HyVee Business News
-
Linkin5
- County Board
- Posts: 4886
- Joined: Tue Feb 10, 2004 7:59 pm
Re: HyVee Growth Plans
Will definitely feel safer having a guy that failed the police psych test carrying a gun guarding the store.
-
Busguy2010
- City Council
- Posts: 7328
- Joined: Sat Apr 09, 2011 7:32 pm
- Location: North Central Omaha
Re: HyVee Growth Plans
Right? I'm kinda meh about it. I think the underdog mentality of that type of person may cause problems. It remains to be seen.Linkin5 wrote: Mon Jan 03, 2022 7:04 pm Will definitely feel safer having a guy that failed the police psych test carrying a gun guarding the store.
I recall about six months ago, I went to Hy-Vee, and there was an actual Omaha Police officer standing by the door. Guy looked like he could have been a NFL tight end, about 6'8", 270lbs, cut like a MF, and real nice and respectful. Just his physical presence made me think "Dam, not one mf is walking out this door".
-
Greg S
- City Council
- Posts: 8991
- Joined: Thu Aug 26, 2004 10:46 am
Re: HyVee Growth Plans
I noticed this weekend while watching the basketball tournament that Hy Vee has started airing ads about being open on Sunday's. Pretty much screams that Fareway is really starting to hit their bottom line. I can't think of any other reason Hy Vee would be making such a big deal that they are open on Sunday's.
Greg
Greg
-
djc311
- Planning Board
- Posts: 2139
- Joined: Tue Mar 09, 2004 10:44 pm
- Location: Omaha
Re: HyVee Growth Plans
I noticed that, too! I also figured it had to do with Fareway... however, IMO, I wouldn't shop Fareway over HyVee. I went into the Fareway off of 168th & Harrison a couple of weeks ago and I felt like I was in an Osco Drug from the 80's. Perhaps the meat counter is the big winner with them, but I wasn't impressed with their selection of off the shelf items. I'm looking forward to the 192nd & 370 HyVee opening up later... typically I shop at the 180th & Q and that's their smallest store in Omaha. It will be interesting to see what other businesses are attracted to the 192nd location - I always thought a Target closer to Gretna would do well (not next door to a HyVee but possibly up the street somewhere).Greg S wrote: Mon Mar 21, 2022 9:51 am I noticed this weekend while watching the basketball tournament that Hy Vee has started airing ads about being open on Sunday's. Pretty much screams that Fareway is really starting to hit their bottom line. I can't think of any other reason Hy Vee would be making such a big deal that they are open on Sunday's.
Greg
-
ChadJK
- Planning Board
- Posts: 2504
- Joined: Tue Feb 19, 2019 2:51 pm
Re: Hy-Vee Growth Plans
Overall, I like Fareway as a small grocery store. It's no "supermarket," so I try not to use the same measuring stick on it that I would Hy-Vee or Baker's.djc311 wrote: Mon Mar 21, 2022 2:59 pm I wouldn't shop Fareway over HyVee. I went into the Fareway off of 168th & Harrison a couple of weeks ago and I felt like I was in an Osco Drug from the 80's. Perhaps the meat counter is the big winner with them, but I wasn't impressed with their selection of off the shelf items.
Fareway's meat counter is a tad over-rated. When it comes to beef the Fareway meat counter is pretty impressive. All of their beef is USDA Choice and they sell it at fairly decent prices considering. However, for just about everything else (chicken, pork, sausages, fish, seafood) the average Hy-Vee is just as good or better. Also, Fareway has no real deli to speak of. If you need paper goods, toiletries, cleaning supplies, vitamins, and whatnot then you're probably not going to want to peruse Fareway's paltry selection of that stuff.
I'm excited for the Hy-Vee to come to Gretna. Sunday is a pretty key day to not be open. Obviously, Fareway has succeeded despite being closed Sundays, but it feels like most people grocery shop on the weekends and there's certainly a lot of "Oh, shoot, forgot the _____" shopping that happens Sunday nights. So, Gretna losing McKinney's (which is open 7 days a week) in favor of Fareway (which is closed Sundays) is going to be frustrating for a lot of people. However, Hy-Vee will be along soon enough to fix the problem.
-
Greg S
- City Council
- Posts: 8991
- Joined: Thu Aug 26, 2004 10:46 am
Re: HyVee Growth Plans
djc311 wrote: Mon Mar 21, 2022 2:59 pmI noticed that, too! I also figured it had to do with Fareway... however, IMO, I wouldn't shop Fareway over HyVee. I went into the Fareway off of 168th & Harrison a couple of weeks ago and I felt like I was in an Osco Drug from the 80's. Perhaps the meat counter is the big winner with them, but I wasn't impressed with their selection of off the shelf items. I'm looking forward to the 192nd & 370 HyVee opening up later... typically I shop at the 180th & Q and that's their smallest store in Omaha. It will be interesting to see what other businesses are attracted to the 192nd location - I always thought a Target closer to Gretna would do well (not next door to a HyVee but possibly up the street somewhere).Greg S wrote: Mon Mar 21, 2022 9:51 am I noticed this weekend while watching the basketball tournament that Hy Vee has started airing ads about being open on Sunday's. Pretty much screams that Fareway is really starting to hit their bottom line. I can't think of any other reason Hy Vee would be making such a big deal that they are open on Sunday's.
Greg
Hy Vee was never my primary grocery store (just because it's so much more expensive than Baker's and Target where I had primarily gone). For a few items and meat I normally went to Hy Vee though. Since the Fareway opened at 132nd and Fort I have pretty much stopped shopping at Hy Vee. I still hit Baker's and Target but have been surprised how much other stuff I have been buying at Fareway and how competitive their prices are.
Greg
-
damonhynes
- Parks & Recreation
- Posts: 1278
- Joined: Tue Aug 26, 2014 7:35 pm
- Location: Montgomery County, Texas
Re: HyVee Growth Plans
I'm an IndyCar fan, For a couple years Hy-Vee's been sponsoring a car. The ads on the TV broadcast this season mention that you can order groceries nationwide from them for delivery. Interesting to find out the details of that.Greg S wrote: Mon Mar 21, 2022 9:51 am I noticed this weekend while watching the basketball tournament that Hy Vee has started airing ads about being open on Sunday's. Pretty much screams that Fareway is really starting to hit their bottom line. I can't think of any other reason Hy Vee would be making such a big deal that they are open on Sunday's.
Greg
-
Greg S
- City Council
- Posts: 8991
- Joined: Thu Aug 26, 2004 10:46 am
Re: HyVee Growth Plans
That is interesting. I had just read that Kroger (Baker's parent) is offering deliver now in Oklahoma but they don't have stores there.damonhynes wrote: Mon Mar 21, 2022 7:38 pmI'm an IndyCar fan, For a couple years Hy-Vee's been sponsoring a car. The ads on the TV broadcast this season mention that you can order groceries nationwide from them for delivery. Interesting to find out the details of that.Greg S wrote: Mon Mar 21, 2022 9:51 am I noticed this weekend while watching the basketball tournament that Hy Vee has started airing ads about being open on Sunday's. Pretty much screams that Fareway is really starting to hit their bottom line. I can't think of any other reason Hy Vee would be making such a big deal that they are open on Sunday's.
Greg
Greg
-
djc311
- Planning Board
- Posts: 2139
- Joined: Tue Mar 09, 2004 10:44 pm
- Location: Omaha
Re: HyVee Growth Plans
Damn, how do they ship cold items consistently?damonhynes wrote: Mon Mar 21, 2022 7:38 pmI'm an IndyCar fan, For a couple years Hy-Vee's been sponsoring a car. The ads on the TV broadcast this season mention that you can order groceries nationwide from them for delivery. Interesting to find out the details of that.Greg S wrote: Mon Mar 21, 2022 9:51 am I noticed this weekend while watching the basketball tournament that Hy Vee has started airing ads about being open on Sunday's. Pretty much screams that Fareway is really starting to hit their bottom line. I can't think of any other reason Hy Vee would be making such a big deal that they are open on Sunday's.
Greg
Somewhat related (in the sense it's a grocery store item) I was trying to track down Busch Light Apple as that became my favorite drink last summer. I bought out everything I could find at the local stores, but some Coca Cola delivery driver beat me to the Family Fare on 144th and Center which I guess had quite a bit left.
Now I can't find it because it was seasonal and I was going to buy it online, as I've found some out of town places that still have some. Unfortunately none of them will ship to Nebraska. I suppose because it's alcohol there are stiffer restrictions on shipping, but aren't there quite a few wine box services you can order to your home?
Anyway, I heard there may be a Busch Light Pineapple from one of the local drivers... not sure I'd care for that, at least not nearly as much as the apple.
-
damonhynes
- Parks & Recreation
- Posts: 1278
- Joined: Tue Aug 26, 2014 7:35 pm
- Location: Montgomery County, Texas
Re: HyVee Growth Plans
Honest question: Does Quality Brands (132nd @ Giles) have a city sales counter? Or does that violate some agreement with ABInBev (as well as QB's customers)?djc311 wrote: Tue Mar 22, 2022 10:10 amdarn, how do they ship cold items consistently?damonhynes wrote: Mon Mar 21, 2022 7:38 pmI'm an IndyCar fan, For a couple years Hy-Vee's been sponsoring a car. The ads on the TV broadcast this season mention that you can order groceries nationwide from them for delivery. Interesting to find out the details of that.Greg S wrote: Mon Mar 21, 2022 9:51 am I noticed this weekend while watching the basketball tournament that Hy Vee has started airing ads about being open on Sunday's. Pretty much screams that Fareway is really starting to hit their bottom line. I can't think of any other reason Hy Vee would be making such a big deal that they are open on Sunday's.
Greg
Somewhat related (in the sense it's a grocery store item) I was trying to track down Busch Light Apple as that became my favorite drink last summer. I bought out everything I could find at the local stores, but some Coca Cola delivery driver beat me to the Family Fare on 144th and Center which I guess had quite a bit left.
Now I can't find it because it was seasonal and I was going to buy it online, as I've found some out of town places that still have some. Unfortunately none of them will ship to Nebraska. I suppose because it's alcohol there are stiffer restrictions on shipping, but aren't there quite a few wine box services you can order to your home?
Anyway, I heard there may be a Busch Light Pineapple from one of the local drivers... not sure I'd care for that, at least not nearly as much as the apple.![]()
-
Louie
- County Board
- Posts: 4936
- Joined: Fri Dec 23, 2011 4:23 pm
- Location: Dundee
Re: HyVee Growth Plans
It would be illegal as of now for a consumer to purchase direct from a distributor.damonhynes wrote: Tue Mar 22, 2022 2:05 pmHonest question: Does Quality Brands (132nd @ Giles) have a city sales counter? Or does that violate some agreement with ABInBev (as well as QB's customers)?djc311 wrote: Tue Mar 22, 2022 10:10 amdarn, how do they ship cold items consistently?damonhynes wrote: Mon Mar 21, 2022 7:38 pmI'm an IndyCar fan, For a couple years Hy-Vee's been sponsoring a car. The ads on the TV broadcast this season mention that you can order groceries nationwide from them for delivery. Interesting to find out the details of that.Greg S wrote: Mon Mar 21, 2022 9:51 am I noticed this weekend while watching the basketball tournament that Hy Vee has started airing ads about being open on Sunday's. Pretty much screams that Fareway is really starting to hit their bottom line. I can't think of any other reason Hy Vee would be making such a big deal that they are open on Sunday's.
Greg
Somewhat related (in the sense it's a grocery store item) I was trying to track down Busch Light Apple as that became my favorite drink last summer. I bought out everything I could find at the local stores, but some Coca Cola delivery driver beat me to the Family Fare on 144th and Center which I guess had quite a bit left.
Now I can't find it because it was seasonal and I was going to buy it online, as I've found some out of town places that still have some. Unfortunately none of them will ship to Nebraska. I suppose because it's alcohol there are stiffer restrictions on shipping, but aren't there quite a few wine box services you can order to your home?
Anyway, I heard there may be a Busch Light Pineapple from one of the local drivers... not sure I'd care for that, at least not nearly as much as the apple.![]()
-
damonhynes
- Parks & Recreation
- Posts: 1278
- Joined: Tue Aug 26, 2014 7:35 pm
- Location: Montgomery County, Texas
Re: HyVee Growth Plans
Great. :-) Thanks!Louie wrote: Tue Mar 22, 2022 2:38 pmIt would be illegal as of now for a consumer to purchase direct from a distributor.damonhynes wrote: Tue Mar 22, 2022 2:05 pmHonest question: Does Quality Brands (132nd @ Giles) have a city sales counter? Or does that violate some agreement with ABInBev (as well as QB's customers)?djc311 wrote: Tue Mar 22, 2022 10:10 amdarn, how do they ship cold items consistently?damonhynes wrote: Mon Mar 21, 2022 7:38 pmI'm an IndyCar fan, For a couple years Hy-Vee's been sponsoring a car. The ads on the TV broadcast this season mention that you can order groceries nationwide from them for delivery. Interesting to find out the details of that.Greg S wrote: Mon Mar 21, 2022 9:51 am I noticed this weekend while watching the basketball tournament that Hy Vee has started airing ads about being open on Sunday's. Pretty much screams that Fareway is really starting to hit their bottom line. I can't think of any other reason Hy Vee would be making such a big deal that they are open on Sunday's.
Greg
Somewhat related (in the sense it's a grocery store item) I was trying to track down Busch Light Apple as that became my favorite drink last summer. I bought out everything I could find at the local stores, but some Coca Cola delivery driver beat me to the Family Fare on 144th and Center which I guess had quite a bit left.
Now I can't find it because it was seasonal and I was going to buy it online, as I've found some out of town places that still have some. Unfortunately none of them will ship to Nebraska. I suppose because it's alcohol there are stiffer restrictions on shipping, but aren't there quite a few wine box services you can order to your home?
Anyway, I heard there may be a Busch Light Pineapple from one of the local drivers... not sure I'd care for that, at least not nearly as much as the apple.![]()
-
ChadJK
- Planning Board
- Posts: 2504
- Joined: Tue Feb 19, 2019 2:51 pm
Re: Hy-Vee Growth Plans
The Three-Tier System.Louie wrote: Tue Mar 22, 2022 2:38 pm It would be illegal as of now for a consumer to purchase direct from a distributor.
-
Louie
- County Board
- Posts: 4936
- Joined: Fri Dec 23, 2011 4:23 pm
- Location: Dundee
Re: Hy-Vee Growth Plans
Bingo ^. Though I am glad that breweries are making headway on being able to move their own product. That part was always silly.ChadJK wrote: Wed Mar 23, 2022 8:51 amThe Three-Tier System.Louie wrote: Tue Mar 22, 2022 2:38 pm It would be illegal as of now for a consumer to purchase direct from a distributor.![]()
-
damonhynes
- Parks & Recreation
- Posts: 1278
- Joined: Tue Aug 26, 2014 7:35 pm
- Location: Montgomery County, Texas
Re: Hy-Vee Growth Plans
Perfect. Thanks!ChadJK wrote: Wed Mar 23, 2022 8:51 amThe Three-Tier System.Louie wrote: Tue Mar 22, 2022 2:38 pm It would be illegal as of now for a consumer to purchase direct from a distributor.![]()
-
nebugeater
- City Council
- Posts: 110957
- Joined: Wed Aug 04, 2004 6:07 pm
- Location: Gretna NE
Re: HyVee Growth Plans
HyVee had laid off 121 potions at the Corporate level. This is out of 1534 positions. Of the 121 102 were offered other positions and 19 were SOOL
https://www.kcrg.com/2022/03/24/hy-vee- ... PRPWNxItgk
https://www.kcrg.com/2022/03/24/hy-vee- ... PRPWNxItgk
For the record NEBUGEATER does not equal BUGEATER !!!!!!!
-
Doctor Fate
- Parks & Recreation
- Posts: 1276
- Joined: Tue Feb 20, 2018 5:31 pm
- Location: DC Metro
Re: HyVee Growth Plans
This was trending on Reddit with like 50K upvotes and 4K comments. The CEO laid off IT and marketing employees and then offered them retail positions, and then said that if they didn't want the retail job he didn't want them at Hy-Vee?nebugeater wrote: Thu Mar 24, 2022 5:57 pm HyVee had laid off 121 potions at the Corporate level. This is out of 1534 positions. Of the 121 102 were offered other positions and 19 were SOOL
https://www.kcrg.com/2022/03/24/hy-vee- ... PRPWNxItgk
-
skinzfan23
- City Council
- Posts: 11629
- Joined: Mon Feb 09, 2004 11:26 am
- Location: Omaha/Bellevue
Re: HyVee Growth Plans
Yeah that doesn't sound like good PR for HyVee. There is a reason those people went to college and got a degree so maybe they wouldn't have to work in retail. And I am guessing that the retail jobs have lesser pay and also crazier hours as well.
-
ChadJK
- Planning Board
- Posts: 2504
- Joined: Tue Feb 19, 2019 2:51 pm
Re: Hy-Vee Growth Plans
In other news, an offshore IT company has landed a new contract with US regional grocery chain...Doctor Fate wrote: Tue Mar 29, 2022 9:29 am This was trending on Reddit with like 50K upvotes and 4K comments. The CEO laid off IT and marketing employees and then offered them retail positions, and then said that if they didn't want the retail job he didn't want them at Hy-Vee?
-
TransitOriented
- Library Board
- Posts: 379
- Joined: Wed Nov 17, 2021 8:55 am
Re: Hy-Vee Growth Plans
I know you're joking, but it could be that they have decided to go a new direction with their Aisles Online platform. With Covid making the online shopping more prevalent, it could be that their current system is just not scaling very well.ChadJK wrote: Tue Mar 29, 2022 3:00 pmIn other news, an offshore IT company has landed a new contract with US regional grocery chain...Doctor Fate wrote: Tue Mar 29, 2022 9:29 am This was trending on Reddit with like 50K upvotes and 4K comments. The CEO laid off IT and marketing employees and then offered them retail positions, and then said that if they didn't want the retail job he didn't want them at Hy-Vee?
Quick Googling shows that Tesco uses Oracle (US) software and Carrefour uses Food-X (Canada).
Kroger uses their own (?) Albertsons seems to use a variety of systems.
-
Greg S
- City Council
- Posts: 8991
- Joined: Thu Aug 26, 2004 10:46 am
Re: HyVee Growth Plans
An additional 500 positions eliminated at corporate (trying to get them to take retail positions). Their troubles seemed to be accelerating:
https://www.3newsnow.com/news/local-new ... 1T1Mzy31wg
Greg
https://www.3newsnow.com/news/local-new ... 1T1Mzy31wg
Greg
-
iamjacobm
- City Council
- Posts: 10813
- Joined: Sat Apr 10, 2010 6:52 am
- Location: Chicago
Re: HyVee Growth Plans
I wonder if they will ever admit that allocating 15% of their square footage for bath bombs and crappy clothes was a bad move.
-
Brad
- Photographer
- Posts: 1036562
- Joined: Sat Feb 28, 2004 6:03 pm
- Location: Omaha, NE
Re: HyVee Growth Plans
LOL! And don't forget Walburgers...iamjacobm wrote: Wed Apr 27, 2022 10:59 pm I wonder if they will ever admit that allocating 15% of their square footage for bath bombs and crappy clothes was a bad move.

Omaha Skyline Photos, Omaha Aerial Photos, and More.
Website: www.bradwilliamsphotography.com
Facebook: www.facebook.com/bradwilliamsphotography
Twitter: www.twitter.com/bradwphoto
Instagram: www.instagram.com/bradwilliamsphotography
YouTube: www.youtube.com/@bradwilliamsphoto
-
iamjacobm
- City Council
- Posts: 10813
- Joined: Sat Apr 10, 2010 6:52 am
- Location: Chicago
Re: HyVee Growth Plans
Good lord that is a joke too. Who wants a waiter at the grocery store? heck this makes me feel old, but I remember their old greasy breakfast being pretty popular.
They really just threw stuff at the wall the past 5 years, I think I remember reading they put a gym in their new stores in Minneapolis too??? They were a great grocer, really seems like they got away from their core competency.
-
Louie
- County Board
- Posts: 4936
- Joined: Fri Dec 23, 2011 4:23 pm
- Location: Dundee
Re: HyVee Growth Plans
I'll never understand why they felt the need to diversify. People always need groceries! It's an industry that grows simply by people existing! Haiamjacobm wrote: Wed Apr 27, 2022 11:31 pmGood lord that is a joke too. Who wants a waiter at the grocery store? heck this makes me feel old, but I remember their old greasy breakfast being pretty popular.
They really just threw stuff at the wall the past 5 years, I think I remember reading they put a gym in their new stores in Minneapolis too??? They were a great grocer, really seems like they got away from their core competency.
-
djc311
- Planning Board
- Posts: 2139
- Joined: Tue Mar 09, 2004 10:44 pm
- Location: Omaha
Re: HyVee Growth Plans
I completely agree - and I've heard their newest store in Omaha (Gretna) out here on 192nd and 370 is going to have even more oddball |expletive| in it. A nail salon (which I suppose isn't completely stupid, but just like getting a hair cut I wouldn't go to the grocery store to do it), plus some other first-time things.Louie wrote: Thu Apr 28, 2022 7:49 amI'll never understand why they felt the need to diversify. People always need groceries! It's an industry that grows simply by people existing! Haiamjacobm wrote: Wed Apr 27, 2022 11:31 pmGood lord that is a joke too. Who wants a waiter at the grocery store? heck this makes me feel old, but I remember their old greasy breakfast being pretty popular.
They really just threw stuff at the wall the past 5 years, I think I remember reading they put a gym in their new stores in Minneapolis too??? They were a great grocer, really seems like they got away from their core competency.
They'll never admit to becoming too diversified... they'll simply pull stuff out of stores like it never existed. I usually shop at 180th and Q which has the smallest footprint for total sq. ft. for a HyVee in Omaha so they didn't shove any of that extra junk in there. I think at one time you could drop off dry cleaning but they even got rid of that to allocate more space to online orders. They also kicked out First National Bank late last year and now put out seasonal stuff in that space.
The whole concept of selling clothes in a grocery store is mind boggling. Target and WalMart can do it because they have more dedicated space to home goods than what should normally be a grocery store. I do remember back in my college days I learned that basically grocery stores have a net profit of $0.02 of every dollar of product sold. After overhead and COGs, I can see that. But bringing in clothes that no one wants to buy is not going to fix it. And I can tell you my wife has never once bought makeup, nail polish, etc at HyVee even if we're at 180th and Pacific.
IMO, if HyVee feels the need to build their stores so large then they should consider leasing out sections to other merchants. They do it with Urgent Care, Banks and Starbucks. I guess you could say Wallyburgers too, but HyVee has a vested interest in that place.
On a side note, I understand everything has increased in cost over the last 2 years, but I was at HyVee the other day and a box of cereal was like $6. Is that the way it is everywhere now? I also made the mistake of buying pre-cooked, pre-cut chicken breast strips for my wife as requested and they were $6.50 for 10 oz. Could have bought 3 lbs of chicken breast and cooked them at home myself! LOL
I must be getting old, too!
-
almighty_tuna
- City Council
- Posts: 106375
- Joined: Tue Apr 13, 2004 1:34 pm
- Location: Somewhere between downtown and Colorado
Re: HyVee Growth Plans
You're not wrong. Hy-Vee is way more expensive than most anywhere else in town besides Whole Paycheck. The only things I deliberately pick up there are their pineapple brats, which also have risen dramatically in price, shallots, and their deli meats. I guess they have to pay for those all those NFL and F1 endorsements somehow.djc311 wrote: Thu Apr 28, 2022 9:00 am On a side note, I understand everything has increased in cost over the last 2 years, but I was at HyVee the other day and a box of cereal was like $6. Is that the way it is everywhere now? I also made the mistake of buying pre-cooked, pre-cut chicken breast strips for my wife as requested and they were $6.50 for 10 oz. Could have bought 3 lbs of chicken breast and cooked them at home myself! LOL
-
TransitOriented
- Library Board
- Posts: 379
- Joined: Wed Nov 17, 2021 8:55 am
Re: HyVee Growth Plans
10 for $8 last Tuesday. They are often on sale 10 for $10, which has been that way for many years.almighty_tuna wrote: Thu Apr 28, 2022 9:19 am The only things I deliberately pick up there are their pineapple brats, which also have risen dramatically in price
I don't understand how they have so many people at their corporate office. With 500 more eliminated, how many are left? What did those people do?
-
Greg S
- City Council
- Posts: 8991
- Joined: Thu Aug 26, 2004 10:46 am
Re: HyVee Growth Plans
I was in one last summer in southern Minneapolis that had baby clothes and a DSW in it. Very weird.iamjacobm wrote: Wed Apr 27, 2022 11:31 pmGood lord that is a joke too. Who wants a waiter at the grocery store? heck this makes me feel old, but I remember their old greasy breakfast being pretty popular.
They really just threw stuff at the wall the past 5 years, I think I remember reading they put a gym in their new stores in Minneapolis too??? They were a great grocer, really seems like they got away from their core competency.
Greg
-
Garrett
- County Board
- Posts: 4694
- Joined: Wed Nov 26, 2008 6:29 pm
- Location: New York City
Re: HyVee Growth Plans
I can buy cereal significantly cheaper than that here in NYC. Whole Foods is actually much more affordable than it used to be tooalmighty_tuna wrote: Thu Apr 28, 2022 9:19 amYou're not wrong. Hy-Vee is way more expensive than most anywhere else in town besides Whole Paycheck. The only things I deliberately pick up there are their pineapple brats, which also have risen dramatically in price, shallots, and their deli meats. I guess they have to pay for those all those NFL and F1 endorsements somehow.djc311 wrote: Thu Apr 28, 2022 9:00 am On a side note, I understand everything has increased in cost over the last 2 years, but I was at HyVee the other day and a box of cereal was like $6. Is that the way it is everywhere now? I also made the mistake of buying pre-cooked, pre-cut chicken breast strips for my wife as requested and they were $6.50 for 10 oz. Could have bought 3 lbs of chicken breast and cooked them at home myself! LOL
OMA-->CHI-->NYC
-
djc311
- Planning Board
- Posts: 2139
- Joined: Tue Mar 09, 2004 10:44 pm
- Location: Omaha
Re: HyVee Growth Plans
I wish they'd just go back to offering a Helpful Smile in Every Aisle and lower their prices... and stick to selling food.almighty_tuna wrote: Thu Apr 28, 2022 9:19 amYou're not wrong. Hy-Vee is way more expensive than most anywhere else in town besides Whole Paycheck. The only things I deliberately pick up there are their pineapple brats, which also have risen dramatically in price, shallots, and their deli meats. I guess they have to pay for those all those NFL and F1 endorsements somehow.djc311 wrote: Thu Apr 28, 2022 9:00 am On a side note, I understand everything has increased in cost over the last 2 years, but I was at HyVee the other day and a box of cereal was like $6. Is that the way it is everywhere now? I also made the mistake of buying pre-cooked, pre-cut chicken breast strips for my wife as requested and they were $6.50 for 10 oz. Could have bought 3 lbs of chicken breast and cooked them at home myself! LOL
Another thing that chaps my hide with the one on 180th & Q is they run out of |expletive| ALL the time! Yesterday I ran there for some sour cream and cheese and wanted to get regular HyVee brand vanilla yogurt. Was there at around 6pm... they were completely out. Had to get their house brand Greek yogurt which was about $7/container vs. the reg yogurt at $3.50. I was told they don't have as much space in back for overflow product/stock like their other stores. Well, build on to the west end by the liquor store and stock more food.
They were also out of canned rolls for a very long time - they even had a sign up on the shelves saying it was a vendor supply shortage, which I don't doubt. But I could get them at Walmart, so...
-
Louie
- County Board
- Posts: 4936
- Joined: Fri Dec 23, 2011 4:23 pm
- Location: Dundee
Re: HyVee Growth Plans
Walmart has more control over the distribution channels than practically anybody. When they have out of stocks, you know everyone usually does.djc311 wrote: Thu Apr 28, 2022 11:02 amI wish they'd just go back to offering a Helpful Smile in Every Aisle and lower their prices... and stick to selling food.almighty_tuna wrote: Thu Apr 28, 2022 9:19 amYou're not wrong. Hy-Vee is way more expensive than most anywhere else in town besides Whole Paycheck. The only things I deliberately pick up there are their pineapple brats, which also have risen dramatically in price, shallots, and their deli meats. I guess they have to pay for those all those NFL and F1 endorsements somehow.djc311 wrote: Thu Apr 28, 2022 9:00 am On a side note, I understand everything has increased in cost over the last 2 years, but I was at HyVee the other day and a box of cereal was like $6. Is that the way it is everywhere now? I also made the mistake of buying pre-cooked, pre-cut chicken breast strips for my wife as requested and they were $6.50 for 10 oz. Could have bought 3 lbs of chicken breast and cooked them at home myself! LOL
Another thing that chaps my hide with the one on 180th & Q is they run out of |expletive| ALL the time! Yesterday I ran there for some sour cream and cheese and wanted to get regular HyVee brand vanilla yogurt. Was there at around 6pm... they were completely out. Had to get their house brand Greek yogurt which was about $7/container vs. the reg yogurt at $3.50. I was told they don't have as much space in back for overflow product/stock like their other stores. Well, build on to the west end by the liquor store and stock more food.
They were also out of canned rolls for a very long time - they even had a sign up on the shelves saying it was a vendor supply shortage, which I don't doubt. But I could get them at Walmart, so...
-
skinzfan23
- City Council
- Posts: 11629
- Joined: Mon Feb 09, 2004 11:26 am
- Location: Omaha/Bellevue
Re: HyVee Growth Plans
Funny....I 100% agree with everything that is mentioned above....I only go to Hyvee for sales and pineapple brats!
I completely believe that why they are struggling so much is that they did move away from the core competency. It is completely fine and acceptable to take on other parts of business over time, but they seem like they are just pulling things out of a hat and trying to make them work.
Maybe they should ask the consumer what they want. Everyone knew Hyvee as "a helpful smile in every aisle" , they had a good breakfast (granted I know a bunch of people sitting around drinking coffee all day isn't going to bring in profit).
Now all people know them for is super high prices (I believe a $6 box of cereal was mentioned, that is ridiculous, I go to Bakers and they never have any cereal at a price like that. and most of the time they are $1.79 - $2.79 for name brand on sale)
I can't for the life of me understand why they are even busy at all. Even their service has gone downhill a lot. With the exception of the meat counter, most employees in the store have no clue about anything in the store. I don't know if they still do this but with the online shopping craze they were hiring a bunch of workers to walk around the store and fill up baskets of food. I know that they are just doing their job, but they never move out of the way and don't add to the in-store shopping experience one bit.
One last gripe I have about Hy-Vee: their produce really sucks as well. The fruit is always smaller than what I find at Bakers or Aldi for twice as much money. Not to mention how many times I have seen mold on things like raspberries and strawberries.
I completely believe that why they are struggling so much is that they did move away from the core competency. It is completely fine and acceptable to take on other parts of business over time, but they seem like they are just pulling things out of a hat and trying to make them work.
Maybe they should ask the consumer what they want. Everyone knew Hyvee as "a helpful smile in every aisle" , they had a good breakfast (granted I know a bunch of people sitting around drinking coffee all day isn't going to bring in profit).
Now all people know them for is super high prices (I believe a $6 box of cereal was mentioned, that is ridiculous, I go to Bakers and they never have any cereal at a price like that. and most of the time they are $1.79 - $2.79 for name brand on sale)
I can't for the life of me understand why they are even busy at all. Even their service has gone downhill a lot. With the exception of the meat counter, most employees in the store have no clue about anything in the store. I don't know if they still do this but with the online shopping craze they were hiring a bunch of workers to walk around the store and fill up baskets of food. I know that they are just doing their job, but they never move out of the way and don't add to the in-store shopping experience one bit.
One last gripe I have about Hy-Vee: their produce really sucks as well. The fruit is always smaller than what I find at Bakers or Aldi for twice as much money. Not to mention how many times I have seen mold on things like raspberries and strawberries.
-
almighty_tuna
- City Council
- Posts: 106375
- Joined: Tue Apr 13, 2004 1:34 pm
- Location: Somewhere between downtown and Colorado
Re: HyVee Growth Plans
Ahh, produce. I pine for Fresh Thyme to come back. They had amazing produce at great prices. Plus, their marinated adobo steak at the meat counter (for only $6/lb in the before times, mind you) was the bomb.com.
But I digress. I'm considering heading up to HyVee this weekend to see what they have on sale for home electronics. My theater sub is on the fritz.
But I digress. I'm considering heading up to HyVee this weekend to see what they have on sale for home electronics. My theater sub is on the fritz.
-
djc311
- Planning Board
- Posts: 2139
- Joined: Tue Mar 09, 2004 10:44 pm
- Location: Omaha
Re: HyVee Growth Plans
Let me know if they have any riding mowers on sale, please!almighty_tuna wrote: Thu Apr 28, 2022 1:08 pm Ahh, produce. I pine for Fresh Thyme to come back. They had amazing produce at great prices. Plus, their marinated adobo steak at the meat counter (for only $6/lb in the before times, mind you) was the bomb.com.
But I digress. I'm considering heading up to HyVee this weekend to see what they have on sale for home electronics. My theater sub is on the fritz.
-
skinzfan23
- City Council
- Posts: 11629
- Joined: Mon Feb 09, 2004 11:26 am
- Location: Omaha/Bellevue
Re: HyVee Growth Plans
Sounds like HyVee is laying off another more than 50 corporate employees , that is insane. Seems to me they seriously have some issues, many of which we discussed above.
Another nearly 60 positions…
More, from WHO:
Another nearly 60 positions…
More, from WHO:
Today, we moved forward with eliminating an additional 57 positions across our corporate offices. This number includes employees from our IT, engineering, equipment, real estate and construction departments. All of these employees were offered retail positions at Hy-Vee and will be provided 30 days of pay and benefits.
With the other changes we have made across our company in recent weeks, we have reduced our corporate office staff by more than 415 positions. These have come in the form of employees transferring to leadership positions at retail, employees taking early retirement, or employees voluntarily leaving the company to seek other opportunities.
We feel confident that these changes will help us be better prepared for the potential difficulties to come.
TINA POTTHOFF, SENIOR VICE PRESIDENT, COMMUNICATIONS
-
djc311
- Planning Board
- Posts: 2139
- Joined: Tue Mar 09, 2004 10:44 pm
- Location: Omaha
Re: HyVee Growth Plans
What additional difficulties are they expecting? Hire ppl that know how to pull online orders... get rid of clothing, shoes, makeup and other non-essential items that customers are likely NOT buying anyways (I'm sure we'd never see total retail sales for those segments, but it can't be anywhere close to Target, Walmart, etc).skinzfan23 wrote: Fri May 06, 2022 2:44 pm Sounds like HyVee is laying off another more than 50 corporate employees , that is insane. Seems to me they seriously have some issues, many of which we discussed above.
Another nearly 60 positions…
More, from WHO:
Today, we moved forward with eliminating an additional 57 positions across our corporate offices. This number includes employees from our IT, engineering, equipment, real estate and construction departments. All of these employees were offered retail positions at Hy-Vee and will be provided 30 days of pay and benefits.
With the other changes we have made across our company in recent weeks, we have reduced our corporate office staff by more than 415 positions. These have come in the form of employees transferring to leadership positions at retail, employees taking early retirement, or employees voluntarily leaving the company to seek other opportunities.
We feel confident that these changes will help us be better prepared for the potential difficulties to come.
TINA POTTHOFF, SENIOR VICE PRESIDENT, COMMUNICATIONS
I stopped into the HyVee on 180th & Q today to pick up a prescription and they had a rack of 50% Joe Fresh pink tanks. They didn't look like they were associated with a particular event (ie, breast cancer awareness, etc) and they probably had over 50 of them for sale. If that HyVee has 50, how many do all of the others have?
They just need the helpful smile in every aisle... and keep pumping out that good Chinese food.
BTW, if they've eliminated 415 positions at the exec/corp level, how many do they still have?
-
Bob from Omaha
- Planning Board
- Posts: 3079
- Joined: Wed Sep 08, 2004 3:00 pm
- Location: Metro Detroit Michigan
Re: HyVee Growth Plans
Well, if the jackass at the top keeps it up it could be just him.djc311 wrote: Fri May 06, 2022 4:18 pm BTW, if they've eliminated 415 positions at the exec/corp level, how many do they still have?
-
Busguy2010
- City Council
- Posts: 7328
- Joined: Sat Apr 09, 2011 7:32 pm
- Location: North Central Omaha
Re: HyVee Growth Plans
Man, that press release leaves such a bad taste in my mouth. It makes it sound like a good thing that basicallyskinzfan23 wrote: Fri May 06, 2022 2:44 pm Sounds like HyVee is laying off another more than 50 corporate employees , that is insane. Seems to me they seriously have some issues, many of which we discussed above.
Another nearly 60 positions…
More, from WHO:
Today, we moved forward with eliminating an additional 57 positions across our corporate offices. This number includes employees from our IT, engineering, equipment, real estate and construction departments. All of these employees were offered retail positions at Hy-Vee and will be provided 30 days of pay and benefits.
With the other changes we have made across our company in recent weeks, we have reduced our corporate office staff by more than 415 positions. These have come in the form of employees transferring to leadership positions at retail, employees taking early retirement, or employees voluntarily leaving the company to seek other opportunities.
We feel confident that these changes will help us be better prepared for the potential difficulties to come.
TINA POTTHOFF, SENIOR VICE PRESIDENT, COMMUNICATIONS
"We kicked 500 people to the curb, but not really, because we offered them a job they wouldn't want, and we even let them retire early (quit) or seek jobs with other companies... All so we can focus on trying to sell sh1t our customers don't want anyway. Oh yeah, and the communications manager is fired next.
-
ChadJK
- Planning Board
- Posts: 2504
- Joined: Tue Feb 19, 2019 2:51 pm
Re: Hy-Vee Growth Plans
Sounds like Hy-Vee is gearing up for a crḁp economy.We feel confident that these changes will help us be better prepared for the potential difficulties to come.