Oak View Mall (144 & West Center Rd)
-
Csmac
- Home Owners Association
- Posts: 77
- Joined: Mon Sep 03, 2018 10:45 pm
Re: Oak View Mall - Redevelopment Plan
I do wonder if Younkers will be a two story rush market that’s what is opening at the former Younkers at Gateway mall in Lincoln. I wouldn’t be against that at all. The Rush Market is a nice store and is well perceived by a lot of people. I wonder if they would close the one at Lakeside since it’s so close. They may want two stories of space and storage. Who knows. I’ve also heard rumors of a Macy’s Backstage Outlet Store taking up one floor of the Younkers. Either way something big is happening and it’s progress. Filling up a empty big box store after just a year closure tells me that there is at least effort being done to help the mall. Westroads may have to our main mall. However, who is to say Oak View can’t and won’t be our mixed use lifestyle indoor mall? It needs work, but I just dont see it taking as nearly as a hit as Crossroads. That’s just me though.
-
Omaha Cowboy
- The Don
- Posts: 1013719
- Joined: Wed Jan 07, 2004 5:31 am
- Location: West Omaha
Re: Oak View Mall - Redevelopment Plan
I don’t disagree at all. I believe your thoughts and perception of how the Oak View Mousetrap can improve and become an even better retail point of destination are spot on..Csmac wrote: Wed May 22, 2019 10:48 pm I do wonder if Younkers will be a two story rush market that’s what is opening at the former Younkers at Gateway mall in Lincoln. I wouldn’t be against that at all. The Rush Market is a nice store and is well perceived by a lot of people. I wonder if they would close the one at Lakeside since it’s so close. They may want two stories of space and storage. Who knows. I’ve also heard rumors of a Macy’s Backstage Outlet Store taking up one floor of the Younkers. Either way something big is happening and it’s progress. Filling up a empty big box store after just a year closure tells me that there is at least effort being done to help the mall. Westroads may have to our main mall. However, who is to say Oak View can’t and won’t be our mixed use lifestyle indoor mall? It needs work, but I just dont see it taking as nearly as a hit as Crossroads. That’s just me though.
I remain positive of what the future holds and look forward to hear what eventually becomes of the large Younkers parcel...
Ciao..LiO...Peace
Go Cowboys!
-
thatomahakid12
- New to the Neighborhood
- Posts: 6
- Joined: Fri Apr 19, 2019 2:33 pm
Re: Oak View Mall - Redevelopment Plan
Last night I peeked my nose aginst the glass of yonkers and it looks like they are gutting it... so sad a beautiful buliding is being torn apart

-
ScrattyB
- Library Board
- Posts: 359
- Joined: Fri Nov 16, 2018 2:16 pm
Re: Oak View Mall - Redevelopment Plan
Cowboy, any opinions on my idea of an entertainment district be built?
-
Omaha Cowboy
- The Don
- Posts: 1013719
- Joined: Wed Jan 07, 2004 5:31 am
- Location: West Omaha
Re: Oak View Mall - Redevelopment Plan
I think your idea is feasible.. and can work in concert with the entire Oakview Mousetrap area being a mixed use retail and entertainment point of destination. There already is one element of entertainment there in the newly remodeled AMC Oakview movie theater complex with an IMAX. I believe there is definitely enough parcel space in the orbit area surrounding the mall and within the mall itself to have a nicely connected entertainment district element..ScrattyB wrote: Thu May 23, 2019 10:20 am Cowboy, any opinions on my idea of an entertainment district be built?
It would have to be well thought out and well planned, with options that would attract population within the area to choose Oakview, rather than traveling to the Benson, Blackstone or other districts.. Or Even Village Pointe. I believe a nice craft beer/food location like an Omaha Tap House would be a nice “get”, along with a comedy shop similar to The Funny Bone...
Ciao..LiO...Peace
Go Cowboys!
-
RockHarbor
- Planning Board
- Posts: 2083
- Joined: Wed Mar 23, 2005 7:42 am
- Location: Silver State
Re: Oak View Mall - Redevelopment Plan
Lol. "Your idea..." Right.ScrattyB wrote: Thu May 23, 2019 10:20 am Cowboy, any opinions on my idea of an entertainment district be built?
I'm sorry, that has been mentioned how many times on this big, bulky, ongoing thread? Believe me, you're not the first. It doesn't really matter, honestly. But, factually, that has been talked about plenty here already. (Just because the suggestions and conversations are pages back now, doesn't mean it is all null & void, and it's a "clean slate" here with each new page that forms. If that's the way you think, and that's the case here, then fine: "Your new idea" won't matter by the next page as well then.)
I can get pushed out because I'm "too much" for some. Then, an observer of me comes suddenly swooping in to "fill my shoes." People are always more accepting of the new one, because their feathers aren't truly ruffled by them. (Yawn) I can count on it every time.
-
Omaha Cowboy
- The Don
- Posts: 1013719
- Joined: Wed Jan 07, 2004 5:31 am
- Location: West Omaha
Re: Oak View Mall - Redevelopment Plan
Well, he did ask what I thought of his idea (s).. and frankly, I’d rather see our discussion revolve around these type of ideas rather than page after page of the gloom and doom dying mall narrative proclamations..RockHarbor wrote: Thu May 23, 2019 2:10 pmLol. "Your idea..." Right.ScrattyB wrote: Thu May 23, 2019 10:20 am Cowboy, any opinions on my idea of an entertainment district be built?
I'm sorry, that has been mentioned how many times on this big, bulky, ongoing thread? Believe me, you're not the first. It doesn't really matter, honestly. But, factually, that has been talked about plenty here already. (Just because the suggestions and conversations are pages back now, doesn't mean it is all null & void, and it's a "clean slate" here with each new page that forms. If that's the way you think, and that's the case here, then fine: "Your new idea" won't matter by the next page as well then.)
This thread title is “Oak View Mall- Redevelopment Plan” not “Oak View- Dying Mall Talk”..
I know you know and understand this and have made excellent contributions to this thread.. I’d rather encourage more ideas for redevelopment/revitalization of the Oakview Mousetrap in this thread moving forward...
Ciao..LiO...Peace
Go Cowboys!
-
RockHarbor
- Planning Board
- Posts: 2083
- Joined: Wed Mar 23, 2005 7:42 am
- Location: Silver State
Re: Oak View Mall - Redevelopment Plan
I realize that, but how could anybody proclaim that suggesting Oak View's structure used as an entertainment center is "my idea" after all the conversation that has taken place here? In fact, if there is ANY common suggestion we've seen here for Oak View, it is an "entertainment center", so for anybody to claim that is "their idea" by this point, on Page 14 of this thread, is kind of laughable to me. That's all... (It's like me suddenly saying that the Crossroads development have some shopping, a cafe, and some residential development, and then saying "Hey everybody... How do you like my ideas?! Hmmm?!" Would that not be so annoying to so many? If there's ANYTHING that's been suggested for Crossroads in all the talk that has gone around, it's shopping, residential, and restaurants.)Omaha Cowboy wrote: Thu May 23, 2019 3:09 pmWell, he did ask what I thought of his idea (s).. and frankly, I’d rather see our discussion revolve around these type of ideas rather than page after page of the gloom and doom dying mall narrative proclamations..RockHarbor wrote: Thu May 23, 2019 2:10 pmLol. "Your idea..." Right.ScrattyB wrote: Thu May 23, 2019 10:20 am Cowboy, any opinions on my idea of an entertainment district be built?
I'm sorry, that has been mentioned how many times on this big, bulky, ongoing thread? Believe me, you're not the first. It doesn't really matter, honestly. But, factually, that has been talked about plenty here already. (Just because the suggestions and conversations are pages back now, doesn't mean it is all null & void, and it's a "clean slate" here with each new page that forms. If that's the way you think, and that's the case here, then fine: "Your new idea" won't matter by the next page as well then.)
This thread title is “Oak View Mall- Redevelopment Plan” not “Oak View- Dying Mall Talk”..
I know you know and understand this and have made excellent contributions to this thread.. I’d rather encourage more ideas for redevelopment/revitalization of the Oakview Mousetrap in this thread moving forward...
Ciao..LiO...Peace
Sure, keep the great ideas & suggestions flowing.... But, PLEASE don't claim something very common is "your idea" until you read everything that came before you here. (There are probably 50+ ideas for the mall talked about here, in this thread. I mean, if your idea for Oak View was a "Square Dance Center", than OK, sure, I'm certain you're safe to conclude it was "your idea" without looking back in the thread.) That is only logical.
Last edited by RockHarbor on Fri May 24, 2019 8:59 pm, edited 6 times in total.
I can get pushed out because I'm "too much" for some. Then, an observer of me comes suddenly swooping in to "fill my shoes." People are always more accepting of the new one, because their feathers aren't truly ruffled by them. (Yawn) I can count on it every time.
-
thatomahakid12
- New to the Neighborhood
- Posts: 6
- Joined: Fri Apr 19, 2019 2:33 pm
Re: Oak View Mall - Redevelopment Plan
New video about oakview posted today
-
RockHarbor
- Planning Board
- Posts: 2083
- Joined: Wed Mar 23, 2005 7:42 am
- Location: Silver State
Re: Oak View Mall - Redevelopment Plan
Sad, but a reality. It's obviously not just an "Oakview Thing" or "Omaha thing." It's happening everywhere, I'm sure. I'm glad you pointed that link out. It led me to a link for Des Moines' Valley West Mall. It is kind of in the same predicament.
Ugh, I don't always know why Des Moines looks better than Omaha to me -- even their older mall does. Maybe because Des Moines is built on flatter, gentler terrain, so it always looks more pleasant & fair & "with it" designer-wise to me -- or something. Sometimes, I wish we could have Des Moine's basic general look, with Omaha's aire. But, Omaha wouldn't be "Omaha", and Des Moines wouldn't be "Des Moines" then.
Ugh, I don't always know why Des Moines looks better than Omaha to me -- even their older mall does. Maybe because Des Moines is built on flatter, gentler terrain, so it always looks more pleasant & fair & "with it" designer-wise to me -- or something. Sometimes, I wish we could have Des Moine's basic general look, with Omaha's aire. But, Omaha wouldn't be "Omaha", and Des Moines wouldn't be "Des Moines" then.
I can get pushed out because I'm "too much" for some. Then, an observer of me comes suddenly swooping in to "fill my shoes." People are always more accepting of the new one, because their feathers aren't truly ruffled by them. (Yawn) I can count on it every time.
-
daveoma
- Parks & Recreation
- Posts: 1213
- Joined: Thu Nov 06, 2014 7:18 pm
Re: Oak View Mall - Redevelopment Plan
This seems like a non-issue to me. If someone in the eOmaha forums plagiarizes an idea from another member, nobody loses money. If it hurts someone's ego, then the one with the hurt ego needs a hug since they're obviously quite sensitive to something with such little consequence.RockHarbor wrote: Thu May 23, 2019 7:38 pmI realize that, but how could anybody proclaim that suggesting Oak View's structure used as an entertainment center is "my idea" after all the conversation that has taken place here? In fact, if there is ANY common suggestion we've seen here for Oak View, it is an "entertainment center", so for anybody to claim that is "their idea" by this point, on Page 14 of this thread, is kind of laughable to me. That's all... (It's like me suddenly saying that the Crossroads development have some shopping, a cafe, and some residential development, and then saying "Hey everybody... How do you like my ideas?! Hmmm?!" Would that not be so annoying to so many? If there's ANYTHING that's been suggested for Crossroads in all the talk that has gone around, it's shopping, residential, and restaurants.)Omaha Cowboy wrote: Thu May 23, 2019 3:09 pmWell, he did ask what I thought of his idea (s).. and frankly, I’d rather see our discussion revolve around these type of ideas rather than page after page of the gloom and doom dying mall narrative proclamations..RockHarbor wrote: Thu May 23, 2019 2:10 pmLol. "Your idea..." Right.ScrattyB wrote: Thu May 23, 2019 10:20 am Cowboy, any opinions on my idea of an entertainment district be built?
I'm sorry, that has been mentioned how many times on this big, bulky, ongoing thread? Believe me, you're not the first. It doesn't really matter, honestly. But, factually, that has been talked about plenty here already. (Just because the suggestions and conversations are pages back now, doesn't mean it is all null & void, and it's a "clean slate" here with each new page that forms. If that's the way you think, and that's the case here, then fine: "Your new idea" won't matter by the next page as well then.)
This thread title is “Oak View Mall- Redevelopment Plan” not “Oak View- Dying Mall Talk”..
I know you know and understand this and have made excellent contributions to this thread.. I’d rather encourage more ideas for redevelopment/revitalization of the Oakview Mousetrap in this thread moving forward...
Ciao..LiO...Peace
Sure, keep the great ideas & suggestions flowing.... But, PLEASE don't claim something very common is "your idea" until you read everything that came before you here. (There are probably 50+ ideas for the mall talked about here, in this thread. I mean, if your idea for Oak View was a "Square Dance Center", than OK, sure, I'm certain you're safe to conclude it was "your idea" without looking back in the thread.) That is only logical.
Not everyone has the time or desire to go back and read years of a thread--especially when they're impatiently enthusiastic about an idea.
In this world, in this nation of ours, and in this very forum we could all benefit from some kindness and understanding. And if there are any members who are so angry and bitter that they can't muster any kindness and compassion, then I recommend going to a safe place with great music, and dropping some MDMA.
-
RockHarbor
- Planning Board
- Posts: 2083
- Joined: Wed Mar 23, 2005 7:42 am
- Location: Silver State
Re: Oak View Mall - Redevelopment Plan
You know, I'm glad you brought up "plagiarism", because before your comment actually was made here, and I already had one confrontation towards my original remark, I was actually thinking about a movie I saw where a college student was guilty of plagiarism on a college report -- and that girl got in big, BIG trouble. I remember thinking: "This isn't important here? Than go copy somebody else's work, and you'll see how important it is."daveoma wrote: Tue May 28, 2019 12:52 amThis seems like a non-issue to me. If someone in the eOmaha forums plagiarizes an idea from another member, nobody loses money. If it hurts someone's ego, then the one with the hurt ego needs a hug since they're obviously quite sensitive to something with such little consequence.RockHarbor wrote: Thu May 23, 2019 7:38 pmI realize that, but how could anybody proclaim that suggesting Oak View's structure used as an entertainment center is "my idea" after all the conversation that has taken place here? In fact, if there is ANY common suggestion we've seen here for Oak View, it is an "entertainment center", so for anybody to claim that is "their idea" by this point, on Page 14 of this thread, is kind of laughable to me. That's all... (It's like me suddenly saying that the Crossroads development have some shopping, a cafe, and some residential development, and then saying "Hey everybody... How do you like my ideas?! Hmmm?!" Would that not be so annoying to so many? If there's ANYTHING that's been suggested for Crossroads in all the talk that has gone around, it's shopping, residential, and restaurants.)Omaha Cowboy wrote: Thu May 23, 2019 3:09 pmWell, he did ask what I thought of his idea (s).. and frankly, I’d rather see our discussion revolve around these type of ideas rather than page after page of the gloom and doom dying mall narrative proclamations..RockHarbor wrote: Thu May 23, 2019 2:10 pmLol. "Your idea..." Right.ScrattyB wrote: Thu May 23, 2019 10:20 am Cowboy, any opinions on my idea of an entertainment district be built?
I'm sorry, that has been mentioned how many times on this big, bulky, ongoing thread? Believe me, you're not the first. It doesn't really matter, honestly. But, factually, that has been talked about plenty here already. (Just because the suggestions and conversations are pages back now, doesn't mean it is all null & void, and it's a "clean slate" here with each new page that forms. If that's the way you think, and that's the case here, then fine: "Your new idea" won't matter by the next page as well then.)
This thread title is “Oak View Mall- Redevelopment Plan” not “Oak View- Dying Mall Talk”..
I know you know and understand this and have made excellent contributions to this thread.. I’d rather encourage more ideas for redevelopment/revitalization of the Oakview Mousetrap in this thread moving forward...
Ciao..LiO...Peace
Sure, keep the great ideas & suggestions flowing.... But, PLEASE don't claim something very common is "your idea" until you read everything that came before you here. (There are probably 50+ ideas for the mall talked about here, in this thread. I mean, if your idea for Oak View was a "Square Dance Center", than OK, sure, I'm certain you're safe to conclude it was "your idea" without looking back in the thread.) That is only logical.
Not everyone has the time or desire to go back and read years of a thread--especially when they're impatiently enthusiastic about an idea.
In this world, in this nation of ours, and in this very forum we could all benefit from some kindness and understanding. And if there are any members who are so angry and bitter that they can't muster any kindness and compassion, then I recommend going to a safe place with great music, and dropping some MDMA.
Ever seen "Flash of Genius" with Greg Kinnear? It is based on a true story. That story, in itself, was enough to not only retell the story in a book, but they created a movie out of it, too. A company of "fat cat" execs actually tried to steal a man's idea, and make it their own. It's an impulse found within human nature. Thankfully, they didn't get away with it. People go to court over it. There are BIG cases out there. (I just read about a big court case brought against the creators of E.T. Somebody else created a similiar alien beforehand, or something.)
Hear about the recent guy that was busted for plagiarizing one of Ashton Kutcher's speeches? It's not just written material.
Sure, nobody loses money here, but it is still wrong. Nobody loses money when a college student simply hands in a tainted paper to a college professor, either. Or, if a general person plagiarizes a speech for a small town graduation. And, it is still wrong.
It is wrong to claim something is your idea, when it isn't really yours -- period. It's wrong to claim somebody else's work is your work, when it isn't really yours -- period. That's why I don't do it. Since they teach you about plagairism early on in school, I've lived most of my life with a rule: "Never take somebody else's idea, or copy somebody else's work, and make it your own." It's that simple. That's why there are actually strict laws in place. (That's why the OWH actually said something here, with the copying & pasting of their articles.) It's wrong and insulting and annoying. And, that's why I got so irritated here, too.
(If you accidentally do it, usually there's a sincere "I"m sorry! I didn't know that. I thought I was the first one who thought of this." NONE of that is here. I realize this is only a forum thread, though.)
So many people have put so much time & energy in this thread, and there has been plenty of talk over Oak View being an "entertainment center", so I couldn't help but say something. I'm not sure it really is anybody's idea. My original comment is not THAT bad, and it even has a light-hearted chuckle to go along with it. Point made.
Last edited by RockHarbor on Sat Jun 01, 2019 4:30 pm, edited 4 times in total.
I can get pushed out because I'm "too much" for some. Then, an observer of me comes suddenly swooping in to "fill my shoes." People are always more accepting of the new one, because their feathers aren't truly ruffled by them. (Yawn) I can count on it every time.
-
Omaha Cowboy
- The Don
- Posts: 1013719
- Joined: Wed Jan 07, 2004 5:31 am
- Location: West Omaha
Re: Oak View Mall - Redevelopment Plan
Moving forward- Let’s make sure commentary in this thread is topical regarding Oak View Mall, it’s Mousetrap and development..
Moving forward, posts containing anything outside of that realm will be removed..
Thanks in advance for your consideration...
Ciao..LiO...Peace
Moving forward, posts containing anything outside of that realm will be removed..
Thanks in advance for your consideration...
Ciao..LiO...Peace
Go Cowboys!
-
Coyote
- City Council
- Posts: 34366
- Joined: Tue Nov 18, 2003 11:18 am
- Location: Aksarben Village
Re: Oak View Mall - Redevelopment Plan
The Sempeck's building was recently purchased by the Steamfitters & Plumbers Local Union 464 for $3.4m
They currently are just east at 13505 B Street.
They currently are just east at 13505 B Street.
-
Omaha Cowboy
- The Don
- Posts: 1013719
- Joined: Wed Jan 07, 2004 5:31 am
- Location: West Omaha
Re: Oak View Mall - Redevelopment Plan
When I saw the Barnes & Noble story headline, I was concerned about the chain closing and the gloom and doomers blaming the Oakview Mousetrap for the chain shuddering it’s doors, lol.. But that’s not the case. This news is significant and I thought I’d place it in the Oakview redevelopment thread. From the W-H-
“Barnes & Noble is being acquired by a hedge fund for $476 million and will be taken private.
On Friday, the chain was acquired by Elliott Management and, in a twist, will likely become a national chain with a business model more akin to that of a local bookstore.”..
The story link:
https://www.omaha.com/money/businesses/ ... 9ab0f.html
Ciao..LiO...Peace
“Barnes & Noble is being acquired by a hedge fund for $476 million and will be taken private.
On Friday, the chain was acquired by Elliott Management and, in a twist, will likely become a national chain with a business model more akin to that of a local bookstore.”..
The story link:
https://www.omaha.com/money/businesses/ ... 9ab0f.html
Ciao..LiO...Peace
Go Cowboys!
-
RockHarbor
- Planning Board
- Posts: 2083
- Joined: Wed Mar 23, 2005 7:42 am
- Location: Silver State
Re: Oak View Mall - Redevelopment Plan
Interesting. Good for Barnes & Noble. I wondered what would happen to B&N. Hopefully, this will turn it around. I hardly ever go in there.Omaha Cowboy wrote: Sat Jun 08, 2019 12:03 pm When I saw the Barnes & Noble story headline, I was concerned about the chain closing and the gloom and doomers blaming the Oakview Mousetrap for the chain shuddering it’s doors, lol.. But that’s not the case. This news is significant and I thought I’d place it in the Oakview redevelopment thread. From the W-H-
“Barnes & Noble is being acquired by a hedge fund for $476 million and will be taken private.
On Friday, the chain was acquired by Elliott Management and, in a twist, will likely become a national chain with a business model more akin to that of a local bookstore.”..
The story link:
https://www.omaha.com/money/businesses/ ... 9ab0f.html
Ciao..LiO...Peace
I can get pushed out because I'm "too much" for some. Then, an observer of me comes suddenly swooping in to "fill my shoes." People are always more accepting of the new one, because their feathers aren't truly ruffled by them. (Yawn) I can count on it every time.
-
Omaha Cowboy
- The Don
- Posts: 1013719
- Joined: Wed Jan 07, 2004 5:31 am
- Location: West Omaha
Re: Oak View Mall - Redevelopment Plan
Agreed...RockHarbor wrote: Sat Jun 08, 2019 3:11 pmInteresting. Good for Barnes & Noble. I wondered what would happen to B&N. Hopefully, this will turn it around. I hardly ever go in there.Omaha Cowboy wrote: Sat Jun 08, 2019 12:03 pm When I saw the Barnes & Noble story headline, I was concerned about the chain closing and the gloom and doomers blaming the Oakview Mousetrap for the chain shuddering it’s doors, lol.. But that’s not the case. This news is significant and I thought I’d place it in the Oakview redevelopment thread. From the W-H-
“Barnes & Noble is being acquired by a hedge fund for $476 million and will be taken private.
On Friday, the chain was acquired by Elliott Management and, in a twist, will likely become a national chain with a business model more akin to that of a local bookstore.”..
The story link:
https://www.omaha.com/money/businesses/ ... 9ab0f.html
Ciao..LiO...Peace
Ciao..LiO...Peace
Go Cowboys!
-
Csmac
- Home Owners Association
- Posts: 77
- Joined: Mon Sep 03, 2018 10:45 pm
Re: Oak View Mall - Redevelopment Plan
It’s official. The Rush Market will be opening in the former Younkers at OakView mall later this summer. It will take up both floors. Personally, I think this is a great thing for Oakview as The Rush Market is a very well perceived store and is a new concept to retail that is being introduced. The owners are very nice and a lot of people I know shop there it’s not for everyone, but nevertheless a great store. This will drive traffic at Oakview a little bit. I think the best things Oakview can do now is to fill the vacant Sears with a big family entertainment place with bowling,games, a bar etc or have a nice upscale natural grocery store move in and redo and give the food court similar to Westroads common ground. Maybe I’m being too optimistic,but it’s very nice to see Oakview making progress and not being in a dead rut like Crossroads.
-
RockHarbor
- Planning Board
- Posts: 2083
- Joined: Wed Mar 23, 2005 7:42 am
- Location: Silver State
Re: Oak View Mall - Redevelopment Plan
I'm so glad something is going into that Younkers. That's exciting. I looked up that "Rush Market" and I notice they have a location in Lakeside Plaza. It looks pretty cool...
I was recently at a store that was huge, and it was full of many, many individual, personalized booths, and set up much like one of those antique malls (like the Brass Armadillo), yet the merchandise was all new (mostly). It wasn't a big store of used older stuff, like in an antique mall. The store abounded with new home decor, new art/crafty items, new jewelry, new clothes on racks, ect. Some booths featured artist's individual work, where they set up their own display, in their own little corner. It was really nice stuff in every booth, and prices were reasonable.
It is no argument that the retail landscape is changing, but I'm not sure it really is all about the "online shopping world" being the main and only culprit here. I'm wondering if people are just getting tired of big, typical department stores in general, with all their typical, predictable, generic, nationwide merchandise, and high prices, and uppity atmospheres? I think maybe people are not just tired of the "indoor mall" alone, I think they get tired of all the big department stores, too. It all gets old and boring. Yet, there's something about when you see a familiar department stores standing solo, imo. Like, for example, I like seeing a JCPENNY'S standing solo (like Kohl's), than attached to a big mall.
I was recently at a store that was huge, and it was full of many, many individual, personalized booths, and set up much like one of those antique malls (like the Brass Armadillo), yet the merchandise was all new (mostly). It wasn't a big store of used older stuff, like in an antique mall. The store abounded with new home decor, new art/crafty items, new jewelry, new clothes on racks, ect. Some booths featured artist's individual work, where they set up their own display, in their own little corner. It was really nice stuff in every booth, and prices were reasonable.
It is no argument that the retail landscape is changing, but I'm not sure it really is all about the "online shopping world" being the main and only culprit here. I'm wondering if people are just getting tired of big, typical department stores in general, with all their typical, predictable, generic, nationwide merchandise, and high prices, and uppity atmospheres? I think maybe people are not just tired of the "indoor mall" alone, I think they get tired of all the big department stores, too. It all gets old and boring. Yet, there's something about when you see a familiar department stores standing solo, imo. Like, for example, I like seeing a JCPENNY'S standing solo (like Kohl's), than attached to a big mall.
I can get pushed out because I'm "too much" for some. Then, an observer of me comes suddenly swooping in to "fill my shoes." People are always more accepting of the new one, because their feathers aren't truly ruffled by them. (Yawn) I can count on it every time.
-
Omaha Cowboy
- The Don
- Posts: 1013719
- Joined: Wed Jan 07, 2004 5:31 am
- Location: West Omaha
Re: Oak View Mall - Redevelopment Plan
What is your source for this official news? Can you provide a link for confirmation?...Csmac wrote: Thu Jun 20, 2019 12:47 am It’s official. The Rush Market will be opening in the former Younkers at OakView mall later this summer. It will take up both floors.
Ciao..LiO...Peace
Go Cowboys!
-
Csmac
- Home Owners Association
- Posts: 77
- Joined: Mon Sep 03, 2018 10:45 pm
Re: Oak View Mall - Redevelopment Plan
Omaha Cowboy
-
Omaha Cowboy
- The Don
- Posts: 1013719
- Joined: Wed Jan 07, 2004 5:31 am
- Location: West Omaha
Re: Oak View Mall - Redevelopment Plan
Excellent. Thank you very much for the confirmation
Ciao..LiO...Peace
Go Cowboys!
-
Csmac
- Home Owners Association
- Posts: 77
- Joined: Mon Sep 03, 2018 10:45 pm
Re: Oak View Mall - Redevelopment Plan
No problem. It’s great news for sure. Like I said now if Oakview can revamp the food court and fill the Sears with a family entertainment place then it would be a big drive to bring in even more traffic. Thoughts?
-
Omaha Cowboy
- The Don
- Posts: 1013719
- Joined: Wed Jan 07, 2004 5:31 am
- Location: West Omaha
Re: Oak View Mall - Redevelopment Plan
I pretty much agree with you. The gloom and doom crowd won’t agree, but I think Rush Market is a solid get for Oakview. A solid local company with a solid alternative way to shop..Csmac wrote: Thu Jun 20, 2019 5:33 pm No problem. It’s great news for sure. Like I said now if Oakview can revamp the food court and fill the Sears with a family entertainment place then it would be a big drive to bring in even more traffic. Thoughts?
I think the revamping of the food court is an eventual must.. The empty Sears anchor parcel, which is so close in proximity to the food court area, would be a nice place for a similar “commons area” like Westroads.. I think a family related establishment like (hold your breath and how dare I suggest it) Rainforest Cafe would be huge, HUGE for the entire Oakview Mousetrap.. No limits, go big or go home..
Oakview can reinvent itself and become highly relevant again. It just takes real commitment and a thoughtful plan/process..
It’ll be interesting to see what develops here within the next 12-24 months...
Ciao..LiO...Peace
Go Cowboys!
-
RockHarbor
- Planning Board
- Posts: 2083
- Joined: Wed Mar 23, 2005 7:42 am
- Location: Silver State
Re: Oak View Mall - Redevelopment Plan
I totally agree.Omaha Cowboy wrote: Thu Jun 20, 2019 7:27 pmI pretty much agree with you. The gloom and doom crowd won’t agree, but I think Rush Market is a solid get for Oakview. A solid local company with a solid alternative way to shop..Csmac wrote: Thu Jun 20, 2019 5:33 pm No problem. It’s great news for sure. Like I said now if Oakview can revamp the food court and fill the Sears with a family entertainment place then it would be a big drive to bring in even more traffic. Thoughts?
I think the revamping of the food court is an eventual must.. The empty Sears anchor parcel, which is so close in proximity to the food court area, would be a nice place for a similar “commons area” like Westroads.. I think a family related establishment like (hold your breath and how dare I suggest it) Rainforest Cafe would be huge, HUGE for the entire Oakview Mousetrap.. No limits, go big or go home..
Oakview can reinvent itself and become highly relevant again. It just takes real commitment and a thoughtful plan/process..
It’ll be interesting to see what develops here within the next 12-24 months...
Ciao..LiO...Peace
With online shopping so preveliant nowadays, creating the need for less physical, brick-and-mortar department stores located all around town, I'm thinking they simply need to fill these excess retail bays with "ticket items" that are reveliant to today's retail landscape & scene. Not everything works well online. It is not hard to imagine department stores working well, though, because we are already used to their organized catalogues.
As far as online shopping, I almost think they should group all the department stores' links at ONE location online (like "departmentstore.com"), so you could jump into each store easy, and compare items & prices. It will also give each department store a fair, fighting, equal chance to make it in the online world.
P.S. On the important topic of plagiarism here: Notice the breaking story involving Carrie Underwood and the Nebraska singer/writer today? Its all over the news. Good for her, standing up to what CU possibly took for herself. (Or, maybe it was simply Underwood's producers, and she wasn't even aware?) That's EXACTLY why those strict laws are in place. https://www.google.com/amp/s/www.cbsspo ... -song/amp/
Last edited by RockHarbor on Thu Jun 20, 2019 9:13 pm, edited 2 times in total.
I can get pushed out because I'm "too much" for some. Then, an observer of me comes suddenly swooping in to "fill my shoes." People are always more accepting of the new one, because their feathers aren't truly ruffled by them. (Yawn) I can count on it every time.
-
Csmac
- Home Owners Association
- Posts: 77
- Joined: Mon Sep 03, 2018 10:45 pm
Re: Oak View Mall - Redevelopment Plan
I think Oakview should follow suit to what Gateway mall in Lincoln has which is called round 1 family entertainment center. The Sears maybe would be a good place/entrance for a food hall for Oakview. Maybe the lower level could be the entertainment center.
-
RockHarbor
- Planning Board
- Posts: 2083
- Joined: Wed Mar 23, 2005 7:42 am
- Location: Silver State
Re: Oak View Mall - Redevelopment Plan
Gateway Mall did that? Gosh, back in 2013-2014 it wasnt that way then. I wonder how it is working out?Csmac wrote: Thu Jun 20, 2019 8:34 pm I think Oakview should follow suit to what Gateway mall in Lincoln has which is called round 1 family entertainment center. The Sears maybe would be a good place/entrance for a food hall for Oakview. Maybe the lower level could be the entertainment center.
I can get pushed out because I'm "too much" for some. Then, an observer of me comes suddenly swooping in to "fill my shoes." People are always more accepting of the new one, because their feathers aren't truly ruffled by them. (Yawn) I can count on it every time.
-
Omaha Cowboy
- The Don
- Posts: 1013719
- Joined: Wed Jan 07, 2004 5:31 am
- Location: West Omaha
Re: Oak View Mall - Redevelopment Pl
I like the entertainment center idea. Food is central/pivotal to entice families to want to come in, eat, then stay a while. That’s why I say a family/kid and all around attractive theme eatery like Rainforest Cafe would be a perfect fit.. Now before someone comes in with a smart aleck comment- Yes, I know it’s a pipe dream.. But then again, I believe thinking big, and not dismissing anything from the table is a key ingredient to turning around the Oakview Mousetrap...RockHarbor wrote: Thu Jun 20, 2019 8:41 pmGateway Mall did that? Gosh, back in 2013-2014 it wasnt that way then. I wonder how it is working out?Csmac wrote: Thu Jun 20, 2019 8:34 pm I think Oakview should follow suit to what Gateway mall in Lincoln has which is called round 1 family entertainment center. The Sears maybe would be a good place/entrance for a food hall for Oakview. Maybe the lower level could be the entertainment center.
Ciao..LiO...Peace
Go Cowboys!
-
RockHarbor
- Planning Board
- Posts: 2083
- Joined: Wed Mar 23, 2005 7:42 am
- Location: Silver State
Re: Oak View Mall - Redevelopment Plan
I'm sure the Rain Forest Cafe has been talked about before for Oak View Mall. I dont think its a "far stretch" myself. I think a special, unique attraction like that is perfect to remake Oak View as a prime Omaha destination.
A "pipe dream" is more... I would say... Wishing for that "hawt stuff", very clever song writer, from Nebraska, in the midst of a lawsuit w/ Carrie, singing her hit song "Game On" to me solo -- over some Nebraska football player.
lol
A "pipe dream" is more... I would say... Wishing for that "hawt stuff", very clever song writer, from Nebraska, in the midst of a lawsuit w/ Carrie, singing her hit song "Game On" to me solo -- over some Nebraska football player.
I can get pushed out because I'm "too much" for some. Then, an observer of me comes suddenly swooping in to "fill my shoes." People are always more accepting of the new one, because their feathers aren't truly ruffled by them. (Yawn) I can count on it every time.
-
nebugeater
- City Council
- Posts: 110957
- Joined: Wed Aug 04, 2004 6:07 pm
- Location: Gretna NE
Re: Oak View Mall - Redevelopment Plan
Round One at Gateway in Lincoln grand openening on Dec 15, 2018 Probably too soon to call it a success but from what my daughter says that has been there a few times as a UNL student it is pretty busy.RockHarbor wrote: Thu Jun 20, 2019 8:41 pmGateway Mall did that? Gosh, back in 2013-2014 it wasnt that way then. I wonder how it is working out?Csmac wrote: Thu Jun 20, 2019 8:34 pm I think Oakview should follow suit to what Gateway mall in Lincoln has which is called round 1 family entertainment center. The Sears maybe would be a good place/entrance for a food hall for Oakview. Maybe the lower level could be the entertainment center.
For the record NEBUGEATER does not equal BUGEATER !!!!!!!
-
Csmac
- Home Owners Association
- Posts: 77
- Joined: Mon Sep 03, 2018 10:45 pm
Re: Oak View Mall - Redevelopment Plan
I’ve noticed some tractors and lots of construction cones around the mall and in the parking lot nice to see the new owners of the mall are fixing up the parking lot that’s needed. I am also wondering how if Sears has been bought out already? For months they had a for sale sign on the former building and now it’s been down for a little while. now. Also the doors to the Younkers building now have a rush market coming soon sign. With the message I sent to the Oakview Facebook page last month and them saying that they have a big announcement coming soon it makes me wonder if the owners are being very tight lipped about some new behind the scene plans going on right now that are beyond the rush market moving in as an anchor.
-
RockHarbor
- Planning Board
- Posts: 2083
- Joined: Wed Mar 23, 2005 7:42 am
- Location: Silver State
Re: Oak View Mall - Redevelopment Plan
Thats cool! I had no idea. Last time I was in Gateway Mall was about 5 years ago...nebugeater wrote: Fri Jun 21, 2019 6:24 amRound One at Gateway in Lincoln grand openening on Dec 15, 2018 Probably too soon to call it a success but from what my daughter says that has been there a few times as a UNL student it is pretty busy.RockHarbor wrote: Thu Jun 20, 2019 8:41 pmGateway Mall did that? Gosh, back in 2013-2014 it wasnt that way then. I wonder how it is working out?Csmac wrote: Thu Jun 20, 2019 8:34 pm I think Oakview should follow suit to what Gateway mall in Lincoln has which is called round 1 family entertainment center. The Sears maybe would be a good place/entrance for a food hall for Oakview. Maybe the lower level could be the entertainment center.
I can get pushed out because I'm "too much" for some. Then, an observer of me comes suddenly swooping in to "fill my shoes." People are always more accepting of the new one, because their feathers aren't truly ruffled by them. (Yawn) I can count on it every time.
-
Omaha Cowboy
- The Don
- Posts: 1013719
- Joined: Wed Jan 07, 2004 5:31 am
- Location: West Omaha
Re: Oak View Mall - Redevelopment Plan
I’ve noticed this as well..Csmac wrote: Fri Jun 21, 2019 4:59 pm I’ve noticed some tractors and lots of construction cones around the mall and in the parking lot nice to see the new owners of the mall are fixing up the parking lot that’s needed. I am also wondering how if Sears has been bought out already? For months they had a for sale sign on the former building and now it’s been down for a little while. now. Also the doors to the Younkers building now have a rush market coming soon sign. With the message I sent to the Oakview Facebook page last month and them saying that they have a big announcement coming soon it makes me wonder if the owners are being very tight lipped about some new behind the scene plans going on right now that are beyond the rush market moving in as an anchor.
There’s definitely things churning in the Oakview Mall area of the Mousetrap..
I’m hoping we hear more official announcements before the end of Summer...
Ciao..LiO...Peace
Go Cowboys!
-
Csmac
- Home Owners Association
- Posts: 77
- Joined: Mon Sep 03, 2018 10:45 pm
Re: Oak View Mall - Redevelopment Plan
It looks like the Rush Market opens this Thursday the 25th. They have a private event that went on for members. Apparently there was a big turn up. On Oakview FB page it said there will be more announcements for the mall coming soon. It will be interesting to see what happens. Maybe a new food court/entertainment center in the forner sears or another anchor.
-
bigredmed1
- Parks & Recreation
- Posts: 1689
- Joined: Mon May 29, 2017 10:16 pm
Re: Oak View Mall - Redevelopment Plan
Did Rush Market leave 114th and Dodge?
-
nebugeater
- City Council
- Posts: 110957
- Joined: Wed Aug 04, 2004 6:07 pm
- Location: Gretna NE
Re: Oak View Mall - Redevelopment Plan
Not sure on that but the one on West Center closed
For the record NEBUGEATER does not equal BUGEATER !!!!!!!
-
bigredmed1
- Parks & Recreation
- Posts: 1689
- Joined: Mon May 29, 2017 10:16 pm
Re: Oak View Mall - Redevelopment Plan
Drove by there on an errand and the previous sign is gone. They must have closed the 114th location.
-
Omaha Cowboy
- The Don
- Posts: 1013719
- Joined: Wed Jan 07, 2004 5:31 am
- Location: West Omaha
Re: Oak View Mall - Redevelopment Plan
This is some nice news for the mall component of the Oakview Mousetrap. It’ll be interesting to hear what new announcements are on the horizon...Csmac wrote: Sat Jul 20, 2019 3:06 am It looks like the Rush Market opens this Thursday the 25th. They have a private event that went on for members. Apparently there was a big turn up. On Oakview FB page it said there will be more announcements for the mall coming soon. It will be interesting to see what happens. Maybe a new food court/entertainment center in the forner sears or another anchor.
Ciao..LiO...Peace
Go Cowboys!
-
Csmac
- Home Owners Association
- Posts: 77
- Joined: Mon Sep 03, 2018 10:45 pm
Re: Oak View Mall - Redevelopment Plan
Just found out that a restaurant/fast food called Grubbz which is a family owned restaurant will be moving in to the food court August 9. They offer hot wings, meatball subs and more.
-
nebugeater
- City Council
- Posts: 110957
- Joined: Wed Aug 04, 2004 6:07 pm
- Location: Gretna NE
Re: Oak View Mall - Redevelopment Plan
https://www.facebook.com/GrubbzKitchenCsmac wrote: Wed Jul 24, 2019 2:57 pm Just found out that a restaurant/fast food called Grubbz which is a family owned restaurant will be moving in to the food court August 9. They offer hot wings, meatball subs and more.
For the record NEBUGEATER does not equal BUGEATER !!!!!!!