com/@bradwilliamsphoto
-
TitosBuritoBarn
- Planning Board
- Posts: 3278
- Joined: Mon Nov 08, 2004 7:08 pm
- Location: St. Louis
Blockbuster/Hollywood Video Closings
Word on the street is that Hollywood Video is in pretty big financial trouble.
-
thenewguy
- County Board
- Posts: 4336
- Joined: Fri Oct 19, 2007 9:50 pm
- Location: Council Bluffs
Blockbuster/Hollywood Video Closings
there used to be a romeos there. I wish they'd have kept it: i love romeos.
Go Cubs Go
-
bbinks
- Parks & Recreation
- Posts: 1552
- Joined: Thu Sep 14, 2006 4:10 pm
Blockbuster/Hollywood Video Closings
Hollywood on 32 and Ames is closed as well.
-
Ankeny Husker Freak
- Home Owners Association
- Posts: 68
- Joined: Fri Feb 10, 2006 9:01 am
- Location: Ankeny, IA
Blockbuster/Hollywood Video Closings
Hollywood Video has closed up shop in the Des Moines 'burb I live in as well.
-
Coyote
- City Council
- Posts: 34366
- Joined: Tue Nov 18, 2003 11:18 am
- Location: Aksarben Village
Blockbuster/Hollywood Video Closings
Hollywood Video closing
I presume this is the beginning of the end for video rentals stores.Debra Dowling - Bellevue Leader wrote:Hollywood Video will be closing its Bellevue location on Galvin Road in the near future, although a specific date has not been set. Earlier this month, Movie Gallery Inc., owner of the video movie rental chain, filed for Chapter 11 bankruptcy protection, announcing it planned to close more than 800 stores, about a third of its total. Industry analysts have said the company is struggling with stiff competition as more and more people opt to rent movies online or via $1-per-night rentals at convenience and grocery stores across the country.
-
Stargazer
- County Board
- Posts: 4182
- Joined: Sat Dec 09, 2006 11:06 am
- Location: Bennington
Blockbuster/Hollywood Video Closings
So when is Level 3 going to start taking off... I would have guessed we'd have reached bandwidth utilization which would have seen them reaping the benefits by now.
Shoot for the Moon... if you miss, you'll land among the stars.