HyVee Business News

News and releases from metro area businesses
garyomaha
Home Owners Association
Posts: 239
Joined: Thu Jun 05, 2008 4:53 pm
Location: Omaha Metro Area

Re: HyVee Growth Plans

Post by garyomaha »

nebugeater wrote: Sun Oct 31, 2021 9:29 pm The FNBO branch in the Hyvee @ 180th and Q has closed in the last couple of weeks.

The Cobalt Credit Union (SAC Federal CU) recently closed at the HyVee at 79th and Cass.
User avatar
Brad
Photographer
Posts: 1036609
Joined: Sun Feb 29, 2004 12:03 am
Location: Omaha, NE

Re: HyVee Growth Plans

Post by Brad »

garyomaha wrote: Sun Oct 31, 2021 9:40 pm
nebugeater wrote: Sun Oct 31, 2021 9:29 pm The FNBO branch in the Hyvee @ 180th and Q has closed in the last couple of weeks.

The Cobalt Credit Union (SAC Federal CU) recently closed at the HyVee at 79th and Cass.
I'm sure they are going to launch "First HyVee National Bank FCU"... LOL
User avatar
GrandpaaSmucker
Parks & Recreation
Posts: 1879
Joined: Wed Jun 28, 2017 8:09 pm

Re: HyVee Growth Plans

Post by GrandpaaSmucker »

I got around to trying the new Wahlburgers at HyVee. Boy was that a mistake but I had to try it once. I could tell walking in that it was going to be a bad scene. The so called new Wahlburgers at HyVee is basically the same old HyVee Market Express Grille with new menus printed up. If that is not bad enough I think they are using a cheaper quality hamburger then they were before. Straight up that burger was nothing to write home about. I would rather have a 5 dollar Whopper from Burger King. The fries were cheap frozen fries that tasted like wood just like what you would get at a Burger King or McDonalds. This quarter pounder Wahlburger hamburger and fries cost $10.90. I also bought a chocolate malt which cost $5 bucks. The malt was hand mixed with real ice cream but to be honest it did not taste right. The service was a joke as well. Someone was telling me that the reason the HyVee restaurants are so bad is they are run by sub contractors and not HyVee.

Straight up this place is a bad scene and you better stay away if you know whats good for you!

Image Bun from of a cheap 8 pack bag
upload images

Image $5 dollars for a malt this small!
Brooklyn Decker
New to the Neighborhood
Posts: 16
Joined: Thu Feb 12, 2009 4:30 pm
Location: Sports Illustrated

Re: HyVee Growth Plans

Post by Brooklyn Decker »

Of course it sucked. Not only is this just another chain restaurant, its a chain located in a grocery store that sucks. This forum is so dumb when it comes to restaurants. We have a thousand great mom and pop restaurants in town to get a burger, but this forum is obsessed with the strangest chain |expletive|.
Brooklyn Decker
User avatar
GrandpaaSmucker
Parks & Recreation
Posts: 1879
Joined: Wed Jun 28, 2017 8:09 pm

Re: HyVee Growth Plans

Post by GrandpaaSmucker »

Brooklyn Decker wrote: Mon Nov 01, 2021 3:52 am Of course it sucked. Not only is this just another chain restaurant, its a chain located in a grocery store that sucks. This forum is so dumb when it comes to restaurants. We have a thousand great mom and pop restaurants in town to get a burger, but this forum is obsessed with the strangest chain |expletive|.
I do feel and know your frustration! They don't give IQ tests to determine who gets to post here. This is the internet man! Maybe you could post some reviews in here and help steer us to some of these great places. I was thinking about trying the Kona Grill this week you got something to say about that place feel free to share it.
User avatar
skinzfan23
City Council
Posts: 11643
Joined: Mon Feb 09, 2004 5:26 pm
Location: Omaha/Bellevue

Re: HyVee Growth Plans

Post by skinzfan23 »

Wow almost $11 for that. From the looks of it, I would much rather go to BK.
djc311
Planning Board
Posts: 2147
Joined: Wed Mar 10, 2004 4:44 am
Location: Omaha

Re: HyVee Growth Plans

Post by djc311 »

skinzfan23 wrote: Mon Nov 01, 2021 3:54 pm Wow almost $11 for that. From the looks of it, I would much rather go to BK.
Hey... watch the BK talk... remember where that got us the first time!?!
User avatar
Garrett
County Board
Posts: 4709
Joined: Thu Nov 27, 2008 12:29 am
Location: New York City

Re: HyVee Growth Plans

Post by Garrett »

GrandpaaSmucker wrote: Mon Nov 01, 2021 4:22 am
Brooklyn Decker wrote: Mon Nov 01, 2021 3:52 am Of course it sucked. Not only is this just another chain restaurant, its a chain located in a grocery store that sucks. This forum is so dumb when it comes to restaurants. We have a thousand great mom and pop restaurants in town to get a burger, but this forum is obsessed with the strangest chain |expletive|.
I do feel and know your frustration! They don't give IQ tests to determine who gets to post here. This is the internet man! Maybe you could post some reviews in here and help steer us to some of these great places. I was thinking about trying the Kona Grill this week you got something to say about that place feel free to share it.
Kona is also a chain. ;-)
OMA-->CHI-->NYC
omaha79
Parks & Recreation
Posts: 1635
Joined: Fri Nov 13, 2015 9:46 pm

Re: HyVee Growth Plans

Post by omaha79 »

GrandpaaSmucker wrote: Mon Nov 01, 2021 3:42 am I got around to trying the new Wahlburgers at HyVee. Boy was that a mistake but I had to try it once. I could tell walking in that it was going to be a bad scene. The so called new Wahlburgers at HyVee is basically the same old HyVee Market Express Grille with new menus printed up. If that is not bad enough I think they are using a cheaper quality hamburger then they were before. Straight up that burger was nothing to write home about. I would rather have a 5 dollar Whopper from Burger King. The fries were cheap frozen fries that tasted like wood just like what you would get at a Burger King or McDonalds. This quarter pounder Wahlburger hamburger and fries cost $10.90. I also bought a chocolate malt which cost $5 bucks. The malt was hand mixed with real ice cream but to be honest it did not taste right. The service was a joke as well. Someone was telling me that the reason the HyVee restaurants are so bad is they are run by sub contractors and not HyVee.

Straight up this place is a bad scene and you better stay away if you know whats good for you!

Image Bun from of a cheap 8 pack bag
upload images

Image $5 dollars for a malt this small!
I thought about this place the first time I saw it was opened. I knew immediately that no good could come of just slapping another name on yet the same areas of Hy-Vee's restaurant areas that have already failed multiple times. Whether it's Hy Vee Diner, Market Grille, or Wahlburgers, nothing has changed. They pretty much have the same tables, chairs, staff, and people preparing the food. It's likely all frozen. Nothing good has ever, and will ever come from a restaurant situated in a grocery store. It's not high cuisine. It's "I'm already at the store and I'm hungry". The bar is so low and they can never hit it. This will be another failed concept in a year or two, guarantee it. It's not like Wahlburgers probably has any skin in the game. They likely aren't hiring their own restaurant managers or staff.

For $10.90, you darn near could have gone to Nite Owl and had a burger.
User avatar
nativeomahan
County Board
Posts: 6014
Joined: Fri Nov 12, 2004 8:46 pm
Location: Omaha and Puerto Vallarta

Re: HyVee Growth Plans

Post by nativeomahan »

Back in the 1980s when Baker’s Supermarkets were actually owned by Abe Baker, the chain had good breakfast and lunch restaurants in most of their supermarkets. They weren’t stylish or trendy but they were VERY popular. But that was then, and this is 2021.
I read where Wahlburgers uses a 80/20 fat ratio in their burgers. I would not serve that to a guest at my house! Maybe to my dog. She isn’t picky.
OmaJayhawk
New to the Neighborhood
Posts: 34
Joined: Wed Sep 18, 2019 9:37 pm

Re: HyVee Growth Plans

Post by OmaJayhawk »

Many places use 80/20. Most of the fat cooks off and what's left adds to the flavor. Anything above 85/15 for a hamburger is too dry.
User avatar
nebugeater
City Council
Posts: 110985
Joined: Wed Aug 04, 2004 11:07 pm
Location: Gretna NE

Re: HyVee Growth Plans

Post by nebugeater »

nebugeater wrote: Sun Oct 31, 2021 9:29 pm The FNBO branch in the Hyvee @ 180th and Q has closed in the last couple of weeks. All signage is down. Wonder if another bank moves in or if the space is repurposed.
The area where the bank was is completely gutted now.
For the record  NEBUGEATER does not equal BUGEATER    !!!!!!!
Louie
County Board
Posts: 4939
Joined: Fri Dec 23, 2011 10:23 pm
Location: Dundee

Re: HyVee Growth Plans

Post by Louie »

OmaJayhawk wrote: Wed Nov 10, 2021 3:11 pm Many places use 80/20. Most of the fat cooks off and what's left adds to the flavor. Anything above 85/15 for a hamburger is too dry.
Retweet
User avatar
Busguy2010
City Council
Posts: 7334
Joined: Sun Apr 10, 2011 12:32 am
Location: North Central Omaha

Re: HyVee Growth Plans

Post by Busguy2010 »

85/15 is my go to at home, and I agree anything higher is for people on a strict diet. 80/20 tends to be too fatty for chili and spaghetti meat, and much of the mass you pay for does indeed go to waste. Plus 80/20 burgers shrink in diameter and thicken more as they cook and are more likely to end up with one of those patties that is smaller than the bun and not all the way cooked through. That might be some people's jam, but not mine.
User avatar
jessep28
Planning Board
Posts: 2819
Joined: Wed Sep 03, 2008 9:10 pm
Location: Omaha Metro Area

Re: HyVee Growth Plans

Post by jessep28 »

I get 80/20 in case lots from Sam's, or a meat supplier out of David City.

If you make smaller patties (2 oz) and smash the snot out of them right away on a hot flat top with a trowel or whatever, it sears everything and prevents the burgers from drying out.
Verbum Domini Manet in Aeternum
User avatar
TheSeventhBrat
Home Owners Association
Posts: 214
Joined: Thu Dec 05, 2013 4:59 am

Re: HyVee Growth Plans

Post by TheSeventhBrat »

nativeomahan wrote: Wed Nov 10, 2021 4:31 am Back in the 1980s when Baker’s Supermarkets were actually owned by Abe Baker, the chain had good breakfast and lunch restaurants in most of their supermarkets. They weren’t stylish or trendy but they were VERY popular. But that was then, and this is 2021.
I read where Wahlburgers uses a 80/20 fat ratio in their burgers. I would not serve that to a guest at my house! Maybe to my dog. She isn’t picky.
Baker's Market Place Cafes were immensely popular. I can remember the one at Spring Valley would have lines in the evenings and at lunch. Business started going down when the casinos opened with buffets. As an associate, I didn't eat there too often as we were actually discouraged from taking our breaks/lunches there.

The Family Fare on Vinton still has the Cafe in place. Not sure how often it's open, though. It's always closed when I stop in when I get off work at 5.
User avatar
Busguy2010
City Council
Posts: 7334
Joined: Sun Apr 10, 2011 12:32 am
Location: North Central Omaha

Re: HyVee Growth Plans

Post by Busguy2010 »

TheSeventhBrat wrote: Sun Nov 14, 2021 9:53 pm The Family Fare on Vinton still has the Cafe in place. Not sure how often it's open, though. It's always closed when I stop in when I get off work at 5.
That's a Nuestra Familia, yes basically the same thing as Family Fare. That location is one of the few Family Fare/No Frills/Bag N Save/Nuestra Familia locations that I haven't been in. Before it was Nuestra Familia, it was a Bag N Save. Was it ever a Baker's?

Also its funny after all the consolidation the Nash-Finch did back in 2015-ish, that they kept two locations just four blocks apart, as there is a Family Fare at 24th & Vinton.
ChadJK
Planning Board
Posts: 2515
Joined: Tue Feb 19, 2019 8:51 pm

Re: HyVee Growth Plans

Post by ChadJK »

Brooklyn Decker wrote: Mon Nov 01, 2021 3:52 am Of course it sucked. Not only is this just another chain restaurant, its a chain located in a grocery store that sucks. This forum is so dumb when it comes to restaurants. We have a thousand great mom and pop restaurants in town to get a burger, but this forum is obsessed with the strangest chain |expletive|.
I've never been a fan of the "it's privately owned and that automatically makes it awesome" approach to the restaurant scene or its inverse ("it's a chain so it automatically stinks"). I've been served plenty of cräp meals at "ma and pa" restaurants.
ProgKingHughesker
Home Owners Association
Posts: 178
Joined: Sun Jun 03, 2018 12:32 am

Re: HyVee Growth Plans

Post by ProgKingHughesker »

Busguy2010 wrote: Mon Nov 15, 2021 2:36 am
TheSeventhBrat wrote: Sun Nov 14, 2021 9:53 pm The Family Fare on Vinton still has the Cafe in place. Not sure how often it's open, though. It's always closed when I stop in when I get off work at 5.
That's a Nuestra Familia, yes basically the same thing as Family Fare. That location is one of the few Family Fare/No Frills/Bag N Save/Nuestra Familia locations that I haven't been in. Before it was Nuestra Familia, it was a Bag N Save. Was it ever a Baker's?

Also its funny after all the consolidation the Nash-Finch did back in 2015-ish, that they kept two locations just four blocks apart, as there is a Family Fare at 24th & Vinton.
He's talking about the Family Fare at 24th and Vinton in the former Bakers/No Frills, that's the one that still has the cafe
User avatar
Busguy2010
City Council
Posts: 7334
Joined: Sun Apr 10, 2011 12:32 am
Location: North Central Omaha

Re: HyVee Growth Plans

Post by Busguy2010 »

ProgKingHughesker wrote: Tue Nov 16, 2021 12:00 am He's talking about the Family Fare at 24th and Vinton in the former Bakers/No Frills, that's the one that still has the cafe
Okay, that makes sense. They said on Vinton, when the Family Fare is on 24th at Vinton ish.

So the Family Fare was a Bakers at one point before it was No Frills?
ProgKingHughesker
Home Owners Association
Posts: 178
Joined: Sun Jun 03, 2018 12:32 am

Re: HyVee Growth Plans

Post by ProgKingHughesker »

Busguy2010 wrote: Tue Nov 16, 2021 12:40 am
ProgKingHughesker wrote: Tue Nov 16, 2021 12:00 am He's talking about the Family Fare at 24th and Vinton in the former Bakers/No Frills, that's the one that still has the cafe
Okay, that makes sense. They said on Vinton, when the Family Fare is on 24th at Vinton ish.

So the Family Fare was a Bakers at one point before it was No Frills?
Yes, although I never went inside it until it was a No Frills. IIRC No Frills got it as part of the deal to give Bakers some of the former Albertsons that were originally going to NF (120th and Center, 72nd and Military, Bellevue)
User avatar
Busguy2010
City Council
Posts: 7334
Joined: Sun Apr 10, 2011 12:32 am
Location: North Central Omaha

Re: HyVee Growth Plans

Post by Busguy2010 »

ProgKingHughesker wrote: Tue Nov 16, 2021 1:01 am Yes, although I never went inside it until it was a No Frills. IIRC No Frills got it as part of the deal to give Bakers some of the former Albertsons that were originally going to NF (120th and Center, 72nd and Military, Bellevue)
How did that deal work then? I know there were a variety of Albertson's that became Bag N' Save... 108th & Maple, 108th & Q, 76th & Dodge are the ones I know of. Also the 72nd & Military Barkers was an Albertson's at some point? It must have been very brief because that building was built in about 2000 or 2001 and as I recall, Albertson's left musta been right around that time.
User avatar
Brad
Photographer
Posts: 1036609
Joined: Sun Feb 29, 2004 12:03 am
Location: Omaha, NE

Re: HyVee Growth Plans

Post by Brad »

Busguy2010 wrote: Tue Nov 16, 2021 1:22 am How did that deal work then?
First post in the thread:
https://www.eomahaforums.com/viewtopic. ... =baker%27s
User avatar
TheSeventhBrat
Home Owners Association
Posts: 214
Joined: Thu Dec 05, 2013 4:59 am

Re: HyVee Growth Plans

Post by TheSeventhBrat »

Busguy2010 wrote: Mon Nov 15, 2021 2:36 am
TheSeventhBrat wrote: Sun Nov 14, 2021 9:53 pm The Family Fare on Vinton still has the Cafe in place. Not sure how often it's open, though. It's always closed when I stop in when I get off work at 5.
That's a Nuestra Familia, yes basically the same thing as Family Fare. That location is one of the few Family Fare/No Frills/Bag N Save/Nuestra Familia locations that I haven't been in. Before it was Nuestra Familia, it was a Bag N Save. Was it ever a Baker's?

Also its funny after all the consolidation the Nash-Finch did back in 2015-ish, that they kept two locations just four blocks apart, as there is a Family Fare at 24th & Vinton.
I was speaking of the Family Fare on 24th & Vinton, which used to be a Baker's.
User avatar
Brad
Photographer
Posts: 1036609
Joined: Sun Feb 29, 2004 12:03 am
Location: Omaha, NE

Re: HyVee Growth Plans

Post by Brad »

TheSeventhBrat wrote: Thu Nov 18, 2021 12:06 am
Busguy2010 wrote: Mon Nov 15, 2021 2:36 am
TheSeventhBrat wrote: Sun Nov 14, 2021 9:53 pm The Family Fare on Vinton still has the Cafe in place. Not sure how often it's open, though. It's always closed when I stop in when I get off work at 5.
That's a Nuestra Familia, yes basically the same thing as Family Fare. That location is one of the few Family Fare/No Frills/Bag N Save/Nuestra Familia locations that I haven't been in. Before it was Nuestra Familia, it was a Bag N Save. Was it ever a Baker's?

Also its funny after all the consolidation the Nash-Finch did back in 2015-ish, that they kept two locations just four blocks apart, as there is a Family Fare at 24th & Vinton.
I was speaking of the Family Fare on 24th & Vinton, which used to be a Baker's.
I always thought 24th and Vinton had a similar look to the Baker's on 72nd and Blondo.
User avatar
nebugeater
City Council
Posts: 110985
Joined: Wed Aug 04, 2004 11:07 pm
Location: Gretna NE

Re: HyVee Growth Plans

Post by nebugeater »

Is this a HyVee groth thread?
For the record  NEBUGEATER does not equal BUGEATER    !!!!!!!
User avatar
Silverspoon
Home Owners Association
Posts: 239
Joined: Wed Dec 19, 2012 10:05 pm
Location: Omaha, NE

Re: HyVee Growth Plans

Post by Silverspoon »

nebugeater wrote: Thu Nov 18, 2021 9:23 pm Is this a HyVee groth thread?
Yes! Its all about the "groth" of HyVee!
Jim Flowers rules!
User avatar
Brad
Photographer
Posts: 1036609
Joined: Sun Feb 29, 2004 12:03 am
Location: Omaha, NE

Re: HyVee Growth Plans

Post by Brad »

User avatar
Busguy2010
City Council
Posts: 7334
Joined: Sun Apr 10, 2011 12:32 am
Location: North Central Omaha

Re: HyVee Growth Plans

Post by Busguy2010 »

Don't forget the Downtown Hy-Vee :;):
ChadJK
Planning Board
Posts: 2515
Joined: Tue Feb 19, 2019 8:51 pm

Re: HyVee Growth Plans

Post by ChadJK »

Does Hy-Vee have a hyphen in it or not? You all are making my eyelid twitch. :)
User avatar
Busguy2010
City Council
Posts: 7334
Joined: Sun Apr 10, 2011 12:32 am
Location: North Central Omaha

Re: HyVee Growth Plans

Post by Busguy2010 »

ChadJK wrote: Tue Nov 23, 2021 2:36 pm Does Hy-Vee have a hyphen in it or not? You all are making my eyelid twitch. :)
https://www.hy-vee.com/

In their logo is an implied hyphen between the y and the v by a chunk being taken out of both :

Image
User avatar
TheSeventhBrat
Home Owners Association
Posts: 214
Joined: Thu Dec 05, 2013 4:59 am

Re: HyVee Growth Plans

Post by TheSeventhBrat »

Busguy2010 wrote: Tue Nov 16, 2021 1:22 am
ProgKingHughesker wrote: Tue Nov 16, 2021 1:01 am Yes, although I never went inside it until it was a No Frills. IIRC No Frills got it as part of the deal to give Bakers some of the former Albertsons that were originally going to NF (120th and Center, 72nd and Military, Bellevue)
How did that deal work then? I know there were a variety of Albertson's that became Bag N' Save... 108th & Maple, 108th & Q, 76th & Dodge are the ones I know of. Also the 72nd & Military Barkers was an Albertson's at some point? It must have been very brief because that building was built in about 2000 or 2001 and as I recall, Albertson's left musta been right around that time.
Albertson's left the market in 2004. When they decided to sell their locations, but did not want to sell them to Baker's/Kroger. They made a deal with No Frills and Bag'n Save to split the stores between them. Then No Frills and Bag'n Save sold the Twin Creek, Westwood, & Military locations to Baker's. No Frills & Bag'n Save took over 108th & Q, 108th & Maple, 144th & W Center, Ft Crook Road in Bellevue and probably a couple others I'm forgetting. If you ask me, Baker's ended up with the nicest buildings and best locations. All three have done well and always appear to be busy.

No Frills took over Baker's Spring Valley (50th & G),No Frills and Bag'n Save eventually merged, then were sold to Spartan Nash. Spring Valley closed a few years ago and sits empty today.

Just a bit of background: I worked at Baker's Spring Valley from 1992 until 2004, then again from 2011 through 2018. I was forced to transfer to Westwood when Baker's acquired that location. That transfer broke my heart and was the reason I ended up leaving Baker's the first time. I worked for Super Saver in Millard in between my two stints at Baker's. Another forced transfer resulted me in leaving Baker's again. Now I'm out of the grocery industry all together, though I still have a ton of friends and contacts from my time.

And I absolutely do not miss being in the grocery industry, especially around the holidays and even more especially with COVID.
User avatar
Busguy2010
City Council
Posts: 7334
Joined: Sun Apr 10, 2011 12:32 am
Location: North Central Omaha

Re: HyVee Growth Plans

Post by Busguy2010 »

I think the saddle Creek No Frills > Family Fare used to be an Albertsons based on building design alone.

And I wouldn't blame you for leaving... I went to the Cass Hy-Vee yesterday about noon and it was an absolute zoo! I never go there during the day. Lots of people standing near each other, talking, unmasked and lots of people coughing. I've had my booster shot and was wearing my mask, but that short trip caused me a lot of anxiety. I couldn't wait to get out of there.
User avatar
Busguy2010
City Council
Posts: 7334
Joined: Sun Apr 10, 2011 12:32 am
Location: North Central Omaha

Re: HyVee Growth Plans

Post by Busguy2010 »

Also I went to the Cass Hy-Vee thinking about getting a fresh split turkey breast. I bought one I think 3 or 4 years ago from that store, around Christmas, and I believe it was only about 10 bucks, maybe 12 tops. I went there yesterday and all I could find were colossal breasts and they were all 40-50 bucks. Guess I didn't check the weight of them, but still that seemed really steep. Anybody know what's up with that? My guess is that it is because it was the day before Thanksgiving, and they're selling them at a premium because of it, and starting on Black Friday and the days following, they will be selling them dirt cheap. Just a hunch.
djc311
Planning Board
Posts: 2147
Joined: Wed Mar 10, 2004 4:44 am
Location: Omaha

Re: HyVee Growth Plans

Post by djc311 »

[quote=Busguy2010 post_id=341041 time=1637853854 user_id=1759]
I think the saddle Creek No Frills > Family Fare used to be an Albertsons based on building design alone.

Saddle Creek was an Albertsons when it first opened. I worked at the one on 78th & Dodge and was going to transfer to SC back in 1992 when it opened, but thankfully I was able to get into a different type of job. Not that working at a grocery store is a bad gig, but I was over working for the management that we had at 78th.
OmahaOmaha
Library Board
Posts: 296
Joined: Wed Jul 30, 2014 10:30 pm
Location: West Omaha

Re: HyVee Growth Plans

Post by OmahaOmaha »

Hy-Vee is going to build a distribution center in Nashville. They intend to open two stores in the Nashville metro area, one in Knoxville and one in Memphis, all in Tennessee, with additional stores landing in Huntsville, Alabama; Louisville, Kentucky; and Indianapolis, Indiana. They plan to open up to 20 new stores by 2025.
User avatar
nativeomahan
County Board
Posts: 6014
Joined: Fri Nov 12, 2004 8:46 pm
Location: Omaha and Puerto Vallarta

Re: HyVee Growth Plans

Post by nativeomahan »

OmaJayhawk wrote: Wed Nov 10, 2021 3:11 pm Many places use 80/20. Most of the fat cooks off and what's left adds to the flavor. Anything above 85/15 for a hamburger is too dry.
85/15 is a nice mix.
User avatar
Busguy2010
City Council
Posts: 7334
Joined: Sun Apr 10, 2011 12:32 am
Location: North Central Omaha

Re: HyVee Growth Plans

Post by Busguy2010 »

nativeomahan wrote: Fri Dec 24, 2021 2:55 am
OmaJayhawk wrote: Wed Nov 10, 2021 3:11 pm Many places use 80/20. Most of the fat cooks off and what's left adds to the flavor. Anything above 85/15 for a hamburger is too dry.
85/15 is a nice mix.
85/15 is a good mix... Its what I use, because even though 80/20 is a bit cheaper, its because it is composed of less meat, and you end up with less of the mass you are looking for. We all get that. Just why I have settled on 85/15 as my preference. Enough fat for flavor, and you don't end up pouring all your money off.

But, I do recall on a camping trip, me and my friends picked up a case of frozen burgers, and we didn't even look at the ratio, but we later by fire light found out they were 73/27. I had never ever heard of that before, but they were frickin good, I'll admit. We cooked em' in lard in a cast iron pan.
TransitOriented
Library Board
Posts: 379
Joined: Wed Nov 17, 2021 2:55 pm

Re: HyVee Growth Plans

Post by TransitOriented »

Hy-Vee to employ armed ‘retail security officers’

https://iowacapitaldispatch.com/2021/12 ... -officers/
User avatar
Busguy2010
City Council
Posts: 7334
Joined: Sun Apr 10, 2011 12:32 am
Location: North Central Omaha

Re: HyVee Growth Plans

Post by Busguy2010 »

I like the idea, but I fear it'll spur some unwanted incidents. I always feel safe when there is an armed Omaha Police officer guarding the door, but I'm not sure about the rent-a-cop style. I just hope they don't kill anyone. We do not need anymore fuel for that fire.