I like this line:
"Ross Robb, a partner in the planned Riverfront Place south of Gallup University, said he sees an opportunity for hundreds, if not thousands, of residential units in downtown Omaha over time."
Well, let's see it, Ross
jiminomaha wrote:I personally have never taken One Renaissance Center seriously, I knew it would never come to fruition because its an idea way ahead of its time. Most Omahans/Nebraskans are opposed to living in CB and/or Iowa, let alone shelling out a couple hundred thousand dollars to do so, because they view it as "Council Bluffs" and undesireable. This is not necessarily my view, but to be honest, I have yet to meet a Nebraskan with a good thing to say about CB/Iowa.
I'm affraid I have to dissagree with you on all counts.jiminomaha wrote:I personally have never taken One Renaissance Center seriously, I knew it would never come to fruition because its an idea way ahead of its time. Most Omahans/Nebraskans are opposed to living in CB and/or Iowa, let alone shelling out a couple hundred thousand dollars to do so, because they view it as "Council Bluffs" and undesireable. This is not necessarily my view, but to be honest, I have yet to meet a Nebraskan with a good thing to say about CB/Iowa. At the present time, buying a condo in CB would be somewhat of a financial gamble for any Nebraskan in an unproven interstate condo market. Plus I don't think there is enough of a market in CB/Iowa alone to fill a project the size of One Renaissance Center. If, however, the condo market does extremely well in Omaha and demand is strong enough, and if the bridge gets built a condo tower on the CB/Iowa side could become viable in the next 2 to 3 years. But the Omaha Condo Market has to play itself out and prove itself to be successful enough and tight enough market over time to Investors before any condo market in CB can even dream of realistically taking off and getting the appropriate financing. Don't blame the City of CB for not supporting this project. This project has been floating around for 4 years, I think they were great in keeping it alive so long before mercifully killing it. Another project will be proposed and built in this location in due time, when the market conditions are right. Until then, we just have to be patient and faithful. And for goodness sakes, where on earth did any of you get the idea that this land might even have the slightest possibility of being turned into a casino. UGGHHH>
Of course there is! There's still tons of room on the riverfront, as well as Directly north of Qwest Center, and West of Riverftont Drive.Finn wrote:There is no more riverfront land on the Omaha side for this project...
North of Quest Center and west on Riverfront Drive are not riverfront parcels! All riverfront land is taken all the way to the Eppley area (not to say someone wouldn't sell a parcel). The last plot will be for the Riverfront Place condos. The point was that the One Renaissance Center project was closely tied to the river, which won't be possible on the Omaha side for a project of this size.Of course there is! There's still tons of room on the riverfront, as well as Directly north of Qwest Center, and West of Riverftont Drive.
All you needed to do was start the quote withAlmighty Tuna wrote:This is a quote
username wrote:, you've already ended the 'quote' tag!
you can also just click the "quote" button on each message.
I agree with most of that, but do you have any stats to prove otherwise?jiminomaha wrote:I love Omaha, and Downtown Omaha and I get happy and excited about every new condo project I discover downtown, just like the rest of you. But the Omaha condo market has not proven itself in anyway shape or form. First of all, what statistics do you or anyone have about how quickly these places are pre-selling other than SoMa? Secondly, even if the market is hot today, it could drop out from underneath our feet very very quickly. Alot of CDs sell 1 Million the first week and then sell maybe 200K the next year. Its a tough thing, you can't build the condos too slowly or you miss the moment, but yet you can't build them too quickly or you run the risk of saturation and lower selling prices. My point of my earlier post was simply that an CB condo project will only happen 2 to 3 years in the future and only after the condo market on the Omaha side of the market has proven itself in the LONG TERM. Also, regarding the ignorance comment, I'd say most of the time its simply because someone has lived in Omaha and NE their entire life that is likely to sway their decision to rent or buy on one side of the river rather than the other. Habit and/or nostalgia, not ignorance. Nice pics you posted btw.
Are you kidding?do you have any stats to prove otherwise?
No, I wasn't kidding. I'm still not really sure what your point was with that, but I'd like to understand. You say residential projects move forward based on proven statistics......well, that's exactly my point. How do you explain the recent surge of downtown residential projects. Something's got to be "proving" itself downtown, or there wouldn't be such a surge. I mean, of course I admit that there's a whole lot more "proving" to be done, but those seem to be soley matters of scale when it comes to downtown housing projects, not simply "can downtown support housing or not?".Are you kidding?
Except for the first couple of pioneer projects that are willing to take greater risk, residential projects move forward on proven statistics, not stats to prove otherwise. No bank is going to loan on a project because a study says downtown Omaha has stats indicating it is not a bad place to build! The condo development is the result of downtown Omaha growth. However, the residential component has not proven itself (jim's original point). This is not passé'
There will not be a casino going on that site. The old One Renaissance Center proposal has the city excited about the prospects for the site and the city is committed to residential use. The city had a study done which supports residential use and they will be requesting proposals early next year from developers.Anyone care to guess what the 'probability' of a casino going in where 1RC was to go.
