Electric Scooter Rental

Trains, Planes, and Automobiles (and Streetcars!).
User avatar
Dundeemaha
Human Relations
Posts: 597
Joined: Thu Apr 04, 2013 11:41 am
Location: Country Club

Re: Electric Scooter Rental

Post by Dundeemaha »

With electric scooter companies pulling out of a number of markets that introduce regulations and Omaha's posturing that it will enact more. Plus the pullback from VCs on burning cash on money-losing ventures with no path toward profitability. I don't think Omaha will see scooters again without subsidizing them or municipalizing them entirely.
User avatar
Brad
Photographer
Posts: 1036562
Joined: Sat Feb 28, 2004 6:03 pm
Location: Omaha, NE

Re: Electric Scooter Rental

Post by Brad »

Anyone know when the city will decide if we see scooters in 2020?
Omahacritic
Human Relations
Posts: 814
Joined: Thu Jul 18, 2019 11:10 pm

Re: Electric Scooter Rental

Post by Omahacritic »

Seems the city has bigger fish to fry at this moment in time.
User avatar
Omaha Cowboy
The Don
Posts: 1013719
Joined: Wed Jan 07, 2004 5:31 am
Location: West Omaha

Re: Electric Scooter Rental

Post by Omaha Cowboy »

I get the sense that the city will 86 the idea of Scooters..

And honestly, I have no problem with that...

Ciao..LiO...Peace
Go Cowboys!
User avatar
Busguy2010
City Council
Posts: 7328
Joined: Sat Apr 09, 2011 7:32 pm
Location: North Central Omaha

Re: Electric Scooter Rental

Post by Busguy2010 »

Yeah sorry. It was a fun idea but ended up being way more of a problem and very little solution. Sorry the thousand hooligans ruined it for the 20 respectable riders.
User avatar
Omaha Cowboy
The Don
Posts: 1013719
Joined: Wed Jan 07, 2004 5:31 am
Location: West Omaha

Re: Electric Scooter Rental

Post by Omaha Cowboy »

Oh joy..

Unless the pandemic freezes them out, Omaha will be back for round 2 of Scooters this summer :lafcry: ..

The W-H story link-

https://www.omaha.com/news/local/news-t ... 84760.html

Ciao..LiO...Peace
Go Cowboys!
User avatar
Taco
Human Relations
Posts: 514
Joined: Mon Jul 27, 2015 10:34 am

Re: Electric Scooter Rental

Post by Taco »

I do not understand when people get so up in arms about people riding scooters while we accept dangerous driving. As a frequent runner, biker, and trail user I can tell you I have never had a scooter user try to run me off the road, throw something at me, yell slurs, or swerve into me. Blaming scooters for making the roads dangerous avoids the elephant in the room for road safety when we continue to accept rampant speeding, distracted driving, and actively hostile behavior towards pedestrians from people in cars.
User avatar
skinzfan23
City Council
Posts: 11629
Joined: Mon Feb 09, 2004 11:26 am
Location: Omaha/Bellevue

Re: Electric Scooter Rental

Post by skinzfan23 »

I am glad that they are giving them another go round. There are some kinks to work out, but overall I think they are a good idea. I don't believe Omaha had anywhere near the amount of issues like some cities did when people "returned" them.
Omahacritic
Human Relations
Posts: 814
Joined: Thu Jul 18, 2019 11:10 pm

Re: Electric Scooter Rental

Post by Omahacritic »

The biggest problem is the “leave anywhere” system. They need docking stations to keep them off corners and just lying around ... like the bike rentals.
User avatar
S.O.Boy
Human Relations
Posts: 829
Joined: Sun Apr 05, 2020 10:42 pm
Location: Pisces–Cetus Supercluster Complex

Re: Electric Scooter Rental

Post by S.O.Boy »

Omahacritic wrote: Fri May 08, 2020 1:44 pm The biggest problem is the “leave anywhere” system. They need docking stations to keep them off corners and just lying around ... like the bike rentals.
Yes. I saw them blocking sidewalks often.
User avatar
Omaha Cowboy
The Don
Posts: 1013719
Joined: Wed Jan 07, 2004 5:31 am
Location: West Omaha

Re: Electric Scooter Rental

Post by Omaha Cowboy »

Omaha Cowboy wrote: Sat Jul 20, 2019 11:24 pm
VeloRider wrote: Sat Jul 20, 2019 9:35 pm As a Minneapolis resident and bicyclist, I absolutely hate all of these scooters! They are everywhere and it seems that most of the riders are teenage - twenty something punks with no regard to pedestrians, bicyclists or vehicles. Bike paths, parks, streets- they are there! What's worse, is that you see them abandoned in the oddest spots around town.There was an incident in Downtown St. Paul a few weeks ago where someone smashed 50 of these scooters - I have to admit, I cracked a smile when I hear this, as bad as that sounds. Anyway, yes, people will get hurt and people will die from these. Omaha and Des Moines should count their blessings that these aren't out in full force. End of rant.
I don’t know that Scooters have hit yet in Des Moines, Iowa.. But I can tell you they ARE out in full force in Omaha. They have become a nuisance and I believe they are a fad. I’ve seen Scooters ridden pretty much everywhere in downtown Omaha and most of the time, the “rules” of ridership are not being followed..

I had relatives in from the Bay Area and Chicago the weekend after the 4th of July and they stayed at an Old Market hotel for 3 nights. I heard many a story from them, as they were strolling around the area as pedestrians, that they had to dodge scooter riders on the sidewalks and most riders were simply goofing around with the “appliance”..some taking selfies with them :roll: ..

With all due respect to those who use these Scooters the way they are intended and follow their rules of ridership, the sooner Scooters are disallowed on Omaha city passageways, the better, imo...

Ciao..LiO...Peace
Quoting my post from last July, during the height of the scooter fad last summer- as my relatives from 2 of the largest metropolitan areas of the US noted, it was the one thing they all said was a negative amongst all the positives during their nearly week long visit which was specifically located in the Old Market area..

They were ALL impressed with Omaha and it’s downtown core, sans the scooter nuisance...

Ciao..LiO...Peace
Go Cowboys!
User avatar
Greg S
City Council
Posts: 8991
Joined: Thu Aug 26, 2004 10:46 am

Re: Electric Scooter Rental

Post by Greg S »

I don't really have a problem with them. I didn't see them as any worse in Omaha than the other cities I traveled to last summer that had them.

Do we know why we have a new company doing them this year?

Greg
User avatar
bigredmed1
Parks & Recreation
Posts: 1689
Joined: Mon May 29, 2017 10:16 pm

Re: Electric Scooter Rental

Post by bigredmed1 »

S.O.Boy wrote: Sat May 09, 2020 7:12 pm
Omahacritic wrote: Fri May 08, 2020 1:44 pm The biggest problem is the “leave anywhere” system. They need docking stations to keep them off corners and just lying around ... like the bike rentals.
Yes. I saw them blocking sidewalks often.
The simple way to develop that is to charge an extra $20 per rental to not dock them. Once docked, you get your $20 back. Not docked, the city gets it to pay for some college temp employee to go fetch them to a dock near by. They really did clutter a lot of places.
Omahacritic
Human Relations
Posts: 814
Joined: Thu Jul 18, 2019 11:10 pm

Re: Electric Scooter Rental

Post by Omahacritic »

bigredmed1 wrote: Mon May 11, 2020 12:22 pm
S.O.Boy wrote: Sat May 09, 2020 7:12 pm
Omahacritic wrote: Fri May 08, 2020 1:44 pm The biggest problem is the “leave anywhere” system. They need docking stations to keep them off corners and just lying around ... like the bike rentals.
Yes. I saw them blocking sidewalks often.
The simple way to develop that is to charge an extra $20 per rental to not dock them. Once docked, you get your $20 back. Not docked, the city gets it to pay for some college temp employee to go fetch them to a dock near by. They really did clutter a lot of places.
I suggested something similar last year. Enforcement pays for itself.
User avatar
Omaha Cowboy
The Don
Posts: 1013719
Joined: Wed Jan 07, 2004 5:31 am
Location: West Omaha

Re: Electric Scooter Rental

Post by Omaha Cowboy »

Ding-dong the nuisance is dead..at least for now..

From today’s W-H-

“Electric scooters probably aren’t coming back to Omaha this year.

The City Council on Tuesday voted 4-3 against operating agreements with Spin and Bird, the two companies that submitted proposals to serve Omaha during a second pilot program this summer and fall.”..

“Council President Chris Jerram — whose district covers much of downtown and midtown, areas that saw heavy scooter use last year — said he heard from many business owners who found the scooters to be a nuisance when they were parked outside shops or speeding by their front doors on sidewalks, which wasn't allowed.”..

The complete story link:

https://www.omaha.com/news/local/scoote ... 337ad.html

Ciao..LiO...Peace
Go Cowboys!
User avatar
Omaha Cowboy
The Don
Posts: 1013719
Joined: Wed Jan 07, 2004 5:31 am
Location: West Omaha

Re: Electric Scooter Rental

Post by Omaha Cowboy »

Oh brother. One City-Council member does a 180 one week later?..

This is very strange. Perhaps “quid pro quo” strange. Weird things going on with our city leadership these days. In any case, looks like scooters are back on the table. From today’s W-H-

“Electric, dockless scooters are back on the table in Omaha.

The City Council next month will reconsider operating agreements with scooter companies Spin and Bird after rejecting those agreements on a 4-3 vote last week. City officials have spent the last several months preparing to launch a second scooter pilot program this year.

Councilman Ben Gray, who had voted against the agreements, requested that they be reconsidered.”..

The complete story link:

https://www.omaha.com/news/local/counci ... 65.html#23

Ciao..LiO...Peace
Go Cowboys!
User avatar
Dundeemaha
Human Relations
Posts: 597
Joined: Thu Apr 04, 2013 11:41 am
Location: Country Club

Re: Electric Scooter Rental

Post by Dundeemaha »

Gray has been going back and forth on it, was for it up until the debate then said Jerram's arguments convinced him to vote against.

My honest hope is that the scooters come back, businesses complain enough about them but they're so popular they have to stay and the city actually builds out protected bike lanes and then bike/scooter parking. Meanwhile the scooter businesses dry up because they stop getting fed vc money to burn and we're left with great bike infrastructure.
User avatar
Omaha Cowboy
The Don
Posts: 1013719
Joined: Wed Jan 07, 2004 5:31 am
Location: West Omaha

Re: Electric Scooter Rental

Post by Omaha Cowboy »

Dundeemaha wrote: Thu Jun 25, 2020 9:13 am Gray has been going back and forth on it, was for it up until the debate then said Jerram's arguments convinced him to vote against.

My honest hope is that the scooters come back, businesses complain enough about them but they're so popular they have to stay and the city actually builds out protected bike lanes and then bike/scooter parking. Meanwhile the scooter businesses dry up because they stop getting fed vc money to burn and we're left with great bike infrastructure.
I find it interesting Gray did a complete 180 in one week.. But whatever his motives..

I appreciate those who support scooters.. But my opinion of them stands that they’re not necessary and are simply a fad that will fizzle out in a few years anyway..

If they do come back this year, the test ends sometime in November..so they’ll be yanked from the streets again.. We’ll see if Ben Gray’s “revelation” allows the scooter test to become active this summer...

Ciao..LiO...Peace
Go Cowboys!
Omahacritic
Human Relations
Posts: 814
Joined: Thu Jul 18, 2019 11:10 pm

Re: Electric Scooter Rental

Post by Omahacritic »

Likely more than a fad.

But that’s why you do test runs. Although, it will be interesting to see wha5 changes from last year.

Just think, with the virus lockdowns, 1000’s of those scooters have been locked away in warehouses somewhere.
User avatar
Omaha Cowboy
The Don
Posts: 1013719
Joined: Wed Jan 07, 2004 5:31 am
Location: West Omaha

Re: Electric Scooter Rental

Post by Omaha Cowboy »

I’d hate to be an employee at one of these Scooter rental companies looking for stable, long term employment to hang my hat and retire from.. I honestly think most will be out of business within the next 5 or so years..

Then it’s on to the next fad “flavor of the month”...

Ciao..LiO...Peace
Go Cowboys!
User avatar
bigredmed1
Parks & Recreation
Posts: 1689
Joined: Mon May 29, 2017 10:16 pm

Re: Electric Scooter Rental

Post by bigredmed1 »

Omaha Cowboy wrote: Mon Jun 29, 2020 10:51 am I’d hate to be an employee at one of these Scooter rental companies looking for stable, long term employment to hang my hat and retire from.. I honestly think most will be out of business within the next 5 or so years..

Then it’s on to the next fad “flavor of the month”...

Ciao..LiO...Peace
Be lucky to get 5 years.

Cities are looking at COVID costs, riot costs, and lack of tax base. Having to pay someone to go around and pick these up and put them where they belong is an easy cost to get rid off. The scooters are not particularly popular and no one will miss them. Bet more on 2-3 years.
User avatar
Omaha Cowboy
The Don
Posts: 1013719
Joined: Wed Jan 07, 2004 5:31 am
Location: West Omaha

Re: Electric Scooter Rental

Post by Omaha Cowboy »

bigredmed1 wrote: Mon Jun 29, 2020 12:33 pm
Omaha Cowboy wrote: Mon Jun 29, 2020 10:51 am I’d hate to be an employee at one of these Scooter rental companies looking for stable, long term employment to hang my hat and retire from.. I honestly think most will be out of business within the next 5 or so years..

Then it’s on to the next fad “flavor of the month”...

Ciao..LiO...Peace
Be lucky to get 5 years.

Cities are looking at COVID costs, riot costs, and lack of tax base. Having to pay someone to go around and pick these up and put them where they belong is an easy cost to get rid off. The scooters are not particularly popular and no one will miss them. Bet more on 2-3 years.
That 2-3 year time frame wouldn’t surprise me at all.. The majority of folks won’t miss them and in the big picture, they’re unnecessary imho..

Ciao..LiO...Peace
Go Cowboys!
Omahacritic
Human Relations
Posts: 814
Joined: Thu Jul 18, 2019 11:10 pm

Re: Electric Scooter Rental

Post by Omahacritic »

bigredmed1 wrote: Mon Jun 29, 2020 12:33 pm
Omaha Cowboy wrote: Mon Jun 29, 2020 10:51 am I’d hate to be an employee at one of these Scooter rental companies looking for stable, long term employment to hang my hat and retire from.. I honestly think most will be out of business within the next 5 or so years..

Then it’s on to the next fad “flavor of the month”...

Ciao..LiO...Peace
Be lucky to get 5 years.

Cities are looking at COVID costs, riot costs, and lack of tax base. Having to pay someone to go around and pick these up and put them where they belong is an easy cost to get rid off. The scooters are not particularly popular and no one will miss them. Bet more on 2-3 years.
There are some heavy hitter investors in some of these companies. They don’t chase fads.

Scooters do not cost the city, except maybe loss of gasoline sales tax. Basically, the companies hire contract workers as “bounty” hunters. These folk drive around at night and pick up scooters, charge them, clean them, then place them on corners the next day.

Will they be around in 5 years? My guess is you will see something different, but based on the trials and research being done today.
User avatar
nebugeater
City Council
Posts: 110956
Joined: Wed Aug 04, 2004 6:07 pm
Location: Gretna NE

Re: Electric Scooter Rental

Post by nebugeater »

Scooters are returning with no detail on when or what adjustments are being made to change the vote.


https://www.ketv.com/article/scooters-r ... m/33316570
For the record  NEBUGEATER does not equal BUGEATER    !!!!!!!
User avatar
Omaha Cowboy
The Don
Posts: 1013719
Joined: Wed Jan 07, 2004 5:31 am
Location: West Omaha

Re: Electric Scooter Rental

Post by Omaha Cowboy »

Well, all we know at this point, the scooter contracts just run through November with this phase 2 plan..

December can’t come fast enough in this regard...

Ciao..LiO...Peace
Go Cowboys!
User avatar
Busguy2010
City Council
Posts: 7328
Joined: Sat Apr 09, 2011 7:32 pm
Location: North Central Omaha

Re: Electric Scooter Rental

Post by Busguy2010 »

Really the last thing we need at this point. Just going to add to the chaos.
User avatar
Omaha Cowboy
The Don
Posts: 1013719
Joined: Wed Jan 07, 2004 5:31 am
Location: West Omaha

Re: Electric Scooter Rental

Post by Omaha Cowboy »

Busguy2010 wrote: Wed Jul 15, 2020 9:16 am Really the last thing we need at this point. Just going to add to the chaos.
I agree with you. Honestly, they’re unnecessary imo and I stand by that they’re just a “passing fancy” fad which will fizzle out in a few years anyway..

I just don’t see the point of pushing scooters.. Especially given our current pandemic situation.. But, the city has given their blessing :koko: ...

Ciao..LiO...Peace
Go Cowboys!
User avatar
nebugeater
City Council
Posts: 110956
Joined: Wed Aug 04, 2004 6:07 pm
Location: Gretna NE

Re: Electric Scooter Rental

Post by nebugeater »

so what kind of party favors were given to get the votes to change?
For the record  NEBUGEATER does not equal BUGEATER    !!!!!!!
User avatar
Omaha Cowboy
The Don
Posts: 1013719
Joined: Wed Jan 07, 2004 5:31 am
Location: West Omaha

Re: Electric Scooter Rental

Post by Omaha Cowboy »

nebugeater wrote: Wed Jul 15, 2020 11:04 am so what kind of party favors were given to get the votes to change?
Ha! That’s where cronyism and quid pro quo down at city hall come in..

Imagine the possibilities, lol...

Ciao..LiO...Peace
Go Cowboys!
User avatar
Uffda
County Board
Posts: 4621
Joined: Sun Jun 12, 2005 9:52 pm
Location: Land o Lakes, FL

Re: Electric Scooter Rental

Post by Uffda »

nebugeater wrote: Wed Jul 15, 2020 11:04 am so what kind of party favors were given to get the votes to change?
I thought I saw in an article that he got assurances that there would be more scooters in the North Omaha area and also was reassured about how they were going to 'sanitized', but I can't find it now.
We are the people our parents warned us about.

Jimmy Buffett
Omahacritic
Human Relations
Posts: 814
Joined: Thu Jul 18, 2019 11:10 pm

Re: Electric Scooter Rental

Post by Omahacritic »

Scooters out and about. No real issues, except it’s adding to clutter on the sidewalks. Makes it tougher to maintain social distancing.

But they are being used. No abuses of note.
User avatar
Busguy2010
City Council
Posts: 7328
Joined: Sat Apr 09, 2011 7:32 pm
Location: North Central Omaha

Re: Electric Scooter Rental

Post by Busguy2010 »

I went on a stroll Downtown tonight and saw plenty of scooters randomly strewn about. Saw some people using them, too. Definitely does not help the pandemic situation, and I am still way over annoyed to see them back.
yard salad
Home Owners Association
Posts: 61
Joined: Wed Nov 11, 2015 10:01 am
Location: midtown

Re: Electric Scooter Rental

Post by yard salad »

I have never used the scooters around Omaha, but I used a Spin scooter in Salt Lake while on vacation. It was surprisingly fun but also terrifying in traffic or on crowded and crumbling sidewalks.

I can see the appeal for tourists, especially young people moving between entertainment areas, but without helmets or serious cycling infrastructure, they are not equal to other modes of transportation. For one, they are not cost competitive with an Uber and they're at least as dangerous as a bike, if not much more so given the inexperienced / inebriated demographic they target.
Athomsfere
Planning Board
Posts: 2300
Joined: Mon Sep 14, 2015 10:03 pm

Re: Electric Scooter Rental

Post by Athomsfere »

yard salad wrote: Thu Jul 29, 2021 1:31 pm I have never used the scooters around Omaha, but I used a Spin scooter in Salt Lake while on vacation. It was surprisingly fun but also terrifying in traffic or on crowded and crumbling sidewalks.

I can see the appeal for tourists, especially young people moving between entertainment areas, but without helmets or serious cycling infrastructure, they are not equal to other modes of transportation. For one, they are not cost competitive with an Uber and they're at least as dangerous as a bike, if not much more so given the inexperienced / inebriated demographic they target.
I've been nearly clipped by one or two on my bike over the years on my bike. I think they just need to follow the same rules as a bike. Announce your passing for example.

Overall, I'm happy for every car trip and uber not needed. So I support these.
User avatar
Brad
Photographer
Posts: 1036562
Joined: Sat Feb 28, 2004 6:03 pm
Location: Omaha, NE

Re: Electric Scooter Rental

Post by Brad »

I don't mind the scooters and we even rented them a few weeks ago. Had fun riding them for a shot time. FYI, don't take them on the brick streets...

My biggest complaint is still people riding them on sidewalks and also recklessly. I was also trying to photograph the Farnam Hotel last night and there were a bunch of big black circles on the new pavement and I assumed they were from scooters.
Athomsfere
Planning Board
Posts: 2300
Joined: Mon Sep 14, 2015 10:03 pm

Re: Electric Scooter Rental

Post by Athomsfere »

Brad wrote: Fri Jul 30, 2021 9:43 am I don't mind the scooters and we even rented them a few weeks ago. Had fun riding them for a shot time. FYI, don't take them on the brick streets...

My biggest complaint is still people riding them on sidewalks and also recklessly. I was also trying to photograph the Farnam Hotel last night and there were a bunch of big black circles on the new pavement and I assumed they were from scooters.
I think this is all fair. But the blame in my opinion falls on the city, and not the scooters. It's hard to feel safe on the streets on a scooter.

Regardless of the law, the scooters should be doing what they feel is safest.
User avatar
Omaha Cowboy
The Don
Posts: 1013719
Joined: Wed Jan 07, 2004 5:31 am
Location: West Omaha

Re: Electric Scooter Rental

Post by Omaha Cowboy »

I still contend these scooters are a fad which will die out eventually..

I won’t be sorry to see them go…

Ciao..LiO…Peace
Go Cowboys!
yard salad
Home Owners Association
Posts: 61
Joined: Wed Nov 11, 2015 10:01 am
Location: midtown

Re: Electric Scooter Rental

Post by yard salad »

Omaha Cowboy wrote: Tue Aug 03, 2021 10:50 am I still contend these scooters are a fad which will die out eventually..

I won’t be sorry to see them go…

Ciao..LiO…Peace
As much as I want to agree, I think they will be with us in some form or another for the foreseeable future. Maybe not in every city, maybe not even in Omaha. I was downtown for an outdoor concert on a Friday night and watched people use the scooters every few minutes. Again, I don't think they can compete with taxis or even city bike shares, but I think they have a niche that can make them profitable in certain places. It doesn't hurt their case that the companies have deep VC-funded pockets and can run at a loss forever. For instance, I think Lime is owned by Uber, which has never turned a profit and apparently never has to.
User avatar
Busguy2010
City Council
Posts: 7328
Joined: Sat Apr 09, 2011 7:32 pm
Location: North Central Omaha

Re: Electric Scooter Rental

Post by Busguy2010 »

yard salad wrote: Tue Aug 03, 2021 11:33 am
Omaha Cowboy wrote: Tue Aug 03, 2021 10:50 am I still contend these scooters are a fad which will die out eventually..
I won’t be sorry to see them go…
Ciao..LiO…Peace
As much as I want to agree, I think they will be with us in some form or another for the foreseeable future.
I totally agree. I do not like them one bit, but I also feel they will stick around for a while. I'd think they have to go away during the winter, but I'd bet they will be coming an going for years. I hate them. I understand the idea is just to use them for transportation. A bike you don't have to pedal. The idea is great, but in practice it doesn't work. People don't heed traffic rules, they don't look out for themselves or others, its just "O KooL, iM RidInG An ElectRiK sKoOteR" for the majority of what I've seen. Plus they get strewn on any and every corner. If they had docks, maybe I'd be cool with it.
Athomsfere
Planning Board
Posts: 2300
Joined: Mon Sep 14, 2015 10:03 pm

Re: Electric Scooter Rental

Post by Athomsfere »

Busguy2010 wrote: Tue Aug 03, 2021 12:59 pm
yard salad wrote: Tue Aug 03, 2021 11:33 am
Omaha Cowboy wrote: Tue Aug 03, 2021 10:50 am I still contend these scooters are a fad which will die out eventually..
I won’t be sorry to see them go…
Ciao..LiO…Peace
As much as I want to agree, I think they will be with us in some form or another for the foreseeable future.
I totally agree. I do not like them one bit, but I also feel they will stick around for a while. I'd think they have to go away during the winter, but I'd bet they will be coming an going for years. I hate them. I understand the idea is just to use them for transportation. A bike you don't have to pedal. The idea is great, but in practice it doesn't work. People don't heed traffic rules, they don't look out for themselves or others, its just "O KooL, iM RidInG An ElectRiK sKoOteR" for the majority of what I've seen. Plus they get strewn on any and every corner. If they had docks, maybe I'd be cool with it.
I think this is the crux of it.

1) American cities are car-centric
2) Scooters are sort of supposed to be operated as cars, but aren't fast or safe enough
3) You just leave them any and everywhere which, for my block means the sidewalks around my building are littered with them.

To me, we solve for 1 and 3; and 2 would solve itself.