T.G.I. Fridays - Omaha

Omaha's dining, arts and music scene
User avatar
nebugeater
City Council
Posts: 110964
Joined: Wed Aug 04, 2004 6:07 pm
Location: Gretna NE

T.G.I. Fridays - Omaha

Post by nebugeater »

http://omaha.com/article/20110114/GO/701149945

Looks like the owners / management that are "new" and moved into the Westroads location just moved from the West maple location that this states is now closed.




Ethan Erickson, vice president of Quantum Leap Restaurants Inc., said Quantum closed its T.G.I.F. location near 156th Street and West Maple Road on Dec. 26 in order to move into the Westroads Mall spot, which was vacated by another franchisee two months ago.
For the record  NEBUGEATER does not equal BUGEATER    !!!!!!!
User avatar
The Guide
New to the Neighborhood
Posts: 2
Joined: Thu Jun 02, 2011 9:44 am

Open at Westroads

Post by The Guide »

I can definitely say that TGIFridays is open at the Westroads. The location on 156th and Maple is gone. They moved back to Westroads in January this year. The GM there is a friend of mine and told me of this move in November of last year.

http://www.omahanightoutguide.com/dinin ... tgifridays
User avatar
The Guide
New to the Neighborhood
Posts: 2
Joined: Thu Jun 02, 2011 9:44 am

New place to visit

Post by The Guide »

Uffda wrote:
omahanightlife.com
That site is way too young for me. Now 20 years ago --- but of course we didnt have the internet like we do now. :(
There is a new kid in town and has a simpler and easier to use format, plus it also has its own built in search engine. Main focus on live entertainment and restaurants. I am a bit biased, of course, because I am the founder.

http://www.omahanightoutguide.com
User avatar
Omababe
Planning Board
Posts: 2467
Joined: Thu Jul 05, 2007 9:47 am

Re: New place to visit

Post by Omababe »

The Guide wrote:There is a new kid in town and has a simpler and easier to use format, plus it also has its own built in search engine. Main focus on live entertainment and restaurants. I am a bit biased, of course, because I am the founder.
Not to be too critical here, but ...

Omaha Prime missing from Steak Houses and Fine Dining?
Cascio's and Piccolo's missing from Italian?
Smoke Pit and Ozark's missing from BBQ?

This is just from a quick look ... Very obvious.

Those are some rather significant omissions! :(
Professor Woland
Library Board
Posts: 367
Joined: Thu May 26, 2011 8:28 pm
Location: Omaha Metro Area

T.G.I. Fridays - Omaha

Post by Professor Woland »

Omaha Prime has seen better days. For Downtown steakhouses Spencer's and the 801 are the best that I've eaten at. I am not familiar with Sullivan's.
User avatar
Globochem
Home Owners Association
Posts: 229
Joined: Mon Apr 18, 2011 1:59 am
Location: Worldwide

T.G.I. Fridays - Omaha

Post by Globochem »

Prof Woland is right. Although I might say that Prime did not have far to fall. As far as this Guide goes, it is NOT easier to navigate. It is nowhere near comprehensive. And it doesn't look good. Omaha could definitely use a catch all online guide, but this one has a long way to go. Oh, and try starting a different thread that doesn't stink of TGIF. Sorry for this rather negative post.
10thstgoober
Home Owners Association
Posts: 148
Joined: Tue May 20, 2008 7:06 pm
Location: Dundee

T.G.I. Fridays - Omaha

Post by 10thstgoober »

Closed!
User avatar
jessep28
Planning Board
Posts: 2819
Joined: Wed Sep 03, 2008 4:10 pm
Location: Omaha Metro Area

T.G.I. Fridays - Omaha

Post by jessep28 »

It looks like a Buffalo Wild Wings will replace it.


Image
Verbum Domini Manet in Aeternum
ChadJK
Planning Board
Posts: 2504
Joined: Tue Feb 19, 2019 2:51 pm

Re: T.G.I. Fridays - Omaha

Post by ChadJK »

I see TGI Fridays closed 36 more restaurants.
https://ketv.com/article/tgi-fridays-cl ... s/46283593
User avatar
Brad
Photographer
Posts: 1036568
Joined: Sat Feb 28, 2004 6:03 pm
Location: Omaha, NE

Re: T.G.I. Fridays - Omaha

Post by Brad »

ChadJK wrote: Thu Jan 04, 2024 8:52 pm I see TGI Fridays closed 36 more restaurants.
https://ketv.com/article/tgi-fridays-cl ... s/46283593
Another news station reporting about a chain the left this market several years ago?
User avatar
S.O.Boy
Human Relations
Posts: 829
Joined: Sun Apr 05, 2020 10:42 pm
Location: Pisces–Cetus Supercluster Complex

Re: T.G.I. Fridays - Omaha

Post by S.O.Boy »

https://www.msn.com/en-us/money/compani ... smsnnews11

Residents of cities in 12 states across the U.S. will have to celebrate the start of the weekend someplace other than TGI Fridays.

Casual restaurant chain TGI Fridays is closing 36 "underperforming" locations across the U.S. as part of a corporate growth strategy, the company said in a statement Wednesday.


The privately owned company will also sell eight corporate-owned restaurants to TGI Fridays' former CEO Ray Blanchette, who had served as chief executive until last year, the company said.

Some employees at affected restaurants will have the opportunity to move to roles at other locations. The chain said more than 1,000 workers, or more than 80% of employees working at restaurants that are closing, will be offered transfer opportunities.
Roughly 1,250 workers will be affected by the restaurant closures, which are concentrated in Massachusetts, New Jersey, New York, Texas and Virginia.

"Our top priority has always been delivering a superior experience for each and every TGI Fridays guest, and we've identified opportunities to optimize and streamline our operations to ensure we are best positioned to meet – and exceed – on that brand promise," Ray Risley, U.S. President and Chief Operating Officer at TGI Fridays said in a statement. "By strengthening our franchise model and closing underperforming stores, we are creating an unprecedented opportunity for Fridays to drive forward its vision for the future."


The sudden move follows a recent corporate shake-up at the casual bar and grill chain, including the appointment of Weldon Spangler to CEO following Blanchette's departure in May.

Below is a list provided by the company to CBS MoneyWatch detailing all the TGI Fridays locations where restaurants will close:

Fresno, California
Denver, Colorado
Longmont, Colorado
Newington, Connecticut
Ormond Beach, Florida
Royal Palm, Florida
Bowie, Maryland
Columbia, Maryland
Berlin/Marlborough, Massachusetts
Danvers, Massachusetts
Dedham, Massachusetts
Mansfield, Massachusetts
North Attleboro, Massachusetts
Seekonik, Massachusetts
Amherst, New Hampshire
Albany, New Jersey
Eatontown, New Jersey
Hackensack, New Jersey
Iselin/Woodbridge, New Jersey
Marlton/Evesham, New Jersey
Princeton, New Jersey
Springfield, New Jersey
Wayne Town Center, New Jersey
Bay Shore, New York
Hauppauge, New York
Massapequa, New York
Woodbury Township, New York
Willow Grove, Pennsylvania
Corpus Christi, Texas
Houston Almeda, Texas
North Arlington, Texas
The Woodlands, Texas
Fredericksburg, Virginia
Manassas, Virginia
Springfield, Virginia
Woodbridge/Potomac Mills, Virginia
User avatar
Brad
Photographer
Posts: 1036568
Joined: Sat Feb 28, 2004 6:03 pm
Location: Omaha, NE

Re: T.G.I. Fridays - Omaha

Post by Brad »

Here is why this should have never been a story on any of the local stations, but at least two of them ran it...
TGI.PNG
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
almighty_tuna
City Council
Posts: 106377
Joined: Tue Apr 13, 2004 1:34 pm
Location: Somewhere between downtown and Colorado

Re: T.G.I. Fridays - Omaha

Post by almighty_tuna »

Gotta get them clicks
Stan
Library Board
Posts: 461
Joined: Thu Apr 09, 2020 8:55 am

Re: T.G.I. Fridays - Omaha

Post by Stan »

I'm glad this forum exists to keep record of such things so I don't go crazy trying to remember that there once was a TGI Friday's on West Center. I also remember the CheeBurger CheeBurger location out that way.
ChadJK
Planning Board
Posts: 2504
Joined: Tue Feb 19, 2019 2:51 pm

Re: T.G.I. Fridays - Omaha

Post by ChadJK »

Everyone seems to remember the TGI Fridays at Westroads Mall, but when I bring up the one that was at 175th & Center or the one at 156th & Maple people always think I'm mistaken.
User avatar
nebugeater
City Council
Posts: 110964
Joined: Wed Aug 04, 2004 6:07 pm
Location: Gretna NE

Re: T.G.I. Fridays - Omaha

Post by nebugeater »

Help out my failing memory here. I went to the 175th & Center location a bunch of times, but for the life of me, I can't remember the exact spot. What is in the location now?
For the record  NEBUGEATER does not equal BUGEATER    !!!!!!!
ChadJK
Planning Board
Posts: 2504
Joined: Tue Feb 19, 2019 2:51 pm

Re: T.G.I. Fridays - Omaha

Post by ChadJK »

nebugeater wrote: Fri Jan 05, 2024 10:08 am Help out my failing memory here. I went to the 175th & Center location a bunch of times, but for the life of me, I can't remember the exact spot. What is in the location now?
It was at 17535 Gold Plaza where Mattress Firm is now.
User avatar
nebugeater
City Council
Posts: 110964
Joined: Wed Aug 04, 2004 6:07 pm
Location: Gretna NE

Re: T.G.I. Fridays - Omaha

Post by nebugeater »

ChadJK wrote: Fri Jan 05, 2024 10:33 am
nebugeater wrote: Fri Jan 05, 2024 10:08 am Help out my failing memory here. I went to the 175th & Center location a bunch of times, but for the life of me, I can't remember the exact spot. What is in the location now?
It was at 17535 Gold Plaza where Mattress Firm is now.
Thanks

Now, I will not be interrupting my nap think of this.
For the record  NEBUGEATER does not equal BUGEATER    !!!!!!!
ChadJK
Planning Board
Posts: 2504
Joined: Tue Feb 19, 2019 2:51 pm

Re: T.G.I. Fridays - Omaha

Post by ChadJK »

Brad wrote: Thu Jan 04, 2024 10:35 pm Here is why this should have never been a story on any of the local stations, but at least two of them ran it...
Sounds like someone isn't wearing their 15 pieces of flair, Brad.
User avatar
Brad
Photographer
Posts: 1036568
Joined: Sat Feb 28, 2004 6:03 pm
Location: Omaha, NE

Re: T.G.I. Fridays - Omaha

Post by Brad »

ChadJK wrote: Fri Jan 05, 2024 11:13 am
Brad wrote: Thu Jan 04, 2024 10:35 pm Here is why this should have never been a story on any of the local stations, but at least two of them ran it...
Sounds like someone isn't wearing their 15 pieces of flair, Brad.
LOL.
User avatar
nativeomahan
County Board
Posts: 6013
Joined: Fri Nov 12, 2004 2:46 pm
Location: Omaha and Puerto Vallarta

Re: T.G.I. Fridays - Omaha

Post by nativeomahan »

A good friend of our family used to work real estate, and I remember when she told us that her company helped bring TGIFridays into the Omaha market. I think that was probably in the early or mid 1990s. It was a “big” thing back then as Omaha was one of the few larger markets that lacked the chain. I was big into chain restaurants back then, and traveled a lot. I had fond memories of dining at some of their locations. Their menus were enormous.
Times change. Tastes change.
User avatar
Omaha Cowboy
The Don
Posts: 1013719
Joined: Wed Jan 07, 2004 5:31 am
Location: West Omaha

Re: T.G.I. Fridays - Omaha

Post by Omaha Cowboy »

nativeomahan wrote: Sat Jan 06, 2024 3:02 pm A good friend of our family used to work real estate, and I remember when she told us that her company helped bring TGIFridays into the Omaha market. I think that was probably in the early or mid 1990s. It was a “big” thing back then as Omaha was one of the few larger markets that lacked the chain. I was big into chain restaurants back then, and traveled a lot. I had fond memories of dining at some of their locations. Their menus were enormous.
Times change. Tastes change.
TGI Friday’s was/is so 1998..Which might be the last time I ate there, Lol..

That said, I wish the 2010 version of Granite City was still open in the Omaha market. What that place devolved into once they finally pulled out of Omaha in 2020 was a damn shame…

Ciao..LiO…Peace
Go Cowboys!
User avatar
nativeomahan
County Board
Posts: 6013
Joined: Fri Nov 12, 2004 2:46 pm
Location: Omaha and Puerto Vallarta

Re: T.G.I. Fridays - Omaha

Post by nativeomahan »

Yes i also enjoyed Granite City. We would often do their very popular Sunday brunch. Always a line for that. Or we would do dinner after a twilight movie at the mall.
nebport5
Planning Board
Posts: 2804
Joined: Sun Jun 06, 2004 3:13 pm
Location: 68102

Re: T.G.I. Fridays - Omaha

Post by nebport5 »

Omaha Cowboy wrote: Sun Jan 07, 2024 6:12 am
nativeomahan wrote: Sat Jan 06, 2024 3:02 pm A good friend of our family used to work real estate, and I remember when she told us that her company helped bring TGIFridays into the Omaha market. I think that was probably in the early or mid 1990s. It was a “big” thing back then as Omaha was one of the few larger markets that lacked the chain. I was big into chain restaurants back then, and traveled a lot. I had fond memories of dining at some of their locations. Their menus were enormous.
Times change. Tastes change.
TGI Friday’s was/is so 1998..Which might be the last time I ate there, Lol..

That said, I wish the 2010 version of Granite City was still open in the Omaha market. What that place devolved into once they finally pulled out of Omaha in 2020 was a damn shame…

Ciao..LiO…Peace

I remember when you could actually get a good burger at Ruby Tuesday's in the 90s. I imagine that early on TGI Friday's had higher quality food too than what it and most of these sit-down chains became. Back then there was some justification for choosing to spend the time and money at one of them vs. saving the time and money at a drive-thru.

I'd like to think it's a compliment to Omaha's food scene that TGIF's pulled out of the market when they did. Of course, then I acknowledge that you can still buy their crapitizers at Hy-Vee. I always thought it was foolish for Friday's and C.F.P.K. to go into everyone's local super market. A factor in their demise? Perhaps. Is there really a difference between what the restaurant is tossing in their frier vs. what you're buying in the frozen foods section? Maybe. Either way I'd bet both have chemicals most of us can't pronounce that are "generally regarded as safe". I suppose the strategy of going into grocery was to get you to eat their food not just Friday, but especially during slow business weekdays when a soccer mom just doesn't have the time to make dinner(or the money to feed three kids out). But then why even go to a TGIF's on a Friday if there's no discernible difference in what you can pull out of your freezer?

Somewhere in the mid to late 90's as profits fell(or didn't continue to grow at an absurd rate) many of the sit-down chains cut corners and prices to compete with a "rising level" of fast food. The implication of getting as good of a meal without having to take the time of sit down service seemed to work. Remember when many of these sit-downs started really pushing To-Go with even dedicated signage? I can't think of Chili's without seeing the words To-Go.
Sit-downs were becoming more like fast food and fast food was rivaling sit-downs in quality. But truly a moot distinction. Nonetheless, fast food began pushing "healthier" menu choices and it paid off. By the mid 2000's Panera(which you might call sit-down fast food) was growing at the staggering rate of %5646(between 2000-2016). Of course it turned out Panera's bread and salads were just as unhealthy as the Fast Food Mafia. We also know Jared didn't lose all that weight eating yoga mat sandwiches. I digress...

Ultimately, I'm reminded of the old economics saying "there's no such thing as a free lunch".

There's a saying in the culinary world too, that "good food takes time".

And good food will never show up on a value meal or whether at Friday's or your kitchen table...

never in the form of Loaded Potato Skins.


Eat local.