Charleston's (76th and Dodge)
-
Stargazer
- County Board
- Posts: 4182
- Joined: Sat Dec 09, 2006 5:06 pm
- Location: Bennington
Charleston's (76th and Dodge)
although I can't imagine Staple's could possibly last much longer... I mean how long can they go day in and day out with no customers. There's never anyone there but a handful of people.
Shoot for the Moon... if you miss, you'll land among the stars.
-
Brad
- Photographer
- Posts: 1036582
- Joined: Sun Feb 29, 2004 12:03 am
- Location: Omaha, NE
Charleston's (76th and Dodge)
I have wondered the same thing, however Office Depot closed about a month ago on 72nd by the Mart so may be they have had a bump in traffic?Stargazer wrote:although I can't imagine Staple's could possibly last much longer... I mean how long can they go day in and day out with no customers. There's never anyone there but a handful of people.

Omaha Skyline Photos, Omaha Aerial Photos, and More.
Website: www.bradwilliamsphotography.com
Facebook: www.facebook.com/bradwilliamsphotography
Twitter: www.twitter.com/bradwphoto
Instagram: www.instagram.com/bradwilliamsphotography
YouTube: www.youtube.com/@bradwilliamsphoto
-
ShawJ
- Parks & Recreation
- Posts: 1573
- Joined: Wed Jan 31, 2007 11:58 pm
Charleston's (76th and Dodge)
Unless they go to Office Max on 70th street, which you can add to the "how the heck are you still open" category.Brad wrote:I have wondered the same thing, however Office Depot closed about a month ago on 72nd by the Mart so may be they have had a bump in traffic?Stargazer wrote:although I can't imagine Staple's could possibly last much longer... I mean how long can they go day in and day out with no customers. There's never anyone there but a handful of people.
-
jessep28
- Planning Board
- Posts: 2819
- Joined: Wed Sep 03, 2008 9:10 pm
- Location: Omaha Metro Area
Charleston's (76th and Dodge)
Most office supply stores are virtual ghost towns except maybe during back to school season. I'm sure most of their business is catalog fulfillment and delivery.
Verbum Domini Manet in Aeternum
-
nebugeater
- City Council
- Posts: 110972
- Joined: Wed Aug 04, 2004 11:07 pm
- Location: Gretna NE
Charleston's (76th and Dodge)
From the 10/19/12 OWH
http://www.omaha.com/article/20121019/LIVING/710199966
http://www.omaha.com/article/20121019/LIVING/710199966
Charleston’s is coming to midtown Omaha.
The restaurant is opening a second location just west of 72nd and Dodge Streets, in the former Old Country Buffet spot.
For the record NEBUGEATER does not equal BUGEATER !!!!!!!
-
BRoss
- IT Director
- Posts: 10003386
- Joined: Sat Aug 05, 2006 12:39 am
- Location: West Central Omaha
Charleston's (76th and Dodge)
Uh, that is not midtown. If anything, they should call it central Omaha. The OWH should know better.
-
Brad
- Photographer
- Posts: 1036582
- Joined: Sun Feb 29, 2004 12:03 am
- Location: Omaha, NE
Charleston's (76th and Dodge)
Lots of dumpsters outside and it looks like the inside has been gutted!

Omaha Skyline Photos, Omaha Aerial Photos, and More.
Website: www.bradwilliamsphotography.com
Facebook: www.facebook.com/bradwilliamsphotography
Twitter: www.twitter.com/bradwphoto
Instagram: www.instagram.com/bradwilliamsphotography
YouTube: www.youtube.com/@bradwilliamsphoto
-
bigredmed
- Parks & Recreation
- Posts: 1897
- Joined: Mon Jun 06, 2011 5:45 pm
- Location: Omaha Metro Area
Charleston's (76th and Dodge)
Midtown is an expression of the central area of the city. Some people here are trying to hijack it to a describe the Med Center to Mutual area.HR Paperstacks wrote:Uh, that is not midtown. If anything, they should call it central Omaha. The OWH should know better.
-
iamjacobm
- City Council
- Posts: 10818
- Joined: Sat Apr 10, 2010 11:52 am
- Location: Chicago
Charleston's (76th and Dodge)
The way it was written in the article is appropriate. If you noticed they called it midtown, with a lower case m, just means the middle of town. The area of Midtown, with an uppercase, is a designated proper noun for a specific area of the city that doesn't move no matter how far west the city goes.bigredmed wrote:Midtown is an expression of the central area of the city. Some people here are trying to hijack it to a describe the Med Center to Mutual area.HR Paperstacks wrote:Uh, that is not midtown. If anything, they should call it central Omaha. The OWH should know better.
I do think it is misleading though, something like center city would probably be a better description.
-
iamjacobm
- City Council
- Posts: 10818
- Joined: Sat Apr 10, 2010 11:52 am
- Location: Chicago
Charleston's (76th and Dodge)
On that note this could probably be made board official.Anonymous wrote:Midtown, more like "who cares", amirite?
-
nativeomahan
- County Board
- Posts: 6013
- Joined: Fri Nov 12, 2004 8:46 pm
- Location: Omaha and Puerto Vallarta
Charleston's (76th and Dodge)
Workers were removing a portion of the front facade of OCB last Saturday.
-
BPHusker
- Home Owners Association
- Posts: 138
- Joined: Sun Feb 07, 2010 8:52 pm
- Location: Omaha Metro Area
Charleston's (76th and Dodge)
I went to Best Buy last night and the whole thing was gutted.
-
charlie123
- Home Owners Association
- Posts: 108
- Joined: Wed Sep 01, 2010 6:52 pm
- Location: Omaha Metro Area
Charleston's (76th and Dodge)
I just heard the building was sold to someone else (a different real-estate investor) and now Charleston's is out. They may even tear the former OCB building down.
-
nativeomahan
- County Board
- Posts: 6013
- Joined: Fri Nov 12, 2004 8:46 pm
- Location: Omaha and Puerto Vallarta
Charleston's (76th and Dodge)
I can't make any sense of that. The OCB "building" isn't its own building, for one thing. It is part of the ToysR Us building. The toy store occupies 75% of the space. If the building is fully leased it would make no sense in this economy to tear it down. Just my 2 cents.charlie123 wrote:I just heard the building was sold to someone else (a different real-estate investor) and now Charleston's is out. They may even tear the former OCB building down.
-
Brad
- Photographer
- Posts: 1036582
- Joined: Sun Feb 29, 2004 12:03 am
- Location: Omaha, NE
Charleston's (76th and Dodge)
Apparently its not dead...
Charleston's makes progress on Dodge Street location
http://www.omaha.com/article/20130227/M ... t-location
Charleston's makes progress on Dodge Street location
http://www.omaha.com/article/20130227/M ... t-location

Omaha Skyline Photos, Omaha Aerial Photos, and More.
Website: www.bradwilliamsphotography.com
Facebook: www.facebook.com/bradwilliamsphotography
Twitter: www.twitter.com/bradwphoto
Instagram: www.instagram.com/bradwilliamsphotography
YouTube: www.youtube.com/@bradwilliamsphoto
-
Brad
- Photographer
- Posts: 1036582
- Joined: Sun Feb 29, 2004 12:03 am
- Location: Omaha, NE
Charleston's (76th and Dodge)
Sign is up.

Omaha Skyline Photos, Omaha Aerial Photos, and More.
Website: www.bradwilliamsphotography.com
Facebook: www.facebook.com/bradwilliamsphotography
Twitter: www.twitter.com/bradwphoto
Instagram: www.instagram.com/bradwilliamsphotography
YouTube: www.youtube.com/@bradwilliamsphoto
-
garyomaha
- Home Owners Association
- Posts: 239
- Joined: Thu Jun 05, 2008 4:53 pm
- Location: Omaha Metro Area
Charleston's (76th and Dodge)
Now open.
-
RNcyanide
- Planning Board
- Posts: 2778
- Joined: Thu Mar 28, 2013 3:37 pm
- Location: Boston
Charleston's (76th and Dodge)
A dumpy looking toy store with a steakhouse grafted on the end. Who would have thought...
When fortune smiles on something as violent and ugly as revenge, it seems proof like no other that not only does God exist, you're doing his will.
The Bride
The Bride
-
garyomaha
- Home Owners Association
- Posts: 239
- Joined: Thu Jun 05, 2008 4:53 pm
- Location: Omaha Metro Area
Charleston's (76th and Dodge)
Yeah, that, plus, Chuck E Cheese is right around the corner. It wouldn't be quite as bad if the area around the original Charleston's wasn't so classy.RNcyanide wrote:A dumpy looking toy store with a steakhouse grafted on the end.
-
nativeomahan
- County Board
- Posts: 6013
- Joined: Fri Nov 12, 2004 8:46 pm
- Location: Omaha and Puerto Vallarta
Charleston's (76th and Dodge)
You can't see the kids store from the restaurant. I suspect they will do well. This is a very successful chain.
-
RNcyanide
- Planning Board
- Posts: 2778
- Joined: Thu Mar 28, 2013 3:37 pm
- Location: Boston
Charleston's (76th and Dodge)
i dont know, i think theyre going to have a lot of competition from chucky cheeses...
When fortune smiles on something as violent and ugly as revenge, it seems proof like no other that not only does God exist, you're doing his will.
The Bride
The Bride
-
jessep28
- Planning Board
- Posts: 2819
- Joined: Wed Sep 03, 2008 9:10 pm
- Location: Omaha Metro Area
-
Brad
- Photographer
- Posts: 1036582
- Joined: Sun Feb 29, 2004 12:03 am
- Location: Omaha, NE
Charleston's (76th and Dodge)
I agree, they did a good job with the remodel.nativeomahan wrote:You can't see the kids store from the restaurant. I suspect they will do well. This is a very successful chain.

Omaha Skyline Photos, Omaha Aerial Photos, and More.
Website: www.bradwilliamsphotography.com
Facebook: www.facebook.com/bradwilliamsphotography
Twitter: www.twitter.com/bradwphoto
Instagram: www.instagram.com/bradwilliamsphotography
YouTube: www.youtube.com/@bradwilliamsphoto
-
Coyote
- City Council
- Posts: 34366
- Joined: Tue Nov 18, 2003 5:18 pm
- Yahoo Messenger: jestcoyote
- Location: Aksarben Village
Charleston's (76th and Dodge)
Looks OK from the south - even though it has a huge crappy parking lot right out front (great view of Dodge Street):

But the West Side story is different...


But the West Side story is different...

-
guitarguy
- Parks & Recreation
- Posts: 1296
- Joined: Thu Sep 27, 2007 6:39 am
Charleston's (76th and Dodge)
I think if they went with a different background color it wouldn't be so bad but that color already looks terrible and seems like it doesn't even compliment the lettering. yuck..
-
nativeomahan
- County Board
- Posts: 6013
- Joined: Fri Nov 12, 2004 8:46 pm
- Location: Omaha and Puerto Vallarta
Charleston's (76th and Dodge)
Smell sells food. Driving down Dodge Street the smell of steak is intoxicating. We may try them for dinner tonight.
-
TitosBuritoBarn
- Planning Board
- Posts: 3278
- Joined: Tue Nov 09, 2004 1:08 am
- Location: St. Louis
Charleston's (76th and Dodge)
That is an incredibly odd location choice for the chain.
"Video game violence is not a new problem. Who could forget in the wake of SimCity how children everywhere took up urban planning." - Stephen Colbert
-
nativeomahan
- County Board
- Posts: 6013
- Joined: Fri Nov 12, 2004 8:46 pm
- Location: Omaha and Puerto Vallarta
Charleston's (76th and Dodge)
75th and Dodge is odd? Why?
-
RNcyanide
- Planning Board
- Posts: 2778
- Joined: Thu Mar 28, 2013 3:37 pm
- Location: Boston
Charleston's (76th and Dodge)
Just because of what's around it. For a little bit classier of a restaurant, it's grafted awkwardly onto an old Toys R Us store in an ancient strip mall. It's just weird.nativeomahan wrote:75th and Dodge is odd? Why?
When fortune smiles on something as violent and ugly as revenge, it seems proof like no other that not only does God exist, you're doing his will.
The Bride
The Bride
-
garyomaha
- Home Owners Association
- Posts: 239
- Joined: Thu Jun 05, 2008 4:53 pm
- Location: Omaha Metro Area
Charleston's (76th and Dodge)
Bingo! Agreed. However, once you get inside (provided you don't look out the window at BK across the street, sigh) it's definitely the Charleston's atmosphere.RNcyanide wrote: Just because of what's around it. For a little bit classier of a restaurant, it's grafted awkwardly onto an old Toys R Us store in an ancient strip mall. It's just weird.
-
BRoss
- IT Director
- Posts: 10003386
- Joined: Sat Aug 05, 2006 12:39 am
- Location: West Central Omaha
Charleston's (76th and Dodge)
Well of course. It was about two rival gangs in NY. Very hard to compare to this building.Coyote wrote:But the West Side story is different...

-
nativeomahan
- County Board
- Posts: 6013
- Joined: Fri Nov 12, 2004 8:46 pm
- Location: Omaha and Puerto Vallarta
Charleston's (76th and Dodge)
I think it is a fantastic location. There are very few modern, moderately upscale restaurants within a mile or two of that area. The traffic heading west on Dodge in the evening should guarantee that it is busy every weeknight for Happy Hour. Weekends should take care of themselves.
-
garyomaha
- Home Owners Association
- Posts: 239
- Joined: Thu Jun 05, 2008 4:53 pm
- Location: Omaha Metro Area
Charleston's (76th and Dodge)
I agree that it's a good area yet an odd combination of neighbors, at least compared to the Charleston's we all know from the...er...west side. Maybe the Charleston's locations in other cities more closely match the 76th and Dodge one, and the original one in Omaha was the fluke? (I've seen Ruth's Chris...oh please please open one of them in Omaha some day...in all sorts of neighborhoods.)
-
GetUrban
- Planning Board
- Posts: 2648
- Joined: Sun Nov 23, 2008 9:07 pm
- Location: Omaha
Charleston's (76th and Dodge)
I totally agree it's a good location.......Plus, there are actually still people who live within a couple of miles too, not just passers-by...contrary to popular belief.nativeomahan wrote:I think it is a fantastic location. There are very few modern, moderately upscale restaurants within a mile or two of that area. The traffic heading west on Dodge in the evening should guarantee that it is busy every weeknight for Happy Hour. Weekends should take care of themselves.
He said "They are some big, ugly red brick buildings"
...and then they were gone.
...and then they were gone.
-
Brad
- Photographer
- Posts: 1036582
- Joined: Sun Feb 29, 2004 12:03 am
- Location: Omaha, NE
Charleston's (76th and Dodge)
Dining review: New Charleston's matches tempo of old
http://www.omaha.com/article/20131206/G ... mpo-of-old
http://www.omaha.com/article/20131206/G ... mpo-of-old
Omaha World-Herald wrote:But the vibe is cooler in this Charleston's, more appropriate for both the area and the customer base it's trying to attract. It's got lots of natural light, an impressive bar and an open kitchen. Both times I was there, it was packed with midtowners. It's clearly already gelling with the east side of the city.

Omaha Skyline Photos, Omaha Aerial Photos, and More.
Website: www.bradwilliamsphotography.com
Facebook: www.facebook.com/bradwilliamsphotography
Twitter: www.twitter.com/bradwphoto
Instagram: www.instagram.com/bradwilliamsphotography
YouTube: www.youtube.com/@bradwilliamsphoto
-
garyomaha
- Home Owners Association
- Posts: 239
- Joined: Thu Jun 05, 2008 4:53 pm
- Location: Omaha Metro Area
Charleston's (76th and Dodge)
The original Omaha Charleston's has been there only 14 years?? I could have sworn I've been going there longer than that.
Same food at the new location, yes, but (thus far in our experience) the service is just a notch lower at the new place. I thought the service at the original was about the best I've experienced in Omaha but can't say the same about 76 & Dodge.
Same food at the new location, yes, but (thus far in our experience) the service is just a notch lower at the new place. I thought the service at the original was about the best I've experienced in Omaha but can't say the same about 76 & Dodge.
-
nebugeater
- City Council
- Posts: 110972
- Joined: Wed Aug 04, 2004 11:07 pm
- Location: Gretna NE
Charleston's (76th and Dodge)
garyomaha wrote:The original Omaha Charleston's has been there only 14 years?? I could have sworn I've been going there longer than that.
Same food at the new location, yes, but (thus far in our experience) the service is just a notch lower at the new place. I thought the service at the original was about the best I've experienced in Omaha but can't say the same about 76 & Dodge.
14 years seems about right. I moved back this area in the spring of 1999 and I am near positive that it opened not too long aget moving back here.
For the record NEBUGEATER does not equal BUGEATER !!!!!!!
-
Brad
- Photographer
- Posts: 1036582
- Joined: Sun Feb 29, 2004 12:03 am
- Location: Omaha, NE
Charleston's (76th and Dodge)
We went to the new Charlestons last weekend. I was surprised by how it felt in there, nice comfortable and cozy. Looking at the place from the outside, I thought it was going to be huge, but it didn't really seam that way. Place was packed! Service was good! They take your number and text you when your table is ready. You can also watch the "line" on your phone too!
Baked Potato Soup

Oven Roasted Chicken:

Chicken Fired Steak

Baked Potato Soup

Oven Roasted Chicken:

Chicken Fired Steak


Omaha Skyline Photos, Omaha Aerial Photos, and More.
Website: www.bradwilliamsphotography.com
Facebook: www.facebook.com/bradwilliamsphotography
Twitter: www.twitter.com/bradwphoto
Instagram: www.instagram.com/bradwilliamsphotography
YouTube: www.youtube.com/@bradwilliamsphoto
-
Busguy2010
- City Council
- Posts: 7333
- Joined: Sun Apr 10, 2011 12:32 am
- Location: North Central Omaha
Re: Charleston's (76th and Dodge)
Does anybody else find it ridiculous that Charelston's commercial refers to 76th and Dodge as "Midtown"?
Oap, Guess I should have read previous posts.
I still think it's stupid though. They're basically hijacking the "Midtown" name for the benefit of the restaurant. I don't think anybody refers to the center of our city as midtown except Charleston's.
Oap, Guess I should have read previous posts.
I still think it's stupid though. They're basically hijacking the "Midtown" name for the benefit of the restaurant. I don't think anybody refers to the center of our city as midtown except Charleston's.