Churches in Omaha

Visitors and Residents can ask Questions about Omaha here
msgrace_29

Churches in Omaha

Post by msgrace_29 »

My boyfriend and I are moving to Omaha in the fall and we're looking for churches. We're interested in a contemporary, preferably Baptist church. Anybody know any good places to start looking?

Thanks!
User avatar
Stargazer
County Board
Posts: 4182
Joined: Sat Dec 09, 2006 5:06 pm
Location: Bennington

Churches in Omaha

Post by Stargazer »

Westside Church out at about 154th and West Dodge... is a 'contemporary Baptist church'. I'm sure they will greet you with open arms.
Shoot for the Moon... if you miss, you'll land among the stars.
Bob from Omaha
Planning Board
Posts: 3079
Joined: Wed Sep 08, 2004 8:00 pm
Location: Metro Detroit Michigan

Churches in Omaha

Post by Bob from Omaha »

Having recently moved to a new city I can recommend that you call ahead before you visit Omaha and let some churches know you might be attending services. They might have a newcomers committee that could seat you with others your own age, invite you over for lunch or dinner to meet some others, etc. It's hard being the new people but it also gives you a chance to find your place and pursue your passions with a clean slate, so to speak.

Good luck, and don't let others here get you down. Omaha can be a very welcoming place.
User avatar
nebugeater
City Council
Posts: 110975
Joined: Wed Aug 04, 2004 11:07 pm
Location: Gretna NE

Churches in Omaha

Post by nebugeater »

There are a lot of Church's with a lot of denominations in the area. I have found that asking which is better is like asking any open question, there is no correct answer. I would suggest that you find 3 or 4 that look like they might "fit" and go for a few weeks to each and see what best works for you. There is location, size schedule, aver age of members, your activities, and all kinds of things to consider. You have to find what is correct for you and take everyone suggest likes as dislikes as input. I will not even mention what works for me, I know nothing about you in all reality so I have no idea if it works for you. If you are interested in where I go, just ask, and I will tell you. A little insight about what you are looking for in addition to your initial post might help.
For the record  NEBUGEATER does not equal BUGEATER    !!!!!!!
User avatar
Uffda
County Board
Posts: 4621
Joined: Mon Jun 13, 2005 2:52 am
Location: Land o Lakes, FL

Churches in Omaha

Post by Uffda »

I will throw my two cents in --- I have attended Bethany Lutheran in Elkhorn since I moved to Omaha 6 years ago. It isnt Baptist but it is comtemporary.
User avatar
Big E
City Council
Posts: 8176
Joined: Thu Jan 27, 2005 5:12 pm

Churches in Omaha

Post by Big E »

What does "contemporary" church mean?
Stable genius.
User avatar
Uffda
County Board
Posts: 4621
Joined: Mon Jun 13, 2005 2:52 am
Location: Land o Lakes, FL

Churches in Omaha

Post by Uffda »

Probably depends on the church. Mine is a little less formal, doesn't follow the traditional layout of a traditional church service, contemporary music...not all comes from the old hymnals.
Guest

Churches in Omaha

Post by Guest »

Big E wrote:What does "contemporary" church mean?
99% of it is the music. The last 1% is whatever that denomination is doing that feels contemporary to them.
TechnicalDisaster
Parks & Recreation
Posts: 1649
Joined: Mon Nov 08, 2004 10:47 pm
Location: I got old...

Re: Churches in Omaha

Post by TechnicalDisaster »

msgrace_29 wrote:My boyfriend and I are moving to Omaha in the fall and we're looking for churches. We're interested in a contemporary, preferably Baptist church. Anybody know any good places to start looking?

Thanks!
I've hung out with a lot of teens from the West Omaha Baptist Church on 96th & Giles. I haven't attended service there, but the people I've met are great and the facility is up to date. They've built a baseball field on their property that gets used quite a bit. They also have summer carnivals that get pretty big.

http://www.westomahabaptistchurch.org/
User avatar
Uffda
County Board
Posts: 4621
Joined: Mon Jun 13, 2005 2:52 am
Location: Land o Lakes, FL

Churches in Omaha

Post by Uffda »

99% of it is the music.
the one i attend isnt
User avatar
gisbuxfan
Library Board
Posts: 483
Joined: Fri Jan 05, 2007 3:12 am
Location: Grand Island, NE

Churches in Omaha

Post by gisbuxfan »

I suppose its safe to say that if there are only a handful of church-goers on here, than I am probably the only pastor on here. Welcome to Omaha!
User avatar
Coyote
City Council
Posts: 34366
Joined: Tue Nov 18, 2003 5:18 pm
Yahoo Messenger: jestcoyote
Location: Aksarben Village

Churches in Omaha

Post by Coyote »

I know of at least two others.
User avatar
Garrett
County Board
Posts: 4708
Joined: Thu Nov 27, 2008 12:29 am
Location: New York City

Churches in Omaha

Post by Garrett »

I go to church as well, weekly, as well as on Wednesdays.
OMA-->CHI-->NYC
Paul Bunyan
New to the Neighborhood
Posts: 7
Joined: Tue Jan 13, 2009 3:36 am
Location: Omaha - ??

Churches in Omaha

Post by Paul Bunyan »

There are a lot of really good churches in Omaha that have a contemporary tone and are evangelical in nature. Evangelical Free Churches tend to run that course, as do most of your Baptist Churches and Christian Churches. There are also a lot of different sized churches. I can shoot you a few ideas if you want to PM me.
User avatar
gisbuxfan
Library Board
Posts: 483
Joined: Fri Jan 05, 2007 3:12 am
Location: Grand Island, NE

Churches in Omaha

Post by gisbuxfan »

From my experience the "contemporary" service is nearly out of date. Here's what I have found as far as descriptions of services:

Traditional Service - Heavy on the liturgy, use of hymnals, a little more somber atmosphere
Contemporary Service - Singing produced songs, use of full band (including drums) with a little use of media to get points across
Modern Service - Heavy on music, loud, media heavy, typically a younger crowd.

Most of the churches I have seen lean toward the latter two, although even our church still offers the traditional service. It's all about personal preference.
joeglow
Planning Board
Posts: 2645
Joined: Thu Apr 14, 2005 12:04 am

Churches in Omaha

Post by joeglow »

We love Mary Our Queen, which is Catholic. They have a contemporary mass on Sunday's.
cp jay 07
Human Relations
Posts: 734
Joined: Tue Jan 02, 2007 8:31 am

Churches in Omaha

Post by cp jay 07 »

St. Mary Magdalene Catholic church on the corner of 19th and Dodge. In and out in 30 minutes. No singing and no heavy metal drums and that |expletive|. Just mass, in and out, I love it. Seriously though the Priest wears a beeper, if his homily goes longer than 5 minutes it starts beeping and he ends it. My favorite church in Omaha since my old church St Columbkille in Papillion went more contemporary. I really don't like these catholic churches with drums and electric guitars, its church not a freaking metalica concert. I guess I like the old school mass.
icejammer
County Board
Posts: 3569
Joined: Tue Oct 05, 2004 4:39 pm
Location: Council Bluffs

Churches in Omaha

Post by icejammer »

cp jay 07 wrote: I guess I like the old school mass.
You mean they do the service in Latin? That would be worth checking out. :;):
"Destiny is not a matter of chance, it is a matter of choice; it is not a thing to be waited for, it is a thing to be achieved."

--William Jennings Bryan