402 BBQ had their Grand Opening today, but unfortunately ran out of food 30 minutes before I showed up. Today they were at 61st and Maple in Benson, said they will be on North 72nd tomorrow...
nativeomahan wrote: Tue Sep 15, 2020 4:54 pm
Has anyone tried their new place on south 84th? A friend did, and said it was “okay” but nothing special.
I tried the place and would completely agree with that assessment. Not bad like Tired Texan was on my last trip there, but just sandwiches and they were ok. I would not go out of my way to eat there. Famous Dave’s has nothing to worry about. And Porkybutts could let a trainee run their pit and still do better.
I always thought 402 BBQ's ribs tasted like they were basted with Hormel Chili (perhaps too much cumin in their rub?). Granted, I haven't tried it since about 2015, so perhaps their recipe has evolved since then.
Last edited by ChadJK on Tue Oct 22, 2024 11:58 am, edited 2 times in total.
I drove past their brick-n-mortar location the other day. It appears to be drive-thru only which doesn't make it much different than their food truck. I seem to be in the minority these days. I prefer to sit down at the restaurant and eat my food.
ChadJK wrote: Tue Oct 22, 2024 11:56 am
I drove past their brick-n-mortar location the other day. It appears to be drive-thru only which doesn't make it much different than their food truck.
Was it ever sit down? I haven't been there in years, but when I was there last, it was drive-thru only.
Brad wrote: Tue Oct 22, 2024 12:03 pm
Was it ever sit down? I haven't been there in years, but when I was there last, it was drive-thru only.
Perhaps not. I sort of thought the point of them getting a brick-n-mortar location was to provide a dining spot, but maybe not. They have "Drive Thru Only" spelled out in fairly large lettering on the front of the building. So, I wonder how many people parked and tried to go inside before they did that. lol