Almost Music / Solid Jackson Books (Iwen Exposures)
-
ShawJ
- Parks & Recreation
- Posts: 1573
- Joined: Wed Jan 31, 2007 11:58 pm
Almost Music / Solid Jackson Books (Iwen Exposures)
I've noticed a new photography place entering a building along Farnam right next to Cheaters. I can't remember the name... something with "Exposures" in it I think. Anyone have any details? Pretty interesting location with the Photographics store on 40th and Farnam.
--
Re:
Almost Music / Solid Jackson Books (Iwen Exposures)
--
Re:
Almost Music / Solid Jackson Books (Iwen Exposures)
Last edited by ShawJ on Fri Feb 05, 2010 3:34 am, edited 1 time in total.
-
ShawJ
- Parks & Recreation
- Posts: 1573
- Joined: Wed Jan 31, 2007 11:58 pm
-
StreetsOfOmaha
- City Council
- Posts: 6854
- Joined: Sun Feb 08, 2004 10:46 pm
Almost Music / Solid Jackson Books (Iwen Exposures)
Wow. I love a lot of their photos.
I'll have to pay attention the next time I'm in that area. I used to live about a block away. That strip of Farnam has enormous potential to become a vibrant walking/commercial district. It's location directly between MTC and UNMC is ideal. This is another reason I wish they had extended the two way traffic and streetscaping on Franam all the way to the Med Center. I hope it's something that will be done subsequently, perhaps in conjunction with a streetcar implementation.
I'll have to pay attention the next time I'm in that area. I used to live about a block away. That strip of Farnam has enormous potential to become a vibrant walking/commercial district. It's location directly between MTC and UNMC is ideal. This is another reason I wish they had extended the two way traffic and streetscaping on Franam all the way to the Med Center. I hope it's something that will be done subsequently, perhaps in conjunction with a streetcar implementation.
"The right to have access to every building in the city by private motorcar in an age when everyone possesses such a vehicle is actually the right to destroy the city."
Lewis Mumford, The Highway and the City, 1963
Lewis Mumford, The Highway and the City, 1963
-
ShawJ
- Parks & Recreation
- Posts: 1573
- Joined: Wed Jan 31, 2007 11:58 pm
Almost Music / Solid Jackson Books (Iwen Exposures)
I agree. I'm pretty sure this building was abandoned for some time, so it's nice to see some business going in. Now if only Cheaters would shut down...StreetsOfOmaha wrote:Wow. I love a lot of their photos.
I'll have to pay attention the next time I'm in that area. I used to live about a block away. That strip of Farnam has enormous potential to become a vibrant walking/commercial district. It's location directly between MTC and UNMC is ideal. This is another reason I wish they had extended the two way traffic and streetscaping on Franam all the way to the Med Center. I hope it's something that will be done subsequently, perhaps in conjunction with a streetcar implementation.
-
StreetsOfOmaha
- City Council
- Posts: 6854
- Joined: Sun Feb 08, 2004 10:46 pm
Almost Music / Solid Jackson Books (Iwen Exposures)
I thought they did...
"The right to have access to every building in the city by private motorcar in an age when everyone possesses such a vehicle is actually the right to destroy the city."
Lewis Mumford, The Highway and the City, 1963
Lewis Mumford, The Highway and the City, 1963
-
ShawJ
- Parks & Recreation
- Posts: 1573
- Joined: Wed Jan 31, 2007 11:58 pm
Almost Music / Solid Jackson Books (Iwen Exposures)
Did they? I know they had their liquor license taken away but hadn't followed the story much from then on.StreetsOfOmaha wrote:I thought they did...
-
Seth
- Parks & Recreation
- Posts: 1436
- Joined: Mon Jan 11, 2010 10:59 pm
- Location: Ford Birthsite Neighborhood
Re: Almost Music / Solid Jackson Books (Iwen Exposures)
After they had their liquor license revoked, they were open as a "teen dance club," which didn't sound much less disruptive than their previous operation. Apparently, the city wasn't a fan either, and they shut the place down on building code violations.ShawJ wrote:Did they? I know they had their liquor license taken away but hadn't followed the story much from then on.StreetsOfOmaha wrote:I thought they did...
http://www.omaha.com/article/20100112/NEWS01/701129855
When I was in Omaha, I was surprised that this stretch of Farnam isn't more developed; it's centrally-located with a lot of traffic and (potentially) a lot of foot traffic. I really hope MTC stimulates further work on this corridor.
The streetcars really could help spur further development; look at what happened in Portland.
-
ShawJ
- Parks & Recreation
- Posts: 1573
- Joined: Wed Jan 31, 2007 11:58 pm
Re: Almost Music / Solid Jackson Books (Iwen Exposures)
Thanks for that, Seth. I guess I should pay attention more.Seth wrote:After they had their liquor license revoked, they were open as a "teen dance club," which didn't sound much less disruptive than their previous operation. Apparently, the city wasn't a fan either, and they shut the place down on building code violations.ShawJ wrote:Did they? I know they had their liquor license taken away but hadn't followed the story much from then on.StreetsOfOmaha wrote:I thought they did...
http://www.omaha.com/article/20100112/NEWS01/701129855
When I was in Omaha, I was surprised that this stretch of Farnam isn't more developed; it's centrally-located with a lot of traffic and (potentially) a lot of foot traffic. I really hope MTC stimulates further work on this corridor.
The streetcars really could help spur further development; look at what happened in Portland.
I think this area will come alive eventually with MTC and UNMC next door. Changing this section of farnam from one-way to two-way would be a good start.
-
frankt
- New to the Neighborhood
- Posts: 35
- Joined: Sun Nov 24, 2013 5:14 pm
Re: Blackstone Business Improvement District
Almost Music from Benson is moving to 3925 Farnam.
-
SaveOmaha
- Home Owners Association
- Posts: 227
- Joined: Thu Dec 29, 2011 11:42 pm
Re: Blackstone Business Improvement District
Fantastic! Sure would like to see that current facade ripped off too...
Last edited by SaveOmaha on Fri Jul 22, 2022 1:03 am, edited 1 time in total.
-
Coyote
- City Council
- Posts: 34366
- Joined: Tue Nov 18, 2003 5:18 pm
- Yahoo Messenger: jestcoyote
- Location: Aksarben Village
Re: Blackstone Business Improvement District
Is that the Photography studio?SaveOmaha wrote:Fantastic! Sure would like to see that strange facade ripped off too...
-
SaveOmaha
- Home Owners Association
- Posts: 227
- Joined: Thu Dec 29, 2011 11:42 pm
-
iamjacobm
- City Council
- Posts: 10821
- Joined: Sat Apr 10, 2010 11:52 am
- Location: Chicago
Re: Blackstone Business Improvement District
Solid Jackson Books is moving from Benson with them. The developers of Blackstone have done an awesome job at keeping the mix of retailers unique and local major kudos to them.frankt wrote:Almost Music from Benson is moving to 3925 Farnam.
-
Coyote
- City Council
- Posts: 34366
- Joined: Tue Nov 18, 2003 5:18 pm
- Yahoo Messenger: jestcoyote
- Location: Aksarben Village
Re: Almost Music / Solid Jackson Books (Iwen Exposures)
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
-
iamjacobm
- City Council
- Posts: 10821
- Joined: Sat Apr 10, 2010 11:52 am
- Location: Chicago
Re: Almost Music / Solid Jackson Books (Iwen Exposures)
Great read on the history of Blackstone.
http://myomahaobsession.com/2016/03/30/ ... bookstore/
Also this awesome before and after picture of the buildings.


http://myomahaobsession.com/2016/03/30/ ... bookstore/
Also this awesome before and after picture of the buildings.


-
Coyote
- City Council
- Posts: 34366
- Joined: Tue Nov 18, 2003 5:18 pm
- Yahoo Messenger: jestcoyote
- Location: Aksarben Village
Re: Almost Music / Solid Jackson Books (Iwen Exposures)
Something tells me it will be a while before they can afford to do that. But I have my fingers crossed.skinzfan23 wrote:Would be even better if they tore off the corragated metal siding and changed the paint color or clean it off to expose the natural brick.
-
Brad
- Photographer
- Posts: 1036609
- Joined: Sun Feb 29, 2004 12:03 am
- Location: Omaha, NE
Re: Almost Music / Solid Jackson Books (Iwen Exposures)
When did they pain the photography building obnoxious colors?

Omaha Skyline Photos, Omaha Aerial Photos, and More.
Website: www.bradwilliamsphotography.com
Facebook: www.facebook.com/bradwilliamsphotography
Twitter: www.twitter.com/bradwphoto
Instagram: www.instagram.com/bradwilliamsphotography
YouTube: www.youtube.com/@bradwilliamsphoto
-
Coyote
- City Council
- Posts: 34366
- Joined: Tue Nov 18, 2003 5:18 pm
- Yahoo Messenger: jestcoyote
- Location: Aksarben Village
Re: Almost Music / Solid Jackson Books (Iwen Exposures)
Black Stone... Happy Brad?


-
Omaha_corn_burner
- Human Relations
- Posts: 522
- Joined: Fri Jun 05, 2015 6:16 pm
Re: Almost Music / Solid Jackson Books (Iwen Exposures)
No idea, but it is black nowBrad wrote:When did they pain the photography building obnoxious colors?
-
lisanstan
- Library Board
- Posts: 293
- Joined: Wed Aug 10, 2005 11:20 pm
Re: Almost Music / Solid Jackson Books (Iwen Exposures)
That bright yellow sign reminds me of the temporary bookstores that go up in empty buildings for a few weeks. It just looks so... temporary. Thank god that yellow wall is gone. That was horrendous.
-
iamjacobm
- City Council
- Posts: 10821
- Joined: Sat Apr 10, 2010 11:52 am
- Location: Chicago
Re: Almost Music / Solid Jackson Books (Iwen Exposures)
Closing at the end of the year.