www.ketv.com wrote:A massive sinkhole near 16th and Grace streets is forcing city crews to consider the closure of nearby businesses and, if the hole keeps growing, the closure of 16th Street itself.
The 20-foot deep hole started as a crack in the pavement in January.
Water seeped into the crack and pulled soil into the sewer, which began expanding. The sewer eventually started to leak and, lacking support, Grace Street sank.
There's nothing the city can do about it for months, and officials said they expect the hole to grow.
If this is an old brick sewer that collapsed, it seems it would already be slated for replacement in the sewer separation project. I wonder if they would be able to do the full replacement on this section sooner, even if they do have to temporarily connect back into the original sewer at both ends of the block.
icejammer wrote:I can pretty much guarantee you if this were somewhere in west Omaha, it would be fixed within the week.
Yesterday on my morning West-O commute I saw a bunch of new road projects getting started. I kinda wondered why they were tearing out perfectly good roads in West-O when a 20 foot crater isn't getting any attention.
icejammer wrote:I can pretty much guarantee you if this were somewhere in west Omaha, it would be fixed within the week.
Yesterday on my morning West-O commute I saw a bunch of new road projects getting started. I kinda wondered why they were tearing out perfectly good roads in West-O when a 20 foot crater isn't getting any attention.
Because the West O roads get more traffic and don't involve replacing an entire sewer?
icejammer wrote:I can pretty much guarantee you if this were somewhere in west Omaha, it would be fixed within the week.
Yesterday on my morning West-O commute I saw a bunch of new road projects getting started. I kinda wondered why they were tearing out perfectly good roads in West-O when a 20 foot crater isn't getting any attention.
Isn't this the project that was "shovel ready" but then got held up over a year with the "needed yesterday stimulus plan?" If so, those dollars cannot be shifted.
TechnicalDisaster wrote:
Yesterday on my morning West-O commute I saw a bunch of new road projects getting started. I kinda wondered why they were tearing out perfectly good roads in West-O when a 20 foot crater isn't getting any attention.
Fo real! Drove by our lovely sinkhole friend yesterday and it just keeps getting bigger. It looks far more than twenty feed wide now - it takes up two whole lanes and completely destroyed an access road into whatever business is is that has a huge lot on the east side of the road.
icejammer wrote:I can pretty much guarantee you if this were somewhere in west Omaha, it would be fixed within the week.
Yesterday on my morning West-O commute I saw a bunch of new road projects getting started. I kinda wondered why they were tearing out perfectly good roads in West-O when a 20 foot crater isn't getting any attention.
Because the West O roads get more traffic and don't involve replacing an entire sewer?
Congested morning traffic isn't bad for business. Having your business fall into a growing sinkhole is bad for business. I would much rather go without a new turn lane for another year than let an entire intersection and business fall into an abyss. Just my opinion though.
TechnicalDisaster wrote:
Congested morning traffic isn't bad for business. Having your business fall into a growing sinkhole is bad for business. I would much rather go without a new turn lane for another year than let an entire intersection and business fall into an abyss. Just my opinion though.
You radical!
(Not to mention the brand new townhouses across the street - good luck selling people on those with the huge hole across the street. The apartment building that's being renovated up north probably has some unhappy owners too.)
As a side note, the north west corner of 16th & Farnam is sinking, and has been for at least the past 2 years (this past winter it got really bad)... I've brought it up to the city a couple of times that something should be done to stabilize the corner but the city isn't interested in doing anything until something happens with 16th St. I even mentioned that it would be really bad publicity for the city/MAT if a bus fell into an underground sinkhole, but apparently the city is all about deferred maintenance instead of fixing an issue before it causes a huge problem.
And people complain about a few potholes in the streets! I don't see why they can't make some temporary repairs; even doing some light excavation and driving some sheetpiling to channel the flow would slow the erosion.
The good news is it probably won't get any deeper than the Missouri River.
Seriously though, have they ever given a good explanation as to why this cannot be fixed sooner? All I've heard is "it's rainy season now." LAME! It's not like they're trying to cap a gusher 5000' under water in the Gulf of Mexico.
He said "They are some big, ugly red brick buildings" ...and then they were gone.
This this is getting HUGE. And is gonna cost tax payers in the MILLIONS! Yet water is still flowing into this thing. Yesterday I drove by and got some photos.
Looking north on 16th street.
Looking towards downtown.
A newer sink hole is forming. The entire street is caving in.
What a mess.
Look closely. There is sewer water flowing out out from that pipe. What a mess.
That's all.
Allan_Love_Jr wrote:Isn't the city going to fix it anytime soon?
There's one backhoe on the sight, but as of today at 5:00, sunny, beautiful weather no one was anywhere near.
It's within about twenty feet of houses and 30 or so of interstate printing now. For shame, Omaha!
Allan_Love_Jr wrote:Isn't the city going to fix it anytime soon?
There's one backhoe on the sight, but as of today at 5:00, sunny, beautiful weather no one was anywhere near.
It's within about twenty feet of houses and 30 or so of interstate printing now. For shame, Omaha!
Allan_Love_Jr wrote:Isn't the city going to fix it anytime soon?
There's one backhoe on the sight, but as of today at 5:00, sunny, beautiful weather no one was anywhere near.
It's within about twenty feet of houses and 30 or so of interstate printing now. For shame, Omaha!
Allan_Love_Jr wrote:Isn't the city going to fix it anytime soon?
There's one backhoe on the sight, but as of today at 5:00, sunny, beautiful weather no one was anywhere near.
It's within about twenty feet of houses and 30 or so of interstate printing now. For shame, Omaha!
The hole is still growing? Wow.
Two holes, now!
OMG! I have got to see this on Thursday. The big question I have is. As this thing gets bigger. Where is all of the debris going? That thing just eats more and more. It's like a giant that won't stop eating.