And guys... while you sit on your barren parking lot waiting for that 500 foot hotel to come along (remember it's 3,000 residents, not 30,000)... I'd rather have a nice picnic with my family, before adjourning over to the Rose for a program. Grass can always be built on. Plan for tomorrow, not decades from now (I'm sure First National will re-examine use of it's public space across the street from it's new tower years down the road as well).
WallStreet Tower Omaha
-
eomaha
- County Board
- Posts: 4176
- Joined: Thu Nov 13, 2003 10:29 am
- Location: West Omaha
WallStreet Tower Omaha
Wow, my daddy must have been in the wrong business. 
And guys... while you sit on your barren parking lot waiting for that 500 foot hotel to come along (remember it's 3,000 residents, not 30,000)... I'd rather have a nice picnic with my family, before adjourning over to the Rose for a program. Grass can always be built on. Plan for tomorrow, not decades from now (I'm sure First National will re-examine use of it's public space across the street from it's new tower years down the road as well).
And guys... while you sit on your barren parking lot waiting for that 500 foot hotel to come along (remember it's 3,000 residents, not 30,000)... I'd rather have a nice picnic with my family, before adjourning over to the Rose for a program. Grass can always be built on. Plan for tomorrow, not decades from now (I'm sure First National will re-examine use of it's public space across the street from it's new tower years down the road as well).
-
DTO Luv
- City Council
- Posts: 9644
- Joined: Sun Jun 06, 2004 4:22 pm
WallStreet Tower Omaha
Reguarding NNG, I don't think it would do well as residetial. It's way to isolated from everything else DT and the outside is kind of ugly. Until the DT development starts spreading more west I don't think this building will be used much or at all.
DTO
-
Swift
- Planning Board
- Posts: 2887
- Joined: Thu Oct 28, 2004 2:13 pm
- Location: NYC
WallStreet Tower Omaha
That's what my dad said (the distance from DT not the ugly thing). I keep trying to convince him though that this would be a great place for apartments for Creighton kids and the top floors could be great for condos for the discerning art lover due to its proximity to Joslyn.
-
DTO Luv
- City Council
- Posts: 9644
- Joined: Sun Jun 06, 2004 4:22 pm
WallStreet Tower Omaha
It would still need more around it though. That's why I'm not to worried about this site being considered for the KC guys project. Oh and the KC people said this Townsend guy gets what he wants done so yay for that.
DTO
-
eomaha
- County Board
- Posts: 4176
- Joined: Thu Nov 13, 2003 10:29 am
- Location: West Omaha
WallStreet Tower Omaha
That is so sad to suggest ... it is located across the street from Joslyn and Central High... the Rose, Omaha Children's Museum and Liberty Elementary are right down 20th. You throw in my green space (and Omaha by Design's proposals http://www.eomaha.com/gallery/develop/117/ )... and this is an area just waiting to explode for -urban families-. I'd sooner live here than North Downtown (which frankly has a long ways to go, and remains significantly more separated from downtown today).
-
Swift
- Planning Board
- Posts: 2887
- Joined: Thu Oct 28, 2004 2:13 pm
- Location: NYC
WallStreet Tower Omaha
You do a little revamping of the aesthetics of the place, through in a little upscale resturant or shopping for those Joslynites (a Channel store anyone?) and that place would take off. Sell the space behind the building and construct it into some row houses a la SOMA and that would be destination spot. Even more so than it is now.
-
DTO Luv
- City Council
- Posts: 9644
- Joined: Sun Jun 06, 2004 4:22 pm
WallStreet Tower Omaha
What are you subscribing to Trailerkids 480 Theory now, Jeff ;)
I think West DT will get it's turn to shine but with all of the stuff going on DT now I think it'll just have to wait it's turn. One plus to the area is that there are enough vacant lots that you don't have to get rid of anything. I've thought quite a few times what could be done to fill in the areas btwn Midtown and (eastern) DT.
I think West DT will get it's turn to shine but with all of the stuff going on DT now I think it'll just have to wait it's turn. One plus to the area is that there are enough vacant lots that you don't have to get rid of anything. I've thought quite a few times what could be done to fill in the areas btwn Midtown and (eastern) DT.
DTO
-
Swift
- Planning Board
- Posts: 2887
- Joined: Thu Oct 28, 2004 2:13 pm
- Location: NYC
WallStreet Tower Omaha
I think I am actually more excited about the notion that this building could still be for sale by the time I get into the business.
-
eomaha
- County Board
- Posts: 4176
- Joined: Thu Nov 13, 2003 10:29 am
- Location: West Omaha
WallStreet Tower Omaha
You'll have to fill me in on the 480 theory.

So let me get this straight... the skies the limit as far as our expectations for forthcoming 400 and 500 foot skyscrapers... but we don't have the resources to develop the west side of downtown concurrently with the north side?wait it's turn
-
DTO Luv
- City Council
- Posts: 9644
- Joined: Sun Jun 06, 2004 4:22 pm
WallStreet Tower Omaha
Haven't you ever heard about how Trailerkid is always going on and on about the Qwest Center being cut off from DT because 480 is right by it and how it's not an active 10th St. corridor btwn there and the OM?
And yes the sky is the limit but aside from that one office exterior remodeling, there haven't been any new projects in that part of DT. All the focus has been on the river and the residential stuff which so far has mainly (except Row 19) been east of 16th St. So once the other areas gain more steam I think we will see people turn the gaze slightly westward DT. Is that 19th St. something that came up on here or something actually being done.
And yes the sky is the limit but aside from that one office exterior remodeling, there haven't been any new projects in that part of DT. All the focus has been on the river and the residential stuff which so far has mainly (except Row 19) been east of 16th St. So once the other areas gain more steam I think we will see people turn the gaze slightly westward DT. Is that 19th St. something that came up on here or something actually being done.
DTO
-
OmahaChef
- Parks & Recreation
- Posts: 1047
- Joined: Sat May 28, 2005 6:55 am
- Location: Omaha
WallStreet Tower Omaha
For those of us height obsessed, and we all know who the king of that is right?!....one thing to keep in mind is the elevation of 10th to 15th Street (flat), and the elevation from 20th Street westward ( a good 100 plus feet higher). Any new construction, like a 25-30 condo/apartment tower from 20th Street west will have a "taller" impact on the skyline. There sure is a lot of parking lots in that area. That whole long stretch across from the Federal Reserve is nothing but potential development opportunities
-
DTO Luv
- City Council
- Posts: 9644
- Joined: Sun Jun 06, 2004 4:22 pm
WallStreet Tower Omaha
I get what you're saying Chef, but I think that that part of DT should look like somewhere between the Old Market and 16th St. I'd like to see it be the place where families live and can walk to stores. A big office tower would look out of place there and should be closer to the other buildings. I'd be happy to see more buildings like the Westbrook tower spread over there as well.
DTO
-
OmahaChef
- Parks & Recreation
- Posts: 1047
- Joined: Sat May 28, 2005 6:55 am
- Location: Omaha
WallStreet Tower Omaha
Exactly, DTO! I wouldn't recommend it for tall or large offices, but for residences, be they condos and/or apartments, I think that area could have some real potential. Of course, I'd love to see a few tall ones there, but I am also a fan of The Rows At SOMA type of city development in the city as well. I'd love to see a lot of residential projects in that area.
-
StreetsOfOmaha
- City Council
- Posts: 6854
- Joined: Sun Feb 08, 2004 4:46 pm
WallStreet Tower Omaha
You guys are so funny.
And with regards to the 3,000 condos number. WOW is that? It's so arbitrary. Let's see, what's 3,000 divided by 850,000?
I guess only 4/10 (woops) of one percent of Omahans are urban minded people who would want to live downtown, a.k.a. cool. If that were true that would be really sad.
Give me a break. As many condos as can be built downtown would all sell, and the market would adjust accordingly.
You can't just say, "Mhhhhmmm, I think Omaha can support 3,000 condos downtown, ladidadida."
And with regards to the 3,000 condos number. WOW is that? It's so arbitrary. Let's see, what's 3,000 divided by 850,000?
I guess only 4/10 (woops) of one percent of Omahans are urban minded people who would want to live downtown, a.k.a. cool. If that were true that would be really sad.
Give me a break. As many condos as can be built downtown would all sell, and the market would adjust accordingly.
You can't just say, "Mhhhhmmm, I think Omaha can support 3,000 condos downtown, ladidadida."
Last edited by StreetsOfOmaha on Fri Jun 24, 2005 5:32 pm, edited 2 times in total.
-
eomaha
- County Board
- Posts: 4176
- Joined: Thu Nov 13, 2003 10:29 am
- Location: West Omaha
WallStreet Tower Omaha
Don't freak out on me... I'm just quoting the 'professionals' (and that's actually 4 TENTHS of 1% there Aaron... or about 1 in every 280 people in the metro).
Anyway, I'm not saying there can't be 30,000 people living downtown someday. I'm simply saying, in the time it takes to get there (you guys must be terrible in bed
I have no doubt, should the demand reach that point, that underutilized spaces will continued to be superceded by new development (and you can thank the supreme court making it that much easier
-
Finn
- Parks & Recreation
- Posts: 1387
- Joined: Thu Mar 25, 2004 9:54 pm
- Location: DC
WallStreet Tower Omaha
I agree jhuston. Greenspace is key to providing pedestrian scale and fomenting activity. Of course, some of this greenspace should be permanent! It enhances a mixed-use concept.
-
StreetsOfOmaha
- City Council
- Posts: 6854
- Joined: Sun Feb 08, 2004 4:46 pm
UP site Condo Tower/RFP vigil
I found out today from a reliable source who is "politically connected" that the condos will be announced in the next few days, and he/she made it sound like it will be 30 stories.
So let's look forward to an announcement!!!
So let's look forward to an announcement!!!
Last edited by StreetsOfOmaha on Wed Jul 20, 2005 6:48 pm, edited 1 time in total.
-
Minneapolis Boy
- Library Board
- Posts: 343
- Joined: Mon Feb 09, 2004 2:31 pm
- Location: Back in Omaha!
WallStreet Tower Omaha
Okay Streets, we're relying on you!
-
MrWh1t3
- Home Owners Association
- Posts: 54
- Joined: Wed Sep 01, 2004 1:37 pm
Can we
Can we (Omaha) really support that many in that price range? It just seems crazy.
They mentioned Omaha could support somewhere in the area of 3,600 condos awhile back. I think 1,600 were sold or something. When they figure that 3,600 can be supported do they figure in that if they were to get 3,600 people (roughly) moving down there purchasing 200k and up condos that there is other people willing to buy their homes they are moving from? It seems to me if I couldn't sell my house I wouldn't move. Last time I heard it is a buyers market not a sellers. I find it hard all these people moving down all live in Apts as we speak.
They mentioned Omaha could support somewhere in the area of 3,600 condos awhile back. I think 1,600 were sold or something. When they figure that 3,600 can be supported do they figure in that if they were to get 3,600 people (roughly) moving down there purchasing 200k and up condos that there is other people willing to buy their homes they are moving from? It seems to me if I couldn't sell my house I wouldn't move. Last time I heard it is a buyers market not a sellers. I find it hard all these people moving down all live in Apts as we speak.
-
DTO Luv
- City Council
- Posts: 9644
- Joined: Sun Jun 06, 2004 4:22 pm
WallStreet Tower Omaha
The thinng with the UP site is that since it's so differant from anything else we have it will probably sell better since it will be more visible.
DTO
-
Swift
- Planning Board
- Posts: 2887
- Joined: Thu Oct 28, 2004 2:13 pm
- Location: NYC
WallStreet Tower Omaha
30 stories how many feet is that?
-
DTO Luv
- City Council
- Posts: 9644
- Joined: Sun Jun 06, 2004 4:22 pm
WallStreet Tower Omaha
Anywhere btwn 300'-'450 depending on the floor heighth. Since it's residential the floors will probably be around 10'-12' (300'-360'). Or we could get lucky and get ones with 13'-15' (390'-'450) but those are usually used in office towers. Either way I think (hope) this will be Omaha new third tallest. Jeff you were always saying a 350' building would look good there near UP.
DTO
-
eomaha
- County Board
- Posts: 4176
- Joined: Thu Nov 13, 2003 10:29 am
- Location: West Omaha
WallStreet Tower Omaha
Aaron... I'll go down and petition for a skyscraper at the Swanson site if this comes true.
-
Swift
- Planning Board
- Posts: 2887
- Joined: Thu Oct 28, 2004 2:13 pm
- Location: NYC
WallStreet Tower Omaha
me thinks you think this is not accurate?
-
eomaha
- County Board
- Posts: 4176
- Joined: Thu Nov 13, 2003 10:29 am
- Location: West Omaha
WallStreet Tower Omaha
Heck no, I'm just as desperate as everyone else here for another highrise. Although I'm never as skeptical of these kinds of rumors... as much as cognizant of the fact that even announced... there is no guarantee they'll become reality.
-
Finn
- Parks & Recreation
- Posts: 1387
- Joined: Thu Mar 25, 2004 9:54 pm
- Location: DC
WallStreet Tower Omaha
Great news, no mini-park.
-
OmahaChef
- Parks & Recreation
- Posts: 1047
- Joined: Sat May 28, 2005 6:55 am
- Location: Omaha
WallStreet Tower Omaha
Amen, Finn....Amen!
-
OmahaDevelopmentMan
- Human Relations
- Posts: 593
- Joined: Tue Nov 09, 2004 6:12 pm
- Location: Omaha, someplace in middle America
WallStreet Tower Omaha
Please please please be true! I trust you Streets. If this doesn't work out in the next few days you will have some explaining to do to all of us here...
-
Omaha Cowboy
- The Don
- Posts: 1013719
- Joined: Wed Jan 07, 2004 5:31 am
- Location: West Omaha
WallStreet Tower Omaha
We can all hope this is not just another 'cryptic rumor'..
I trust that Aaron has a reliable inside source..
Lets hope we hear an announcement in a few days (fingers crossed)..
..Ciao..LiO....Peace
I trust that Aaron has a reliable inside source..
Lets hope we hear an announcement in a few days (fingers crossed)..
..Ciao..LiO....Peace
Go Cowboys!
-
OmahaDevelopmentMan
- Human Relations
- Posts: 593
- Joined: Tue Nov 09, 2004 6:12 pm
- Location: Omaha, someplace in middle America
WallStreet Tower Omaha
My money is on Friday, assuming this inside source is accurate.
-
Minneapolis Boy
- Library Board
- Posts: 343
- Joined: Mon Feb 09, 2004 2:31 pm
- Location: Back in Omaha!
WallStreet Tower Omaha
Hopefully it will be announced by Friday. We're heading into a holiday weekend, not exactly the prime time for a major announcement.
-
DTO Luv
- City Council
- Posts: 9644
- Joined: Sun Jun 06, 2004 4:22 pm
WallStreet Tower Omaha
I'm thinking next week sometime.
Jeff- how many of our projects that are now realities were you skeptical about. ;)
Jeff- how many of our projects that are now realities were you skeptical about. ;)
DTO
-
Swift
- Planning Board
- Posts: 2887
- Joined: Thu Oct 28, 2004 2:13 pm
- Location: NYC
WallStreet Tower Omaha
Just out of curiousity, how many of or rumors/predictions come true? What is our track record?
-
omahastylee459
- Parks & Recreation
- Posts: 1017
- Joined: Sat Dec 25, 2004 4:48 pm
- Location: Nashua, NH
WallStreet Tower Omaha
if built, this building would look great when heading downtown from eppley along abbott drive, I cant wait until it starts to take form
-
Will
- Home Owners Association
- Posts: 249
- Joined: Mon Feb 09, 2004 4:49 pm
- Location: Elkhorn
WallStreet Tower Omaha
I love it when they blow up buildings. I saw the swanson and burt buildings go up (or should I say down). I plan on being off when they blow up the old UP building.
Go west young man.
-
omahastylee459
- Parks & Recreation
- Posts: 1017
- Joined: Sat Dec 25, 2004 4:48 pm
- Location: Nashua, NH
WallStreet Tower Omaha
can they implode it with all the asbestos?
-
Will
- Home Owners Association
- Posts: 249
- Joined: Mon Feb 09, 2004 4:49 pm
- Location: Elkhorn
-
StreetsOfOmaha
- City Council
- Posts: 6854
- Joined: Sun Feb 08, 2004 4:46 pm
WallStreet Tower Omaha
Boo to destroying building stock, but yay to a 30 story condo tower.
-
Hawkeye
- Library Board
- Posts: 256
- Joined: Mon Jan 31, 2005 1:58 pm
- Location: Minneapolis/St. Paul
WallStreet Tower Omaha
See Streets old buddy, that's the way I feel about it too. Too bad that there isn't some way to save and restore the UP building (at least the historic older part) and ALSO add to the skyline with newer buildings.
That said, I'm ALL IN FAVOR of tearing down the UP to build a striking condo tower or other such structure. But it's just a shame that we couldn't find ways to leave some of these infill buildings in place, and simply ADD to the skyline around them instead of tearing one down to build one up.
That said, I'm ALL IN FAVOR of tearing down the UP to build a striking condo tower or other such structure. But it's just a shame that we couldn't find ways to leave some of these infill buildings in place, and simply ADD to the skyline around them instead of tearing one down to build one up.
-
StreetsOfOmaha
- City Council
- Posts: 6854
- Joined: Sun Feb 08, 2004 4:46 pm
WallStreet Tower Omaha
Exactly, Hawkeye.
I don't even think the "modern" addition to the UP building is that bad. Either way, it's an asset to downtown to have more density, and you don't acheive good density by tearing a building down everytime you put one up.
I don't even think the "modern" addition to the UP building is that bad. Either way, it's an asset to downtown to have more density, and you don't acheive good density by tearing a building down everytime you put one up.