2021 Weather thread-
-
nebugeater
- City Council
- Posts: 110957
- Joined: Wed Aug 04, 2004 6:07 pm
- Location: Gretna NE
Re: 2021 Weather thread-
my tape measure said 13" in multiple places I measured this where the snow was undisturbed and not drifted. This is in Gretna
For the record NEBUGEATER does not equal BUGEATER !!!!!!!
-
Cermak
- Planning Board
- Posts: 2331
- Joined: Thu Nov 29, 2018 1:02 pm
Re: 2021 Weather thread-
I’ve upped mine to 11 inches now. This ranks as one of Omaha’s all time biggest single day snowstorms. A Big time snowstorm for sure. It’s going to take a while to dig out of this.Cermak wrote: Mon Jan 25, 2021 10:07 pm Looks like 9-10” inches at my house SW Omaha W. Center rd just west of I-680. Probably one of the bigger snowstorms in the last 10 years.
-
Brad
- Photographer
- Posts: 1036562
- Joined: Sat Feb 28, 2004 6:03 pm
- Location: Omaha, NE
Re: 2021 Weather thread-
Officially at Eppley, 12.5" total and 11.9" for Monday
11.9" is officially the 7th largest one day snowfall in Omaha, and is the biggest one day total since the Blizzard of 75
12.5" which is the 20th largest 2-day total.
11.9" is officially the 7th largest one day snowfall in Omaha, and is the biggest one day total since the Blizzard of 75
12.5" which is the 20th largest 2-day total.

Omaha Skyline Photos, Omaha Aerial Photos, and More.
Website: www.bradwilliamsphotography.com
Facebook: www.facebook.com/bradwilliamsphotography
Twitter: www.twitter.com/bradwphoto
Instagram: www.instagram.com/bradwilliamsphotography
YouTube: www.youtube.com/@bradwilliamsphoto
-
skinzfan23
- City Council
- Posts: 11629
- Joined: Mon Feb 09, 2004 11:26 am
- Location: Omaha/Bellevue
Re: 2021 Weather thread-
Maybe I am measuring mine wrong, but I measured in several places in Bellevue, SW of Offutt (one of the areas that was supposed to get more) and we have 9.5 in.
-
Busguy2010
- City Council
- Posts: 7328
- Joined: Sat Apr 09, 2011 7:32 pm
- Location: North Central Omaha
Re: 2021 Weather thread-
Hopefully that isn't a premonition for how our tornado season will go. I'll go measure mine here in a little while.
-
Louie
- County Board
- Posts: 4936
- Joined: Fri Dec 23, 2011 4:23 pm
- Location: Dundee
Re: 2021 Weather thread-
Dundee south of Dodge comes in at 10"
-
Busguy2010
- City Council
- Posts: 7328
- Joined: Sat Apr 09, 2011 7:32 pm
- Location: North Central Omaha
Re: 2021 Weather thread-
I didn't really have a reliable area to measure... Somehow the best area I had only came out to 6", but I definitely think that was from it being blown away. I'll just say what we got here in North Central was slightly below what is being reported. Even in the thickest built up areas, I'm only seeing about 12". I'll give my location 9.5" tops. Still very impressive.
-
Omaha Cowboy
- The Don
- Posts: 1013719
- Joined: Wed Jan 07, 2004 5:31 am
- Location: West Omaha
Re: 2021 Weather thread-
In my neck of the woods in the 132nd and West Center area- I’d say 9, maybe 10 inches of the frozen, depressing white stuff...
Ciao..LiO...Peace
Ciao..LiO...Peace
Go Cowboys!
-
GetUrban
- Planning Board
- Posts: 2648
- Joined: Sun Nov 23, 2008 3:07 pm
- Location: Omaha
Re: 2021 Weather thread-
I had about 11-12” in north-central Douglas Co. Kind of hard to find a good place to measure since the wind blew some areas to near zero with drifting up to 30” in other places. It will be a mess if we get rain on Saturday like they say.
He said "They are some big, ugly red brick buildings"
...and then they were gone.
...and then they were gone.
-
Brad
- Photographer
- Posts: 1036562
- Joined: Sat Feb 28, 2004 6:03 pm
- Location: Omaha, NE
Re: 2021 Weather thread-
Cool light pillar this morning:

Omaha Skyline Photos, Omaha Aerial Photos, and More.
Website: www.bradwilliamsphotography.com
Facebook: www.facebook.com/bradwilliamsphotography
Twitter: www.twitter.com/bradwphoto
Instagram: www.instagram.com/bradwilliamsphotography
YouTube: www.youtube.com/@bradwilliamsphoto
-
Brad
- Photographer
- Posts: 1036562
- Joined: Sat Feb 28, 2004 6:03 pm
- Location: Omaha, NE
Re: 2021 Weather thread-
I wouldn't have guessed this.

Omaha Skyline Photos, Omaha Aerial Photos, and More.
Website: www.bradwilliamsphotography.com
Facebook: www.facebook.com/bradwilliamsphotography
Twitter: www.twitter.com/bradwphoto
Instagram: www.instagram.com/bradwilliamsphotography
YouTube: www.youtube.com/@bradwilliamsphoto
-
Coyote
- City Council
- Posts: 34366
- Joined: Tue Nov 18, 2003 11:18 am
- Location: Aksarben Village
Re: 2021 Weather thread-
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
-
Busguy2010
- City Council
- Posts: 7328
- Joined: Sat Apr 09, 2011 7:32 pm
- Location: North Central Omaha
Re: 2021 Weather thread-
That's good. We were so far behind for moisture, and at least this stuff will stick around and slowly release humidity over time. I've already noticed my skin is in better shape than November-ish when we were super dry.
-
Coyote
- City Council
- Posts: 34366
- Joined: Tue Nov 18, 2003 11:18 am
- Location: Aksarben Village
Re: 2021 Weather thread-
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
-
Coyote
- City Council
- Posts: 34366
- Joined: Tue Nov 18, 2003 11:18 am
- Location: Aksarben Village
Re: 2021 Weather thread-
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
-
Busguy2010
- City Council
- Posts: 7328
- Joined: Sat Apr 09, 2011 7:32 pm
- Location: North Central Omaha
Re: 2021 Weather thread-
I like the NWS, they are kinda goofy.
-
Coyote
- City Council
- Posts: 34366
- Joined: Tue Nov 18, 2003 11:18 am
- Location: Aksarben Village
Re: 2021 Weather thread-
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
-
Busguy2010
- City Council
- Posts: 7328
- Joined: Sat Apr 09, 2011 7:32 pm
- Location: North Central Omaha
Re: 2021 Weather thread-
Finally. I love me some cold weather. Would prefer it to happen more in January though, as I'll be heating my greenhouse constantly starting in about ten days. But I'm good with it. January has been warm, with no days topping out less than 20 and only three days bottoming out at single digits.
-
Coyote
- City Council
- Posts: 34366
- Joined: Tue Nov 18, 2003 11:18 am
- Location: Aksarben Village
Re: 2021 Weather thread-
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
-
Brad
- Photographer
- Posts: 1036562
- Joined: Sat Feb 28, 2004 6:03 pm
- Location: Omaha, NE
Re: 2021 Weather thread-
What do you love about it? Just curious.Busguy2010 wrote: Mon Feb 01, 2021 11:41 am Finally. I love me some cold weather. Would prefer it to happen more in January though, as I'll be heating my greenhouse constantly starting in about ten days. But I'm good with it. January has been warm, with no days topping out less than 20 and only three days bottoming out at single digits.
Its not bad now that I have a remote start. Wile I don't mind it, its part of winter, I don't think I would go as far as saying I love it.

Omaha Skyline Photos, Omaha Aerial Photos, and More.
Website: www.bradwilliamsphotography.com
Facebook: www.facebook.com/bradwilliamsphotography
Twitter: www.twitter.com/bradwphoto
Instagram: www.instagram.com/bradwilliamsphotography
YouTube: www.youtube.com/@bradwilliamsphoto
-
skinzfan23
- City Council
- Posts: 11629
- Joined: Mon Feb 09, 2004 11:26 am
- Location: Omaha/Bellevue
Re: 2021 Weather thread-
The only thing I like about the cold weather is staying inside with the fireplace on and watching movies.
-
Busguy2010
- City Council
- Posts: 7328
- Joined: Sat Apr 09, 2011 7:32 pm
- Location: North Central Omaha
Re: 2021 Weather thread-
I love weather of all most kinds, but I definitely prefer cooler over warmer. I absolutely loathe it when there is a stretch of sunny and 80+ weather, same as yesterday, same as last week. Its boring to me. I hate hot weather, so when it finally gets cold cold, I relish it. Since we had a relatively warm coldest month of the year, I'm like WOW? We had a warm year last year, so it was definitely not my cup of tea. And its going to start warming up sooner than later, so I will take the cold for sure.
My ideal indoor living temperature is 62, so if it was perpetually 55-60 outside all day and night (accounting for the warmth the earth gives off)with some rain and wind mixed in, I'd have my windows open all the time (if not for the noisy neighbors) and I'd never have to turn on the heat or the air conditioning, I would be in bliss.
-
Busguy2010
- City Council
- Posts: 7328
- Joined: Sat Apr 09, 2011 7:32 pm
- Location: North Central Omaha
Re: 2021 Weather thread-
Sounds like tomorrow could be a pretty nasty day. About 2" snow, rainy, cloudy, and windy with the temperature falling through the day. Looks like the high temperature of 36 or 37 for tomorrow is at the stroke of midnight tonight. Definitely a hunker down type of day.
-
Coyote
- City Council
- Posts: 34366
- Joined: Tue Nov 18, 2003 11:18 am
- Location: Aksarben Village
Re: 2021 Weather thread-
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
-
skinzfan23
- City Council
- Posts: 11629
- Joined: Mon Feb 09, 2004 11:26 am
- Location: Omaha/Bellevue
Re: 2021 Weather thread-
Honestly, I have the pleasure of working from home right now, but was it really that bad out this morning? I know side streets may have been slick but looking at the city cams, it looked like the main streets were just wet.
It seemed a little crazy to have school (Bellevue) cancelled for 1 inch of snow.
It seemed a little crazy to have school (Bellevue) cancelled for 1 inch of snow.
-
Louie
- County Board
- Posts: 4936
- Joined: Fri Dec 23, 2011 4:23 pm
- Location: Dundee
Re: 2021 Weather thread-
I was driving on the east side of town during morning rush and it wasn't bad.skinzfan23 wrote: Thu Feb 04, 2021 11:12 am Honestly, I have the pleasure of working from home right now, but was it really that bad out this morning? I know side streets may have been slick but looking at the city cams, it looked like the main streets were just wet.
It seemed a little crazy to have school (Bellevue) cancelled for 1 inch of snow.
-
Coyote
- City Council
- Posts: 34366
- Joined: Tue Nov 18, 2003 11:18 am
- Location: Aksarben Village
Re: 2021 Weather thread-
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
-
Coyote
- City Council
- Posts: 34366
- Joined: Tue Nov 18, 2003 11:18 am
- Location: Aksarben Village
Re: 2021 Weather thread-
I-80 west of Newton Iowa
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
-
Coyote
- City Council
- Posts: 34366
- Joined: Tue Nov 18, 2003 11:18 am
- Location: Aksarben Village
Re: 2021 Weather thread-
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
-
Coyote
- City Council
- Posts: 34366
- Joined: Tue Nov 18, 2003 11:18 am
- Location: Aksarben Village
Re: 2021 Weather thread-
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
-
Coyote
- City Council
- Posts: 34366
- Joined: Tue Nov 18, 2003 11:18 am
- Location: Aksarben Village
Re: 2021 Weather thread-
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
-
Busguy2010
- City Council
- Posts: 7328
- Joined: Sat Apr 09, 2011 7:32 pm
- Location: North Central Omaha
Re: 2021 Weather thread-
What an exceptional snowfall season we've had so far. I wonder what this has done as far as digging into our moisture deficit. Like how many inches of snowfall have we had, and what amount of rain is that equivalent to?
-
GetUrban
- Planning Board
- Posts: 2648
- Joined: Sun Nov 23, 2008 3:07 pm
- Location: Omaha
Re: 2021 Weather thread-
It’s starting to look like the winter of 2004. Back then we had several snows from late December through mid-February that added up to 28-30 inches on the ground. But it warmed-up pretty fast at the end of February into March so it disappeared pretty fast. People, including me had a lot of trouble with ice dams forming on their eaves from so much snow accumulating on roofs. The snow acts as insulation on on top of the roof, trapping the heat that would normally escape. Roof rakes were a hot selling item that winter. We got so sick of it that we took a vacation to Tucson and Phoenix in late February, where it was unusually warm for them at 90 degrees already. We even looked at a house while we were there. But I’m glad we didn’t move since I like the more extreme seasonal changes in Omaha.
Fortunately we melted a lot of that last 11-12” snow we had. It would be interesting to see how much of a dent we’ve made in our drought.
Fortunately we melted a lot of that last 11-12” snow we had. It would be interesting to see how much of a dent we’ve made in our drought.
He said "They are some big, ugly red brick buildings"
...and then they were gone.
...and then they were gone.
-
Busguy2010
- City Council
- Posts: 7328
- Joined: Sat Apr 09, 2011 7:32 pm
- Location: North Central Omaha
Re: 2021 Weather thread-
We are currently at 31.1 since our first snowfall in October. That's not including today.
So according to a small bit a research I did, a rule of thumb is 10-1, meaning 31" of snow would be equivalent to 3.1" of rain, but it all depends on each snow event. Such as our snow events before today were all relatively wet, I wouldn't be surprised if our equivalent would be more like 3-5". But there's no way to tell. But I think last I checked, we were more than 13" behind on the year last year, and I don't even know what the deficit really ended up as.. So one could surmise that we are still a good 8-10" in the hole, if you count the estimation of moisture from the snow we've had.
So according to a small bit a research I did, a rule of thumb is 10-1, meaning 31" of snow would be equivalent to 3.1" of rain, but it all depends on each snow event. Such as our snow events before today were all relatively wet, I wouldn't be surprised if our equivalent would be more like 3-5". But there's no way to tell. But I think last I checked, we were more than 13" behind on the year last year, and I don't even know what the deficit really ended up as.. So one could surmise that we are still a good 8-10" in the hole, if you count the estimation of moisture from the snow we've had.
-
Brad
- Photographer
- Posts: 1036562
- Joined: Sat Feb 28, 2004 6:03 pm
- Location: Omaha, NE
Re: 2021 Weather thread-
We only ended up with 7" here from that big storm a few weeks ago. It melted down to about 5" and its back up over 6" today.GetUrban wrote: Sat Feb 06, 2021 7:14 pm Fortunately we melted a lot of that last 11-12” snow we had.
I ran in to a Jim Flowers video on the FB tonight and he said today and tomorrows snow are more like 23:1... super dry.Busguy2010 wrote: Sat Feb 06, 2021 7:54 pm So according to a small bit a research I did, a rule of thumb is 10-1, meaning 31" of snow would be equivalent to 3.1" of rain, but it all depends on each snow event. Such as our snow events before today were all relatively wet, I wouldn't be surprised if our equivalent would be more like 3-5". But there's no way to tell.

Omaha Skyline Photos, Omaha Aerial Photos, and More.
Website: www.bradwilliamsphotography.com
Facebook: www.facebook.com/bradwilliamsphotography
Twitter: www.twitter.com/bradwphoto
Instagram: www.instagram.com/bradwilliamsphotography
YouTube: www.youtube.com/@bradwilliamsphoto
-
GetUrban
- Planning Board
- Posts: 2648
- Joined: Sun Nov 23, 2008 3:07 pm
- Location: Omaha
Re: 2021 Weather thread-
It was super dry. I used a cordless leaf blower to clear our entry courtyard.Brad wrote: Sat Feb 06, 2021 8:40 pm
I ran in to a Jim Flowers video on the FB tonight and he said today and tomorrows snow are more like 23:1... super dry.
He said "They are some big, ugly red brick buildings"
...and then they were gone.
...and then they were gone.
-
Busguy2010
- City Council
- Posts: 7328
- Joined: Sat Apr 09, 2011 7:32 pm
- Location: North Central Omaha
Re: 2021 Weather thread-
Yeah, I meant to mention that dryer, lighter snow (that would be today's, and tomorrows) would be less saturated. I feel the snow we've already had this season has been generally more on the wetter side than not, so I wouldn't be surprised if that 10:1 ratio, or even lower would apply to the snow we've had this season, which is how I arrived at that 3+ guess. Mainly was just concluding that even despite this great snow we've had, we are still really far behind in moisture.Brad wrote: Sat Feb 06, 2021 8:40 pmI ran in to a Jim Flowers video on the FB tonight and he said today and tomorrows snow are more like 23:1... super dry.Busguy2010 wrote: Sat Feb 06, 2021 7:54 pm So according to a small bit a research I did, a rule of thumb is 10-1, meaning 31" of snow would be equivalent to 3.1" of rain, but it all depends on each snow event. Such as our snow events before today were all relatively wet, I wouldn't be surprised if our equivalent would be more like 3-5". But there's no way to tell.
-
Coyote
- City Council
- Posts: 34366
- Joined: Tue Nov 18, 2003 11:18 am
- Location: Aksarben Village
Re: 2021 Weather thread-
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
-
Coyote
- City Council
- Posts: 34366
- Joined: Tue Nov 18, 2003 11:18 am
- Location: Aksarben Village
Re: 2021 Weather thread-
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
-
Busguy2010
- City Council
- Posts: 7328
- Joined: Sat Apr 09, 2011 7:32 pm
- Location: North Central Omaha
Re: 2021 Weather thread-
Pretty decent amount of snow on tap for tomorrow. About 3" as of now.