Official: West Dodge Expressway
-
Swift
- Planning Board
- Posts: 2887
- Joined: Thu Oct 28, 2004 2:13 pm
- Location: NYC
Official: West Dodge Expressway
It's going to take them that long to finish?
The rate that they are going I thought they would be done by hte end of fall.
The rate that they are going I thought they would be done by hte end of fall.
-
Brad
- Photographer
- Posts: 1036559
- Joined: Sat Feb 28, 2004 6:03 pm
- Location: Omaha, NE
Official: West Dodge Expressway
They have to finish all of both bridges exept the one section over 120th st then they have to remove 120th st and tear out the hill before the bridge will even open. Besides the two main bridges, they also have several smaller bridges ar the east end of the expressway.
-
Swift
- Planning Board
- Posts: 2887
- Joined: Thu Oct 28, 2004 2:13 pm
- Location: NYC
Official: West Dodge Expressway
But still there was practically nothing in October and now it looks as if one side is nearly complete. I was surprised that they are only on schedule.
-
OhioStreetKid
- Home Owners Association
- Posts: 162
- Joined: Sun Aug 29, 2004 8:16 pm
- Location: Omaha, NE
Official: West Dodge Expressway
The rate that they are going I thought they would be done by hte end of fall.
-
OmahaDevelopmentMan
- Human Relations
- Posts: 593
- Joined: Tue Nov 09, 2004 6:12 pm
- Location: Omaha, someplace in middle America
Official: West Dodge Expressway
OK thank god they are redoing lower dodge after this is done. It looks so pieced together right now. I for some reason thought it was perminant. I'm wrong! I can't wait till it is all landscaped when its done. It should look great.
-
Coyote
- City Council
- Posts: 34366
- Joined: Tue Nov 18, 2003 11:18 am
- Location: Aksarben Village
Official: West Dodge Expressway
Brad wrote:Is anyone able to post the map that was with this article in paper.

-
TitosBuritoBarn
- Planning Board
- Posts: 3275
- Joined: Mon Nov 08, 2004 7:08 pm
- Location: St. Louis
Official: West Dodge Expressway
Hmmmm, no doubt it'll be interesting when its all done, but I find it kind of unneccesary that they need a lower and an upper street. I was thinking they should just make it like a normal freeway with exits at 108th and 114th instead of lights. I suppose that would require a lot more eminent domain though eh?
-
almighty_tuna
- City Council
- Posts: 106375
- Joined: Tue Apr 13, 2004 1:34 pm
- Location: Somewhere between downtown and Colorado
Official: West Dodge Expressway
I guarantee the businesses at 114th & Dodge would go ballistic if there was only a conventional freeway through there. They were upset that the elevated freeway would decrease business because people would take the lower road less.
-
MTO
- City Council
- Posts: 7783
- Joined: Wed Mar 09, 2005 11:49 am
- Location: Dundee
Official: West Dodge Expressway
They dam near went ballistic when this thing was being approved. But really though it’s the government, they will tare through neighborhoods just to put in roads (eminent domain). I think it should have been a classic freeway as well.
-
Jon
- Home Owners Association
- Posts: 58
- Joined: Wed Apr 21, 2004 12:13 pm
- Location: Omaha, NE
Official: West Dodge Expressway
And it's right that they SHOULD be upset. I don't argue the benefits of the freeway, but there absolutely has been a "taking", and I feel the business owners should receive compensation. It's as quantifiable as the loss that would be incurred if you lost part of your yard to a road expansion.almighty_tuna wrote:I guarantee the businesses at 114th & Dodge would go ballistic if there was only a conventional freeway through there. They were upset that the elevated freeway would decrease business because people would take the lower road less.
Got Talk?
HeartlandForums.com - Discussion forums for Omaha, Nebraska, and the Heartland.
Your Home On The Web
Homepage Webs
Now featuring a photo hosting package!
HeartlandForums.com - Discussion forums for Omaha, Nebraska, and the Heartland.
Your Home On The Web
Homepage Webs
Now featuring a photo hosting package!
-
Swift
- Planning Board
- Posts: 2887
- Joined: Thu Oct 28, 2004 2:13 pm
- Location: NYC
Official: West Dodge Expressway
Classic freeways are gross. I'm glad it's an elevated expressway. Driving under an elevated road is fun and exciting, and driving on the new espressway will give higher vantage point over the valley.
-
Raraavis
- Library Board
- Posts: 313
- Joined: Mon Jun 07, 2004 11:36 pm
Official: West Dodge Expressway
I guess I am still the only one who thinks making north and south bound traffic on 120th go through a traditional intersection is a bad idea. That is going to be the worst intersection in Omaha. 120th Street has a ton of North\South traffic and overpass or not West Dodge is still going to have a very very busy.
-
Brad
- Photographer
- Posts: 1036559
- Joined: Sat Feb 28, 2004 6:03 pm
- Location: Omaha, NE
Official: West Dodge Expressway
The 120 intersection is not going to be bad at all. 75% of the traffic that uses dodge will be up top on the expressway. The current 120th st design is horiable. Dodge at 120th st will have 2 left turn lanes 1 right turn land and 3 through lanes.
-
MTO
- City Council
- Posts: 7783
- Joined: Wed Mar 09, 2005 11:49 am
- Location: Dundee
Official: West Dodge Expressway
The elevated expressway is cool, fun, neat, fun to show off to out-of-towners, makes us feel like a bigger city etc.. But in the long term it would have been better to make it surface. I think the state wanted to have a halo project.
I also agree that those businesses should have been compensated; maybe they should sue and make the state pay for what they are doing.
One thing they need to reconstruct is those two loops on the west side of the Dodge I-680 interchange. It blows goat trying to get off their everyday!!! I just want to pull out my fiddy when I approach it. It’s hard to believe they left it like that for such an elaborate complex. K, I’m done now.
I also agree that those businesses should have been compensated; maybe they should sue and make the state pay for what they are doing.
One thing they need to reconstruct is those two loops on the west side of the Dodge I-680 interchange. It blows goat trying to get off their everyday!!! I just want to pull out my fiddy when I approach it. It’s hard to believe they left it like that for such an elaborate complex. K, I’m done now.
-
Brad
- Photographer
- Posts: 1036559
- Joined: Sat Feb 28, 2004 6:03 pm
- Location: Omaha, NE
Official: West Dodge Expressway
pkiphd
You need to look at the long term. When there was 4 loops, the traffic that was trying to get on the interstate was merging with the people getting off the interstate, that sucked. The loops and ramps situation will be so much better when the project is FINISHED, I know how much it sucks right now I use it everyday also, however I see how much progress they are making and study the maps and know it will be better in the future.
You need to look at the long term. When there was 4 loops, the traffic that was trying to get on the interstate was merging with the people getting off the interstate, that sucked. The loops and ramps situation will be so much better when the project is FINISHED, I know how much it sucks right now I use it everyday also, however I see how much progress they are making and study the maps and know it will be better in the future.
-
DTO Luv
- City Council
- Posts: 9644
- Joined: Sun Jun 06, 2004 4:22 pm
-
MTO
- City Council
- Posts: 7783
- Joined: Wed Mar 09, 2005 11:49 am
- Location: Dundee
Official: West Dodge Expressway
Oh I thought they where done with that part (the 2 west loops), and for the most part the whole interchange accept the n. side of Dodge Well I can’t wait to see how they are going rebuild, so there isn’t a loop dumping into another loop that is collecting.pkiphd
You need to look at the long term. When there was 4 loops, the traffic that was trying to get on the interstate was merging with the people getting off the interstate, that sucked. The loops and ramps situation will be so much better when the project is FINISHED, I know how much it sucks right now I use it everyday also, however I see how much progress they are making and study the maps and know it will be better in the future.
-
StreetsOfOmaha
- City Council
- Posts: 6854
- Joined: Sun Feb 08, 2004 4:46 pm
Official: West Dodge Expressway
Whoever decided to call the major streets in west Omaha "west [fill in the blank] road" is an absolute moron! It's so confusing for people who don't know where they are going.
"Ok, Uncle Bill, when you get to the interchange you're going to take east West Dodge Road, and even though you'll be going east, it's still called West Dodge Road. Ok? You'll be alright."
And on top of that, West Dodge Road shouldn't even be called "Dodge". It should be Cass Street, because that's what it curves over and turns into between 84th Street and 90th Street.
"Ok, Uncle Bill, when you get to the interchange you're going to take east West Dodge Road, and even though you'll be going east, it's still called West Dodge Road. Ok? You'll be alright."
And on top of that, West Dodge Road shouldn't even be called "Dodge". It should be Cass Street, because that's what it curves over and turns into between 84th Street and 90th Street.
-
Coyote
- City Council
- Posts: 34366
- Joined: Tue Nov 18, 2003 11:18 am
- Location: Aksarben Village
Official: West Dodge Expressway
I used to live on 232 N 129th St which was south of Dodge.
Our house was hit by lightning in the 70's - we called the fire department
and they spent 30 minutes in Candlewood (N of Dodge) trying to find us.
Dodge being the 100 block causes real problems when it turns into WDR
Our house was hit by lightning in the 70's - we called the fire department
and they spent 30 minutes in Candlewood (N of Dodge) trying to find us.
Dodge being the 100 block causes real problems when it turns into WDR
-
Jon
- Home Owners Association
- Posts: 58
- Joined: Wed Apr 21, 2004 12:13 pm
- Location: Omaha, NE
Official: West Dodge Expressway
Coyote - I'm in exactly the same boat. I'm 2 blocks north on 118th st, which also means I'm south of Dodge. What makes it worse, there's a house 3 houses away that's our same address but SOUTH of Dodge. That's some MAJOR confusion.
I always assumed the jogs were to keep them lined up with section roads.
I always assumed the jogs were to keep them lined up with section roads.
Got Talk?
HeartlandForums.com - Discussion forums for Omaha, Nebraska, and the Heartland.
Your Home On The Web
Homepage Webs
Now featuring a photo hosting package!
HeartlandForums.com - Discussion forums for Omaha, Nebraska, and the Heartland.
Your Home On The Web
Homepage Webs
Now featuring a photo hosting package!
-
DTO Luv
- City Council
- Posts: 9644
- Joined: Sun Jun 06, 2004 4:22 pm
-
eomaha
- County Board
- Posts: 4176
- Joined: Thu Nov 13, 2003 10:29 am
- Location: West Omaha
Official: West Dodge Expressway
I can't believe people are complaining about the street grid/naming situation in Omaha. There are FAR worse cities. Are you kidding me about driving east on a 'West' street??? There are cities which not only have 'west'... but 'east', 'north', and 'south'. And be happy our annexations have 'standardized' metro streets... you can go to many other metros comprised of numerous autonomous cities... and expect to see the same stretch of road change from one city to the next. By the way... I lived at 323 S 152nd Cir at one time... so I've had my fair share of free (albeit late) pizza's too. 
-
DTO Luv
- City Council
- Posts: 9644
- Joined: Sun Jun 06, 2004 4:22 pm
-
TitosBuritoBarn
- Planning Board
- Posts: 3275
- Joined: Mon Nov 08, 2004 7:08 pm
- Location: St. Louis
Official: West Dodge Expressway
I like how they have cardinal directions in the street names. It sounds....prettier. Having cardinal directions in street names really isn't that confusing if you don't try and make them confusing. Instead of saying "take east West Dodge Road" you could say "take West Dodge Road east." I'm pretty certain most people will gather that "west" is part of the street name. Many cities do this with their streets.
On the other hand, I dislike the usage of the word "road" in many of our western street names. Road, to me, comes off as rural. West Dodge Road is hardly rural in nature. I think they should scrap the word "road" in favor of "avenue" or "boulevard."
On the other hand, I dislike the usage of the word "road" in many of our western street names. Road, to me, comes off as rural. West Dodge Road is hardly rural in nature. I think they should scrap the word "road" in favor of "avenue" or "boulevard."
-
Swift
- Planning Board
- Posts: 2887
- Joined: Thu Oct 28, 2004 2:13 pm
- Location: NYC
Official: West Dodge Expressway
I agree with you about the word road. Though in the case of West Dodge Road it sounds good because there is a sort of quasi-alliteration going on there.
-
adam186
- Planning Board
- Posts: 2264
- Joined: Mon Sep 06, 2004 2:29 am
- Location: Omaha
Official: West Dodge Expressway
^Like Epply Airfield 
-
eomaha
- County Board
- Posts: 4176
- Joined: Thu Nov 13, 2003 10:29 am
- Location: West Omaha
Official: West Dodge Expressway
Oh brother.
-
almighty_tuna
- City Council
- Posts: 106375
- Joined: Tue Apr 13, 2004 1:34 pm
- Location: Somewhere between downtown and Colorado
Official: West Dodge Expressway
And East Eppley Airfield. Often times I can't find my hangar and end up somewhere in Iowa, which somehow is west of Iowa.
-
Raraavis
- Library Board
- Posts: 313
- Joined: Mon Jun 07, 2004 11:36 pm
Official: West Dodge Expressway
At least it's something unique. Being different isn't a bad thing.avanzee wrote:^Like Epply Airfield
-
icejammer
- County Board
- Posts: 3569
- Joined: Tue Oct 05, 2004 11:39 am
- Location: Council Bluffs
Official: West Dodge Expressway
For those wondering about the "West Dodge Road" moniker, even though it lines up with Cass Street, you'll have to go back to the early days of the Lincoln Highway (before it got relocated through Blair). The Lincoln Highway used to come down from Missouri Valley through Council Bluffs and across to Omaha, running down Dodge Street. As the Highway got to the west edge of Omaha, it had to jog to meet up with the existing section line road (which is Cass Street now). As Omaha pushed westward, that jog in the road eventually got smoothed out, but the main road was already there and to avoid confusion (this is conjecture on my part, but it seems pretty reasonable), the road retained the 'Dodge' moniker and hence West Dodge Road. And yes, West Dodge Road and Dodge Street coexist from about 79th to 84th.
-
MTO
- City Council
- Posts: 7783
- Joined: Wed Mar 09, 2005 11:49 am
- Location: Dundee
Official: West Dodge Expressway
Does anyone know what exactly they are doing on Dodge tonight? I heard they where closing it down to one lane for concrete overlay. Is that on Dodge itself up on the viaduct? Do you think it will be worth going out there and taking a gander?
-
DTO Luv
- City Council
- Posts: 9644
- Joined: Sun Jun 06, 2004 4:22 pm
Official: West Dodge Expressway
It was a |expletive| today. I haven't been there since most of the work has started but we had to go through it today and WB was down to one lane. I wouldn't have minded it so much if I was driving but my bumpkin country family was and they let everyone in front of us. They didn't understand you have to about run into the car in front of you to keep others from cutting in.
DTO
-
MTO
- City Council
- Posts: 7783
- Joined: Wed Mar 09, 2005 11:49 am
- Location: Dundee
Official: West Dodge Expressway
LMFAOmy bumpkin country family
-
Coyote
- City Council
- Posts: 34366
- Joined: Tue Nov 18, 2003 11:18 am
- Location: Aksarben Village
Official: West Dodge Expressway
Dude. When are you finally going to get your license?DTO Luv wrote:I wouldn't have minded it so much if I was driving but my bumpkin country family was
-
DTO Luv
- City Council
- Posts: 9644
- Joined: Sun Jun 06, 2004 4:22 pm
Official: West Dodge Expressway
As soon as I pay Iowa the $790 I owe them (this week or next week) and then KC and MO another $356 and if I get this job I went to today I should have it back before my birthday at the end of the month. That would be the best present ever.
DTO
-
MTO
- City Council
- Posts: 7783
- Joined: Wed Mar 09, 2005 11:49 am
- Location: Dundee
Official: West Dodge Expressway
Oh I didn’t know Iowa and Missouri had RED LIGHT CAMERAS. LOL
-
DTO Luv
- City Council
- Posts: 9644
- Joined: Sun Jun 06, 2004 4:22 pm
Official: West Dodge Expressway
They don't. State Patrol.
It was cool seeing that big stretch of upper section being completed. It looked huge. It even wowed the Bumpkins.
It was cool seeing that big stretch of upper section being completed. It looked huge. It even wowed the Bumpkins.
DTO
-
almighty_tuna
- City Council
- Posts: 106375
- Joined: Tue Apr 13, 2004 1:34 pm
- Location: Somewhere between downtown and Colorado
Official: West Dodge Expressway
Yes, it will support multiple combines simultaneously! ;)
-
DTO Luv
- City Council
- Posts: 9644
- Joined: Sun Jun 06, 2004 4:22 pm
Official: West Dodge Expressway
I told them it floated.
I know it was brought up on here before but when the EXPW gets to 120th St. it doesn't seem like it's going to clear the hill. I would like to see W. Dodge just get a label like the North and South Freeways. It's still a "street" but it looks more like a freeway and if it looks like a duck and smells like a duck...
I know it was brought up on here before but when the EXPW gets to 120th St. it doesn't seem like it's going to clear the hill. I would like to see W. Dodge just get a label like the North and South Freeways. It's still a "street" but it looks more like a freeway and if it looks like a duck and smells like a duck...
DTO
-
MTO
- City Council
- Posts: 7783
- Joined: Wed Mar 09, 2005 11:49 am
- Location: Dundee
Official: West Dodge Expressway
Have we gotten on here an official response why W. Dodge does not have a Highway/Freeway designation?