OmahaChannel.com wrote: OMAHA, Neb. -- His name is synonymous with boxing -- and grills -- but who knew George Foreman was a football fan?
Foreman was in Omaha Friday to testify in a civil lawsuit against a former business partner.
On his way to the courthouse, Foreman said he's in the state as a concerned football fan.
"I really want to complain about Nebraska the school. It's not doing well in football," Foreman said. "Since '83 I have been a dedicated fan. I want a national title. I want this team to regroup and get back on its feet and next year should be the year, or I'm coming back and I'm taking heads."
Is he really a Husker fan? He seems to know a lot about the program.
"We're gonna make a comeback Nebraska! We nned a running back, a quarter back -- I better be quiet," Foreman said, before walking away from the camera.
George Foreman... the Nebraska football fan in town
-
eomaha
- County Board
- Posts: 4176
- Joined: Thu Nov 13, 2003 4:29 pm
- Location: West Omaha
George Foreman... the Nebraska football fan in town
-
almighty_tuna
- City Council
- Posts: 106380
- Joined: Tue Apr 13, 2004 6:34 pm
- Location: Somewhere between downtown and Colorado
George Foreman... the Nebraska football fan in town
At least he didn't pull out the "giving them the ol' one-two" line.
-
StreetsOfOmaha
- City Council
- Posts: 6854
- Joined: Sun Feb 08, 2004 10:46 pm
George Foreman... the Nebraska football fan in town
Yes, "Nebraska the school" is not doing well.
"The right to have access to every building in the city by private motorcar in an age when everyone possesses such a vehicle is actually the right to destroy the city."
Lewis Mumford, The Highway and the City, 1963
Lewis Mumford, The Highway and the City, 1963
-
edsas
- Human Relations
- Posts: 841
- Joined: Mon Feb 09, 2004 3:47 am
- Location: La Vista
George Foreman... the Nebraska football fan in town
Perhaps Foreman's interest in the Huskers was helped a little by his friend, Barney Oldfield. Barney died about a year ago. He was a native of Nebraska and maintained strong connections to the state (particularly the Huskers) despite moving away in the 1940s (he was a war correspondant in WW2), taking up residence in Los Angeles where (in the 50s and 60s) he would become a top media journalist and agent.
He met George Foreman in the 1980s and they started a charity together that was designed to put underpriveleged kids through college. Despite the age difference, Foreman and Oldfield became close friends. I wouldn't be surprised if Oldfield's love for the Huskers rubbed off on George a little.
He met George Foreman in the 1980s and they started a charity together that was designed to put underpriveleged kids through college. Despite the age difference, Foreman and Oldfield became close friends. I wouldn't be surprised if Oldfield's love for the Huskers rubbed off on George a little.
-
projectman
- Human Relations
- Posts: 867
- Joined: Thu Sep 02, 2004 2:44 am
- Location: Millard/Sarpy County
George Foreman... the Nebraska football fan in town
Did anyone tell George about Firesteve.com. 
-
icejammer
- County Board
- Posts: 3569
- Joined: Tue Oct 05, 2004 4:39 pm
- Location: Council Bluffs
George Foreman... the Nebraska football fan in town
Wow, Nebraska had a Barney Oldfield too? The only one I had heard about was the race driver from the turn of the century. I'm sure some of us more 'mature' posters had a dad or grandpa say to us "Who do you think you are? Barney Oldfield?" after getting pulled over for speeding.edsas wrote:Perhaps Foreman's interest in the Huskers was helped a little by his friend, Barney Oldfield.
-
edsas
- Human Relations
- Posts: 841
- Joined: Mon Feb 09, 2004 3:47 am
- Location: La Vista
George Foreman... the Nebraska football fan in town
Oh, yeah. He used to joke about that. Here's a link to a tribute to the Nebraska Barney. George Foreman was at the funeral last year.
http://www.nebraskacoast.com/barney403.html
http://www.nebraskacoast.com/barney403.html
-
DTO Luv
- City Council
- Posts: 9644
- Joined: Sun Jun 06, 2004 9:22 pm