Sarah Baker Hansen / World-Herald staff writer wrote:
Chef Hiomara van den Boogaart is leaving Wilson and Washburn to open a restaurant with restaurateur Michael Sanchez in the Blackstone District.
Sanchez and van de Boogaart will open MULA Mexican Kitchen and Tequila Lounge near 40th and Farnam Streets. Sanchez also runs Maria’s Mexican Restaurant in Ralston. Van den Boogaart said in an email that the restaurant will feature “street style” Mexican food inspired by Mexican culture and using local ingredients.
It would be great to breathe new life into that corner. As a child I remember Kaufman's bakery, located next door. I used to go in the back door and walk through the kitchen up toward the front counter. They didn't care.
MULA may not open by Cinco de Mayo, or at least their liquor license may be held back until they have a proper outdoor porch...
otherwise this is what we will find inside:
I did notice a new outdoor staircase leading to the second floor on the north side, I don't know what that was all about...
MULA Mexican Kitchen, near 40th and Farnam Streets, is scheduled for a June opening.
The Blackstone District restaurant will serve street-style Mexican cuisine alongside a comprehensive tequila bar and a wide selection of Mexican beers.
Chef Hiomara van den Boogaart left Wilson and Washburn to open the restaurant with restaurateur Michael Sanchez. Sanchez also runs Maria's Mexican Restaurant in Ralston.
In driving by yesterday I saw a sign up for a coffee house located on the east side of the pictured building, where the entrance is indented. The name is Apothic, or something similar.
I agree Brad, the space is great the food is not. It's ok food at a higher price but I also didn't like the service. I don't think we went 5 minutes without someone asking us how our food was or trying to take away a plate we were still eating food from.
After my wife pointed out to me that it's not fair to judge a restaurant based on their first week we went back last night. It was a much improved experience. No more hyper-attentive staff lording over us as we ate. Just our waitress, attentive but not pushy. I had the chicken torta which was fantastic. However the mango, pineapple, mint salsa isn't for me.
Anyway I suggest the torta if you're going. They're massive and tasty. My wife liked the tacos but liked my torta more.
We went there on a week night, I tried to order a torta but was informed they had no bread. If half your menu revolves around bread you should probably keep that in stock.
I ordered three tacos instead, two of the three were just terrible. Also, the waitress felt it necessary to give a 5 minute spiel about tequila, TEQUILAS NOT THAT COMPLICATED.