2019-2020 Winter Weather Thread

Grand Island, Hastings, Kearney, Des Moines, and the rest of Nebraska and Iowa
Louie
County Board
Posts: 4939
Joined: Fri Dec 23, 2011 10:23 pm
Location: Dundee

Re: 2019-2020 Winter Weather Thread

Post by Louie »

Brad wrote: Mon Jan 20, 2020 7:04 pm
Louie wrote: Mon Jan 20, 2020 6:45 pm Some neighborhood roads in the mornings have been really slick still.
Looks like Wednesday will be a copy of Friday where we get snow then rain... Hope they don't get worse.
Well thats just fantastic.
User avatar
Busguy2010
City Council
Posts: 7334
Joined: Sun Apr 10, 2011 12:32 am
Location: North Central Omaha

Re: 2019-2020 Winter Weather Thread

Post by Busguy2010 »

It wasn't that bad, was it?
Louie
County Board
Posts: 4939
Joined: Fri Dec 23, 2011 10:23 pm
Location: Dundee

Re: 2019-2020 Winter Weather Thread

Post by Louie »

Busguy2010 wrote: Tue Jan 21, 2020 7:58 pm It wasn't that bad, was it?
Depends on how much you need to drive and when. Unfortunately for me, on Friday it was a lot and the next few days it will be a lot as well.
User avatar
GrandpaaSmucker
Parks & Recreation
Posts: 1879
Joined: Wed Jun 28, 2017 8:09 pm

Re: 2019-2020 Winter Weather Thread

Post by GrandpaaSmucker »

They kept saying all day how it would be up to 32 degrees tonight. I am an idiot so I thought those weather goofs were full of it. Looks like the idiot was right it is only 19 degrees at 10pm.
User avatar
Busguy2010
City Council
Posts: 7334
Joined: Sun Apr 10, 2011 12:32 am
Location: North Central Omaha

Re: 2019-2020 Winter Weather Thread

Post by Busguy2010 »

GrandpaaSmucker wrote: Wed Jan 22, 2020 4:05 am They kept saying all day how it would be up to 32 degrees tonight. I am an idiot so I thought those weather goofs were full of it. Looks like the idiot was right it is only 19 degrees at 10pm.
According to the NWS, the temp is supposed to rise and stay steadily hovering just above freezing through the night and all the way to Thursday at sundown. At this moment, I'm recording 28, and again, it is supposed to rise.
User avatar
Omababe
Planning Board
Posts: 2467
Joined: Thu Jul 05, 2007 2:47 pm

Re: 2019-2020 Winter Weather Thread

Post by Omababe »

My Weather Wizard thingy says 34F out here and weather.com says 33.

I'm about to leave and I expect it to be more sloppy than slippery.
Padre
Human Relations
Posts: 929
Joined: Fri Jul 28, 2017 2:53 am
Location: Omaha

Re: 2019-2020 Winter Weather Thread

Post by Padre »

Omababe wrote: Wed Jan 22, 2020 10:51 am My Weather Wizard thingy says 34F out here and weather.com says 33.

I'm about to leave and I expect it to be more sloppy than slippery.
Pretty accurate. There are a few slick spots on side streets.
User avatar
Uffda
County Board
Posts: 4622
Joined: Mon Jun 13, 2005 2:52 am
Location: Land o Lakes, FL

Re: 2019-2020 Winter Weather Thread

Post by Uffda »

Would you keep that cold stuff up there!! This morning.


Image
We are the people our parents warned us about.

Jimmy Buffett
User avatar
Busguy2010
City Council
Posts: 7334
Joined: Sun Apr 10, 2011 12:32 am
Location: North Central Omaha

Re: 2019-2020 Winter Weather Thread

Post by Busguy2010 »

We are behind by about 2" at the end of the month, which isn't much. But we still have a good foot and a half of snow left to see to get to our normal level of snowfall on the season.
User avatar
Busguy2010
City Council
Posts: 7334
Joined: Sun Apr 10, 2011 12:32 am
Location: North Central Omaha

Re: 2019-2020 Winter Weather Thread

Post by Busguy2010 »

So Punxutawney Phil predicts an early spring on the behind of a relatively non-existent winter. With winter more in the rear-view mirror, we're running out of time to fit almost 16" or so of average snow left to fall.

I would prefer to see our average snowfall every winter, and I would much rather see it come early than late.
User avatar
Omaha Cowboy
The Don
Posts: 1013720
Joined: Wed Jan 07, 2004 11:31 am
Location: West Omaha

Re: 2019-2020 Winter Weather Thread

Post by Omaha Cowboy »

Busguy2010 wrote: Sun Feb 02, 2020 4:16 pm So Punxutawney Phil predicts an early spring on the behind of a relatively non-existent winter. With winter more in the rear-view mirror, we're running out of time to fit almost 16" or so of average snow left to fall.
I don’t know that it’s been a non existent winter. We’ve had several snow events over the past several weeks (but I get what you’re driving at)..

That said, I’m ALL FOR an early Spring.. And am enjoying this 60 degree day on February 2nd...

Ciao..LiO...Peace
Go Cowboys!
User avatar
Omaha Cowboy
The Don
Posts: 1013720
Joined: Wed Jan 07, 2004 11:31 am
Location: West Omaha

Re: 2019-2020 Winter Weather Thread

Post by Omaha Cowboy »

Well, April 2nd and right on que, winter has not left us yet..

Winter Weather Advisory for the Omaha metro overnight and expires tomorrow afternoon at 1pm...

Ciao..LiO...Peace
Go Cowboys!
User avatar
Busguy2010
City Council
Posts: 7334
Joined: Sun Apr 10, 2011 12:32 am
Location: North Central Omaha

Re: 2019-2020 Winter Weather Thread

Post by Busguy2010 »

it got colder quicker than expected today causing the rain to freeze over. :sly: How do you figure today was the first day of winter (I mean spring) where I had a nice layer of ice on my truck windows
User avatar
skinzfan23
City Council
Posts: 11643
Joined: Mon Feb 09, 2004 5:26 pm
Location: Omaha/Bellevue

Re: 2019-2020 Winter Weather Thread

Post by skinzfan23 »

Not worried, as we all know this time of year can change quickly. The projected high on Tuesday is 81!
User avatar
Omaha Cowboy
The Don
Posts: 1013720
Joined: Wed Jan 07, 2004 11:31 am
Location: West Omaha

Re: 2019-2020 Winter Weather Thread

Post by Omaha Cowboy »

I saw that- low 80’s by Tuesday, lol...

Ciao..LiO...Peace
Go Cowboys!
User avatar
Omaha Cowboy
The Don
Posts: 1013720
Joined: Wed Jan 07, 2004 11:31 am
Location: West Omaha

Re: 2019-2020 Winter Weather Thread

Post by Omaha Cowboy »

I see that starting overnight Saturday, into Easter Sunday, the weather will go downhill and their may be a “slushy snow” event in the metro.. The extended forecast shows highs in the lower to mid 40’s forecast for most of next week, some 20+ degrees below average for this time of year..

Considering we had very little, if any winter weather during the usual winter months, this stretch in April looks pretty darn rough...

Ciao..LiO...Peace
Go Cowboys!
User avatar
Busguy2010
City Council
Posts: 7334
Joined: Sun Apr 10, 2011 12:32 am
Location: North Central Omaha

Re: 2019-2020 Winter Weather Thread

Post by Busguy2010 »

Omaha Cowboy wrote: Fri Apr 10, 2020 2:04 am Considering we had very little, if any winter weather during the usual winter months, this stretch in April looks pretty darn rough...

Ciao..LiO...Peace
It only seems right. I would much rather have a dead cold and snowy winter with a somewhat mildly predictable March/April. In terms of my garden prep, last year was awful because it was so predominantly cool and wet all up until June. It made me wonder if the late start to winter had something to do with it. Now this year with the lack of winter weather, how will that deficit be made up this year? If theres a correlation between mild winters and unpredictable springs...
User avatar
Omaha Cowboy
The Don
Posts: 1013720
Joined: Wed Jan 07, 2004 11:31 am
Location: West Omaha

Re: 2019-2020 Winter Weather Thread

Post by Omaha Cowboy »

Busguy2010 wrote: Fri Apr 10, 2020 5:22 am
Omaha Cowboy wrote: Fri Apr 10, 2020 2:04 am Considering we had very little, if any winter weather during the usual winter months, this stretch in April looks pretty darn rough...

Ciao..LiO...Peace
It only seems right. Now this year with the lack of winter weather, how will that deficit be made up this year? If theres a correlation between mild winters and unpredictable springs...
Hopefully the deficit will be very limited and isolated to just this next week. We’re beginning to get too far along in April for “slushy snow” and hard freezes to continue much past one week from the 10th of this month, if we’re going on history...

Ciao..LiO...Peace
Go Cowboys!
Cermak
Planning Board
Posts: 2334
Joined: Thu Nov 29, 2018 7:02 pm

Re: 2019-2020 Winter Weather Thread

Post by Cermak »

This was another mild winter. Probably in the last 10 years all of Omaha’s winters have been mild except for last year. I don’t think we even had 20 inches of snow this winter.
User avatar
skinzfan23
City Council
Posts: 11643
Joined: Mon Feb 09, 2004 5:26 pm
Location: Omaha/Bellevue

Re: 2019-2020 Winter Weather Thread

Post by skinzfan23 »

Nope we haven't had 20 in.:

Image
User avatar
Busguy2010
City Council
Posts: 7334
Joined: Sun Apr 10, 2011 12:32 am
Location: North Central Omaha

Re: 2019-2020 Winter Weather Thread

Post by Busguy2010 »

Last freeze last year was the 14th, and the year before, the 16th. Looks like it could be later this year. The difference of the last two years was that the last freezes were isolated days, preceded by warmer nights. This year looks to be a departure from that with the way it will be a string of very cold nights.
User avatar
Coyote
City Council
Posts: 34366
Joined: Tue Nov 18, 2003 5:18 pm
Yahoo Messenger: jestcoyote
Location: Aksarben Village

Re: 2019-2020 Winter Weather Thread

Post by Coyote »

image.jpeg
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
User avatar
Coyote
City Council
Posts: 34366
Joined: Tue Nov 18, 2003 5:18 pm
Yahoo Messenger: jestcoyote
Location: Aksarben Village

Re: 2019-2020 Winter Weather Thread

Post by Coyote »

image.jpeg
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
User avatar
Coyote
City Council
Posts: 34366
Joined: Tue Nov 18, 2003 5:18 pm
Yahoo Messenger: jestcoyote
Location: Aksarben Village

Re: 2019-2020 Winter Weather Thread

Post by Coyote »

image.jpeg
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
User avatar
Busguy2010
City Council
Posts: 7334
Joined: Sun Apr 10, 2011 12:32 am
Location: North Central Omaha

Re: 2019-2020 Winter Weather Thread

Post by Busguy2010 »

If I'm not mistaken, this looks like it will be a fairly significant snow event for how late it is in the year. It's making me wonder what the biggest latest recorded snowfall is for Omaha. I'll wait til tomorrow for that.
Louie
County Board
Posts: 4939
Joined: Fri Dec 23, 2011 10:23 pm
Location: Dundee

Re: 2019-2020 Winter Weather Thread

Post by Louie »

They've scaled it back for Omaha quite a bit. We shall see if the system out west makes it here.
User avatar
skinzfan23
City Council
Posts: 11643
Joined: Mon Feb 09, 2004 5:26 pm
Location: Omaha/Bellevue

Re: 2019-2020 Winter Weather Thread

Post by skinzfan23 »

This is from the National Weather Service:

I think these guys are the only ones that are further off than the local weathermen. Maybe its because they are a gov't agency, but they always blow everything out of proportion.

Image
EastCB
Library Board
Posts: 383
Joined: Thu Oct 05, 2006 4:30 pm
Location: Council Bluffs

Re: 2019-2020 Winter Weather Thread

Post by EastCB »

skinzfan23 wrote: Thu Apr 16, 2020 1:37 pm This is from the National Weather Service:

I think these guys are the only ones that are further off than the local weathermen. Maybe its because they are a gov't agency, but they always blow everything out of proportion.

Image
Well,I think they got this one right.
Louie
County Board
Posts: 4939
Joined: Fri Dec 23, 2011 10:23 pm
Location: Dundee

Re: 2019-2020 Winter Weather Thread

Post by Louie »

Yeah, my weather app totally borked it this morning. 6-8 inches and a quick melt with warm weather on the way. Look out basements!!!
User avatar
Busguy2010
City Council
Posts: 7334
Joined: Sun Apr 10, 2011 12:32 am
Location: North Central Omaha

Re: 2019-2020 Winter Weather Thread

Post by Busguy2010 »

skinzfan23 wrote: Thu Apr 16, 2020 1:37 pm This is from the National Weather Service:

I think these guys are the only ones that are further off than the local weathermen. Maybe its because they are a gov't agency, but they always blow everything out of proportion.
To be honest, I had my doubts too, but this aged verrrry poorly. It looks like I got at least 6" in Central Omaha. Very surprising.

To answer my own earlier question, it looks like this is going to be the second biggest and latest snow event on record, with April 20th, 1992 being #1 with 8.7".
User avatar
Omaha Cowboy
The Don
Posts: 1013720
Joined: Wed Jan 07, 2004 11:31 am
Location: West Omaha

Re: 2019-2020 Winter Weather Thread

Post by Omaha Cowboy »

Fortunately, all the white stuff that fell yesterday will be gone quickly by Saturday afternoon..

Glad I mowed my lawn on Wednesday...

Ciao..LiO...Peace
Go Cowboys!
User avatar
skinzfan23
City Council
Posts: 11643
Joined: Mon Feb 09, 2004 5:26 pm
Location: Omaha/Bellevue

Re: 2019-2020 Winter Weather Thread

Post by skinzfan23 »

Yeah, I was surprised that the Weather Service got it pretty close. I am pretty sure this is the first time this year that they were even close to a snowfall prediction/total equaling.

Thankfully most of the streets are already melted and drying as of this morning and with the warmth expected this weekend, the snow won't be on the grass much longer either.
User avatar
Busguy2010
City Council
Posts: 7334
Joined: Sun Apr 10, 2011 12:32 am
Location: North Central Omaha

Re: 2019-2020 Winter Weather Thread

Post by Busguy2010 »

I love winter weather and we got very little of it this season, so I'm sad this went away in the blink of an eye. I think this was our heaviest snowfall this season (I never had that much snow sitting on my greenhouse roof) and now it's like it didnt happen. Crazy when the weather changes so quickly you barely have time to notice.
Louie
County Board
Posts: 4939
Joined: Fri Dec 23, 2011 10:23 pm
Location: Dundee

Re: 2019-2020 Winter Weather Thread

Post by Louie »

Busguy2010 wrote: Sat Apr 18, 2020 4:47 am I love winter weather and we got very little of it this season, so I'm sad this went away in the blink of an eye. I think this was our heaviest snowfall this season (I never had that much snow sitting on my greenhouse roof) and now it's like it didnt happen. Crazy when the weather changes so quickly you barely have time to notice.
The speed at which this melted is probably the most drastic I've seen in my life. 8 inches disappeared in 24 hours in most parts.
User avatar
Omababe
Planning Board
Posts: 2467
Joined: Thu Jul 05, 2007 2:47 pm

Re: 2019-2020 Winter Weather Thread

Post by Omababe »

Well, after several wolf-cries, the weatherguessers finally got one partly right. We had maybe 3-4 inches on the grass. Grass, that is, as what hit the pavement melted immediately. All gone now.
User avatar
Omaha Cowboy
The Don
Posts: 1013720
Joined: Wed Jan 07, 2004 11:31 am
Location: West Omaha

Re: 2019-2020 Winter Weather Thread

Post by Omaha Cowboy »

And I’ve never been more delighted to see snow melt so quickly...

Ciao..LiO...Peace
Go Cowboys!
User avatar
Busguy2010
City Council
Posts: 7334
Joined: Sun Apr 10, 2011 12:32 am
Location: North Central Omaha

Re: 2019-2020 Winter Weather Thread

Post by Busguy2010 »

I guess depending what part of town you were in you might have gotten less. I didn't measure but I definitely had at least 6" sitting on patio furniture by the time it was over. Wish I stuck a ruler in it because it was definitely a strong 6".
User avatar
Coyote
City Council
Posts: 34366
Joined: Tue Nov 18, 2003 5:18 pm
Yahoo Messenger: jestcoyote
Location: Aksarben Village

Re: 2019-2020 Winter Weather Thread

Post by Coyote »

image.jpeg
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
User avatar
skinzfan23
City Council
Posts: 11643
Joined: Mon Feb 09, 2004 5:26 pm
Location: Omaha/Bellevue

Re: 2019-2020 Winter Weather Thread

Post by skinzfan23 »

Is it safe to say that we can put a fork in this winter season yet?
User avatar
Busguy2010
City Council
Posts: 7334
Joined: Sun Apr 10, 2011 12:32 am
Location: North Central Omaha

Re: 2019-2020 Winter Weather Thread

Post by Busguy2010 »

skinzfan23 wrote: Mon Apr 27, 2020 2:18 pm Is it safe to say that we can put a fork in this winter season yet?
The latest snow ever was May 2nd, so usually if they aren't talking about snow in the extended forecast after the last freeze (historically right around tax day +- a couple days), I stick a fork in it. It's been a very reliable rule of thumb since that late snow happened in 2013.