Oak View Mall (144 & West Center Rd)

West Omaha, Sarpy and Nebraska metro counties.
User avatar
nebugeater
City Council
Posts: 110947
Joined: Wed Aug 04, 2004 6:07 pm
Location: Gretna NE

Re: Oak View Mall - Redevelopment Plan

Post by nebugeater »

Not sure I buy into Hyvee quickly bailing.

Oakview built in 1991 and Hyvee some time soon after that.
Hyvee announces a new larger store at Stonybrook to replace this store in 2009. So 18 - 19 years. They wanted a bigger store with the new again design and as I remember it there was not perceived room to do what they wanted at Oakview. While the Oakview HyVee was stat of the art when built there was a lot of changes to the standard in those 18 years.
For the record  NEBUGEATER does not equal BUGEATER    !!!!!!!
User avatar
Greg S
City Council
Posts: 8987
Joined: Thu Aug 26, 2004 10:46 am

Re: Oak View Mall - Redevelopment Plan

Post by Greg S »

nebugeater wrote: Mon Jun 11, 2018 8:50 am Not sure I buy into Hyvee quickly bailing.

Oakview built in 1991 and Hyvee some time soon after that.
Hyvee announces a new larger store at Stonybrook to replace this store in 2009. So 18 - 19 years. They wanted a bigger store with the new again design and as I remember it there was not perceived room to do what they wanted at Oakview. While the Oakview HyVee was stat of the art when built there was a lot of changes to the standard in those 18 years.
I guess it wasn't quick bailing but was interesting they closed vs remodeled (like they did at many other locations in town). If they truly thought it was a good location they would have remodeled.

Greg
User avatar
nebugeater
City Council
Posts: 110947
Joined: Wed Aug 04, 2004 6:07 pm
Location: Gretna NE

Re: Oak View Mall - Redevelopment Plan

Post by nebugeater »

Greg S wrote: Mon Jun 11, 2018 9:51 am
nebugeater wrote: Mon Jun 11, 2018 8:50 am Not sure I buy into Hyvee quickly bailing.

Oakview built in 1991 and Hyvee some time soon after that.
Hyvee announces a new larger store at Stonybrook to replace this store in 2009. So 18 - 19 years. They wanted a bigger store with the new again design and as I remember it there was not perceived room to do what they wanted at Oakview. While the Oakview HyVee was stat of the art when built there was a lot of changes to the standard in those 18 years.
I guess it wasn't quick bailing but was interesting they closed vs remodeled (like they did at many other locations in town). If they truly thought it was a good location they would have remodeled.

Greg
While I think it is somewhat suspect I do recall them saying they did not have the footprint to add what they wanted / needed at the Oakview location.
For the record  NEBUGEATER does not equal BUGEATER    !!!!!!!
User avatar
GrandpaaSmucker
Parks & Recreation
Posts: 1879
Joined: Wed Jun 28, 2017 3:09 pm

Re: Oak View Mall - Redevelopment Plan

Post by GrandpaaSmucker »

We loved our Hy-Vee out here in Millard when it was located where CVS is now at 143rd & U. I went to the Hy-Vee at 143rd & U all the time. The HY-Vee at 143rd & U was packed always with shoppers. Then Hy-Vee got too smart and outsmarted themselves. The brain trusts that decided to move to the Oak View Mall assumed that it was close to the 143rd & U location and we would all just migrate up to the new Oak View Hy-Vee. They were wrong big time. Almost instantly when the new Hy-Vee opened at Oak View Mall it became evident that the old stores shoppers were not migrating to the new store in mass. It was obvious the first 2 years the store was open that the old Millard store had been doing better then the new store at Oak View was . Even though Oak View looks and is close to us out here in Millard its not close enough. We all went to Bakers instead of driving out to OakView. Hy-Vee lost a huge market share in Millard in the mid 90's by gambling on the move to OakView. It was a huge stupid mistake not to build that store close to where it was before. It took Hy-Vee some 15-20 years to own up to this fact and when they did move back to Millard the people flocked back to the store in droves.
User avatar
Stargazer
County Board
Posts: 4182
Joined: Sat Dec 09, 2006 11:06 am
Location: Bennington

Re: Oak View Mall - Redevelopment Plan

Post by Stargazer »

I really do hope Dillard's considers a move to Westroads... of COURSE, the Oak View situation would see their demise if they stick it out there. You can place all the blame on Oak View if they end up leaving the market entirely. Dillard's is a good store, but they can't draw enough patrons on their own to sustain itself there. If GGP, or whoever is acquiring them, has any brains... they help subsidize that move.
Shoot for the Moon... if you miss, you'll land among the stars.
User avatar
GrandpaaSmucker
Parks & Recreation
Posts: 1879
Joined: Wed Jun 28, 2017 3:09 pm

Re: Oak View Mall - Redevelopment Plan

Post by GrandpaaSmucker »

Stargazer wrote: Wed Jun 13, 2018 12:00 am I really do hope Dillard's considers a move to Westroads... of COURSE, the Oak View situation would see their demise if they stick it out there. You can place all the blame on Oak View if they end up leaving the market entirely. Dillard's is a good store, but they can't draw enough patrons on their own to sustain itself there. If GGP, or whoever is acquiring them, has any brains... they help subsidize that move.
These Real Estate Investment guys are tight. I'm not in the Real Estate game but my common sense tells me their is no way in Gods green earth that would ever happen.
User avatar
Garrett
County Board
Posts: 4692
Joined: Wed Nov 26, 2008 6:29 pm
Location: New York City

Re: Oak View Mall - Redevelopment Plan

Post by Garrett »

Stargazer wrote: Wed Jun 13, 2018 12:00 am I really do hope Dillard's considers a move to Westroads... of COURSE, the Oak View situation would see their demise if they stick it out there. You can place all the blame on Oak View if they end up leaving the market entirely. Dillard's is a good store, but they can't draw enough patrons on their own to sustain itself there. If GGP, or whoever is acquiring them, has any brains... they help subsidize that move.
I doubt Dillard’s is pulling good enough margins for them to want to do that. Why subsidize that move when Dillard’s downfall could just come in another 5 years? If GGP is really smart they’ll go for a new to the market retailer. Perhaps REI that Crossroads was said to have at one point?
OMA-->CHI-->NYC
User avatar
bigredmed1
Parks & Recreation
Posts: 1689
Joined: Mon May 29, 2017 10:16 pm

Re: Oak View Mall - Redevelopment Plan

Post by bigredmed1 »

Garrett wrote: Wed Jun 13, 2018 8:39 am
Stargazer wrote: Wed Jun 13, 2018 12:00 am I really do hope Dillard's considers a move to Westroads... of COURSE, the Oak View situation would see their demise if they stick it out there. You can place all the blame on Oak View if they end up leaving the market entirely. Dillard's is a good store, but they can't draw enough patrons on their own to sustain itself there. If GGP, or whoever is acquiring them, has any brains... they help subsidize that move.
I doubt Dillard’s is pulling good enough margins for them to want to do that. Why subsidize that move when Dillard’s downfall could just come in another 5 years? If GGP is really smart they’ll go for a new to the market retailer. Perhaps REI that Crossroads was said to have at one point?
REI would certainly have the potential space to build climbing walls or other activity areas to market their goods and without Canfield's in the market, they would effectively have no real competition given that Bass-belas is concentrating on hunting and fishing only.
buildomaha
Human Relations
Posts: 700
Joined: Tue May 31, 2016 7:06 pm

Re: Oak View Mall - Redevelopment Plan

Post by buildomaha »

bigredmed1 wrote: Wed Jun 13, 2018 1:33 pm
Garrett wrote: Wed Jun 13, 2018 8:39 am
Stargazer wrote: Wed Jun 13, 2018 12:00 am I really do hope Dillard's considers a move to Westroads... of COURSE, the Oak View situation would see their demise if they stick it out there. You can place all the blame on Oak View if they end up leaving the market entirely. Dillard's is a good store, but they can't draw enough patrons on their own to sustain itself there. If GGP, or whoever is acquiring them, has any brains... they help subsidize that move.
I doubt Dillard’s is pulling good enough margins for them to want to do that. Why subsidize that move when Dillard’s downfall could just come in another 5 years? If GGP is really smart they’ll go for a new to the market retailer. Perhaps REI that Crossroads was said to have at one point?
REI would certainly have the potential space to build climbing walls or other activity areas to market their goods and without Canfield's in the market, they would effectively have no real competition given that Bass-belas is concentrating on hunting and fishing only.
You don't think Scheels provides any competition in that market?
#gohawks
omaha79
Parks & Recreation
Posts: 1635
Joined: Fri Nov 13, 2015 3:46 pm

Re: Oak View Mall - Redevelopment Plan

Post by omaha79 »

buildomaha wrote: Wed Jun 13, 2018 1:44 pm
bigredmed1 wrote: Wed Jun 13, 2018 1:33 pm
Garrett wrote: Wed Jun 13, 2018 8:39 am
Stargazer wrote: Wed Jun 13, 2018 12:00 am I really do hope Dillard's considers a move to Westroads... of COURSE, the Oak View situation would see their demise if they stick it out there. You can place all the blame on Oak View if they end up leaving the market entirely. Dillard's is a good store, but they can't draw enough patrons on their own to sustain itself there. If GGP, or whoever is acquiring them, has any brains... they help subsidize that move.
I doubt Dillard’s is pulling good enough margins for them to want to do that. Why subsidize that move when Dillard’s downfall could just come in another 5 years? If GGP is really smart they’ll go for a new to the market retailer. Perhaps REI that Crossroads was said to have at one point?
REI would certainly have the potential space to build climbing walls or other activity areas to market their goods and without Canfield's in the market, they would effectively have no real competition given that Bass-belas is concentrating on hunting and fishing only.
You don't think Scheels provides any competition in that market?
So, let me get this straight? The suggestion is to put REI at Westroads because they are a "new to Omaha" retailer? So, then who replaces Dicks at Westroads? Can't have 2 sporting goods stores at one mall, I'd say.
User avatar
Garrett
County Board
Posts: 4692
Joined: Wed Nov 26, 2008 6:29 pm
Location: New York City

Re: Oak View Mall - Redevelopment Plan

Post by Garrett »

omaha79 wrote: Wed Jun 13, 2018 3:56 pm
buildomaha wrote: Wed Jun 13, 2018 1:44 pm
bigredmed1 wrote: Wed Jun 13, 2018 1:33 pm
Garrett wrote: Wed Jun 13, 2018 8:39 am
Stargazer wrote: Wed Jun 13, 2018 12:00 am I really do hope Dillard's considers a move to Westroads... of COURSE, the Oak View situation would see their demise if they stick it out there. You can place all the blame on Oak View if they end up leaving the market entirely. Dillard's is a good store, but they can't draw enough patrons on their own to sustain itself there. If GGP, or whoever is acquiring them, has any brains... they help subsidize that move.
I doubt Dillard’s is pulling good enough margins for them to want to do that. Why subsidize that move when Dillard’s downfall could just come in another 5 years? If GGP is really smart they’ll go for a new to the market retailer. Perhaps REI that Crossroads was said to have at one point?
REI would certainly have the potential space to build climbing walls or other activity areas to market their goods and without Canfield's in the market, they would effectively have no real competition given that Bass-belas is concentrating on hunting and fishing only.
You don't think Scheels provides any competition in that market?
So, let me get this straight? The suggestion is to put REI at Westroads because they are a "new to Omaha" retailer? So, then who replaces Dicks at Westroads? Can't have 2 sporting goods stores at one mall, I'd say.
Dicks is more so sporting goods, REI is more outdoor gear. Two very different markets. Besides, malls of the past did just fine having 4+ department stores.

My main point is get a relevant retailer, not one that’s on its way out
OMA-->CHI-->NYC
User avatar
damonhynes
Parks & Recreation
Posts: 1278
Joined: Tue Aug 26, 2014 7:35 pm
Location: Montgomery County, Texas

Re: Oak View Mall - Redevelopment Plan

Post by damonhynes »

GrandpaaSmucker wrote: Mon Jun 11, 2018 10:15 am We all went to Bakers instead of driving out to OakView. Hy-Vee lost a huge market share in Millard in the mid 90's by gambling on the move to OakView. It was a huge stupid mistake not to build that store close to where it was before. It took Hy-Vee some 15-20 years to own up to this fact and when they did move back to Millard the people flocked back to the store in droves.
And when Hy-Vee came back to Millard...you ditched Baker's? Just wondering--Deerfield disappeared awfully quickly. Strange.
User avatar
Stargazer
County Board
Posts: 4182
Joined: Sat Dec 09, 2006 11:06 am
Location: Bennington

Re: Oak View Mall - Redevelopment Plan

Post by Stargazer »

Dicks is more so sporting goods, REI is more outdoor gear. Two very different markets. Besides, malls of the past did just fine having 4+ department stores.

My main point is get a relevant retailer, not one that’s on its way out
Put it in the Container Store spot... which surely must be leaving soon. I mean, who shops at this place? I sure wish this had been a Crate and Barrel instead.
Shoot for the Moon... if you miss, you'll land among the stars.
debradomayer
Library Board
Posts: 329
Joined: Wed Oct 24, 2012 8:28 pm
Location: Omaha Metro Area

Re: Oak View Mall - Redevelopment Plan

Post by debradomayer »

Stargazer wrote: Wed Jun 13, 2018 9:03 pm
Dicks is more so sporting goods, REI is more outdoor gear. Two very different markets. Besides, malls of the past did just fine having 4+ department stores.

My main point is get a relevant retailer, not one that’s on its way out
Put it in the Container Store spot... which surely must be leaving soon. I mean, who shops at this place? I sure wish this had been a Crate and Barrel instead.
I agree with a Crate & Barrel! Working at Westroads, I can tell you I have never been in the Container/Tupperware Store. And you very rarely see people with shopping bags from there.
buildomaha
Human Relations
Posts: 700
Joined: Tue May 31, 2016 7:06 pm

Re: Oak View Mall - Redevelopment Plan

Post by buildomaha »

debradomayer wrote: Wed Jun 13, 2018 9:36 pm
Stargazer wrote: Wed Jun 13, 2018 9:03 pm
Dicks is more so sporting goods, REI is more outdoor gear. Two very different markets. Besides, malls of the past did just fine having 4+ department stores.

My main point is get a relevant retailer, not one that’s on its way out
Put it in the Container Store spot... which surely must be leaving soon. I mean, who shops at this place? I sure wish this had been a Crate and Barrel instead.
I agree with a Crate & Barrel! Working at Westroads, I can tell you I have never been in the Container/Tupperware Store. And you very rarely see people with shopping bags from there.
What reason would anyone have for going into somewhere named "The Container Store?" I can get containers on Amazon, or drive a mile down the road to Walmart or Target and get what is so special that it needs its own mall spot. :lol:
#gohawks
User avatar
nebugeater
City Council
Posts: 110947
Joined: Wed Aug 04, 2004 6:07 pm
Location: Gretna NE

Re: Oak View Mall - Redevelopment Plan

Post by nebugeater »

debradomayer wrote: Wed Jun 13, 2018 9:36 pm
Stargazer wrote: Wed Jun 13, 2018 9:03 pm
Dicks is more so sporting goods, REI is more outdoor gear. Two very different markets. Besides, malls of the past did just fine having 4+ department stores.

My main point is get a relevant retailer, not one that’s on its way out
Put it in the Container Store spot... which surely must be leaving soon. I mean, who shops at this place? I sure wish this had been a Crate and Barrel instead.
I agree with a Crate & Barrel! Working at Westroads, I can tell you I have never been in the Container/Tupperware Store. And you very rarely see people with shopping bags from there.

Why would you see a shopping bag? They can put the purchases in one of the containers just purchased.
For the record  NEBUGEATER does not equal BUGEATER    !!!!!!!
omaha79
Parks & Recreation
Posts: 1635
Joined: Fri Nov 13, 2015 3:46 pm

Re: Oak View Mall - Redevelopment Plan

Post by omaha79 »

debradomayer wrote: Wed Jun 13, 2018 9:36 pm
Stargazer wrote: Wed Jun 13, 2018 9:03 pm
Dicks is more so sporting goods, REI is more outdoor gear. Two very different markets. Besides, malls of the past did just fine having 4+ department stores.

My main point is get a relevant retailer, not one that’s on its way out
Put it in the Container Store spot... which surely must be leaving soon. I mean, who shops at this place? I sure wish this had been a Crate and Barrel instead.
I agree with a Crate & Barrel! Working at Westroads, I can tell you I have never been in the Container/Tupperware Store. And you very rarely see people with shopping bags from there.
Interesting that this is the sentiment now as I remember quite a bit of buzz on this board when The Container Store was announced.
omaha79
Parks & Recreation
Posts: 1635
Joined: Fri Nov 13, 2015 3:46 pm

Re: Oak View Mall - Redevelopment Plan

Post by omaha79 »

Garrett wrote: Wed Jun 13, 2018 4:57 pm
omaha79 wrote: Wed Jun 13, 2018 3:56 pm
buildomaha wrote: Wed Jun 13, 2018 1:44 pm
bigredmed1 wrote: Wed Jun 13, 2018 1:33 pm
Garrett wrote: Wed Jun 13, 2018 8:39 am
Stargazer wrote: Wed Jun 13, 2018 12:00 am I really do hope Dillard's considers a move to Westroads... of COURSE, the Oak View situation would see their demise if they stick it out there. You can place all the blame on Oak View if they end up leaving the market entirely. Dillard's is a good store, but they can't draw enough patrons on their own to sustain itself there. If GGP, or whoever is acquiring them, has any brains... they help subsidize that move.
I doubt Dillard’s is pulling good enough margins for them to want to do that. Why subsidize that move when Dillard’s downfall could just come in another 5 years? If GGP is really smart they’ll go for a new to the market retailer. Perhaps REI that Crossroads was said to have at one point?
REI would certainly have the potential space to build climbing walls or other activity areas to market their goods and without Canfield's in the market, they would effectively have no real competition given that Bass-belas is concentrating on hunting and fishing only.
You don't think Scheels provides any competition in that market?
So, let me get this straight? The suggestion is to put REI at Westroads because they are a "new to Omaha" retailer? So, then who replaces Dicks at Westroads? Can't have 2 sporting goods stores at one mall, I'd say.
Dicks is more so sporting goods, REI is more outdoor gear. Two very different markets. Besides, malls of the past did just fine having 4+ department stores.

My main point is get a relevant retailer, not one that’s on its way out
I believe there would be enough overlap that if you opened REI in the Westroads that Dicks would be gone within a year. I'd feel relatively confident in that statement.

They may not be the exact same kind of store, but there is enough overlap that I believe they'd draw enough customers from each other to make it unworkable. Maybe some cities can support this kind of overlap at a mall, but I don't think Omaha can and certainly not in this retail climate. Maybe 20 years ago, but the game has changed.
User avatar
TitosBuritoBarn
Planning Board
Posts: 3273
Joined: Mon Nov 08, 2004 7:08 pm
Location: St. Louis

Re: Oak View Mall - Redevelopment Plan

Post by TitosBuritoBarn »

buildomaha wrote: Wed Jun 13, 2018 10:40 pm
debradomayer wrote: Wed Jun 13, 2018 9:36 pm
Stargazer wrote: Wed Jun 13, 2018 9:03 pm
Dicks is more so sporting goods, REI is more outdoor gear. Two very different markets. Besides, malls of the past did just fine having 4+ department stores.

My main point is get a relevant retailer, not one that’s on its way out
Put it in the Container Store spot... which surely must be leaving soon. I mean, who shops at this place? I sure wish this had been a Crate and Barrel instead.
I agree with a Crate & Barrel! Working at Westroads, I can tell you I have never been in the Container/Tupperware Store. And you very rarely see people with shopping bags from there.
What reason would anyone have for going into somewhere named "The Container Store?" I can get containers on Amazon, or drive a mile down the road to Walmart or Target and get what is so special that it needs its own mall spot. :lol:
Oh come on...have any of you been inside the store? It's not just Rubbermaid containers. They're about helping you organize your home by maximizing space and efficiency. They sell custom closets, custom pantries, garage storage, shelves for your walls, etc.
"Video game violence is not a new problem. Who could forget in the wake of SimCity how children everywhere took up urban planning." - Stephen Colbert
User avatar
bigredmed1
Parks & Recreation
Posts: 1689
Joined: Mon May 29, 2017 10:16 pm

Re: Oak View Mall - Redevelopment Plan

Post by bigredmed1 »

omaha79 wrote: Thu Jun 14, 2018 6:51 am
You don't think Scheels provides any competition in that market?
So, let me get this straight? The suggestion is to put REI at Westroads because they are a "new to Omaha" retailer? So, then who replaces Dicks at Westroads? Can't have 2 sporting goods stores at one mall, I'd say.
[/quote]
Dicks is more so sporting goods, REI is more outdoor gear. Two very different markets. Besides, malls of the past did just fine having 4+ department stores.

My main point is get a relevant retailer, not one that’s on its way out
[/quote]

I believe there would be enough overlap that if you opened REI in the Westroads that Dicks would be gone within a year. I'd feel relatively confident in that statement.

They may not be the exact same kind of store, but there is enough overlap that I believe they'd draw enough customers from each other to make it unworkable. Maybe some cities can support this kind of overlap at a mall, but I don't think Omaha can and certainly not in this retail climate. Maybe 20 years ago, but the game has changed.
[/quote]

I was not interested in putting REI in the Westroads, rather in the Oakview.

Scheels is not really able to compete with REI as there are too many directions in that store and not enough of the experts they seem to love to advertise on their commercials. Dick's has seriously damaged it's brand with the gun control stuff pulled earlier this year. Large numbers of people have determined to stop shopping there for any reason. Also Dick's sells a lot of crappy one season and done sporting goods and REI sells stuff people use for a long term hobby, serious sports participants only need to learn that lesson once.
Louie
County Board
Posts: 4936
Joined: Fri Dec 23, 2011 4:23 pm
Location: Dundee

Re: Oak View Mall - Redevelopment Plan

Post by Louie »

https://www.cnbc.com/2018/05/30/dicks-s ... nings.html

While I don't disagree with you, bigredmed, on REI being able to put Dick's out of business, you are so far incorrect about the gun policy affecting Dick's negatively.
ProgKingHughesker
Home Owners Association
Posts: 178
Joined: Sat Jun 02, 2018 7:32 pm

Re: Oak View Mall - Redevelopment Plan

Post by ProgKingHughesker »

My honest assumption is seeing Crate and Barrel and somebody else moving into WestRoads, Dillards anchoring WestFarm, and Oak View being left to die on the vine. Too bad it's too far from S24th to be remarketed as a Hispanic mall like several malls in Houston are reappearing as
MSizlack
Home Owners Association
Posts: 161
Joined: Sun May 25, 2014 7:52 pm

Re: Oak View Mall - Redevelopment Plan

Post by MSizlack »

Even without taking into account the struggles facing retailers, I seriously doubt any new to the Omaha market retailers such as REI, crate and barrel, or big name who ever, would even consider Westroads or Oakview. New to Omaha retailers will be looking at new "exciting" developments like the west farm development or even la vistas new golden mile. Oakviews future looks very much like Crossroads is today.
obvious2677
Library Board
Posts: 278
Joined: Thu Mar 22, 2018 7:43 pm

Re: Oak View Mall - Redevelopment Plan

Post by obvious2677 »

bigredmed1 wrote: Thu Jun 14, 2018 1:18 pm Dick's has seriously damaged it's brand with the gun control stuff pulled earlier this year. Large numbers of people have determined to stop shopping there for any reason.
Factually incorrect.
omaha79
Parks & Recreation
Posts: 1635
Joined: Fri Nov 13, 2015 3:46 pm

Re: Oak View Mall - Redevelopment Plan

Post by omaha79 »

MSizlack wrote: Thu Jun 14, 2018 10:33 pm Even without taking into account the struggles facing retailers, I seriously doubt any new to the Omaha market retailers such as REI, crate and barrel, or big name who ever, would even consider Westroads or Oakview. New to Omaha retailers will be looking at new "exciting" developments like the west farm development or even la vistas new golden mile. Oakviews future looks very much like Crossroads is today.
I absolutely agree.

I mentioned this when I talked about Oak View facing competition from West Farms. I think we can get into a trap of getting tunnel vision thinking about only Oak View and Westroads competing with each other in a vacuum.

I've argued for a long time that Omaha has over expanded in terms of retail. There have always been winners and losers every time new developments get built. Oak View has been damaged by Village Point and then the Shoppes on L St. This will only continue with West Farm.

Oak View feels like Crossroads 2.0 to me as well.
User avatar
Greg S
City Council
Posts: 8987
Joined: Thu Aug 26, 2004 10:46 am

Re: Oak View Mall - Redevelopment Plan

Post by Greg S »

MSizlack wrote: Thu Jun 14, 2018 10:33 pm Even without taking into account the struggles facing retailers, I seriously doubt any new to the Omaha market retailers such as REI, crate and barrel, or big name who ever, would even consider Westroads or Oakview. New to Omaha retailers will be looking at new "exciting" developments like the west farm development or even la vistas new golden mile. Oakviews future looks very much like Crossroads is today.
I would disagree on Westroads, case in point was Container Store.


Greg
User avatar
Greg S
City Council
Posts: 8987
Joined: Thu Aug 26, 2004 10:46 am

Re: Oak View Mall - Redevelopment Plan

Post by Greg S »

obvious2677 wrote: Fri Jun 15, 2018 7:44 am
bigredmed1 wrote: Thu Jun 14, 2018 1:18 pm Dick's has seriously damaged it's brand with the gun control stuff pulled earlier this year. Large numbers of people have determined to stop shopping there for any reason.
Factually incorrect.
I agree obvious2677. Dick's shares jumped 26% in May as their latest earnings exceeded expectations and estimates for the year were revised updward, not downward.

Greg
obvious2677
Library Board
Posts: 278
Joined: Thu Mar 22, 2018 7:43 pm

Re: Oak View Mall - Redevelopment Plan

Post by obvious2677 »

Greg S wrote: Fri Jun 15, 2018 2:55 pm
obvious2677 wrote: Fri Jun 15, 2018 7:44 am
bigredmed1 wrote: Thu Jun 14, 2018 1:18 pm Dick's has seriously damaged it's brand with the gun control stuff pulled earlier this year. Large numbers of people have determined to stop shopping there for any reason.
Factually incorrect.
I agree obvious2677. Dick's shares jumped 26% in May as their latest earnings exceeded expectations and estimates for the year were revised updward, not downward.

Greg
Their net sales last quarter were up by $83.5 million. So whatever "large numbers of people" that stopped shopping there were more than offset by "larger numbers of people" who determined to shop there.
User avatar
TheSeventhBrat
Home Owners Association
Posts: 214
Joined: Wed Dec 04, 2013 10:59 pm

Re: Oak View Mall - Redevelopment Plan

Post by TheSeventhBrat »

damonhynes wrote: Wed Jun 13, 2018 6:49 pm
GrandpaaSmucker wrote: Mon Jun 11, 2018 10:15 am We all went to Bakers instead of driving out to OakView. Hy-Vee lost a huge market share in Millard in the mid 90's by gambling on the move to OakView. It was a huge stupid mistake not to build that store close to where it was before. It took Hy-Vee some 15-20 years to own up to this fact and when they did move back to Millard the people flocked back to the store in droves.
And when Hy-Vee came back to Millard...you ditched Baker's? Just wondering--Deerfield disappeared awfully quickly. Strange.
Not so strange. Kroger didn't want to lease from a Jack Baker held company. None of the current Baker's sit on PDM owned property.
User avatar
jessep28
Planning Board
Posts: 2819
Joined: Wed Sep 03, 2008 4:10 pm
Location: Omaha Metro Area

Re: Oak View Mall - Redevelopment Plan

Post by jessep28 »

Baker's Deerfield was doomed way before that new Hy-Vee was built.
Verbum Domini Manet in Aeternum
User avatar
TheSeventhBrat
Home Owners Association
Posts: 214
Joined: Wed Dec 04, 2013 10:59 pm

Re: Oak View Mall - Redevelopment Plan

Post by TheSeventhBrat »

jessep28 wrote: Sat Jun 16, 2018 8:36 pm Baker's Deerfield was doomed way before that new Hy-Vee was built.
Baker's Deerfield was closed way before Hy-Vee Stonybrook even opened.
User avatar
GrandpaaSmucker
Parks & Recreation
Posts: 1879
Joined: Wed Jun 28, 2017 3:09 pm

Re: Oak View Mall - Redevelopment Plan

Post by GrandpaaSmucker »

TheSeventhBrat wrote: Mon Jun 18, 2018 11:30 am
jessep28 wrote: Sat Jun 16, 2018 8:36 pm Baker's Deerfield was doomed way before that new Hy-Vee was built.
Baker's Deerfield was closed way before Hy-Vee Stonybrook even opened.
Not so! HyVee opened in Spring of 2010 and Bakers closed Fall of 2011. I can remember going to both on the same day before.
Joe_Sovereign
Library Board
Posts: 433
Joined: Thu Sep 06, 2012 3:57 pm
Location: Omaha Metro Area

Re: Oak View Mall - Redevelopment Plan

Post by Joe_Sovereign »

Sears at Oakview is closing in September
User avatar
Linkin5
County Board
Posts: 4885
Joined: Tue Feb 10, 2004 7:59 pm

Re: Oak View Mall - Redevelopment Plan

Post by Linkin5 »

Grow Omaha mentioned a hospital taking over all of some of Oakview.
User avatar
Coyote
City Council
Posts: 34366
Joined: Tue Nov 18, 2003 11:18 am
Location: Aksarben Village

Re: Oak View Mall - Redevelopment Plan

Post by Coyote »

Linkin5 wrote: Sun Jul 08, 2018 8:26 pm Grow Omaha mentioned a hospital taking over all of some of Oakview.
OrthoNebraska Emergency is there (former Dr.s of OrthoWest).
They also mentioned a retirement village or maybe assisted living...
I don't remember if this was their rumor Or hope...
lbmom5
New to the Neighborhood
Posts: 27
Joined: Sun Jul 19, 2015 8:39 pm

Re: Oak View Mall - Redevelopment Plan

Post by lbmom5 »

Stargazer wrote: Wed Jun 13, 2018 9:03 pm
Dicks is more so sporting goods, REI is more outdoor gear. Two very different markets. Besides, malls of the past did just fine having 4+ department stores.

My main point is get a relevant retailer, not one that’s on its way out
Put it in the Container Store spot... which surely must be leaving soon. I mean, who shops at this place? I sure wish this had been a Crate and Barrel instead.
Hey! I work At The Container Store-we're not going anywhere!
ricko
Parks & Recreation
Posts: 1452
Joined: Mon Dec 11, 2006 9:54 pm

Re: Oak View Mall - Redevelopment Plan

Post by ricko »

lbmom5 wrote: Mon Jul 09, 2018 7:13 pm
Stargazer wrote: Wed Jun 13, 2018 9:03 pm
Dicks is more so sporting goods, REI is more outdoor gear. Two very different markets. Besides, malls of the past did just fine having 4+ department stores.

My main point is get a relevant retailer, not one that’s on its way out
Put it in the Container Store spot... which surely must be leaving soon. I mean, who shops at this place? I sure wish this had been a Crate and Barrel instead.
Hey! I work At The Container Store-we're not going anywhere!
You could look at it this way. All those elderly people will be living in the same building, and you could talk them into buying containers to store things, like their teeth and stuff.
buildomaha
Human Relations
Posts: 700
Joined: Tue May 31, 2016 7:06 pm

Re: Oak View Mall - Redevelopment Plan

Post by buildomaha »

I was brainstorming about turning the mall into a sort of Do Space on steroids and realized that there isn't anything that can be done with a huge enclosure like that. Enclosed malls are one of the worst phases America could've had. Even the original designer of the first mall regretted creating the beast that is the American shopping mall. You literally can't do anything with huge, two-story, windowless boxes that would benefit the public.
#gohawks
Louie
County Board
Posts: 4936
Joined: Fri Dec 23, 2011 4:23 pm
Location: Dundee

Re: Oak View Mall - Redevelopment Plan

Post by Louie »

buildomaha wrote: Tue Jul 10, 2018 11:23 am I was brainstorming about turning the mall into a sort of Do Space on steroids and realized that there isn't anything that can be done with a huge enclosure like that. Enclosed malls are one of the worst phases America could've had. Even the original designer of the first mall regretted creating the beast that is the American shopping mall. You literally can't do anything with huge, two-story, windowless boxes that would benefit the public.
Expansive paintball or airsoft field maybe?
lbmom5
New to the Neighborhood
Posts: 27
Joined: Sun Jul 19, 2015 8:39 pm

Re: Oak View Mall - Redevelopment Plan

Post by lbmom5 »

debradomayer wrote: Wed Jun 13, 2018 9:36 pm
Stargazer wrote: Wed Jun 13, 2018 9:03 pm
Dicks is more so sporting goods, REI is more outdoor gear. Two very different markets. Besides, malls of the past did just fine having 4+ department stores.

My main point is get a relevant retailer, not one that’s on its way out
Put it in the Container Store spot... which surely must be leaving soon. I mean, who shops at this place? I sure wish this had been a Crate and Barrel instead.
I agree with a Crate & Barrel! Working at Westroads, I can tell you I have never been in the Container/Tupperware Store. And you very rarely see people with shopping bags from there.
Since The Container Store is a junior anchor and has it's own outside entrance, no, you working inside the mall wouldn't necessarily see many our our bags.