A couple Omaha population questions
-
huskerJay
- New to the Neighborhood
- Posts: 29
- Joined: Wed Mar 12, 2008 4:34 pm
A couple Omaha population questions
Me and a buddy have been arguing about this. The number of 830,000 was one that I heard. What areas does that consist of? There is another number in the 400,000 range, what does that consist of? Is one without Ralston, bellevue, papillion, Millard, Elkhorn, Gretna and the other one with? Is Council Bluffs factored in? Help would be much appreciated. Thanks
-
Big E
- City Council
- Posts: 8176
- Joined: Thu Jan 27, 2005 11:12 am
A couple Omaha population questions
830,000 is the media market or MSA or whatever terminology the geeks fight over. (I kid 'cuz I love.)
400,000 is the population within the Omaha city limits (which I think is actually somewhere in the mid-upper 300s.)
Someone else will clear this up with more info than you ever possibly wanted.
-Big E
400,000 is the population within the Omaha city limits (which I think is actually somewhere in the mid-upper 300s.)
Someone else will clear this up with more info than you ever possibly wanted.
-Big E
Stable genius.
-
Swift
- Planning Board
- Posts: 2887
- Joined: Thu Oct 28, 2004 2:13 pm
- Location: NYC
A couple Omaha population questions
The 870,000 one is the Metro area population, so it includes Council Bluffs, Bellevue, the suburbs, and several surrounding counties.
he 400,000 number is the number of residents living in the city proper.
he 400,000 number is the number of residents living in the city proper.
-
DTO Luv
- City Council
- Posts: 9644
- Joined: Sun Jun 06, 2004 4:22 pm
A couple Omaha population questions
830,000 is for the MSA which includes Douglas, Sarpy, Cass, Washington, and Saunders County in Nebraska and Pottawatamie, Mills, and Harrison Counties in Iowa. The CSA is the same counties plus Dodge County which brings it up to 870,000
The City of Omaha's population is somewhere around 420,000-430,000 which inclues the annexed Elkhorn.
The City of Omaha's population is somewhere around 420,000-430,000 which inclues the annexed Elkhorn.
DTO
-
huskerJay
- New to the Neighborhood
- Posts: 29
- Joined: Wed Mar 12, 2008 4:34 pm
A couple Omaha population questions
Interesting, and thanks for the quick replies. I remember USA Today just last summer came out with a census and we were the 44th largest city I believe. What did that census include? Was Elkhorn factored into that one, Millard etc. I guess I am just not clear on what is considered living in the "city" of Omaha and what is not.
-
DTO Luv
- City Council
- Posts: 9644
- Joined: Sun Jun 06, 2004 4:22 pm
A couple Omaha population questions
We are the 44th largest city as far as biggest municipalities but we are 60th as far as overall people. Millard is not a separate part of the city. It was at one time but was annexed over 30 years ago. Now it's just a neighborhood but I couldn't tell you what it's "boundaries" are. Unless you're in Sarpy County or are Bennington or Ralston, that's the city of Omaha.
DTO
-
huskerJay
- New to the Neighborhood
- Posts: 29
- Joined: Wed Mar 12, 2008 4:34 pm
A couple Omaha population questions
Thank you my kind sir.
-
Big E
- City Council
- Posts: 8176
- Joined: Thu Jan 27, 2005 11:12 am
A couple Omaha population questions
Go to the city council's website. They have a map there that shows the geography of the "city" of Omaha to the street (complete with the seven districts). That is what is technically the City of Omaha.huskerJay wrote:Interesting, and thanks for the quick replies. I remember USA Today just last summer came out with a census and we were the 44th largest city I believe. What did that census include? Was Elkhorn factored into that one, Millard etc. I guess I am just not clear on what is considered living in the "city" of Omaha and what is not.
-Big E
Stable genius.