Reading through this project in the city council minutes, I get the feeling that the city must have added more Omaha by Design codes into city law. This project seems better than Coventry or even Aksarben Village. Interestingly this seems to be a more middle class type development.
The neighbors are (surprise) unexcited about this development. If I read into their comments it leads me to believe that there are concerns about a lower class residential development bringing down the existing industrial land values....hmmmm I am at a loss....The design of this development with buildings properly addressing both Ida and Irvington streets should create a better neighborhood than many of the nearby existing neighborhoods. Many of buildings are 3 stories with retail or office on the ground floor and apartments above.
I loved this quote from the planning department
The buildings along Irvington Road should be moved closer together and provide alley-like breaks between each of the buildings that provides access from Irvington Road into the development.
Again, I think they are holding this development to a higher level of standards than what they did with Coventry so I have to hope that means that some of the new ObD codes are in place.
Cool Development!!!
Last edited by midtown charlie on Mon Feb 05, 2007 11:08 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Sure it would be better if it were more mixed income but hey does anyone in the city complain when someone builds a massive apartment complex....I get the feeling they don't as long as it can be proved that the dwellers will never interact with the surrounding neighborhoods. Unlike current apartment developments this actually contains office and retail and is not insular like most apartment developments!! On-street diagonal parking!!! Great project!!! This shows how the new design standards can be used for all income levels!!!
Hearthstone has their Glenmoor housing development starting up right across Ida street to the north of this development. The streets are in and there are 3 or 4 model houses up plus an sales office.
I'm starting to admire the Irvington area more now. When I was teen, they just started building a few things there -- like Cherry Hills, FDR, and Starwood. Now, it is starting to take on a cleaner, crisper look with the new homes being built around the Irvington exit, and I like the white-colored buildings of the Cherry Hills area.
I can get pushed out because I'm "too much" for some. Then, an observer of me comes suddenly swooping in to "fill my shoes." People are always more accepting of the new one, because their feathers aren't truly ruffled by them. (Yawn) I can count on it every time.
They have schematics now for this project on the attached city council agenda. Looks cool to me. Ground floor retail and 2 floors of apartments. Nice project.
This will definitely change this area along with the housing dev that is going up across Ida from this plot.
I have a question does anyone know what the complex is that is right across Sorensen Parkway to the east. It has this long cement wall that surrounds the property but no sign at the main entrance off of Sorensen saying what it is.
First Data's Backup facility. No one works there just one security guard. Occasionally an IT guy or two go up there. Its there in case something happens. It has all is own generators and such.
I noticed this weekend that there has been a lot of earth moved on the hillside that stretches north from the new Glenmoor division to I-680.
It looks like Hearthstone is planning for the subdivision to cover the whole hillside.
This is across the creek from Somerset Park.
They're starting to build at this location now. It looks to be a small office right in the center.
Some of the links posted on here are old and broken. What else is going to be at this location besides apartments? Or is that it? Will there be office space?
They have been working on this site since very early spring --- I think the wet weather has caused some delays as it turned the site into a sea of mud.
A blood stain remained on the sidewalk leading to apartment A at the Irvington Heights apartments. The complex is a collection of brick apartments that are set up in a townhouse-like arrangement.
Apparently the perpetrators, who have since been caught, broke into the apartment just to wait for the pizza delivery... made off with all of an estimated $25.
Shoot for the Moon... if you miss, you'll land among the stars.
They have been working on two more apartment buildings since last Spring that lie along Irvington Road. These are just up the street from Mangia Italiana's (who is also working on a huge eat in addition). As I run by there every once in awhile these two looked different that the others. It looked like the bottom floor along the street was being set up for commercial openings. When I ran by yesterday they definitely are commercial openings as the glass fronts were in some of them. It will be interesting to see what goes in.
I'm glad that exit is really developing. Same with the Cornhusker Highway/I-80 exit down near Gretna/Millard. It is nice seeing new stuff around once desolate exits...!
I'm impressed with how those look. They sure beat the typical suburban isolationist apartment complexes that are hidden behind a moat of parking and cul-de-sacs.
Uffda wrote:I wouldn't call this part of the I-680 Intersection as it is about 3/4 mile away-
Oh, I guess you're right. Where is it at exactly? I was just in Irvington this evening. I agree with Seth, I like those. I would spot those instantly, but haven't seen those yet.
I think of that whole area around Irvington to involve that exit area. As a teen, I used to work near there, and I had to get off that exit. That was back when nothing was there, except FDR built its new center there, along with that "Starwood" development. However, that area has really taken off, and I like how there are new stores, and developments popping up everywhere around there. I like how they extended Sorensen Parkway through Irvington, and there are new subdivisions filling in those fields inside I-680. It feels so much nicer and organized over there now.
Seth wrote:I'm impressed with how those look. They sure beat the typical suburban isolationist apartment complexes that are hidden behind a moat of parking and cul-de-sacs.
Those aren't actually going to be retail spaces at street level are they? Probably the laundromat/complex offices or something? They certainly look a lot nicer than those Triton town homes.
Shoot for the Moon... if you miss, you'll land among the stars.
Not sure there is no sign that says they are for rent or whatever. Although I think this is too much space for offices or laundromat. Also these two buildings are a completely different design than the other rest of Irvington Crossing.
I was just out at Mangia Italiana and drove past Irvington Heights. Nothing ever did materialize there, did it? The apartments are there, but that lower level facing Irvington Road never had any retail move in that I can recall. They've been vacant for a decade.
ChadJK wrote: Fri Nov 01, 2024 1:20 pm
I was just out at Mangia Italiana and drove past Irvington Heights. Nothing ever did materialize there, did it? The apartments are there, but that lower level facing Irvington Road never had any retail move in that I can recall. They've been vacant for a decade.
I look over there every times I go to Mangia and I don't remember ever seeing anything in there. Its too bad too because it looks nice.
ChadJK wrote: Fri Nov 01, 2024 1:20 pm
I was just out at Mangia Italiana and drove past Irvington Heights. Nothing ever did materialize there, did it? The apartments are there, but that lower level facing Irvington Road never had any retail move in that I can recall. They've been vacant for a decade.
Another year has flown by and still not a single retail business...
ChadJK wrote: Fri Nov 01, 2024 1:20 pm
I was just out at Mangia Italiana and drove past Irvington Heights. Nothing ever did materialize there, did it? The apartments are there, but that lower level facing Irvington Road never had any retail move in that I can recall. They've been vacant for a decade.
Another year has flown by and still not a single retail business...
Reminds me of the small strip mall that was built next to the Lighting Place on 132nd & L (just north of the intersection). It was empty for what seemed like 5 years after it was built. Then they finally ended up with a vape store or something in it. I drive by it every once in awhile and it's still not full. But I guess if you can afford to own retail space that doesn't get filled up, you're doing pretty well for yourself!
ChadJK wrote: Fri Nov 01, 2024 1:20 pm
I was just out at Mangia Italiana and drove past Irvington Heights. Nothing ever did materialize there, did it? The apartments are there, but that lower level facing Irvington Road never had any retail move in that I can recall. They've been vacant for a decade.
Another year has flown by and still not a single retail business...
That area along Irvington Rd south of Ida seems to only get traffic from people that need it to get where they’re going. It isn’t really a shortcut of any sort since most people use Ida, and you can’t really see the storefronts from there. Only time I drove that road was to get to Amcon, where I was working.
EricHaley wrote: Tue Oct 21, 2025 5:56 pm
That area along Irvington Rd south of Ida seems to only get traffic from people that need it to get where they’re going. It isn’t really a shortcut of any sort since most people use Ida, and you can’t really see the storefronts from there. Only time I drove that road was to get to Amcon, where I was working.
Fair Point. The only reason I've ever been on that road is to get to Mangia Italiana.