You willing to pitch in $5 million?RockHarbor wrote: Tue May 28, 2019 7:27 pmI just mean I wish they would be more thoughtful forming the lake, with a bulldozer.
Cunningham Lake
-
Pat
- New to the Neighborhood
- Posts: 34
- Joined: Thu Apr 19, 2007 9:55 pm
- Location: Somewhere Upstream
Re: Cunningham Lake
-
RockHarbor
- Planning Board
- Posts: 2083
- Joined: Wed Mar 23, 2005 7:42 am
- Location: Silver State
Re: Cunningham Lake
Ugh, no. Not for the lake -- nor any other city project we all talk about here either.Pat wrote: Tue May 28, 2019 7:35 pmYou willing to pitch in $5 million?RockHarbor wrote: Tue May 28, 2019 7:27 pmI just mean I wish they would be more thoughtful forming the lake, with a bulldozer.
But, we still talk here. We still dream here. We still share here.
Why don't you say that at the next big Omaha community meeting toward a suggestion that's spoken from somebody in the crowd? I would love to see people's faces.
I can get pushed out because I'm "too much" for some. Then, an observer of me comes suddenly swooping in to "fill my shoes." People are always more accepting of the new one, because their feathers aren't truly ruffled by them. (Yawn) I can count on it every time.
-
Busguy2010
- City Council
- Posts: 7328
- Joined: Sat Apr 09, 2011 7:32 pm
- Location: North Central Omaha
Re: Cunningham Lake
If they lent me a bulldozer and a rack of Busch Light, I'd do it for free! Let em know!RockHarbor wrote: Tue May 28, 2019 7:27 pmRight. Those dusty Loess hills used to be treeless, and are the result of dust blowing, blowing, blowing, and piling up in ancient times. When you look at the greenery in other Midwest points further East, you can see how Omaha, although now very green, must be built on poorer, less rich soil than other places.damonhynes wrote: Tue May 28, 2019 9:58 am Geology, I reckon. Omaha has all that loess dust, while those round MN lakes are the result of glacial scouring.
I just mean I wish they would be more thoughtful forming the lake, with a bulldozer.
-
RockHarbor
- Planning Board
- Posts: 2083
- Joined: Wed Mar 23, 2005 7:42 am
- Location: Silver State
Re: Cunningham Lake
Busguy2010 wrote: Tue May 28, 2019 9:43 pmIf they lent me a bulldozer and a rack of Busch Light, I'd do it for free! Let em know!RockHarbor wrote: Tue May 28, 2019 7:27 pmRight. Those dusty Loess hills used to be treeless, and are the result of dust blowing, blowing, blowing, and piling up in ancient times. When you look at the greenery in other Midwest points further East, you can see how Omaha, although now very green, must be built on poorer, less rich soil than other places.damonhynes wrote: Tue May 28, 2019 9:58 am Geology, I reckon. Omaha has all that loess dust, while those round MN lakes are the result of glacial scouring.
I just mean I wish they would be more thoughtful forming the lake, with a bulldozer.
PAT: You were being smart. I was being smart. You're a man. I'm a man. Just all for fun...
I can get pushed out because I'm "too much" for some. Then, an observer of me comes suddenly swooping in to "fill my shoes." People are always more accepting of the new one, because their feathers aren't truly ruffled by them. (Yawn) I can count on it every time.
-
GetUrban
- Planning Board
- Posts: 2648
- Joined: Sun Nov 23, 2008 3:07 pm
- Location: Omaha
Re: Cunningham Lake
Not to argue with RockHarbor again, but I'm glad Lake Cunningham still looks they way it does in the relatively scenic northern hills of Douglas County. No point in bulldozing and flattening out what makes the area unique to begin with. Omaha is slowly being flattened-out enough already with acres and acres of cookie-cutter tract housing developments on the outskirts.
He said "They are some big, ugly red brick buildings"
...and then they were gone.
...and then they were gone.
-
bigredmed1
- Parks & Recreation
- Posts: 1689
- Joined: Mon May 29, 2017 10:16 pm
Re: Cunningham Lake
Agreed. I would like to make it deeper.GetUrban wrote: Wed May 29, 2019 1:25 pm Not to argue with RockHarbor again, but I'm glad Lake Cunningham still looks they way it does in the relatively scenic northern hills of Douglas County. No point in bulldozing and flattening out what makes the area unique to begin with. Omaha is slowly being flattened-out enough already with acres and acres of cookie-cutter tract housing developments on the outskirts.
-
Busguy2010
- City Council
- Posts: 7328
- Joined: Sat Apr 09, 2011 7:32 pm
- Location: North Central Omaha
Re: Cunningham Lake
We were talking about making it deeper and removing some of the natural geology that forms the kinks that make it narrow in places. It is probably my favorite lake as is, but as with nearly - if not all the lakes around here - it is kinky and not very deep.bigredmed1 wrote: Wed May 29, 2019 1:32 pmAgreed. I would like to make it deeper.GetUrban wrote: Wed May 29, 2019 1:25 pm Not to argue with RockHarbor again, but I'm glad Lake Cunningham still looks they way it does in the relatively scenic northern hills of Douglas County. No point in bulldozing and flattening out what makes the area unique to begin with. Omaha is slowly being flattened-out enough already with acres and acres of cookie-cutter tract housing developments on the outskirts.
-
RockHarbor
- Planning Board
- Posts: 2083
- Joined: Wed Mar 23, 2005 7:42 am
- Location: Silver State
Re: Cunningham Lake
GetUrban: If you differ from my point, I love to hear it. We all have differing views. I love discussion. That never means you are "arguing" with me. I just don't like personal jabs & games played with me -- that's all. That's when my "peacock feathers" go up -- like a suddenly opening hand fan.
I agree that Lake Cunningham is the prettiest, coziest, most lovable lake around Omaha, on the Nebraska side. (I don't like lakes -- like Cunningham & Wehrspann -- sitting right off an interstate, though, with houses & streets crunched between the freeway and the lake. It bugs me for some personal reason.)
In fact, when I first saw this thread, I thought of how I think Lake Cunningham is the best dam site. It seems the best resort away from the city, I think. I'm not necessarily saying I want them to mess with Cunningham Lake too much. I'm just more meaning: From here on out, can we please start forming more round lakes sometimes?
I just think about how Loveland, CO has that wonderful roundish lake that people can walk around, and it has mowed grass, and sidewalks -- and not a bunch of bramble and weeds you find around a typical, fingery dam site in Omaha. Minneapolis has such beautiful, roundish & curvy lakes, too. Who couldn't think Lake Minnetonka isn't magnificent? Yet, those are natural lakes -- of course.
I am just wondering if they can make dam sites look more like a roundish natural lake -- ultimately. Or, if they can't do that, can they please build a HUGE one, like Sailorville Lake, outside Des Moines? I'm talking a big "mothership" dam site lake, that even has a marina, and a fish & chips restaurant.
I agree that Lake Cunningham is the prettiest, coziest, most lovable lake around Omaha, on the Nebraska side. (I don't like lakes -- like Cunningham & Wehrspann -- sitting right off an interstate, though, with houses & streets crunched between the freeway and the lake. It bugs me for some personal reason.)
In fact, when I first saw this thread, I thought of how I think Lake Cunningham is the best dam site. It seems the best resort away from the city, I think. I'm not necessarily saying I want them to mess with Cunningham Lake too much. I'm just more meaning: From here on out, can we please start forming more round lakes sometimes?
I just think about how Loveland, CO has that wonderful roundish lake that people can walk around, and it has mowed grass, and sidewalks -- and not a bunch of bramble and weeds you find around a typical, fingery dam site in Omaha. Minneapolis has such beautiful, roundish & curvy lakes, too. Who couldn't think Lake Minnetonka isn't magnificent? Yet, those are natural lakes -- of course.
I am just wondering if they can make dam sites look more like a roundish natural lake -- ultimately. Or, if they can't do that, can they please build a HUGE one, like Sailorville Lake, outside Des Moines? I'm talking a big "mothership" dam site lake, that even has a marina, and a fish & chips restaurant.
I can get pushed out because I'm "too much" for some. Then, an observer of me comes suddenly swooping in to "fill my shoes." People are always more accepting of the new one, because their feathers aren't truly ruffled by them. (Yawn) I can count on it every time.
-
iamjacobm
- City Council
- Posts: 10813
- Joined: Sat Apr 10, 2010 6:52 am
- Location: Chicago
Re: Cunningham Lake
In other Cunningham Lake news.
https://www.omaha.com/news/metro/cunnin ... fcef3.html
https://www.omaha.com/news/metro/cunnin ... fcef3.html
Ten miles of trails and 42 new RV pads will be added to northwest Omaha's Cunningham Lake as part of a nearly $15 million recreation improvement project, officials announced Thursday.
The 10 miles of trails would be split into a 6-mile concrete multipurpose trail that loops around the lake and another 4-mile grass equestrian and nature trail.
The park's campground already has 41 RV pads. They will be upgraded and a new campground will be built consisting of 42 camp pads, a restroom/shower house and water, sewer and electrical hook-ups at each campsite.
The 337-acre lake and the 1,050-acre park around it has been closed since April. It will remain closed until the fall of 2020 during construction.
-
Brad
- Photographer
- Posts: 1036562
- Joined: Sat Feb 28, 2004 6:03 pm
- Location: Omaha, NE
Re: Cunningham Lake
That bridge looks like a great addition and its great they are finally going to connect to the keystone trail. The keystone trail connection is probably 25 years over due!

Omaha Skyline Photos, Omaha Aerial Photos, and More.
Website: www.bradwilliamsphotography.com
Facebook: www.facebook.com/bradwilliamsphotography
Twitter: www.twitter.com/bradwphoto
Instagram: www.instagram.com/bradwilliamsphotography
YouTube: www.youtube.com/@bradwilliamsphoto
-
RockHarbor
- Planning Board
- Posts: 2083
- Joined: Wed Mar 23, 2005 7:42 am
- Location: Silver State
Re: Cunningham Lake
Good news. It's about time Omaha gets a REAL recreational destination and hot spot that's local.
I can get pushed out because I'm "too much" for some. Then, an observer of me comes suddenly swooping in to "fill my shoes." People are always more accepting of the new one, because their feathers aren't truly ruffled by them. (Yawn) I can count on it every time.
-
Uffda
- County Board
- Posts: 4621
- Joined: Sun Jun 12, 2005 9:52 pm
- Location: Land o Lakes, FL
Re: Cunningham Lake
This setup made me laugh. Bringing plants and a podium to an outdoor park location to ‘dress up’ the press conference.




We are the people our parents warned us about.
Jimmy Buffett
Jimmy Buffett
-
zippy
- Library Board
- Posts: 301
- Joined: Wed Mar 09, 2005 5:55 pm
- Location: Harvey Oaks
Re: Cunningham Lake
I didn't see any mention of a bridge in the OWH article?!?Brad wrote: Thu May 30, 2019 3:41 pm That bridge looks like a great addition and its great they are finally going to connect to the keystone trail. The keystone trail connection is probably 25 years over due!
-
Brad
- Photographer
- Posts: 1036562
- Joined: Sat Feb 28, 2004 6:03 pm
- Location: Omaha, NE
Re: Cunningham Lake
There was a rendering. Not sure where it went?zippy wrote: Fri May 31, 2019 10:25 amI didn't see any mention of a bridge in the OWH article?!?Brad wrote: Thu May 30, 2019 3:41 pm That bridge looks like a great addition and its great they are finally going to connect to the keystone trail. The keystone trail connection is probably 25 years over due!

Omaha Skyline Photos, Omaha Aerial Photos, and More.
Website: www.bradwilliamsphotography.com
Facebook: www.facebook.com/bradwilliamsphotography
Twitter: www.twitter.com/bradwphoto
Instagram: www.instagram.com/bradwilliamsphotography
YouTube: www.youtube.com/@bradwilliamsphoto
-
Coyote
- City Council
- Posts: 34366
- Joined: Tue Nov 18, 2003 11:18 am
- Location: Aksarben Village
Re: Cunningham Lake
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
-
Coyote
- City Council
- Posts: 34366
- Joined: Tue Nov 18, 2003 11:18 am
- Location: Aksarben Village
Re: Cunningham Lake
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
-
zippy
- Library Board
- Posts: 301
- Joined: Wed Mar 09, 2005 5:55 pm
- Location: Harvey Oaks
Re: Cunningham Lake
Wow! This plan has so much potential to be a recreation destination. Thanks for the pics.
-
Taco
- Human Relations
- Posts: 514
- Joined: Mon Jul 27, 2015 10:34 am
Re: Cunningham Lake
Does anyone know if construction on the new trails has begun here?
-
Mjs5050ss
- Home Owners Association
- Posts: 95
- Joined: Thu Feb 08, 2018 3:42 pm
Re: Cunningham Lake
Has anyone heard of an update on the lake? All I can find was that it was going to be opened in the Fall, but that didn't happen. Driving by, it doesn't look like the refill has started yet.
-
Brad
- Photographer
- Posts: 1036562
- Joined: Sat Feb 28, 2004 6:03 pm
- Location: Omaha, NE
Re: Cunningham Lake
Couple Thoughts I had:Mjs5050ss wrote: Tue Jan 19, 2021 1:44 pm Has anyone heard of an update on the lake? All I can find was that it was going to be opened in the Fall, but that didn't happen. Driving by, it doesn't look like the refill has started yet.
1. Longeran Lake is upstream and was also drained and renovated, Longeran isn't quite full yet so I am guessing there isn't much water making it down to Cunningham.
2. Its filled with rain water and we didn't get much rain in 2020.

Omaha Skyline Photos, Omaha Aerial Photos, and More.
Website: www.bradwilliamsphotography.com
Facebook: www.facebook.com/bradwilliamsphotography
Twitter: www.twitter.com/bradwphoto
Instagram: www.instagram.com/bradwilliamsphotography
YouTube: www.youtube.com/@bradwilliamsphoto
-
Busguy2010
- City Council
- Posts: 7328
- Joined: Sat Apr 09, 2011 7:32 pm
- Location: North Central Omaha
Re: Cunningham Lake
I went there in October... Gates were open, so I went in. I later realized I was surprised nobody told me to leave because there were a bunch of workers present. After walking from the parking lot to the dam, I figured out that the park was indeed not open and I jetted out before they called the cops or I got locked in. Anyway, at that time the trail looked totally complete as far as I could see, and the lake looked normal... And ever since the gates have been closed. I thought it was supposed to open this spring anyway.
Edit: Supposed to be finished in 2020, but would be essentially unusable until spring 2021.
Are the gates open yet at least? Actually think I'm gonna drive by there tonight so I will find out.
Edit: Supposed to be finished in 2020, but would be essentially unusable until spring 2021.
Are the gates open yet at least? Actually think I'm gonna drive by there tonight so I will find out.
-
Busguy2010
- City Council
- Posts: 7328
- Joined: Sat Apr 09, 2011 7:32 pm
- Location: North Central Omaha
Re: Cunningham Lake
Confirmed that it is not open.
-
Brad
- Photographer
- Posts: 1036562
- Joined: Sat Feb 28, 2004 6:03 pm
- Location: Omaha, NE
Re: Cunningham Lake
Like I said earlier, it was so dry in 2020 and when you are trying to fill the next lake upstream, it might be behind. You can get a good view of Longeran from Pawnee Road and it still had a ways to go as of Saturday 1/2/2021.

Omaha Skyline Photos, Omaha Aerial Photos, and More.
Website: www.bradwilliamsphotography.com
Facebook: www.facebook.com/bradwilliamsphotography
Twitter: www.twitter.com/bradwphoto
Instagram: www.instagram.com/bradwilliamsphotography
YouTube: www.youtube.com/@bradwilliamsphoto
-
OmahaOmaha
- Library Board
- Posts: 296
- Joined: Wed Jul 30, 2014 5:30 pm
- Location: West Omaha
Re: Cunningham Lake
The last time I was out at Lake Cunnuningham was back in the early 1990’s. I was fishing out there when all of the sudden my stomach was churning (greasy Taco Bell food has that affect). I ran to the the restroom (nasty red outhouse) only to find some dude on his knees going to town on another dude. So I think, screw it, I’m going to use the women’s side, only to find two guys going at it in there too. I run to my truck and drive down the road to the next closest bathroom. I go inside, sit down, and within seconds, three guys who were sitting in their parked vehicles when I arrived, walked in on me. Apparently it was some gay pick up spot. Those were some nasty outhouses with lots of graffiti, no doors, and the second bathroom had a big hole in the wall that was supposed to block public view. After that, I decided I’d never return. One of the biggest improvements they could do out there would be to bulldoze those nasty outhouses and build some modern restrooms with doors and locks on them.
-
GrandpaaSmucker
- Parks & Recreation
- Posts: 1879
- Joined: Wed Jun 28, 2017 3:09 pm
Re: Cunningham Lake
I don't think that hole is for blocking the public view.OmahaOmaha wrote: Wed Jan 20, 2021 7:01 pm Those were some nasty outhouses with lots of graffiti, no doors, and the second bathroom had a big hole in the wall that was supposed to block public view.
-
omaproud
- Home Owners Association
- Posts: 184
- Joined: Wed Aug 31, 2005 10:28 am
- Location: NORTHWEST OMAHA
Re: Cunningham Lake
Those outhouses were removed many years ago. It's true that Lake Cunningham was a well-known gay hook up place back in the day.
-
Brad
- Photographer
- Posts: 1036562
- Joined: Sat Feb 28, 2004 6:03 pm
- Location: Omaha, NE
Re: Cunningham Lake
Story on WOWT tonight. Should be open in June.
They are deciding on new rules to prevent Zebra Muscles, could go as far as no outside boats.
They are deciding on new rules to prevent Zebra Muscles, could go as far as no outside boats.

Omaha Skyline Photos, Omaha Aerial Photos, and More.
Website: www.bradwilliamsphotography.com
Facebook: www.facebook.com/bradwilliamsphotography
Twitter: www.twitter.com/bradwphoto
Instagram: www.instagram.com/bradwilliamsphotography
YouTube: www.youtube.com/@bradwilliamsphoto
-
Busguy2010
- City Council
- Posts: 7328
- Joined: Sat Apr 09, 2011 7:32 pm
- Location: North Central Omaha
Re: Cunningham Lake
Wow, can't wait! Last time I went there legally was probably some time in 2018. It's been "closed" in some capacity since at least March of 2019. I've somehow been in the park a couple times since then, and never did see the lake drained. My main reason for going there was for the disc golf course, and last time I accidentally thought it was open, I discovered the course was obviously not part of the plan (the trail cut through at least 3 of the 9 holes). Hope somebody finds some way to re-establish the DG course.Brad wrote: Mon Mar 15, 2021 10:18 pm Story on WOWT tonight. Should be open in June.
They are deciding on new rules to prevent Zebra Muscles, could go as far as no outside boats.
-
Big E
- City Council
- Posts: 8176
- Joined: Thu Jan 27, 2005 11:12 am
-
Busguy2010
- City Council
- Posts: 7328
- Joined: Sat Apr 09, 2011 7:32 pm
- Location: North Central Omaha
Re: Cunningham Lake
The current Google Maps view has the lake mostly drained if anybody was interested in seeing that.
I drove by today and the entrances are still not open, so assuming the park and lake are still not open, nor have they been open ever since it closed in (I think) 2018. I snuck in twice in that period of time. But hard to believe the lake and park have been closed for going on three years. I can't wait, really. When I drove by today, I saw there are some pretty nice welcome signs, better concrete there. I got in once and briefly walked the trail, but there's not much to report there. I can't wait til it is open. I miss the place.
I drove by today and the entrances are still not open, so assuming the park and lake are still not open, nor have they been open ever since it closed in (I think) 2018. I snuck in twice in that period of time. But hard to believe the lake and park have been closed for going on three years. I can't wait, really. When I drove by today, I saw there are some pretty nice welcome signs, better concrete there. I got in once and briefly walked the trail, but there's not much to report there. I can't wait til it is open. I miss the place.
-
ita
- County Board
- Posts: 4746
- Joined: Thu Jul 12, 2018 4:11 pm
Re: Cunningham Lake
Cunningham Lake to reopen Aug. 5 with full boating access after $23 million redevelopment


There is a nice drone video that I don't know how to include, but here are some pics. It looks great, we might camp there in the fall.Grab the bikes, the boats and the babies.
After a three-year wait and $23 million in changes, Cunningham Lake will reopen to the public Aug. 5.
And when it does, the lake will open to all boats, an about-face from a proposal put forth by the private foundation that will operate the park.
The reopening of the 1,050-acre park will give members of the public their first chance to bike or walk the new 6-mile concrete path around the lake, pitch a tent or trailer at one of the new campsites or revisit a favorite cove in Omaha’s largest lake.
“It’s beautiful,” said Brook Bench, executive director of the foundation that renovated the park. “The lake is pretty and scenic, and when people see the trail and how pretty it is, I think they will be impressed. The renovations are spectacular.”


-
Busguy2010
- City Council
- Posts: 7328
- Joined: Sat Apr 09, 2011 7:32 pm
- Location: North Central Omaha
-
yard salad
- Home Owners Association
- Posts: 61
- Joined: Wed Nov 11, 2015 10:01 am
- Location: midtown
Re: Cunningham Lake
Looks really nice. Glad it's a no-wake lake which will make it really nice for paddleboards, kayaks, etc.
The lack of restrictions on motorboats for zebra mussels and the 'voluntary' boat cleaning means that it's only a matter of time before the lake is infested again.
The lack of restrictions on motorboats for zebra mussels and the 'voluntary' boat cleaning means that it's only a matter of time before the lake is infested again.
-
Busguy2010
- City Council
- Posts: 7328
- Joined: Sat Apr 09, 2011 7:32 pm
- Location: North Central Omaha
Re: Cunningham Lake
I got myself to Cunningham tonight for a bit of disc golf. It was busy to say the least. I got to hole 7, 8 and 9, which are down by the main entry road, and in my approximately 20 minutes on those holes, I wouldnt be exaggerating if I said I saw 50 vehicles come and go. Could be the newness factor, and that it was Sunday night, but I hope it doesn't stay that busy. I always liked Cunningham because it was pretty low- key. Havent yet walked the trail.
-
jessep28
- Planning Board
- Posts: 2819
- Joined: Wed Sep 03, 2008 4:10 pm
- Location: Omaha Metro Area
Re: Cunningham Lake
Now that Walter Scott Jr. has died, are they going to reopen the Rainwood entrance to Cunningham Lake now?
Verbum Domini Manet in Aeternum
-
Mjs5050ss
- Home Owners Association
- Posts: 95
- Joined: Thu Feb 08, 2018 3:42 pm
Re: Cunningham Lake
Anyone know why the north entrance off HWY 36 is still closed, and if there is a plan to open it?
That was one of my favorite spots for fishing to get away from the crowds.
That was one of my favorite spots for fishing to get away from the crowds.
-
Coyote
- City Council
- Posts: 34366
- Joined: Tue Nov 18, 2003 11:18 am
- Location: Aksarben Village
Re: Cunningham Lake
Lake Cunningham undergoes upgrades just in time for summer season
-
Coyote
- City Council
- Posts: 34366
- Joined: Tue Nov 18, 2003 11:18 am
- Location: Aksarben Village
Re: Cunningham Lake
Watch the sunset from Cunningham Lake on May 29, 2024
