Mega Saver (90th & Fort) Former Pizza Hut
-
bbinks
- Parks & Recreation
- Posts: 1552
- Joined: Thu Sep 14, 2006 4:10 pm
Mega Saver (90th & Fort) Former Pizza Hut
How long will it sit there vacant? The former Fantasy's has been a weed farm for awhile now.
-
Greg S
- City Council
- Posts: 8991
- Joined: Thu Aug 26, 2004 10:46 am
Re: Pizza Hut 90th & Fort closed.
That's a bummer. Our fist house was in that area. Lived there from 1998-2003. Initially that was a Hardee's then sometime in that time frame it converted to a Pizza Hut. They put quite a bit of money into the property when they converted.
Greg
Greg
-
bbinks
- Parks & Recreation
- Posts: 1552
- Joined: Thu Sep 14, 2006 4:10 pm
Re: Pizza Hut 90th & Fort closed.
I think it was a D'Lites before the Hardees.Greg S wrote: Thu Sep 24, 2020 9:23 am That's a bummer. Our fist house was in that area. Lived there from 1998-2003. Initially that was a Hardee's then sometime in that time frame it converted to a Pizza Hut. They put quite a bit of money into the property when they converted.
Greg
-
Omaha Cowboy
- The Don
- Posts: 1013719
- Joined: Wed Jan 07, 2004 5:31 am
- Location: West Omaha
Re: Pizza Hut 90th & Fort closed.
Does anyone remember when a Hot ‘n Now fast food restaurant was located in that general area?.. I believe it was in the mid 80’s..I remember it because my girlfriend lived in this area back then and I used to drive by it all the time..then, if memory serves, that chain pulled out of the Omaha market several years later...
Ciao..LiO...Peace
Ciao..LiO...Peace
Go Cowboys!
-
ChadJK
- Planning Board
- Posts: 2504
- Joined: Tue Feb 19, 2019 2:51 pm
Re: Pizza Hut 90th & Fort closed.
Not to hijack this thread too much with nostalgia, but...Omaha Cowboy wrote: Thu Sep 24, 2020 12:56 pm Does anyone remember when a Hot ‘n Now fast food restaurant was located in that general area?.. I believe it was in the mid 80’s..I remember it because my girlfriend lived in this area back then and I used to drive by it all the time..then, if memory serves, that chain pulled out of the Omaha market several years later...
I believe that was early 1990s. Hot-n-Now was PepsiCo's attempt at a burger chain. At the time PepsiCo owned Pizza Hut, Taco Bell, and KFC. I was acquainted with the guy that ran the one near 48th & L. He said they were set up for failure from the beginning with almost no advertising.
Before Hot-n-Now came to town PepsiCo toyed with idea of Taco Bell serving burgers. Remember when Taco Bell served fries for the first time back in the early 1990s? They were suppose to start serving burgers too. PepsiCo backed off the burgers but decided to go with the fries. I was a teenager working at Taco Bell in 1992 and we had burger patties in the freezer and were training on grilling them.
-
Greg S
- City Council
- Posts: 8991
- Joined: Thu Aug 26, 2004 10:46 am
Re: Pizza Hut 90th & Fort closed.
I want to say the Hot N Now was down near where the Sonic is now?Omaha Cowboy wrote: Thu Sep 24, 2020 12:56 pm Does anyone remember when a Hot ‘n Now fast food restaurant was located in that general area?.. I believe it was in the mid 80’s..I remember it because my girlfriend lived in this area back then and I used to drive by it all the time..then, if memory serves, that chain pulled out of the Omaha market several years later...
Ciao..LiO...Peace
The two I remember most were the ones of the 42nd and the interstate (BK is there now) and one on the east side of SaddleCreek, north of Dodge.
Greg
-
Omaha Cowboy
- The Don
- Posts: 1013719
- Joined: Wed Jan 07, 2004 5:31 am
- Location: West Omaha
Re: Pizza Hut 90th & Fort closed.
Ahh I see. You’re probably right- about 1992ish. I was still driving into that area almost daily in the early 90’s too. Just got my decade mixed up. I remember eating at Hot ‘n Now a couple of times back then. It was nothing special- just basically burgers and fries.. But it was not bad either..ChadJK wrote: Thu Sep 24, 2020 1:23 pmNot to hijack this thread too much with nostalgia, but...Omaha Cowboy wrote: Thu Sep 24, 2020 12:56 pm Does anyone remember when a Hot ‘n Now fast food restaurant was located in that general area?.. I believe it was in the mid 80’s..I remember it because my girlfriend lived in this area back then and I used to drive by it all the time..then, if memory serves, that chain pulled out of the Omaha market several years later...
I believe that was early 1990s. Hot-n-Now was PepsiCo's attempt at a burger chain. At the time PepsiCo owned Pizza Hut, Taco Bell, and KFC. I was acquainted with the guy that ran the one near 48th & L. He said they were set up for failure from the beginning with almost no advertising.
Before Hot-n-Now came to town PepsiCo toyed with idea of Taco Bell serving burgers. Remember when Taco Bell served fries for the first time back in the early 1990s? They were suppose to start serving burgers too. PepsiCo backed off the burgers but decided to go with the fries. I was a teenager working at Taco Bell in 1992 and we had burger patties in the freezer and were training on grilling them.
Anywho, back to Pizza Hot/90th and Fort discussion...
Ciao..LiO...Peace
Go Cowboys!
-
Omaha Cowboy
- The Don
- Posts: 1013719
- Joined: Wed Jan 07, 2004 5:31 am
- Location: West Omaha
Re: Pizza Hut 90th & Fort closed.
You’re probably right on that Greg. That Hot ‘n Now was definitely on north 90th..north past Maple street...Greg S wrote: Thu Sep 24, 2020 2:00 pmI want to say the Hot N Now was down near where the Sonic is now?Omaha Cowboy wrote: Thu Sep 24, 2020 12:56 pm Does anyone remember when a Hot ‘n Now fast food restaurant was located in that general area?.. I believe it was in the mid 80’s..I remember it because my girlfriend lived in this area back then and I used to drive by it all the time..then, if memory serves, that chain pulled out of the Omaha market several years later...
Ciao..LiO...Peace
The two I remember most were the ones of the 42nd and the interstate (BK is there now) and one on the east side of SaddleCreek, north of Dodge.
Greg
Ciao..LiO...Peace
Go Cowboys!
-
Uffda
- County Board
- Posts: 4621
- Joined: Sun Jun 12, 2005 9:52 pm
- Location: Land o Lakes, FL
Re: Pizza Hut 90th & Fort closed.
I have to say I lived just north of there from 2003-2019 and never went in. I am surprised it lasted that long. Unfortunately that corner is kind of a dead zone with the gas station torn down and now Pizza Hut — maybe Runza should relocate to that building.
We are the people our parents warned us about.
Jimmy Buffett
Jimmy Buffett
-
bbinks
- Parks & Recreation
- Posts: 1552
- Joined: Thu Sep 14, 2006 4:10 pm
Re: Pizza Hut 90th & Fort closed.
It was where Sonic is now. I worked for them during my Taco Bell years.Omaha Cowboy wrote: Thu Sep 24, 2020 12:56 pm Does anyone remember when a Hot ‘n Now fast food restaurant was located in that general area?.. I believe it was in the mid 80’s..I remember it because my girlfriend lived in this area back then and I used to drive by it all the time..then, if memory serves, that chain pulled out of the Omaha market several years later...
Ciao..LiO...Peace
The 108th between L & Q was torn down for the BK rebuild, Council Bluffs is a Krispy Kreme, Saddlecreek is currently a D'Leons Mexican, and as previously mentioned, 42nd is a BK.
-
swinquest
- Home Owners Association
- Posts: 191
- Joined: Sun Mar 30, 2014 11:46 pm
Re: Pizza Hut 90th & Fort closed.
Agreed...that Runza is in too small of an area.Uffda wrote: Thu Sep 24, 2020 5:03 pm I have to say I lived just north of there from 2003-2019 and never went in. I am surprised it lasted that long. Unfortunately that corner is kind of a dead zone with the gas station torn down and now Pizza Hut — maybe Runza should relocate to that building.
-
bbinks
- Parks & Recreation
- Posts: 1552
- Joined: Thu Sep 14, 2006 4:10 pm
Re: Pizza Hut 90th & Fort closed.
I recall the Runza being drive through only (pre covid) for a dining room remodel. Its a nice store, but small.swinquest wrote: Wed Oct 21, 2020 9:37 pmAgreed...that Runza is in too small of an area.Uffda wrote: Thu Sep 24, 2020 5:03 pm I have to say I lived just north of there from 2003-2019 and never went in. I am surprised it lasted that long. Unfortunately that corner is kind of a dead zone with the gas station torn down and now Pizza Hut — maybe Runza should relocate to that building.
What does need a new location is the Abelrado's. The VIllage Inn that closed on 90th has dining room work going on. Something seems to be going in. Also noticed the closed Wendy's is going up for auction.
90th isn't as vibrant as it once was.
-
swinquest
- Home Owners Association
- Posts: 191
- Joined: Sun Mar 30, 2014 11:46 pm
Re: Pizza Hut 90th & Fort closed.
Village Inn is becoming Laundry World....24 hour laundromat. Sign is already up.bbinks wrote: Thu Oct 22, 2020 6:14 amI recall the Runza being drive through only (pre covid) for a dining room remodel. Its a nice store, but small.swinquest wrote: Wed Oct 21, 2020 9:37 pmAgreed...that Runza is in too small of an area.Uffda wrote: Thu Sep 24, 2020 5:03 pm I have to say I lived just north of there from 2003-2019 and never went in. I am surprised it lasted that long. Unfortunately that corner is kind of a dead zone with the gas station torn down and now Pizza Hut — maybe Runza should relocate to that building.
What does need a new location is the Abelrado's. The VIllage Inn that closed on 90th has dining room work going on. Something seems to be going in. Also noticed the closed Wendy's is going up for auction.
90th isn't as vibrant as it once was.
-
bbinks
- Parks & Recreation
- Posts: 1552
- Joined: Thu Sep 14, 2006 4:10 pm
Re: Pizza Hut 90th & Fort closed.
Beats another self storage.swinquest wrote: Fri Nov 13, 2020 10:00 pmVillage Inn is becoming Laundry World....24 hour laundromat. Sign is already up.bbinks wrote: Thu Oct 22, 2020 6:14 amI recall the Runza being drive through only (pre covid) for a dining room remodel. Its a nice store, but small.swinquest wrote: Wed Oct 21, 2020 9:37 pmAgreed...that Runza is in too small of an area.Uffda wrote: Thu Sep 24, 2020 5:03 pm I have to say I lived just north of there from 2003-2019 and never went in. I am surprised it lasted that long. Unfortunately that corner is kind of a dead zone with the gas station torn down and now Pizza Hut — maybe Runza should relocate to that building.
What does need a new location is the Abelrado's. The VIllage Inn that closed on 90th has dining room work going on. Something seems to be going in. Also noticed the closed Wendy's is going up for auction.
90th isn't as vibrant as it once was.
-
nativeomahan
- County Board
- Posts: 6013
- Joined: Fri Nov 12, 2004 2:46 pm
- Location: Omaha and Puerto Vallarta
Re: Pizza Hut 90th & Fort closed.
I get it for small towns with no good pizza choices, but why would anyone in a city with lots of good pizza choices eat at a Pizza Hut?
Apparently few people would, if given a choice.
Apparently few people would, if given a choice.
-
bbinks
- Parks & Recreation
- Posts: 1552
- Joined: Thu Sep 14, 2006 4:10 pm
Re: Pizza Hut 90th & Fort closed.
Pizza hut, Domino's, papa john's, toppers..... are more of a budget friendly option than a Pizza connoisseur option. Kids birthday party isn't going to pick godfathers or mamas at $20 + a pie.nativeomahan wrote: Tue Nov 17, 2020 5:15 pm I get it for small towns with no good pizza choices, but why would anyone in a city with lots of good pizza choices eat at a Pizza Hut?
Apparently few people would, if given a choice.
-
Omaha Cowboy
- The Don
- Posts: 1013719
- Joined: Wed Jan 07, 2004 5:31 am
- Location: West Omaha
Re: Pizza Hut 90th & Fort closed.
Don’t forget Little Caesar’s on the budget friendly kids birthday party pizza list...bbinks wrote: Tue Nov 17, 2020 6:48 pmPizza hut, Domino's, papa john's, toppers..... are more of a budget friendly option than a Pizza connoisseur option. Kids birthday party isn't going to pick godfathers or mamas at $20 + a pie.nativeomahan wrote: Tue Nov 17, 2020 5:15 pm I get it for small towns with no good pizza choices, but why would anyone in a city with lots of good pizza choices eat at a Pizza Hut?
Apparently few people would, if given a choice.
Ciao..LiO...Peace
Go Cowboys!
-
nativeomahan
- County Board
- Posts: 6013
- Joined: Fri Nov 12, 2004 2:46 pm
- Location: Omaha and Puerto Vallarta
Re: Pizza Hut 90th & Fort closed.
I actually went to this very Pizza Hut location a couple of years ago for a kids’ 4th Birthday party. I have zero recollection of the food.bbinks wrote: Tue Nov 17, 2020 6:48 pmPizza hut, Domino's, papa john's, toppers..... are more of a budget friendly option than a Pizza connoisseur option. Kids birthday party isn't going to pick godfathers or mamas at $20 + a pie.nativeomahan wrote: Tue Nov 17, 2020 5:15 pm I get it for small towns with no good pizza choices, but why would anyone in a city with lots of good pizza choices eat at a Pizza Hut?
Apparently few people would, if given a choice.
A restaurant cannot survive on renting out their party room. Especially during a pandemic. You gotta have quality food coming out of your kitchen. If cheap pizza is your goal try the frozen food aisle at any grocery store.
-
Brad
- Photographer
- Posts: 1036562
- Joined: Sat Feb 28, 2004 6:03 pm
- Location: Omaha, NE
Re: Mega Saver (90th & Fort) Former Pizza Hut
No surprise here, another Mega Saver.swinquest wrote: Tue Sep 27, 2022 10:36 pm Also - any word on what is going on with the Pizza Hut? I saw some workers going in and out of the building within the past week....windows are all boarded up.
Parcel ID (PIN) - 0141840002
Project Description:
MEGA SAVER 90TH AND FORT
MEGA SAVER Total Building Area: 5570

Omaha Skyline Photos, Omaha Aerial Photos, and More.
Website: www.bradwilliamsphotography.com
Facebook: www.facebook.com/bradwilliamsphotography
Twitter: www.twitter.com/bradwphoto
Instagram: www.instagram.com/bradwilliamsphotography
YouTube: www.youtube.com/@bradwilliamsphoto
-
S.O.Boy
- Human Relations
- Posts: 829
- Joined: Sun Apr 05, 2020 10:42 pm
- Location: Pisces–Cetus Supercluster Complex
Re: Mega Saver (90th & Fort) Former Pizza Hut
Good for 90th its getting the Starbucks and Mega Savers that its lacking. (That was sarcasm)Brad wrote: Wed Sep 28, 2022 9:19 amNo surprise here, another Mega Saver.swinquest wrote: Tue Sep 27, 2022 10:36 pm Also - any word on what is going on with the Pizza Hut? I saw some workers going in and out of the building within the past week....windows are all boarded up.
Parcel ID (PIN) - 0141840002
Project Description:
MEGA SAVER 90TH AND FORT
MEGA SAVER Total Building Area: 5570
-
djc311
- Planning Board
- Posts: 2139
- Joined: Tue Mar 09, 2004 10:44 pm
- Location: Omaha
Re: Mega Saver (90th & Fort) Former Pizza Hut
I believe Mega Savers have an immediate positive impact to property values in the general vicinity once they open.Brad wrote: Wed Sep 28, 2022 9:19 amNo surprise here, another Mega Saver.swinquest wrote: Tue Sep 27, 2022 10:36 pm Also - any word on what is going on with the Pizza Hut? I saw some workers going in and out of the building within the past week....windows are all boarded up.
Parcel ID (PIN) - 0141840002
Project Description:
MEGA SAVER 90TH AND FORT
MEGA SAVER Total Building Area: 5570
Hey at least if this one is an old Pizza Hut they shouldn't have a car wash that they'll end up shutting down and stuffing full of |expletive|!
-
OPlaya
- Home Owners Association
- Posts: 153
- Joined: Wed Jun 14, 2006 8:53 pm
Re: Mega Saver (90th & Fort) Former Pizza Hut
At least Runza next door has a new building.
-
S.O.Boy
- Human Relations
- Posts: 829
- Joined: Sun Apr 05, 2020 10:42 pm
- Location: Pisces–Cetus Supercluster Complex
Re: Mega Saver (90th & Fort) Former Pizza Hut
And their old lot is additional parking and a large green space.
-
swinquest
- Home Owners Association
- Posts: 191
- Joined: Sun Mar 30, 2014 11:46 pm
Re: Mega Saver (90th & Fort) Former Pizza Hut
Aren't there enough Mega Savers in the area? 90th/Maple, 87th/Maple, 90th/Fort coming soon, 72nd Blondodjc311 wrote: Wed Sep 28, 2022 9:29 amI believe Mega Savers have an immediate positive impact to property values in the general vicinity once they open.Brad wrote: Wed Sep 28, 2022 9:19 amNo surprise here, another Mega Saver.swinquest wrote: Tue Sep 27, 2022 10:36 pm Also - any word on what is going on with the Pizza Hut? I saw some workers going in and out of the building within the past week....windows are all boarded up.
Parcel ID (PIN) - 0141840002
Project Description:
MEGA SAVER 90TH AND FORT
MEGA SAVER Total Building Area: 5570
Hey at least if this one is an old Pizza Hut they shouldn't have a car wash that they'll end up shutting down and stuffing full of |expletive|!
Soon they are going to be Starbucks Jr.
-
ProgKingHughesker
- Home Owners Association
- Posts: 178
- Joined: Sat Jun 02, 2018 7:32 pm
Re: Mega Saver (90th & Fort) Former Pizza Hut
That's actually convenient to me and they have the cheapest liquor so I can't complain
Yes, I know that makes me trashy af
Yes, I know that makes me trashy af
-
S.O.Boy
- Human Relations
- Posts: 829
- Joined: Sun Apr 05, 2020 10:42 pm
- Location: Pisces–Cetus Supercluster Complex
Re: Mega Saver (90th & Fort) Former Pizza Hut
It dawned on me this has to be the most Omaha intersection in the city. Southeast corner Walgreens. Northeast corner Mega Saver. Northwest corner Starbucks. Southwest corner gas station has a car wash.
-
swinquest
- Home Owners Association
- Posts: 191
- Joined: Sun Mar 30, 2014 11:46 pm
Re: Mega Saver (90th & Fort) Former Pizza Hut
Is there an ETA as to when this location is planning on opening?
-
nativeomahan
- County Board
- Posts: 6013
- Joined: Fri Nov 12, 2004 2:46 pm
- Location: Omaha and Puerto Vallarta
Re: Mega Saver (90th & Fort) Former Pizza Hut
Hahaha. Good point.S.O.Boy wrote: Thu Apr 06, 2023 6:25 pm It dawned on me this has to be the most Omaha intersection in the city. Southeast corner Walgreens. Northeast corner Mega Saver. Northwest corner Starbucks. Southwest corner gas station has a car wash.